I was called into one of my clients to deal with a mess. Basically they had several email accounts syncing calendars and contacts, etc... Contacts and calendars that were duplicated in multiple places, etc... i got all of that straightened out. Not that this issue couldn't happen on a BB10 device, in fact, i know that it can get just as jacked up as any other device out there.

What i am getting at... I have not used an android device extensively except to setup the occasional email account, etc... What i noticed with android, is that there is so much $HIT on the phone. It seems fairly confusing with all the widgets, panes, setting, etc. Even the users that have been using the phone for a couple of months didn't even know how to get to certain things, etc... I was able to navigate through the device just fine, but it seemed a lot of work. There is nothing simplistic about the OS or a real easy way to do anything. I was trying to swipe, hide the keyboard, typing on the keyboard just plain sucks.

anyway...just love my Z10...
    08-22-13 02:14 PM
    Can you love them both! I have a Z10 AND an S4, and I love them both.
    Saiga and grover5 like this.
    08-22-13 02:33 PM
    I agree OP, android OS tends to be a mess. One of the reasons why I left this platform and went with bb10

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 likes this.
    08-22-13 02:39 PM
    Never going back to android my self

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 03:48 PM
    Good to hear!!!
    08-22-13 03:51 PM
    So true, buddy of mine has a S4....his phone is still laggy. android is a great phone provided you monitor apps running, and take care of it....if your a joe six pack......the thing gets totally slowed down by crap!. anyways fyi.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 03:52 PM
    Z10 all the way!!!!!!!
    08-22-13 04:06 PM
    I don't understand the love for android other than customization and it's openness...

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 likes this.
    08-22-13 04:08 PM
    I can understand the dislike for the S4 and devices that run a skin on top of Android. But to be fair, these are not stock Android. If you want to experience pure Android, without all the mess and bloatware of devices like an S4, try a Nexus 4. Its actually very intuitive and simple to use. I currently own a N4, but I may be switching to the Z10, mainly because i want a smaller phone and the z10 is a perfect size imo, plus, I'm a tech junkie. I really do dig blackberry 10 as an OS.
    tangyboy likes this.
    08-22-13 04:57 PM
    I can understand the dislike for the S4 and devices that run a skin on top of Android. But to be fair, these are not stock Android. If you want to experience pure Android, without all the mess and bloatware of devices like an S4, try a Nexus 4. Its actually very intuitive and simple to use. I currently own a N4, but I may be switching to the Z10, mainly because i want a smaller phone and the z10 is a perfect size imo, plus, I'm a tech junkie. I really do dig blackberry 10 as an OS.
    Ya the form factor of Z10 imo is perfect. The Nexus 4 us a fine product, but BB10 is so damn fast, and never lags....on 10.2 it runs most android apps as smooth as native....its pretty kick ***

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:38 PM
    So true! There are too many great phones out there to limit yourself to only one.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-22-13 05:43 PM
    If we're talking about Android, I'd rather love the Sony Xperia Z1... It's one zero from being a Z10...
    tangyboy likes this.
    08-22-13 05:49 PM
    I don't understand the love for android other than customization and it's openness...

Posted via CB10
    Maybe that's all the reason they need
    08-22-13 06:04 PM
    If I keep this S4 that I'm using now, it won't be due to "Love of Android". It'll just be about the specific things That work better for me. If I had them on my Z10 I wouldn't be evaluating the S4.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    08-22-13 06:14 PM
    Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Last edited by Saiga; 08-22-13 at 06:51 PM.
    08-22-13 06:20 PM
    If I keep this S4 that I'm using now, it won't be due to "Love of Android". It'll just be about the specific things That work better for me. If I had them on my Z10 I wouldn't be evaluating the S4.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    Just a word of advice from someone who has an Android tablet? Look beyond Samsung. The build quality is cheap imo.

Look at the other hardware manufacturers that have Android devices... Totally up to you of course, but personally I find the build quality cheap and having played with a few friends' S4s recently, I find them laggy... I recommend that you check out HTC, LG and Sony... Anyway, best of luck.
    08-22-13 06:20 PM
    Ya the form factor of Z10 imo is perfect. The Nexus 4 us a fine product, but BB10 is so damn fast, and never lags....on 10.2 it runs most android apps as smooth as native....its pretty kick ***

