How can I switch the options to only numbers for the phone password? Without having the letters??
    Please help

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 03:24 PM
    I'm talking about the z10

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 03:25 PM
    You can set the password to anything you like. I would caution against only numbers as this is a very simple password and can easily be broken. To get into number lock, simply press and hold the ?123 key. Not sure why you would need this, as the top row of the keyboard (when entering passwords) is nothing but numbers?

Moved to BB10 OS forum.
    03-25-13 07:09 PM
    To get into number lock, simply press and hold the ?123 key. Not sure why you would need this, as the top row of the keyboard (when entering passwords) is nothing but numbers?
    Read the OP, and ye shall be answered. (Registered purely to reply to the wilful apathy bleeding copiously from the quoted post)

The whole point of an iPhone type lockscreen is that the actual buttons are LIMITED to numbers, the buttons themselves are at least 4 the size (if not larger, and therefore *MUCH* easier to hit), and you can still make a complex password (on both iphones and Blackberries) by using more than 4 digits. And you don’t even have to remember a long string of numbers to use a numerical password… look beneath any number on a standard phone keypad. See those letters, three or four per number? Spell out a phrase or word longer than four digits, and you have your long password, just all in numbers but encoded as a phrase or word which is easy to remember.

Tah-daaaah!

Using a Z10 for work, but eager for the day when Blackberry becomes as user-friendly and anticipatory as iOS. The ability for iOS to instinctively provide more than four digits for a password, and to switch keyboards (numeric dialer vs full keyboard) depending on whether the password is all numbers or includes letters, is a major indicator of how deeply Apple thinks about every single little detail. If they screw up, it tends to be on the technical side, not the Usability end of things.

FYI, I have a 10-digit numeric password on my iPhone, and only the dialer keypad, with its 12 big, fat, easy-to-hit keys comes up… now only if Blackberry could do the same.
    06-08-13 11:09 AM
    The point of a password is to make something safe. Read... PASSWORD, not PIN.

Of course you can choose just numbers, but assuming a character length of only 4 (because really, do people put more than what is required), 36^4 (not counting symbols) > 12^4... the possibilities presented as the input method.

I'm not sure if BlackBerry should dumb this part down as it prevents someone from glancing and recognizing patterns for an unlock (I've done it to friend's iPhones). Sigh, I guess we can have an option for that.
    06-08-13 05:03 PM
    My iPhone has an 10 digit numerical password, based off of a phrase. Almost half of the numbers are used more than once, making a smudge-print analysis an order of magnitude harder. I enter the passphrase with two thumbs, allowing me to alternate between them and have the phone unlocked within 3.5 seconds (on average… sometimes I can get it unlocked in less than three seconds. And yes, this includes hitting the “OK” button on the right side of the password field, which is what you get with numerical passwords of more than four digits).

The problem I have with the Blackberry is that it does not provide a phone-style, 12-key keypad for numerical-only passwords like the iPhone does. As such, not only are the buttons far smaller, but they are also much harder to properly hit. It typically takes me about eight to ten seconds to unlock my Z10, because I have to ensure I hit those tiny little digits across the top of the full-sized keyboard. And I’m only using the first six digits of the passphrase, and not all 10 like on my iPhone.
    Last edited by rekabis; 06-13-13 at 02:22 AM. Reason: clarity of phrasing
    06-13-13 02:20 AM
    There's nothing wrong with having a 4 digit password to unlock the phone provided it's implemented properly - xx min lockouts after xx incorrect entries, etc...

I'd argue that it's more secure than the current method of locking the phone.

For one, you don't have the option to manually lock the phone only when you want it locked. If I'm sitting at my desk all day and checking my phone on a regular basis, I don't want to be entering the password on the on-screen keyboard 20 times a day just to glance at the screen. However, if I go out to lunch and have the phone sitting on the table in front of me, I want to manually lock so that it requires a password to unlock. This way, if it gets swiped by someone walking by it's locked, but only locked with a 4 digit number so that it's still easier to unlock quickly by me.

