Friend of mine works for the US government. He has a Government issued BB10 (a Z10, I figured out from his description) and he had posted and commented on Facebook about the IBM/Apple deal and how that was going to finally let him get back to an iPhone. (and kill Blackberry).

I posted, like I normally do, that while BBRY has had issues, QNX is strong, and that BB10 is amazing if he hadn't tried it, it was very different from earlier OS. He then commented on how his was touch only, and he hated the touchscreen compared to the Apple, and how poor the battery life was.

Kept fishing, figured out that it was a Z10 and probably hasn't been updated. He also complained about battery life, to which I pointed out to him that battery life on the iPhone 5 is as poor (if not worse). Finally, he kept having it restart on him at odd intervals and would lose signal... both of which (again) point to me that the government/phone service hasn't updated his phone, as I was having that issue when I first got mine, nearly a year ago... and I gently pointed that out to him as well... I don't know what good it did, because he's pretty sour to the BB10 now, but it does point out the problems BBRY has with the rollouts of OS's, and getting the problems of the early ones behind them ASAP.

Specifically, if there were a way for him to update, I think about 80% of his complaints would go away... except that, he being human, after having dealt with them for this long, he's tired even if it is fixed, and will want to move on to "greener pastures".
    07-23-14 12:12 AM
    I have a similar experience with a friend and colleague who has a Z10. We haven't yet engaged in a proper BB10 discussion, but he has complained a couple of times on "how bad his phone is and that it doesn't sync with his email".

I noticed however, when he received a phone call, that he had the old type of answering screen (pulling up or down). This happened about a month ago, so I figured he hasn't updated his device to the latest official OS 10.2.1. (I have it on my Z30 and so does my father on his Z10).

I do agree that BlackBerry has had some update issues in the past, but also think that the problem has to do with carriers and users. I find too many people who complain about glitches on BB10 are usually running old OS versions and don't even have a clue on (nor are interested in finding out) how to do a manual search for updates.

I'm due for a talk with my friend and hope I can convince him to stay with BB10.

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    07-23-14 12:25 AM
    Friends don't let friends stay on OS 10.1

Z10 10.2.1.3175 via CB10
    07-23-14 12:53 AM
    After reading so many articles about all of these companies having nothing but trouble with MDM solutions and BYOD, something tells me this IBM deal will not make all of that magically go away overnight and that they'll have to deal with a ton more issues than they are having now when they first adopt it. Something tells me he'll be jumping on the "I want my BlackBerry back!" bandwagon fairly soon after it happens, IF it happens...
    Clanked and dpw09 like this.
    07-23-14 01:40 AM
    Friend of mine works for the US government. He has a Government issued BB10 (a Z10, I figured out from his description) and he had posted and commented on Facebook about the IBM/Apple deal and how that was going to finally let him get back to an iPhone. (and kill Blackberry).

I posted, like I normally do, that while BBRY has had issues, QNX is strong, and that BB10 is amazing if he hadn't tried it, it was very different from earlier OS. He then commented on how his was touch only, and he hated the touchscreen compared to the Apple, and how poor the battery life was.

Kept fishing, figured out that it was a Z10 and probably hasn't been updated. He also complained about battery life, to which I pointed out to him that battery life on the iPhone 5 is as poor (if not worse). Finally, he kept having it restart on him at odd intervals and would lose signal... both of which (again) point to me that the government/phone service hasn't updated his phone, as I was having that issue when I first got mine, nearly a year ago... and I gently pointed that out to him as well... I don't know what good it did, because he's pretty sour to the BB10 now, but it does point out the problems BBRY has with the rollouts of OS's, and getting the problems of the early ones behind them ASAP.

Specifically, if there were a way for him to update, I think about 80% of his complaints would go away... except that, he being human, after having dealt with them for this long, he's tired even if it is fixed, and will want to move on to "greener pastures".
    No US government contracts use Z10s.

Source: BlackBerry

Why are you misleading everyone with this?

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3247
    07-23-14 01:56 AM

Then why do I and most of my colleagues supporting the NIH and HHS all have government issued Z10s?

I've had to manually do the upgrades on several Z10s that got the prompt to update, but couldn't do it OTA, so I did the updates via Link. Most of the ones on 10.1 were having issues with the work partition not opening or email sync problems, just like the OP mentioned. One of them was so far gone it had lost its connection to the BES.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 04:49 AM
    good thing that ibm/apple deal is far from getting any FIPS certs or anything to make them even a considerable solution for governments
    djdragon likes this.
    07-23-14 05:30 AM
    good thing that ibm/apple deal is far from getting any FIPS certs or anything to make them even a considerable solution for governments
    I thought some of Apple's devices are FIPS certified.
    07-23-14 06:56 AM

Not attempting to mislead anyone. He works for the government, he has a phone issued to him by them. It is a Blackberry 10. It is all touch. He has had it for a little over a year. Please enlighten me on exactly which phone he *does* have then?

