For those awaiting news about headless applications, there is some coming at BBJam 2013.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-08-13 01:17 PM
    Wish I could go, had free passes through work and everything, just too much going on. Anyone know if DVDs can be purchased for sessions if you dont attend?
    05-08-13 01:38 PM
    Wish I could go, had free passes through work and everything, just too much going on. Anyone know if DVDs can be purchased for sessions if you dont attend?
    I think if you actually register for any sessions, even though you can't really go, they will send you a link afterwards to view content online.
    When I have a minute (and remember) I'll look what they sent me after I registered but didn't attend a BB Jam here in Vancouver last year.
    05-08-13 02:10 PM
    I think if you actually register for any sessions, even though you can't really go, they will send you a link afterwards to view content online.
    When I have a minute (and remember) I'll look what they sent me after I registered but didn't attend a BB Jam here in Vancouver last year.
    Awesome thank you!
    05-08-13 02:11 PM
    Can you PM me the link because I'm not registered for any sessions yet I would like to learn about it

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:35 PM
    yeah where is the link
    Last edited by Alain_A; 05-09-13 at 11:15 AM.
    05-08-13 07:48 PM
    I wonder if the no headless app has held back devs/apps from being in BBW??
    05-09-13 09:07 AM
    For those awaiting news about headless applications, there is some coming at BBJam 2013.
    Anyone know if headless apps will also be able to autostart with the phone?

And will this ability be available for WebWorks... or just Cascades?
    05-11-13 07:55 AM
    Anyone know if headless apps will also be able to autostart with the phone?

And will this ability be available for WebWorks... or just Cascades?
    Yes, there are a number of triggers, system start is apparently one.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:12 AM
    BBJam Americas has ended. This whole discussion is complete.
    All we know is WhatsApp kinda uses this framework, but when is it going to come out for real? I think instead of 10.1 or 10.3 or 10.10, BBRY should focus on getting this framework out the door as soon as possible.

BlackBerry is known for productivity. But I can't be productive if task apps cannot remind me about my tasks while being closed.
    06-13-13 02:30 AM
    BBJam Americas has ended. This whole discussion is complete.
    All we know is WhatsApp kinda uses this framework, but when is it going to come out for real? I think instead of 10.1 or 10.3 or 10.10, BBRY should focus on getting this framework out the door as soon as possible.

BlackBerry is known for productivity. But I can't be productive if task apps cannot remind me about my tasks while being closed.
    Well we know it will be in 10.2, beta will be out this month.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 05:13 AM
    Well we know it will be in 10.2, beta will be out this month.
    It should be out this month...fingers crossed.
    06-13-13 05:37 AM
    It should be out this month...fingers crossed.
    The github samples are already being brought into line with 10.2, which is nice to see having experienced it the other way. I have confidence.
    06-13-13 08:49 AM
    06-13-13 12:32 PM
    I'm not a developer but this "Deep integration" thing interests me.

We've seen how easy it is for Apple to rip off interface features so BlackBerry really needs to innovate with app integration with the OS.

The more seamless the experience is, the better off for the user. I shouldn't need two file managers on my phone, apps like PlayCloud should have the capability to modify and extend the native file manager. Photo editing apps for example should be able to modify the default photo editor with filters and other features.
    06-13-13 12:38 PM
    To some degree that facility is already there in the form of 'cards'. When you open a DOC attachment in an email what you get is a 'card' from DocsToGo that opens the document. Other applications could take advantage of that to allow you to view DOC files. Conversely an application can register a photo filter service card that 'opens' or 'shares' images. You could then open an image from a file browser with the filter card, or share the image from the camera app to the filter card.

Box and Evernote are already pretty much like that. The problem is do you craft your application like that, which is pretty cool, but many users will think your app doesn't do anything. Like Box and Evernote. If you start them they really don't do much, all the functionality is deeply integrated into the OS.

It is a paradigm that will take a while for developers and users to wrap their heads around but has real promise for unified look and feel which will help a lot with intuitive use.
    06-13-13 01:31 PM
    To some degree that facility is already there in the form of 'cards'. When you open a DOC attachment in an email what you get is a 'card' from DocsToGo that opens the document. Other applications could take advantage of that to allow you to view DOC files. Conversely an application can register a photo filter service card that 'opens' or 'shares' images. You could then open an image from a file browser with the filter card, or share the image from the camera app to the filter card.

Box and Evernote are already pretty much like that. The problem is do you craft your application like that, which is pretty cool, but many users will think your app doesn't do anything. Like Box and Evernote. If you start them they really don't do much, all the functionality is deeply integrated into the OS.

It is a paradigm that will take a while for developers and users to wrap their heads around but has real promise for unified look and feel which will help a lot with intuitive use.
    You mean something like twitter when there are mentions?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 09:39 AM
    You mean something like twitter when there are mentions?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, exactly.
    06-19-13 04:04 PM
    Yes, exactly.
    Ah. But they're not as feature rich! I would have been great if we had the same features of replying to a tweet on mentions like we do on the app itself. But nope.

Is that a limitation? Cuz I think it would have been great if we could compose a tweet instead of a message through the compose menu on the hub.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 12:24 AM
    Headless API. Wow. How the heck does that enable delightful mobile experiences. Where are the native CASCADES apps??? Where are the business apps???

The whole "Internet of Things" trend is whack.

Why not promote the heck out of the most under utilized APIs like push, GPS, hub integration, data storage, ui and UX, super app experiences, content rich application design.

Not sure if things really changed at BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:30 AM
    Ah. But they're not as feature rich! I would have been great if we had the same features of replying to a tweet on mentions like we do on the app itself. But nope.

Is that a limitation? Cuz I think it would have been great if we could compose a tweet instead of a message through the compose menu on the hub.

Posted via CB10
    It is a limitation of how the card was implemented, not the API.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 07:03 AM
    Headless API. Wow. How the heck does that enable delightful mobile experiences. Where are the native CASCADES apps??? Where are the business apps???

The whole "Internet of Things" trend is whack.

Why not promote the heck out of the most under utilized APIs like push, GPS, hub integration, data storage, ui and UX, super app experiences, content rich application design.

Not sure if things really changed at BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    We won't know until developers get a chance to use it. Headless is not the same as not interactive. A headless application could receive push, use the GPS, and integrate with the Hub to provide a contact rich Cascades experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 07:08 AM