As it is right now, entering passwords on the keyboard is frustrating to the point that I don't use a password on the device.
    06-13-13 02:27 AM
    I want to manually lock so that it requires a password to unlock.
    You can manually lock it by pressing down on the power key at the top for a couple of seconds and selecting Lock from the menu that appears.

As it is right now, entering passwords on the keyboard is frustrating to the point that I don't use a password on the device.
    So true. In their attempt to make it secure they've actually made it less so by implementing one of the worst password entry systems. Either users will completely remove the password or they'll maximize the lock out time and use a simple 4-character password.

It's clear that BBRY put absolutely no thought into this. I can't wait enough for headless apps so that some small-time developer can do what a billion-dollar company couldn't.

This is the only annoying thing about my zed.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 06:10 AM
    You can manually lock it by pressing down on the power key at the top for a couple of seconds and selecting Lock from the menu that appears.
    Indeed you can, but it requires a device password be set and the maximum time before auto-lock is 30 minutes.

I'd prefer it if the device didn't lock automatically but rather only when I want to lock it.
    06-13-13 11:48 AM
    The point of a password is to make something safe. Read... PASSWORD, not PIN.

Of course you can choose just numbers, but assuming a character length of only 4 (because really, do people put more than what is required), 36^4 (not counting symbols) > 12^4... the possibilities presented as the input method.

I'm not sure if BlackBerry should dumb this part down as it prevents someone from glancing and recognizing patterns for an unlock (I've done it to friend's iPhones). Sigh, I guess we can have an option for that.
    Consumers like choice. I shouldnt be forced to be more secure. I just don't want people picking up my phone and getting access to my stuff by default. A 4 digit pin is more than enough for me.
    Having to input it the way blackberry makes us is a pain in the *** so I opt to have nothing at all instead.
    How is this better???
    ssbtech likes this.
    06-13-13 11:59 AM
    I also would prefer my Z10 not to lock unless I lock it. If it weren't for work email I would not have a password at all. I use Password Keeper and have nothing but the privacy of my contacts to be concerned with. Not likely to lose phone, it stays in my Otterbox belt clip.

My name and work number is on my lock screen.

I don't know why some of us have to *****, whine and cry so intensely at every opportunity, just seems like, a childish response. We should take a deep breath and check our attitude before we post.

OP, I somehow lucked out and have a large 12 button numeric keypad appear to unlock my Z10. My wife doesn't like the full alfa-numeric keypad she gets because the numbers are smaller and more difficult to accurately enter.

I setup both Z10's and have no clue as to what was done differently, but would like to change which keypad is summoned to unlock her phone.

And to our Immature members, it sometimes appears you don't have a clue. Be nice, it's more pleasant to read.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 01:38 PM
    I also would prefer my Z10 not to lock unless I lock it. If it weren't for work email I would not have a password at all. I use Password Keeper and have nothing but the privacy of my contacts to be concerned with. Not likely to lose phone, it stays in my Otterbox belt clip.

My name and work number is on my lock screen.

I don't know why some of us have to *****, whine and cry so intensely at every opportunity, just seems like, a childish response. We should take a deep breath and check our attitude before we post.

OP, I somehow lucked out and have a large 12 button numeric keypad appear to unlock my Z10. My wife doesn't like the full alfa-numeric keypad she gets because the numbers are smaller and more difficult to accurately enter.

I setup both Z10's and have no clue as to what was done differently, but would like to change which keypad is summoned to unlock her phone.

And to our Immature members, it sometimes appears you don't have a clue. Be nice, it's more pleasant to read.

Posted via CB10
    Make sure the "Simple Password" is selected in her settings: (Note: Device Password needs to be set to ON as well)

Which should get her this keypad screen for password entry:

Password for the numeric keypad can be pretty much as long as you want. I'm not exactly sure what the minimum and maximum as set for.
    01-01-14 01:53 PM
    Thanks Mr. Monty, the wife thanks you too. I don't have to have devise password selected, I assume because blackberry balance required the password.
    01-02-14 07:00 PM
    I had to completely reinstall my OS on my z30 completely and out of the blue I had the entire keypad instead of only the number keypad which is totally annoying when trying to access my phone fast. So Thanks for the step by step help Mr. Monty !
    01-11-15 02:23 PM