I have googled and searched this forum and without going into all I have read, I would like to know the difference between a "soft" and "hard" reset. AND exactly how to do them. Some say to hold power button down, some say to hold both volume keys down at the same time, some say to hold power button but press the restart key at the bottom right corner, etc. It seems I must be having issues with either holding down the power button too long or not long enough because sometimes my phones will restart and sometimes they actually turn off. I wait for the countdown to complete and then see the AT&T white page and release...

Do both save ALL my data? My understanding is a "security wipe" erases everything and you basically have a "new" phone that you will have to set up all over again.

When do you choose a "soft" reset over a "hard" reset? Looks to me if I'm having a few issues, I would just do a "hard" reset and be done with it.

I have a PP and a Classic.

I realize this is very elementary to most of you but I would like to understand the why and how.
    09-03-16 05:30 AM
    Hard Reset on a BlackBerry = Removing and reinserting the Battery aka Battery Pull. It resets the device by deleting all caches, shutting off background apps and services, clearing running memory, and powering off the device. Remove the rear cover, remove the battery, wait a few seconds, reinsert the battery, and power on the device. This can be done even if the device is already on.

Soft Reset on a BlackBerry = Same thing as a Hard Reset but for non-removable battery types using a button press/combo causing the system to basically disconnect/reconnect the battery at the software level. Different BlackBerry devices with non-removable batteries may use different methods of performing a Soft Reset.
    Generally it is one of two:
    1. Press and Hold both the Volume UP and Volume Down buttons at the same time for more that 10 seconds.
    2. Press and Hold the Power button for more than 10 seconds.
    • After 10 seconds, release the button(s).
    • The device will Soft Reset, power off, and restart on it's own.
    • If one method doesn't work, use the other.

Both Hard/Soft Reset methods do not delete files, apps, setting, contacts, or messages.
    The purpose for the Hard/Soft Reset is to help debug any corrupted system caches or apps and generally does a good job in doing so.
    NOTE: It is normal for the device to be sluggish and glitchy for up to five minutes after a Hard/Soft Reset due to the system working extra hard rebuilding caches and restarting background apps and services, so it is best to just let the device sit for five minutes after a Hard/Soft Reset before continuing to trouble shoot.

Hard/Soft Reset is not the same as a Security Wipe or Factory Reset.
    Both of those are ways of completely wiping all user settings, non-default apps, files, and messages off the device and return it to a state as if it was first powered up out of the box.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 09-03-16 at 07:32 AM.
    syclone1978 and Gebo like this.
    09-03-16 06:55 AM
    Ok, thank you. So since I have a Classic and a PP, I can only do a soft reset but it is the same thing as a hard reset? Both accomplish the same thing, right? It's not that a soft reset does something different than a hard reset. It's merely the methodology in accomplishing a reset.

I think I have it...

Many thanks for your help!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-03-16 07:23 AM
    Hard/ soft reset deleting files transfered through WiFi direct and Bluetooth

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2888
    09-03-16 07:24 AM
    Ok, thank you. So since I have a Classic and a PP, I can only do a soft reset but it is the same thing as a hard reset? Both accomplish the same thing, right? It's not that a soft reset does something different than a hard reset. It's merely the methodology in accomplishing a reset.

I think I have it...

Many thanks for your help!
    Yes, both are the same.
    09-03-16 07:26 AM
    Hard/ soft reset deleting files transfered through WiFi direct and Bluetooth

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2888
    It will delete the cache of the file transfer History, but it doesn't or shouldn't delete the file itself off the device or SD storage.
    It will, however, stop any incomplete "stuck" transfers or transfers that are in progress at the time of the Hard/Soft Reset.
    09-03-16 07:29 AM
    Interesting, because my Classic takes screen shots when I simultaneously press the volume up/down keys.

I use the re-start option for a 'soft' re-set by pushing the on/off/hang-up key. I also turn the phone off using that key by depressing for the 3 count.

I'm on auto loaded version 2848.

PS: I really miss not being able to do a battery pull!
    09-03-16 07:18 PM
    Hold volume up and the power button, and that will soft reset your bb10 device. Volume up and down is for screen shots.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-03-16 07:49 PM
    Interesting, because my Classic takes screen shots when I simultaneously press the volume up/down keys.

I use the re-start option for a 'soft' re-set by pushing the on/off/hang-up key. I also turn the phone off using that key by depressing for the 3 count.

I'm on auto loaded version 2848.

PS: I really miss not being able to do a battery pull!
    The default for pressing both the Volume Up and Down buttons at the same time is a screen shot, however if you continue to hold the buttons down for more than 10 seconds it will then perform a Soft Reset if that is the procedure for your device.
    On my Z30 it is, so the side effect of a Soft Reset is a screen shot in my device memory Camera folder

However, the notice that it took a screen shot is helpful, as if you had happened to not pressed the buttons at the exact same time, it would not perform any action. So, screen shot notice means you did press at the same time and it's OK to go ahead and hold them down to Soft Reset.
    No notice means try again.

For your Classic, and other PKB BlackBerry devices even into the BB7 OS ones, the method you are using also works.
    Reset a BlackBerry smartphone
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 09-06-16 at 02:08 PM.
    09-04-16 06:04 AM