Link bait, but seriously I don't like having mobile multitasking os with the "user invisible" non-os processes.

First it force users to use task managers, concept neither intuitive nor easy for average person.
    Second, suddenly applications are running in background, which you neither want or asked to - I talking about you 4square.

I was thinking about something like "minimised lockable active frame" to cater to the applications who need to be active on background all the time to work properly, are there other concepts how to solve this?

Where you are on headless apps? Must have, not care or hate them?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 07:36 AM
    How about 'like to have', depending on the app? I wouldn't want all apps to go headless -- most I would always want to know if they're running. But some, like wallpaper apps or monitoring type apps I wouldn't mind running completely in the background. Certainly not a must-have for me, but a nice-to-have, for sure.
    04-06-14 08:41 AM
    Isn't the point of headless apps so they don't have to ben open and running to receive notifications? Aren't there switches to enable and disable being headless?
    04-06-14 09:29 AM
    I would like a quick gesture to show all running processes front and back with the ability to kill certain ones.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, BBPandy, Omnitech and 3 others like this.
    04-06-14 09:37 AM
    How about 'like to have', depending on the app? I wouldn't want all apps to go headless -- most I would always want to know if they're running. But some, like wallpaper apps or monitoring type apps I wouldn't mind running completely in the background. Certainly not a must-have for me, but a nice-to-have, for sure.
    How about I propose a "half a half" compromise?

Like this

Traditional:

[=] [=]

[=] [=]

[=] [=]

[=] [=]

(that's 2 pages of active frames, right?

Proposed:

Page 1
    ==============
    [=] [=]

[=] [=]
    ==============

Page 2
    ==============
    [=] [=]

[=] [=]
    ==============

Page 3
    ==============
    #####
    ====
    $$$$
    %%%%
    ^^^^
    !!!!
    &&&&
    ==============

(page 3 continues)

So what we'll have is that page 1 and 2 still have the 4x4 rectangular logo,
    but the headless is marked as a single line single bar icon, that stretches left to right. A page should have 8 of them, top down, with very little border spacing.

If there are a lot of headless, all the user needs to do is just scroll down. When no apps, or less than 4/8 apps used, they get bumped down, like this

Page 1
    ===========
    [=] [=]

[=] (only 3 apps is running in this page, as an example)

===========

Page 2
    ===========
    #####
    ====
    $$$$
    %%%%
    ^^^^
    (empty if not running)

===========

I think that it should be visually more attractive, and also users will know what apps are running headless.
    04-06-14 09:38 AM
    For me I think it is needed for some apps to run headless. IE notification apps. I don't need or want indication that it is running I just want it to run.

You are welcome to revoke run in background permissions at any time.

App manager is pretty easy to use and you can pin it to the quick setting menu making it very accessible.

Posted via CB10
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    04-06-14 10:55 AM
    I want headless apps. Like BeBuzz which I wasn't going to get until it went headless.

Notification apps don't need to run headless if they use BlackBerry push services. BeWeather, USA Today, and the NFL Mobile apps all push notifications without running headless.

But, I would like to keep Facebook from running headless as it constantly uses data in the background even though I turned off all notifications from it in the hub. I only want Facebook to run the 4 or 5 times a month I actually open it to see what brain farts my family members have had recently. I certainly don't need to see all that on an hourly basis. There is no option to prevent Facebook from running in the background in permissions like other third party apps that can run headless have.

I have no problem with third party headless apps, since if you buy them, then you'd have to want them. And, you can control if they run headless or not.

But, it is the few BlackBerry provided apps that should have a bit more user control of them. But that goes with everything they do. Including the contact auto-import and auto-linking I don't want. I only recently discovered that you can close Facebook in the App Manager. At least there's that.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:29 AM
    OK, so to start there are two classes of headless apps: long and short running.

Long running applications can run at any and all times. For this a special permission needs to be added to the developer's signing keys. BlackBerry is being very careful, some would say to careful, about giving out these permissions. There are only a small number approved so far.

Short running headless applications only run when a specific trigger occurs, and can then only run for 20 seconds using limited CPU and memory.

A long running application could cause the issues you are afraid of. Short running could only if your usage caused a lot of triggers.

Posted via CB10
    masque2 likes this.
    04-06-14 11:30 AM
    OK, so to start there are two classes of headless apps: long and short running.

Long running applications can run at any and all times. For this a special permission needs to be added to the developer's signing keys. BlackBerry is being very careful, some would say to careful, about giving out these permissions. There are only a small number approved so far.

Short running headless applications only run when a specific trigger occurs, and can then only run for 20 seconds using limited CPU and memory.

A long running application could cause the issues you are afraid of. Short running could only if your usage caused a lot of triggers.

