Really, at least that button now functions as a finger print scanner, pay device and makes everything within the ecosystem easy to do,, and the fact is, it's still one of the most bought and they make small worthwhile enhancement that pay huge dividends. There's zero reason to mess with it. Unlike bb flow which isn't paying the bills, is costing people to keep losing their jobs and tanking a company.
    Pay device? BlackBerry phones have been a pay device in Canada for a few years now.

BB10 flow isn't doing the BS you say.
    06-15-15 04:12 PM
    There is no reason BlackBerry could provide that would make them switch. The only thing that makes people switch is when their current device or platform stops satisfying their needs.

At this point BB10 would have to spit out bars of gold in order to be compelling to those that haven't already decided to try it.

Posted via CB10
    Spit gold bars!? As long as the real-time kernel keeps that popcorn chicken coming, I'm all good! Oh wait, that feature's still in beta testing hehe

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-15-15 05:14 PM
    There is no reason BlackBerry could provide that would make them switch. The only thing that makes people switch is when their current device or platform stops satisfying their needs.

At this point BB10 would have to spit out bars of gold in order to be compelling to those that haven't already decided to try it.

Posted via CB10
    You forgot to add Close the App Gap.
    06-15-15 05:39 PM
    I'm talking about point of purchase and sale staff ability to in 15sec convey why bb is cool.. And current flow doesn't do that.. Or a design that would make teens and people In their 20s look modern..

Passport was a wee start of that.. But the os design let it down as well as size.

The os needs a major reface in how it presents apps, active data streaming and home screen look.

I just unlike my device, what a horrible home screen. Weeee clock at the top, basic date and a wee toolbar the bottom and 4 square active active app placement.. Not engaging or interesting at all in 2015

Attachment 357763

Not my home screen, pulled it off the internet somewhere.
    If BB designs a whole new let's say Home Screen , they will be torn to shred by the masses saying "Oh it looks too much like Android" , or "No. I liked the home screen how it was before" etc etc. BB can't please everyone. Sadly, this is another BIG problem.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-15-15 05:42 PM
    If BB designs a whole new let's say Home Screen , they will be torn to shred by the masses saying "Oh it looks too much like Android" , or "No. I liked the home screen how it was before" etc etc. BB can't please everyone. Sadly, this is another BIG problem.
    I agree... there will always be nay sayers. But BlackBerry needs to do something , maybe not something as simple as a UI change but something to be considered relevant again. Innovative and compelling to get iOS and Android users willing to switch.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-15-15 06:04 PM
    Definitely there will be that crowd.. Bit doesn't change the fact flow and current ui isn't cutting it. If they blamed it up and added a couple innovations to bb10 os.. Plus a new all touch on the i6 and what e is the latest Samsung... Plus a slider, plus the classic passports. With killer camera and too notch memory and speed specs. It would at least give them a rebranding launch market watching period vs. a stagnant getting lo in the tooth design that anyone other then the small small small amount of bb10 are interested in. I care more about bb growing and strong balance sheet so I can keep pkb phones vs staying as is and forcing myself to get an all touch iPhone x in a couple years cause bb failed to improve the ui in any meaningful way.. I'll take a gimmicky childish interface if it saves pkb phones being supported for the long term.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-15-15 07:38 PM
    Pay device? BlackBerry phones have been a pay device in Canada for a few years now.

BB10 flow isn't doing the BS you say.
    I was commenting more about the iPhone button but even then.. I don't know a single bb10 user that has ever used whatever pay thing you're talking about in bb.

As for it not being flow... Passport Q10 and classic aren't holding back sales, the z10 piece crap did but z30 was ok just not attractive design.. All other were poor but I have heard anyone slam a device, but have endless heard how outdated bb10 is, how boring it is. So from my real user non reviewer comments.. Everyone I know or spoke with including retail is that it's too stuffy, boring and many don't get how to even do android apps on it. Bb messed up again by not doing a portal in bb world for android apps so it's clear how simple it is. Th android runtime should be seamless and unconvoluted.. All apps should be in the ecosystem of bb world.
    06-15-15 07:43 PM
    Yes! BB10 UI needs a complete overhaul just like iOS 7 to iPhone and Android Lollipop.

