I'm curious to know from those who prefer BBM over whatsapp, how many contacts they have on bbm .

As for me, even if I prefer BBM, I have 6 contacts on BBM, but most of them don't even use it, and 351 contacts on whatsapp.

I could prefer BBM, but it is becoming quite useless for me ...

Posted via CB10
    BBM had its shot, and people moved away from it. Much like how people moved away from BlackBerry in general. Unfortunately, it's just the harsh reality, folks!

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    12-02-16 09:29 AM
    Stuff WA then, love my Q10, hate giant touch screen phones.
    01-04-17 01:33 PM
    I found it strange that when I started getting the "use a device that supports whatsApp" my android apps on my BlackBerry z30 started failing, stop working or ran extremely slow or bad. Just this past week I deleted the blackberry version of whatsapp and installed the Android version of whatsapp via snap. Makes me wonder if the developer of whatsapp sabotage my z30 trying to frustrate me enough to change from BlackBerry to another device. Needless to say, everything is working perfect now. I'm keeping my BlackBerry (sticking my tongue out) 2BBD2597

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 07:16 AM
    Hi , Sounds Great.. I wanna try it.. Where do i get that app SNAP. Can you send me a link of that to my Email pls: [email protected]
    Thanks in Advance.
    01-18-17 08:48 AM
    I deleted Whatsapp the day I got my passport. Was already removed from my previous device which was a Z30. So now that Whatsapp is finally no longer available to BB10 we can all ask our friends who are not yet running BBM (whatever device they have) to download it.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 10:22 AM
    Yes.
    I've been using the Android for two months because of the dual sim option. The think is I much prefer OS10 and I gave that crapdroid to my son and now I carry the Passport and the Q10. I'm happy.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 01:26 PM
    I deleted Whatsapp the day I got my passport. Was already removed from my previous device which was a Z30. So now that Whatsapp is finally no longer available to BB10 we can all ask our friends who are not yet running BBM (whatever device they have) to download it.

Posted via CB10
    ...And they will not do it...

All this debate between whatsapp and BBM... I have 3 contacts in BBM (and they use preferably whatsapp) and over 400 contacts in whatsapp.

I wonder how many contacts you have on BBM to think it's easy to replace whatsapp...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 08:27 AM
    Whatsapp is not an option here in malaysia. It's a necessity for work and personal

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-02-17 12:15 AM
    Not at all bc I don't even use whatsapp, BBM is my choice of messenger!!! I ain't Goin nowhere from BB10

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 12:44 AM
    if What's up didn't matter when I was using Nokia and Fring, Skype, Nimbuzz, Aol, Icq...why would it matter in this day and age with BBM, Skype, Telegram, Facetime ?

posted via del virtual
    04-02-17 12:56 AM
    if What's up didn't matter when I was using Nokia and Fring, Skype, Nimbuzz, Aol, Icq...why would it matter in this day and age with BBM, Skype, Telegram, Facetime ?
    WhatsApp matters because of the network effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-02-17 04:54 AM
    No

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.3), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.3.1463)
    04-02-17 07:38 AM
    What specifically is missing from bb10 that Whatsapp deems it outdated enough to not support it?
    You mean, besides marketshare/userbase?

BB10 hasn't been developed in more than 2.5 years (the BB10 team, except a handful, were let go in mid-2014), and neither have any of the APIs or developer tools. It was never moved to 64-bit (a big problem that would be an increasingly big problem if new devices were being released - but that's irrelevant since they aren't), it's running on a long-outdated and unsupported version of QT, etc. Hell, the APIs that were released were always incomplete and behind - an issue developers complained loudly about in 2012 and 2013, and what kept many of them away in the first place.

WhatsApp is moving their app forward, adding new features and new security/authentication systems, and BB10 simply doesn't support those new developments. Many of their changes are happening at the server level, and will require new, up-to-date clients to connect and interact with the servers once the new code is rolled out.

Even if it was all completely up-to-date, BB10's userbase is under 5M (I'd guess closer to 3M) and rapidly shrinking - with no hope of it even stabilizing, much less growing. And it costs real money to develop a new client, and to maintain and support that client, and it simply doesn't make financial sense to do that under the situation. There would be no ROI (return on investment).

These are the same things that all other BB10 developers take into consideration, and will be the same reasons that more and more apps go unsupported or are removed from BB World. A stand-alone app (such as, say, a calculator app) doesn't have all those dependencies, and so those will continue to work just fine, but anything that accesses network resources will become obsolete sooner or later - and you can put your money on "sooner" because tech is always moving ahead.
    04-02-17 02:42 PM
    Don't do Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 02:50 PM
    Don't do Whatsapp.
    I don't. But I'm in the US, where WhatsApp is fairly popular but in no way the center of the universe.

