So I was just browsing the forums on my Nexus and over the last 10 ten minutes I've received 4 emails half of which were junk, the other half were important and I replied to them. Each time a notification came in, I swiped down and could read the Subject, the sender, and a preview of the message. From there I could delete, archive or reply to the email. All of that information was viewable after me completing one action.

Notification comes in, I perform one single action and I see this:
    Have they made handling email better yet?-screenshot_2013-11-19-08-30-39.png

I am then able to gain enough information about the notification to determine if it requires further attention from me right now, or if it can be deleted or replied to later. In the example above, it was junk mail. So this happened:

Have they made handling email better yet?-screenshot_2013-11-19-08-31-24.png

5 or so seconds after the notification had arrived, I had determined that it was junk and deleted the email. It would have been even faster, but I spent the time to take screen shots. One action and I know what the notification is. On the second action I can delete it, reply to it or save it for later. That speed allows me to get right back to what I was doing quickly.

The main reason I stopped using and eventually sold off all of my BlackBerry 10 devices was how poorly the new OS handles email. If you're like me, and receive or send hundreds of emails each day, BB10's notification system and the Hub slow you down considerably. I don't want to enter the hub to find out what an email is. I don't want to swipe up and over (first action), then navigate to the appropriate email account (second action) just to determine a email is junk.

I haven't used BB10 in a while now, so I'm curious if the leaks have fixed these problems yet. With BB10, is it possible to be on a website, like I was with my Android phone, receive a notification and find out everything you need to know about it with one action every single time? Is it possible to delete it or reply to it on the second action every single time?

Thanks
    11-19-13 07:54 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    11-19-13 07:57 AM
    So I was just browsing the forums on my Nexus and over the last 10 ten minutes I've received 4 emails half of which were junk, the other half were important and I replied to them. Each time a notification came in, I swiped down and could read the Subject, the sender, and a preview of the message. From there I could delete, archive or reply to the email. All of that information was viewable after me completing one action.

Notification comes in, I perform one single action and I see this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-19-08-30-39.png 
Views:	724 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	222280

I am then able to gain enough information about the notification to determine if it requires further attention from me right now, or if it can be deleted or replied to later. In the example above, it was junk mail. So this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-19-08-31-24.png 
Views:	726 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	222281

5 or so seconds after the notification had arrived, I had determined that it was junk and deleted the email. It would have been even faster, but I spent the time to take screen shots. One action and I know what the notification is. On the second action I can delete it, reply to it or save it for later. That speed allows me to get right back to what I was doing quickly.

The main reason I stopped using and eventually sold off all of my BlackBerry 10 devices was how poorly the new OS handles email. If you're like me, and receive or send hundreds of emails each day, BB10's notification system and the Hub slow you down considerably. I don't want to enter the hub to find out what an email is. I don't want to swipe up and over (first action), then navigate to the appropriate email account (second action) just to determine a email is junk.

I haven't used BB10 in a while now, so I'm curious if the leaks have fixed these problems yet. With BB10, is it possible to be on a website, like I was with my Android phone, receive a notification and find out everything you need to know about it with one action every single time? Is it possible to delete it or reply to it on the second action every single time?

Thanks
    Yes, works fine now

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    11-19-13 08:37 AM
    How is it different? Do you still need to enter the hub to see what each new email is when it arrives? Screen shots would be greatly appreciated.
    11-19-13 08:41 AM
    It is almost exactly as you want, with 10.2 you get instant previews (toggled by account) at the top of the screen, so you can get the 1st stage of information, that is sender and subject, without any action whatsoever. You can opt to reply without entering the hub or dismiss the notification(it will go away on its own in a few seconds), BUT you cannot delete the message from these new quick toast notifications and would have to enter the hub to do so.

EDIT: emstardeluxe makes an important distinction that I missed, you can only quick reply to sms and bbm messages.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 08:46 AM
    How is it different? Do you still need to enter the hub to see what each new email is when it arrives? Screen shots would be greatly appreciated.
    You don't need to enter the hub. There is an option for pop-up notification. However, you only get sender and subject, not a preview. Unlike BBM and SMS pop-ups, there is no inline reply. There is also no inline delete, which I would really really love them to add. If you tap the notification, it will open the email.

Have they made handling email better yet?-img_00002489.png
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 08:48 AM
    It is almost exactly as you want, with 10.2 you get instant previews (toggled by account) at the top of the screen, so you can get the 1st stage of information, that is sender and subject, without any action whatsoever. You can opt to reply without entering the hub or dismiss the notification(it will go away on its own in a few seconds), BUT you cannot delete the message from these new quick toast notifications and would have to enter the hub to do so.
    Awesome, thank you! That is definitely a step in the right direction. I can always hold off on deleting emails till the end of the day, but knowing what a email is as quickly as possible once it arrives is crucial for me.

With the instant previews, are they there even if you weren't on the phone when they arrived? Or is it the kinda thing where if you weren't there to see it, you'll miss it?
    11-19-13 08:53 AM
    Awesome, thank you! That is definitely a step in the right direction. I can always hold off on deleting emails till the end of the day, but knowing what a email is as quickly as possible once it arrives is crucial for me.