They have greatly closed the gap between them and BB10.

We all know Crackberry people resist to changes hardcore. But BlackBerry needs it.

I'm on 10.3.2 and after using iOS 8-9 and Lollipop, I felt bb10 started feeling dated.

The flow concept is about 3-4 years old now. Which is almost half of the age of the inception of the smartphone revolution.

So yes, they definitely need to overhaul the UI.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 08:41 PM
    So having taken in bb10 for quite a while now, having an iOS tablet and played with android... I'm left pondering bb10's future especially enlighten of ridiculous rumors of an android bb device.

So I've accepted bbos is dead and given up hoping it's good points will come to bb10.
    Accept my q will probably last small form factor from bb, to the point I may buy another for future proofing if my phone dies.

Now, looking to the future.. I've seen very little innovation and advancement in bb10 flow concept since it's launch which was and continues to be poorly accepted by the masses. I keep having colleagues and friends leave for android and iPhone6.. Unless they are issued work phones and all of them have been bbos devices. I know of no one who bought a bb10 in the last year..

A good bb friend just left for a s4 and loves it over her z10.. Saying how old bb10 felt.

Bb10 seems stuck.. With nothing done to the user interface since launch.. Just the android app add on and small incremental things added of no relevance in selling more devices.. Just keeping user base from leaving.

Not talking devices. Os only. I haven't seen a single rumor of an upgrade advancement to the user interface that would make it compete with android. iOS is also stuck but it's sooooooo well regarded and accepted almost to no reason to change yet. Nice they are looking to add split screening..

So what's bb doing to make it hip, current and updated to try and make it more accepted. Maybe I missed something..

Seems very bad business to keep steady on path of self destruction of not making it a more engaging user interface, skin...

Is it not Worth the risk now more then it was from bbos to bb10..

Flow didn't work out so well, time for a new UI concept to the bb10 backend.
    Apart from android no one changed their UI that much and many prefer to feel comfortable with their old stuff instead of always learning how to use their phone every time there is an update. I had a customer return his phone when he received lolypop update because he felt lost

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 10:12 PM
    To OPs point (me being a huge BB fan. Wont ever change) Android seems to provide the most flexible environment for customization. When it comes to eye candy stuff, Android will remain the leader of the pack. However, we can start to say that mac products are also dragging their feet like BB on that department or even worst, they still have as many have recounted, the useless home button. For those who don't care about eye candy stuff (myself being one of them), functionality takes precedence over those customization. Truth is, we are the minority.. I once mentioned BB icons and was burned in the forums not to have them changed soon after chen took over... there is always ground for improvement. Customization though is a tricky one as business gurus wouldn't care about customization (and thats who BB claim to be targeting). At least thats how I see it..
    allwi and Mecca EL like this.
    06-15-15 10:27 PM
    BlackBerry Flow.... never really did flow.

I think BB10 with 100% Cascades built native applications might have flowed very nicely. But BB10 in Beta, with all sorts of different ways of building and porting apps... just was a little confusing for some to use. Back at launch there was a 3rd party group that tested the UI of different mobile operating systems and BB10 was considered the most difficult to use. Mainly because gestures and settings where different depending on where you were in the OS. HUB worked one way, General OS worked another, Setting another, and ported apps another....
    06-16-15 08:44 AM
    diehardbbuser, the dramatic change you seem to be looking for, and that is for you missing in BlackBerry 10 OS is on of the primary reasons I choose BlackBerry 10 over Android in particular but Windows too. Although Windows for phones is a bit more structured they are both still have, IMO, very messy UI.

I would mo over to iOS in less than a blink of an eye if I could get the BlackBerry Hub but apparently that is not possible.

I suppose we'll see soon enough, soon in a BlackBerry context, with the possible arrival of the BlackBerry Experience Suite.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:04 AM
    diehardbbuser, the dramatic change you seem to be looking for, and that is for you missing in BlackBerry 10 OS is on of the primary reasons I choose BlackBerry 10 over Android in particular but Windows too. Although Windows for phones is a bit more structured they are both still have, IMO, very messy UI.

