100% the only reason I'm not getting a BB10 is Instagram. I'm so sick of sticking up for BlackBerry, when they can't deliver.
    On the contrary, the Photo Editor does the same pretentious filter crap that Instagram does.
    conkybubs and sexybabe88 like this.
    02-24-13 01:04 PM
    You have no use for Skype? Really I find that disingenuous. And how do you communicate with the non BlackBerry friends? Unless you live in a time warped village the BlackBerry users are a minority - in my family we have went from five BlackBerry to one and there is little interest in the Z10 from them with its lack of mainstream apps.

Posted via CB10
    It's actually quite easy to communicate with my non-BlackBerry friends. I use the phone!!!!
    DannySmurf likes this.
    02-24-13 01:11 PM
    On the contrary, the Photo Editor does the same pretentious filter crap that Instagram does.
    No, it doesn't. Not even...

Never mind...
    jdhooghe and bp3dots like this.
    02-24-13 01:18 PM
    It's actually quite easy to communicate with my non-BlackBerry friends. I use the phone!!!!
    Yeah. Not only do I have no use for Skype, I have NEVER used Skype. IM is soooo last decade. :P

But seriously... I've only even used BBM once or twice. Maybe the perspective of long-time BBM and Skype users is skewed, but those two are not the way most people in the world actually communicate.
    02-24-13 01:27 PM
    I wish people would stop saying they don't need apps cause honestly blackberry needs the APPS, this is the same way of thinking that got blackberry to the point it's at now playing catch up. Blackberry 10 really wasn't made for the die hard blackberry user it's was made more for those on android and ios and everyone in both those camps lives by their apps lets not start this same thing over again that blackberry doesn't need apps. Also I think blackberry should take the apple approach with these carriers by telling them this is the day WE are releasing our phones
    Coachbulldog, SMCNI1968 and cman5 like this.
    02-24-13 01:40 PM
    Yeah. Not only do I have no use for Skype, I have NEVER used Skype. IM is soooo last decade. :P

But seriously... I've only even used BBM once or twice. Maybe the perspective of long-time BBM and Skype users is skewed, but those two are not the way most people in the world actually communicate.
    See, I appreciate the open mind.

No matter the platform, everyone makes concessions. I think BBRY's job is to do the best job possible of ensuring potential users have to make the least number of concessions.

I think BBRY gets it. Hence the touchscreen. Hence the runtime.
    02-24-13 01:44 PM
    I would be happier about the "app situation" if there was an easy way to determine if an app in BlackBerry World is native or ported. Maybe someone in the litigious land of the USA needs to file a class action lawsuit to get the attention of BlackBerry management. The developers of BlackBerry OS 10 native applications need better recognition for their efforts and it might encourage other developers or potential developers to take the risk of jumping into a new platform.
    sexybabe88 likes this.
    02-24-13 01:51 PM
    See, I appreciate the open mind.

No matter the platform, everyone makes concessions. I think BBRY's job is to do the best job possible of ensuring potential users have to make the least number of concessions.

I think BBRY gets it. Hence the touchscreen. Hence the runtime.
    Hence the dispensing with running everything through BB's servers. Yes, I think they get it too. Took a while.
    02-24-13 01:52 PM
    I would be happier about the "app situation" if there was an easy way to determine if an app in BlackBerry World is native or ported. Maybe someone in the litigious land of the USA needs to file a class action lawsuit to get the attention of BlackBerry management. The developers of BlackBerry OS 10 native applications need better recognition for their efforts and it might encourage other developers or potential developers to take the risk of jumping into a new platform.
    Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I can't believe that someone would seriously suggest a lawsuit over something this silly, so I'm forced to believe you're being sarcastic.

So... good one!
    02-24-13 01:54 PM
    I wish people would stop saying they don't need apps cause honestly blackberry needs the APPS, this is the same way of thinking that got blackberry to the point it's at now playing catch up. Blackberry 10 really wasn't made for the die hard blackberry user it's was made more for those on android and ios and everyone in both those camps lives by their apps lets not start this same thing over again that blackberry doesn't need apps. Also I think blackberry should take the apple approach with these carriers by telling them this is the day WE are releasing our phones
    Read through all of the threads about missing apps and the same defense is offered by BB supporters in each of them: "There is no need for Instagram" "I don't care about Netflix because I don't want to watch a movie on my phone" "I don't need a bank app, I can use the browser" "Skype isn't necessary, use the phone and call" etc.... But as you point out, the customers that BB is (or should be) targeting with BB10Z devices are individuals who already use these apps on other platforms. These folks aren't going to consider a phone that doesn't have what has become a key part of how they use their phone. I don't fault BlackBerry for this. They have done all they can to encourage developers to create the popular apps for the new BB10 devices. But when a consumer walks into a store to purchase their new phone they are not going to care who's fault it is that Instagram is not on the new BlackBerry devices, they are only going to be concerned these apps aren't available.
    02-24-13 02:09 PM
    You have no use for Skype? Really I find that disingenuous. And how do you communicate with the non BlackBerry friends? Unless you live in a time warped village the BlackBerry users are a minority - in my family we have went from five BlackBerry to one and there is little interest in the Z10 from them with its lack of mainstream apps.

Posted via CB10
    Correct. I have never used skype before in my life.

Sent from my game boy color
    02-24-13 02:11 PM
    Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I can't believe that someone would seriously suggest a lawsuit over something this silly, so I'm forced to believe you're being sarcastic.