Posted via CB10
    I will admit to being pretty clueless about short/long running headless. I know that they exist but don't have any concrete examples? I've probably got more than my share of long running ones going ClipManager, OnLocation, Battery/System Analyzer, BB Travel and I have purchased but don't use (uninstalled at the moment) some of the others (Watcher, Power Tools, flipshush, SayIt, ProfileChanger....). But do you have any examples of SHORT running ones? And what triggers them or some of them?
    04-06-14 11:52 AM
    They are only very few triggers available at the moment in the SDK, so many applications that would be candidates for short running headless have actually applied for long running headless permissions.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:47 PM
    I'm ok with there being headless apps. It is a necessity for some, but this has to be monitored so apps that shouldn't be headless aren't made headless.

What I would like to see is an improved way of managing them via the app manager. It should have a way to easily see what headless apps are currently running and what they are doing. That is something that is currently missing in the otherwise great BB10 app manager

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 01:15 PM
    I will admit to being pretty clueless about short/long running headless. I know that they exist but don't have any concrete examples? I've probably got more than my share of long running ones going ClipManager, OnLocation, Battery/System Analyzer, BB Travel and I have purchased but don't use (uninstalled at the moment) some of the others (Watcher, Power Tools, flipshush, SayIt, ProfileChanger....). But do you have any examples of SHORT running ones? And what triggers them or some of them?
    I'm not sure BB Travel is longrunning. BlackBerry isn't confined to published APIs so I imagine it runs from push and message received triggers. The latest information I have from the dev of Flip Shush and what is in BB World it isn't either short or long running. Profile Changer is, and if you want to let an app burn through resources to accomplish what it provides then that may be important to you.

One of the problems that plagued BBOS, I know from first hand trying to diagnose problems with important services, was the ability for any trivial application to run in the background and load the system down. Or if the developer didn't really know what they were doing, freeze the UI. So now we have tension between what users want and developers want to build and the usability and endurance of the system. Masque2 is right in saying that some applications have implemented long running because there aren't triggers available. I think that is a bad strategy on their part. They are developing the market but putting themselves in a potential race when more triggers come out. Competitors will be able to offer much better performing alternatives and maybe beat them to the puch.

Triggers that are available are: System Start (or application install), Geofencing in/out, Push Data, Port Directed SMS, Application Updated. It is a small list but Developer Relations is willing to take suggestions and implement them.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-06-14 04:46 PM
    Triggers that are available are: System Start (or application install), Geofencing in/out, Push Data, Port Directed SMS, Application Updated. It is a small list but Developer Relations is willing to take suggestions and implement them.
    So I assume that foursquare is launching itself on Push Data, still I would like to have control over this.

Also, thanks for info about short- and longrunning headless apps, was new to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 12:34 AM
    I want headless apps. Like BeBuzz which I wasn't going to get until it went headless.

Notification apps don't need to run headless if they use BlackBerry push services. BeWeather, USA Today, and the NFL Mobile apps all push notifications without running headless.

But, I would like to keep Facebook from running headless as it constantly uses data in the background even though I turned off all notifications from it in the hub. I only want Facebook to run the 4 or 5 times a month I actually open it to see what brain farts my family members have had recently. I certainly don't need to see all that on an hourly basis. There is no option to prevent Facebook from running in the background in permissions like other third party apps that can run headless have.

I have no problem with third party headless apps, since if you buy them, then you'd have to want them. And, you can control if they run headless or not.

But, it is the few BlackBerry provided apps that should have a bit more user control of them. But that goes with everything they do. Including the contact auto-import and auto-linking I don't want. I only recently discovered that you can close Facebook in the App Manager. At least there's that.

Posted via CB10
    Uninstall Facebook and just check it when you want to.
    04-07-14 07:02 AM
    Uninstall Facebook and just check it when you want to.
    I have thought about it. Delete the app, and just check it using the mobile site.

But it is nice having the app. Even if I only look at it once a week. Still, until they get control of the app better...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-14 08:38 AM

Well technically speaking any application that responds to a push notification is at least a short running headless application.
    04-07-14 08:43 AM
    I have thought about it. Delete the app, and just check it using the mobile site.

But it is nice having the app. Even if I only look at it once a week. Still, until they get control of the app better...

Posted via CB10
    I use no social networks like those. First thing I remove. I see where that would be a pain too.
    04-07-14 10:07 AM
    Sounds like BlackBerry are too complex for your use.

Playskool makes some that might fit you better.

Geesh....

Headless apps are a must have!

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    04-07-14 01:13 PM
    Sounds like BlackBerrys are too complex for your use.

Playskool makes some that might fit you better.

Geesh....

Headless apps are a must have!

04-07-14 01:13 PM