I would mo over to iOS in less than a blink of an eye if I could get the BlackBerry Hub but apparently that is not possible.

I suppose we'll see soon enough, soon in a BlackBerry context, with the possible arrival of the BlackBerry Experience Suite.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that it's one of the things that keeps bb but really it's pkb primarily and hub. That said, I'm talking about the business of bb and not my preference. Bb has given bb10 flow design a real shot it's not worked out. They can't continue to survive with the os "as is" and it's current design. We represent far to small a population for bb to survive. I don't mind my dull phone, but for them to grow and flourish.. They need a full stop on flow come out with something far more interesting.
    06-16-15 10:48 AM
    IMO the flow works perfectly for my job and personal life. I don't play games or do very much social media, maybe that's why it just works for me. I personally don't like too many bells and whistles because they distract me from why I have the phone in the first place, Work-Make Money and make sure I'm on time to Work-Make Money and retire comfortably. For fun I spend time with friends and ride a Harley, don't need to self sooth all alone with a super duper "Swiss Army Knife" like cell phone.
    06-16-15 11:05 AM
    That's my point, now onto 10.3 and it looks and feels exactly the same... Which the masses don't want to use.
    When I upgraded my wife's Z30 from 10.2 to 10.3, I was very mindful about her reaction, as I felt the "flat design" and some UI changes may have led her into troubles (FTR: she's a work issued iphone user and the perfect - loved - noob for anything computing ).
    While she couldn't give me details, I - "the rosy glasses in chief" - was really surprised to ear her statement : "now, I can feel how it's better and I'm more pleased with my Z30 than IP".

When you mention "masses", you seem to make a confusion: 90% of users don't even know what a U.I is; it's all about experience (apple is selling like hotcakes on that) and the way you get things done.
    And in this area, every [drastic] change is a massive risk, unless what you had was poor/faulty.
    By any means, I don't believe BB10 U.I needs spectacular changes and every system has its "phylosophy". You may like Tiles or hate it (are you a Win8 Metro or Desktop mode UI user ?), etc.

So, unless there's a good reason, like a new feature ... I'm not expecting more than optimization and cosmetic changes. Is that a "peak" ? I'm not sure, well .. my English may be the cause then.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-16-15 at 02:00 PM.
    diegonei and Mecca EL like this.
    06-16-15 12:44 PM
    I do agree that BB10 is due for a refresh for the sake of a refresh; but, the reality of the situation is that a lot of the OS development team (i.e. TAT) isn't there anymore and BBRY is trying to conserve its cash for projects it is certain that will bring in more money rather than invest more money in a project, BB10, that has not performed so well.

Anyway, others bring up a good point that there isn't much BBRY can do to "wow" consumer on the OS front. BBRY needs to use some out of the box thinking and that means pushing into new product categories like Apple did with the iPod and iPhone rather than fight in an already established market.

BBRY's focus on MDM as well as Android workplace apps are a part of the strategy to look for new sources of revenue.

So what should BBRY do? Outside of widgets, you haven't advance any viable options that would be considered a "wow" factor Also, what is the "wow" factor with the iOS/iPhone?
    The logo on the back looks nice and it was pretty much the first modern smartphone.
    06-16-15 01:12 PM
    I love the way I can peek into the hub from anywhere, and swiping up to get to running apps is very quick. Here are the things I'd like to see changed:

1) A peek gesture opposite the hub. I don't know what I'd like it to be, but if swiping up and to the right gets me to the hub from anywhere it'd be nice if swiping up and to the left did SOMETHING. I think it's so fast and useful for getting into the hub it's a shame to not create a similar gesture to do something just as useful. It could even be user-defined.