And if you claim he doesn't have one? You are a collection of electrons on the internet. I've crossed swords with this guy many times over the last 15 years. He has no reason to lie.

I just wish he were about 6000 miles closer right now, so I could look at it and see about how to guide him into an OS update for it. As it is, I think my talking with him kind of did that where he'll talk to his IT contacts.

The real take-away is this: Any corporate or institutional issued phone will have a certain OS on it unless/until their IT department gives them the go-ahead to update. These updates will lag behind current. Those older OS's are giving BB a black eye (as it were).
    07-23-14 09:31 AM

The grass is always greener on the other side. People have gotten it into their heads that BlackBerry is horrible (partially BlackBerry's fault for being late to the game with OS 10 and then it sucked for a little while, and partially because of end user ignorance) and that somehow life will be magically better if they can use their personal devices for business.

The sad reality is what the user envisions and what the company/government are willing to implement are two different things most of the time. That's why you see articles with people hating BYOD MDM and wanting to go back to a split device model.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    saxxman likes this.
    07-23-14 11:05 AM
    I thought some of Apple's devices are FIPS certified.
    since iOS 6 i think they have had some FIPS certifications
    07-23-14 11:41 AM
    since iOS 6 i think they have had some FIPS certifications
    only the crypto core as far as i know, that shouldnt be enough for any governmental use as a phone, maybe its crypto core is. i dont know how it got fips 140-2 though after gotofail (Apple's 'goto fail' tells us nothing good about Cupertino's software delivery process | ZDNet), that certificate should have been revoked immediately
    07-23-14 12:13 PM

I just wish he were about 6000 miles closer right now, so I could look at it and see about how to guide him into an OS update for it. As it is, I think my talking with him kind of did that where he'll talk to his IT contacts.
    Bbm screen share..
    saxxman likes this.
    07-23-14 12:47 PM

Had enlightening (but sad) chat with friend today regarding BB10-img_20140723_111548.jpg
    I work for the US Fed Gov't. I've attached a photo of my work phone taken from my personal Q10. Care to guess what type of phone it is?

Source: Me

Why are You misleading everyone with this?

Via my simply amazing ? Q10 10.2.1.3253
    garrett1972 likes this.
    07-23-14 01:23 PM

Not true. A guy I know works for a nearby city in my area has a job issued BlackBerry device. Last time I checked, City, State, and Federal jobs are all considered, government official.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 01:31 PM
    My coworker just switched from a Z10 to an iPhone 5. Reasons for it is short life battery and unlimited feature WeChat app.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-23-14 01:35 PM
    Double post
    Last edited by slagman5; 07-23-14 at 02:15 PM.
    07-23-14 01:59 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140723_111548.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	286610
    I work for the US Fed Gov't. I've attached a photo of my work phone taken from my personal Q10. Care to guess what type of phone it is?

Source: Me

Why are You misleading everyone with this?

He must be very busy now, haven't replied to any comment about this, it's weird, but hey man, we all got lives outside CB so...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-23-14 02:00 PM
    The Z10 does have terrible battery life (much worse than an iphone5) and loses signal all the time. Your friend is spot on and I'm running 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 02:31 PM
    Then why do I and most of my colleagues supporting the NIH and HHS all have government issued Z10s?

I've had to manually do the upgrades on several Z10s that got the prompt to update, but couldn't do it OTA, so I did the updates via Link. Most of the ones on 10.1 were having issues with the work partition not opening or email sync problems, just like the OP mentioned. One of them was so far gone it had lost its connection to the BES.

Posted via CB10
    I said govt contracts, not employees

07-23-14 06:11 PM
    I said govt contracts, not employees

Did I say I was a Federal Gov't employee or a Contractor working under a Federal Gov't contract? I didn't. But let me save you some time: both me and my fellow contractor/employees all carry Z10's.

07-23-14 06:47 PM
    Did I say I was a Federal Gov't employee or a Contractor working under a Federal Gov't contract? I didn't. But let me save you some time: both me and my fellow contractor/employees all carry Z10's.

Ok
    07-23-14 06:50 PM

Um, what about review board executives? Huh??? Lol, just kidding man. :-D

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-23-14 09:34 PM
    The Z10 does have terrible battery life (much worse than an iphone5) and loses signal all the time. Your friend is spot on and I'm running 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    I've heard bad things about the iPhone battery life. With the Z10's we can carry extra batts, and do. Not an option for iPhone. we're going from Z10's to another platform this week and it's that which has led me away from iPhone and started looking at android.

Any android model suggestions are also welcomed if that's not too rude in a BlackBerry forum.

Post via BlackBerry ZedAche 10.2.1.3247
    07-24-14 12:13 AM

The real take-away is this: Any corporate or institutional issued phone will have a certain OS on it unless/until their IT department gives them the go-ahead to update. These updates will lag behind current. Those older OS's are giving BB a black eye (as it were).
    Is this true for iPhones, I thought any iPhone can get an update directly from Apple.
    07-24-14 12:39 AM
30 12