With the instant previews, are they there even if you weren't on the phone when they arrived? Or is it the kinda thing where if you weren't there to see it, you'll miss it?
    If you weren't there to see it, you'll miss it.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 08:56 AM
    If you weren't there to see it, you'll miss it.
    Would be cool if they stored those. What I think they should do is add a red glowing corner when there is a new notification. Just like what the PlayBook had. Pushing the glowing corner could open a notification panel with your recent notifications.

With the glowing corner idea, you could have a notification panel and the swipe down for menu gesture would still work. The newly opened notification panel would provide enough room for things like previews and delete buttons.

Not quite there yet, but still an improvement over what BB10 had when I was using it. Hopefully they use my idea. Then it'd be basically perfect.
    11-19-13 09:07 AM
    There was a survey out a few weeks ago by Blackberry pertaining to this. They were asking for feedback on the quick previews and whether users wanted to see a preview of emails and the ability to reply to them from the quick previews. They also asked about other apps like Facebook and twitter I believe.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 09:18 AM
    Funny,but I find that swiping into the Hub (diagonal action from mid bottom left to the mid right side) does exactly what you are looking for.. if you leave your finger on the screen you swipe into the hub and can see at least 10 senders and Messages. If you don't want to action one you simply return your finger left and remove it.. and you are back where you were working. If you want to action. It you lift your finger and action it.

The instant previews are decent, but I rarely use them because the Hub swipes are more efficient to me...

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    11-19-13 09:29 AM
    That's good news, as I agree they could definitely improve it by allowing universal quick replies and switching the dismiss button for a delete button (I can wait 2 seconds for it to go away on it's own).

I disagree with the need for an intermediary notifications screen or glowing red corner, you have the LED for that purpose and perhaps I've been conditioned by using BB10 but I always put the hub back into the default view when I am done, so by doing the up and right gesture (without letting go), I can always quickly get an overview of all my accounts and outstanding items from within another app and just reverse the gesture if I don't need to take action.

I'm surprised they haven't implemented some kind of timer for the hub view, as the current situation is a bit awkward and it's easy to see why the hub may not serve that purpose for you but does for me. The difference being I've gotten into the habit of "thinking ahead" about where I'll want the hub to be next time I swipe up, but I'm not sure that should be necessary.
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    11-19-13 09:35 AM
    That's good news, as I agree they could definitely improve it by allowing universal quick replies and switching the dismiss button for a delete button (I can wait 2 seconds for it to go away on it's own).

I disagree with the need for an intermediary notifications screen or glowing red corner, you have the LED for that purpose and perhaps I've been conditioned by using BB10 but I always put the hub back into the default view when I am done, so by doing the up and right gesture (without letting go), I can always quickly get an overview of all my accounts and outstanding items from within another app and just reverse the gesture if I don't need to take action.

I'm surprised they haven't implemented some kind of timer for the hub view, as the current situation is a bit awkward and it's easy to see why the hub may not serve that purpose for you but does for me. The difference being I've gotten into the habit of "thinking ahead" about where I'll want the hub to be next time I swipe up, but I'm not sure that should be necessary.
    Agree with everything, except for the dismiss button. Sometimes when i'm in the middle of something and get a lot of messages I like the dismiss button, maybe even adding an option to long-press the dismiss action to give you the option to turn previews off.
    drrobert_Taco likes this.
    11-19-13 09:39 AM
    I suppose on the Q series you might be more in need of that horizontal space, I didn't think of that. I like your idea of long pressing to enable a 3rd feature, maybe with a timer on it so you could opt to suppress the preview for the next 5 minutes or whatever.
    11-19-13 09:43 AM

The PlayBook had a LED and glowing corner.

The glowing corner isn't meant to notify you, in my idea, it just there to act as a shortcut for launching a notification window. That would allow for having a easy to access notification panel and for the down swipe gesture to still open the menu.

The notification panel would be useful for storing recent, new notifications and would give more room for more information than is what on the instant previews.
    11-19-13 09:49 AM
    You're on crackberry and you didn't know emailing has been improved?

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 09:59 AM
    The 10.2.1 leak improved a ton of things about email and hub management in general. You can jump between emails without having to do that gesture or backing out of the email message. The instant previews work very well if you're looking at your phone, but the message only pops up for about 3-5 seconds. You can close it and basically ignore it or clicking on it opens it right up. It would be good if they could incorporate the instant reply feature for email like how they have it for sms and bbm, but hopefully that will come with a future update. Something else that may or may not be useful is the lock screen previews where you can get a glance view of your notifications and recent emails. also if you tap it, it will go straight to that message. Overall some pretty good improvements.
    Here are some screen shots:
    Have they made handling email better yet?-air_20131119_00000.jpg
    Have they made handling email better yet?-img_00000010.png
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 10:42 AM
    they have indeed
    11-19-13 11:14 AM
    The PlayBook had a LED and glowing corner.