So... good one!
    Sarcasm for the win!
    02-24-13 02:25 PM
    No reservations here; the apps will come.
    02-24-13 02:26 PM
    Oh my apparently the Z10 isn't really anything more then a expensive phone. And it's not a new platform. BlackBerry announced the BlackBerry 10 two years ago couldn't deliver a complete product - still haven't. You think most people live like you and have no use for mainstream apps? No doubt that's why BBRY stock is so high! I am not trolling, I bought into the hype literally of the Z10 by buying shares once the launch day was confirmed. I had the sense to sell once I got the phone and saw it is a great BlackBerry Just not a revolutionary smart phone. Call me whatever you like but the market is telling you the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 02:32 PM
    I don't think this thread has to be yet another place to moan about Instagram, Skype, and so on. The question was, and is: Are missing apps giving us reservations about buying a BB10 device? It's a simple question. The question was never, How terrible, or inexcusable, or foolish, etc. is it for these apps not to be there yet. There are many other threads about that sort of thing. This one is about the effect of missing apps on our likely choices in the near future.

As I wrote above, there are some Android apps that I use a lot that aren't present in BB10, and there's no way of knowing when or if they ever will be. There's also currently no info about whether they work as Android sideloads. That introduces a fairly high degree of uncertainty into my decision. How much of the functionality that I've come to expect am I willing to give up? I think I can live with using the Pageonce mobile web site instead of the app, in which case I'm only giving up notifications. But there's no real workaround for Audible, and they currently have "no plans" to develop for BB10. So if it won't work sideloaded, that's the end of that. I have to decide whether the strengths of BB10 are enough to compensate for losing Audible (if that's what it comes to).

In another thread, there's a discussion about the fact that BB10 does not currently support apps that do things in the background. Apps have to run in an active frame. That means that a podcast app that checks for updates and downloads them automatically can't work unless I run it in an active frame and let it stay there. In contrast, I set the PodKicker app on my Blaze to check for updates every night and download them, if I'm on wifi. I can't have anything like this on BB10 until background apps are allowed, but we don't really know when that will be. This concerns me.

I've been using the Sound Profiles app on Android, which supports profiles in a way similar to BBOS, with a scheduler and other features. I have it all configured to switch the phone in and out of vibrate for various repeating events each week. This is extremely useful, but an app like this for BB10 can't exist until background apps are allowed, unless I want to have it running in an active frame all the time.

Reservations indeed.
    02-24-13 02:32 PM
    This is extremely useful, but an app like this for BB10 can't exist until background apps are allowed, unless I want to have it running in an active frame all the time.

Reservations indeed.
    Did I get that right? No 3rd party background services (non ui apps) possible???

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    02-24-13 02:36 PM
    Did I get that right? No 3rd party background services (non ui apps) possible???

Not yet, blackberry has not released the API to developers yet to do so.

Posted via CB10
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-24-13 02:45 PM
    Not yet, blackberry has not released the API to developers yet to do so.

Posted via CB10
    Ouch. I thought you get full QNX layer development/runtime environment.

But they committed to implement/release the missing bits, no?

02-24-13 02:47 PM
    There are certain apps that I would like to have on there natively. I've sideloaded a few apps on my Z10 but I enjoyed the switch over from 9900 to the Z10. There are no more holstered vs unholstered settings I somewhat miss that aspect. Get more than 1 GB data plan that's for sure I've only tethered a bit and used 500mb so far this month.

I love HUB. It's awesome that in itself made the phone. It's too bad there's no option of noting things as spam though...
    02-24-13 02:48 PM
    I'm so sick of people ********, It's Instagram that has not delivered yet, get your facts straight.
    Does it matter who's to blame ? Whether you and I use Instagram or not, there are millions that do, on other platforms. How do you plan on getting them here ? When people upgrade their phone, hey want upgrade i.e., more features, more usefulness, not less.
    02-24-13 03:12 PM
    Ouch. I thought you get full QNX layer development/runtime environment.

But they committed to implement/release the missing bits, no?
    As far as I know, background apps never made it to the PlayBook. So I'm not counting on that ability coming to BB10 either, as this "sandboxed" idea seems to be BB's new trend (much like iOS).
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-24-13 03:24 PM
    As far as I know, background apps never made it to the PlayBook. So I'm not counting on that ability coming to BB10 either, as this "sandboxed" idea seems to be BB's new trend (much like iOS).
    Thank you for the info!

That's bad news. How will things like messengers, news readers, ... be implemented then? Only functioning while the app is open (fully or as frame)? That would be really bad!

02-24-13 03:52 PM
    Considering that they're planning to release BB10 to the PlayBook (which is unlikely to be a decision they made last-minute), why would they bother bringing such a major feature to the Tablet OS? Seems like a massive waste of development resources. The feature is, however, planned for BlackBerry 10. They're known as "headless" apps, and are currently listed with a "TBD" ETA on the Native SDK Roadmap here.
    pb1379 and katesbb like this.
    02-24-13 04:00 PM
    Considering that they're planning to release BB10 to the PlayBook (which is unlikely to be a decision they made last-minute), why would they bother bringing such a major feature to the Tablet OS? Seems like a massive waste of development resources. The feature is, however, planned for BlackBerry 10. They're known as "headless" apps, and are currently listed with a "TBD" ETA on the Native SDK Roadmap here.
    I'm much relieved and feeling way better now, thanks!

02-24-13 04:05 PM
    What is the big deal about Instagram?
    02-24-13 06:10 PM
124 1234 ...