In many countries, though, it is THE way to communicate, and when virtually everyone else you know uses it, for both business and pleasure, including your business competitors, then not using it really isn't an option. When your friends, family, and customers all expect you to be using WhatsApp, and they have no interest in using anything else (especially because none of their other friends use anything but WhatsApp), then you either find a way to use it or accept being an outcast.

I realize that CB is full of contrarians who want nothing more to live in their basements and never interact with another human being - especially not via a POPULAR technology or device! - but most of the rest of the world doesn't agree.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-02-17 10:08 PM
    I realize that CB is full of contrarians who want nothing more to live in their basements and never interact with another human being - especially not via a POPULAR technology or device! - but most of the rest of the world doesn't agree.
    Kek <--this one
    Kek
    Kek
    Kek
    Kek
    04-03-17 01:08 AM
    I just don't understand why people think Whatsapp is that much better than BBM? . Features I enjoy on BBM are :
    1- VOIP
    2- Retracting msgs
    3- Timed msgs
    4- Editing msgs
    5- Private msging

Are those not good reasons?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 08:59 PM
    I just don't understand why people think Whatsapp is that much better than BBM? . Features I enjoy on BBM are :
    1- VOIP
    2- Retracting msgs
    3- Timed msgs
    4- Editing msgs
    5- Private msging

Are those not good reasons?

Posted via CB10
    You will understand if 100 of your contacts using whatsapp , 10 using bbm
    04-05-17 09:47 PM
    You will understand if 100 of your contacts using whatsapp , 10 using bbm
    That is completely beside my point. I'm comparing the software not the user base. I think you and I already acknowledged that fact that people like or use Whatsapp more.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 10:00 PM
    That is completely beside my point. I'm comparing the software not the user base. I think you and I already acknowledged that fact that people like or use Whatsapp more.
    Network Effect is a HUGE issue with communication methods. The value of a communication methods rises at the SQUARE of the number of people using it. That's why WhatsApp was worth $18B to Facebook. BBM could be the best program ever, but if you can't talk to anyone important to you with it, it's useless. And that's more-or-less where BBM is outside of Indonesia and Nigeria, and perhaps South Africa.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-05-17 10:27 PM
    Network Effect is a HUGE issue with communication methods. The value of a communication methods rises at the SQUARE of the number of people using it. That's why WhatsApp was worth $18B to Facebook. BBM could be the best program ever, but if you can't talk to anyone important to you with it, it's useless. And that's more-or-less where BBM is outside of Indonesia and Nigeria, and perhaps South Africa.
    Again beside my point. But hey if you feel better repeating what the other guy said then enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 06:57 AM
    Again beside my point. But hey if you feel better repeating what the other guy said then enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    You can argue the technical merit of Whatsapp or BBM all you want, but if one's entire social circle uses one (as it is for the vast majority of the planet) you'd be hard pressed to convince them to switch to some other app just cause. That the real truth of how social networking operates is beside your point only locates your point outside relevance.
    04-06-17 07:01 AM
    You can argue the technical merit of Whatsapp or BBM all you want, but if one's entire social circle uses one (as it is for the vast majority of the planet) you'd be hard pressed to convince them to switch to some other app just cause. That the real truth of how social networking operates is beside your point only locates your point outside relevance.
    That is precisely the only point I am arguing. I'm not about to argue the point of which program has won the race or become the more practical to use due to user base. I am only making an observation on the bassis of some features that are present in in and not in the most popular msging app on the planet. I am allowed to make an observations am I not? Why would it not be relevant? Relevant to what ?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 07:07 AM
    No. There is no way I'm giving my phone number and daily relationship metrics to Facebook, who have a history of exploiting personal data and changing their terms and default settings constantly.

I don't even message on FB. Just use it as an address book.

So FB/Whatsapp is not a consideration for my smartphone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    04-06-17 08:30 AM
    I am only making an observation on the bassis of some features that are present in in and not in the most popular msging app on the planet. I am allowed to make an observations am I not? Why would it not be relevant? Relevant to what ?
    Your comment was:

I just don't understand why people think Whatsapp is that much better than BBM?
    And the single most important answer to that question is "everyone I talk to uses WhatsApp."

But other answers are: "WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted, for free." and "WhatsApp makes discovering and connecting to other people I know on the platform incredibly easy."

Clearly, most people value those things far, far above the advantages BBM has.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-06-17 10:58 AM
114 ... 2345