Posted via CB10
    Agh, I'm so interested to try BB 10. Ive heard great things about 10.2. I only played with the Z10 in store, and one thing I immediately noticed and loved was the build quality. That device feels extremely solid, and I love the textured finish, which feels like it would hold up to scratches and scuffs quite well. Can't say the same about the chrome and glass on my N4. And its a huge bonus that you can sideload apps on it too.
    08-22-13 06:37 PM
    Android is so complicated it took me a whole month to learn how to do everything with my note 2 after having a blackberry for 8 years. Then when bb delayed the us release yet again I got pissed off and replaced my 9810 with a note 2. And just realized is not that bb is easier to use its just devoid of options. No apps, No customization especially after they killed theme builder. And just plain bad decision making. I still have a playbook all the good it does me bb has abandoned it. Went out and got the Note 10.1maybe I can use the playbook to level my work bench or something. What does bb have left in the us? 2 percent market share. But I'm sure it will last as the phone of choice in 3rd world countries like China and Kuwait.
    08-22-13 06:39 PM
    Agh, I'm so interested to try BB 10. Ive heard great things about 10.2. I only played with the Z10 in store, and one thing I immediately noticed and loved was the build quality. That device feels extremely solid, and I love the textured finish, which feels like it would hold up to scratches and scuffs quite well. Can't say the same about the chrome and glass on my N4. And its a huge bonus that you can sideload apps on it too.
    BlackBerry 10 is a great OS, every bit as good as Android, iOS or WP8. Don't be discouraged by the negative comments on this forum. It doesn't have the App selection of Android or iOS, but it's also been out for six months, not six years.... So yeah.
    08-22-13 06:45 PM
    Android is so complicated it took me a whole month to learn how to do everything with my note 2 after having a blackberry for 8 years. Then when bb delayed the us release yet again I got pissed off and replaced my 9810 with a note 2. And just realized is not that bb is easier to use its just devoid of options. No apps, No customization especially after they killed theme builder. And just plain bad decision making. I still have a playbook all the good it does me bb has abandoned it. Went out and got the Note 10.1maybe I can use the playbook to level my work bench or something. What does bb have left in the us? 2 percent market share. But I'm sure it will last as the phone of choice in 3rd world countries like China and Kuwait.
    You have the option of upgrading to the BlackBerry 9720 if you don't like the new OS.

Especially if you find Android so complicated.

Not sure why BB market share affects you? Can you explain that?
    08-22-13 06:48 PM
    Full disclosure, I am getting an HTC One soon, and at that point I will sell or trade the S4. And I also own an iPad mini (I LOVE my mini!)
    08-22-13 09:58 PM
    My wife switched from BlackBerry to a S4. She hasn't had any problems. It is a great phone. She has a much tougher time picking up my Q10 and figuring out how to use it. And these forums are littered with complaints about things that don't work well or aren't intuitive with BB10.

At this point, many of the phones out there are pretty good. I love BB, but to say it is so intuitive and so much better may be a bit much. Yes, it does some things better, but I am sure some of the other operating systems handle other things better in many people's opinions. I'll even admit to this. The S4 camera picture quality is much better for example. But, you can't beat the multi-tasking of BB10.

At the end of the day, most phones in some manner are going to do most of the things that people want. That is what I think BlackBerry is finding out now with the late arrival of these new phones and subpar sales.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 08-23-13 at 08:40 AM.
    08-22-13 10:36 PM
    I went ahead and rooted the S4 and got rid of about a GB of junk. This doesn't affect performance, but it satisfies my OCD. What does affect performance is a little utility called "Greenify", for which root is needed. Greenify allows the user to create a list of programs that are forced into hibernation except when opened and in use. They can't do anything "in the background." There are surprisingly many apps that continue to operate at intervals in the background, even when not in use. These can affect performance.

Before anyone asks why I'm posting this in the BB10 OS forum, it's because this will soon become relevant, when we have headless apps. At the moment, almost any app that is closed out of an active frame is completely out of action, so there's no worry about it chugging away in the background. We don't yet know how carefully BlackBerry will oversee headless apps and evaluate them for good behavior.

Even in BBOS7, there are apps that run invisibly when you think they're closed. Pandora, for example, loads on startup and runs intermittently throughout the day, even if you don't touch it. It doesn't appear in the normal task manager view, but the Device Analyzer shows it using CPU time anyway. In Android, the situation is, as you'd expect, even more unpredictable. I don't know about iOS.

The intention of the developer of the Greenify Android app is to motivate developers to write better behaved apps. If BlackBerry can find a better way to manage this, so that something like Greenify isn't needed, that will be an accomplishment. Maybe apps that want to run in the background could be required to get an explicit user permission.
    lactose likes this.
    08-23-13 08:17 AM