The glowing corner isn't meant to notify you, in my idea, it just there to act as a shortcut for launching a notification window. That would allow for having a easy to access notification panel and for the down swipe gesture to still open the menu.

The notification panel would be useful for storing recent, new notifications and would give more room for more information than is what on the instant previews.
    But why would I want a notification panel when I have the hub?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:24 PM
    But why would I want a notification panel when I have the hub?

Posted via CB10
    Because using the Hub for everything blows. In my opinion anyway. It slowed me down so much every single day and it was one of the big reasons I no longer have a BB10 device.

The Hub is great as an option. Look at the older BlackBerry phones. They had Messages (aka the Hub), individual email account icons and a drop down notification panel. When emails came in on a Bold 9900, did people launch the Hub or did they drop down the notification panel?

I can honestly say that I never once checked a new notification by using Messages or the Hub. Why would I when the notification panel is faster? The older phones left the Hub completely optional. I only used that option at the end of the day to go over all of my accounts at once and clean up emails I didn't need any more. Through out the day, individual account icons and the notification panel were more efficient for handling emails as they come in.

Like my screenshots in this thread show, I can receive an email, determine what it is and then act on the email and return to what I was doing all in a matter of seconds thanks to a notification panel. The Hub don't allow for that kind of speed.
    11-19-13 12:52 PM
    Because using the Hub for everything blows. In my opinion anyway. It slowed me down so much every single day and it was one of the big reasons I no longer have a BB10 device.

The Hub is great as an option. Look at the older BlackBerry phones. They had Messages (aka the Hub), individual email account icons and a drop down notification panel. When emails came in on a Bold 9900, did people launch the Hub or did they drop down the notification panel?

I can honestly say that I never once checked a new notification by using Messages or the Hub. Why would I when the notification panel is faster? The older phones left the Hub completely optional. I only used that option at the end of the day to go over all of my accounts at once and clean up emails I didn't need any more. Through out the day, individual account icons and the notification panel were more efficient for handling emails as they come in.

Like my screenshots in this thread show, I can receive an email, determine what it is and then act on the email and return to what I was doing all in a matter of seconds thanks to a notification panel. The Hub don't allow for that kind of speed.
    Totally different versions of the 'hub' you are comparing... as the Bbos one wasn't even close to the Hub we have now. I never ever use the Hub for anything other than seeing everything at once (I have unimportant segments turned off in the Hub so they don't bother me (Facebook and one less important email account)

If I need to filter I will delve down to specific folders but I always end up back at the Hub before leaving.. or just use search. It is so efficient to go in and out of the Hub with the gesture - one single swipe I'd done properly - that I am always completely caught up with my 5 email accounts almost in real-time. The gesture completely replaces the 'red icon' that you want to tap... it just isn't required... and the Hub is as speedy as it gets...

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    11-19-13 01:22 PM

But the hub is at the core of the BlackBerry 10 OS. That's why people use BlackBerry 10 devices and love them.

Going back to your example, if you are in the middle of something you will get a notification at the top just like on any other platform. You can dismiss it or tap it which opens the email within the hub (at which point you can delete/flag/file it). If you are away from your phone, all your emails will be waiting for you in the hub. What is the difference?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:25 PM
    But the hub is at the core of the BlackBerry 10 OS. That's why people use BlackBerry 10 devices and love them.

Going back to your example, if you are in the middle of something you will get a notification at the top just like on any other platform. You can dismiss it or tap it which opens the email within the hub (at which point you can delete/flag/file it). If you are away from your phone, all your emails will be waiting for you in the hub. What is the difference?

Posted via CB10
    With Android's pull down notification system you don't leave the app at all and as the op demonstrated specifically with emails he was able to reply to the message while the notification bar was pulled down. After that he is still in the app. On BB10 you go into the hub, but after you're done you're back at the home Screen where your active frames are.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:32 PM
    What's sad is all of the people claiming the Hub is so speedy and a notification panel isn't needed are the same exact people that will jump for joy the second a notification panel is added. If it ever is. With some people, no improvements are ever needed until the moment they arrive.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wouldn't want another option for handling incoming notifications. Heck, people loved it when the drop down panel was first introduced to the legacy OS. I still remember the hype surrounding that way back in the day. The new feature didn't make the existing options we were used to disappear. It just added another, faster option to the mix. What's not to like about that?
    11-19-13 01:48 PM
    What's sad is all of the people claiming the Hub is so speedy and a notification panel isn't needed are the same exact people that will jump for joy the second a notification panel is added. If it ever is. With some people, no improvements are ever needed until the moment they arrive.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wouldn't want another option for handling incoming notifications. Heck, people loved it when the drop down panel was first introduced to the legacy OS. I still remember the hype surrounding that way back in the day. The new feature didn't make the existing options we were used to disappear. It just added another, faster option to the mix. What's not to like about that?
    I don't get it either. I like BlackBerry Hub but I do agree it can be slow at times and I would love a similar pull down like the one in legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    Saiga likes this.
    11-19-13 02:01 PM
31 12