2) Instant actions for email needs a BIG overhaul. They are not at all as useful as they should be. In addition to being able to tap to go to the email I should be able to flag as read, delete, and reply(opens the hub in reply mode) right from the instant action. They should be bigger to accommodate the additional icons.
    06-16-15 01:53 PM
    I think you're projecting your own opinions of BB10 onto the market at large, and not considering the real reasons why BB10 devices don't sell very well:
    1) apps: enough has been said about that.
    2) HOME BUTTON. The top selling devices worldwide have physical buttons and don't just rely on gestures or soft buttons. If BB would just put out ONE full slab device with a home button on it, a home button that acted just like a "swipe up", I bet a lot of people who casually pick up a BB10 device would be able to at least intuitively navigate around the device. Without it, many are lost and (you can sit here all day and say how easy BB10 is) confused.

A BB device running Android WITHOUT A HOME BUTTON will have the same problems.
    06-16-15 01:57 PM
    Has BB10 flow design reached its peak?-etfb.png
    Mecca EL and Pcmx like this.
    06-16-15 02:03 PM
    I'll take a stab at this, having read the OP's first comment. With coming from BBOS, where there was a basic UI format but customization, I think he's missing the ability to customize. Not that BB10 needs a UI change, because it's the best out there - point blank. But everyone isn't into "intuitive". Some like to "club" there way through their phone.

I think some theme capabilities would be a plus. It doesn't touch the basic UI, and for those that would like the option... having options isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by Mecca EL; 06-17-15 at 08:54 AM.
    Pcmx, extisis and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-16-15 04:29 PM
    The thread title's design has been re-imagined and further enhanced to now reach the peaks of grammatical correctness.

Yours truly,

Elite1
    GramModerator Supreme
    06-16-15 04:30 PM
    I think you're projecting your own opinions of BB10 onto the market at large, and not considering the real reasons why BB10 devices don't sell very well:
    1) apps: enough has been said about that.
    2) HOME BUTTON. The top selling devices worldwide have physical buttons and don't just rely on gestures or soft buttons. If BB would just put out ONE full slab device with a home button on it, a home button that acted just like a "swipe up", I bet a lot of people who casually pick up a BB10 device would be able to at least intuitively navigate around the device. Without it, many are lost and (you can sit here all day and say how easy BB10 is) confused.

A BB device running Android WITHOUT A HOME BUTTON will have the same problems.
    BUT, that's what makes BB so unique and different. There's No other device that I know of that does Not have a physical home button on the front of their device. It's all about minimal actions and getting things done. It's So much easier to just swipe up to wake the phone instead of pressing a button or having to slide your finger down with a fingerprint scanner that could one day malfunction.
    06-16-15 05:49 PM
    I'd personally say that I'd agree BB10 needs further development but I would disagree about changing the overall navigation paradigm of BB10. I personally love the flow, active frames, et al.

Improvements?

The lock screen with notifications. Simply add the weather just for a start, and make the different areas - email, bbm, fb, etc scrollable with an option to single tap an item without asking twice.

Make the dock customisable not just the stock phone (or hub), camera and assistant. Give users some control and customisation. I should be able to dock an app at the bottom and swap out the built in ones.

Themes - not just dark / light styles, but real themes. Heck, add a 'Themes' store like Stickers if you wanna monetize.

The lockscreen and dock are two areas that feel underdeveloped to me. My $0.02.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-16-15 05:49 PM
    BUT, that's what makes BB so unique and different. There's No other device that I know of that does Not have a physical home button on the front of their device. It's all about minimal actions and getting things done. It's So much easier to just swipe up to wake the phone instead of pressing a button or having to slide your finger down with a fingerprint scanner that could one day malfunction.
    ...but is being futuristic or innovative better than actually selling devices and making money? If a full-slab BB10 device was released in two forms: one WITH anyone WITHOUT a home button, which would sell better, and more importantly, which would increase BB10 market share (bring users from other platforms to BB10)?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 06:34 PM
    ...but is being futuristic or innovative better than actually selling devices and making money? If a full-slab BB10 device was released in two forms: one WITH anyone WITHOUT a home button, which would sell better, and more importantly, which would increase BB10 market share (bring users from other platforms to BB10)?

Posted via CB10
    If they add a Home button, add a fingerprint scanner to unlock and make it behave as a trackpad once unlocked. Then add a Back (Undo) button and a Menu button on either side. Google can't squawk since BlackBerry had those buttons before them.
    06-16-15 06:41 PM
92 1234