Just a question, is it easy or even possible for someone to hack my BlackBerry Z30 thru wifi?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 05:35 PM
    Depends what your definition of hack is.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-21-15 05:49 PM
    bluejacking could get you ...wifi, less likely... IMHO

Just a question, is it easy or even possible for someone to hack my BlackBerry Z30 thru wifi?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 06:06 PM
    Any cell phone can be hack from wifi.
    Yes including BlackBerry

From Classic
    01-21-15 09:10 PM
    Does having an anti virus reduce the risk? And will the anti virus be able to detect if my phone is hacked?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 09:32 PM
    What do you mean with 'hacked'? Yes, every WiFi connection can be hacked, somehow, but no one has hacked or rooted a bb10 device.

So, I you are afraid that someone can 'read' what you are transmitting via WiFi, f.e. your emails, use VPN or BES to connect to your Mailserver.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 09:48 PM
    Some one I know said he can hack my phone easily because he has my mac address.... like spy on my bbms,emails,whatsapp texts etc

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:16 PM
    Some one I know said he can hack my phone easily because he has my mac address.... like spy on my bbms,emails,whatsapp texts etc

Posted via CB10
    Untrue.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:17 PM
    Just let him. Blackberry won't be famous for security if it just gets hack easily

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:40 PM
    Not a computer expert but I'm pretty sure having your mac address doesn't mean a whole lot. He's just blowing smoke up your ***
    01-23-15 10:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Only true when you use Wi-Fi. There's an attack called "ARP Spoofing" allow a person to redirect your network connection to his/her PC using the fault in the design of ARP protocol. There is an way to protect from the attack, but I'm unsure if BlackBerry implement it on the device. However, the attacker can only view decrypted data, which is data comes from HTTP sites. You can encrypt your connection with VPN to avoid being spoofed.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2072
    smarba likes this.
    01-24-15 03:38 AM
    Via WiFi it's the same old story with every device: if you don't use some kind of encryption for your connections like ssl, every other client can read your transmitted data.
    An attacker then can play "man in the middle" if you don't look at the certificate chain (certificate warnings ignored).
    Then it's even possible to read encrypted data.
    This can especially be a problem in public hotspots.
    But this all is not a BlackBerry specific problem.
    BlackBerry has no security flaw I know of.
    I think it is the most secure platform out there.
    Look at the security level the system has for organisations like NATO, NSA, U.S. Military, German government e.g.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 03:45 AM
    Anybody who owns a router can sniff packets thus hacking but not exactly enter the device and steal info like the movies.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 04:22 AM
    If he wiresharks your connection he will remain with the encryption... good luck with that!!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 05:23 AM
    Use a vpn and send the friend an exlax brownie

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 09:35 AM
    If he wiresharks your connection he will remain with the encryption... good luck with that!!

Posted via CB10
    I've run Kismet and Wireshark on wifi. Your comment doesn't make any sense. Or are you trying to say all that will be seen is encrypted data? That isn't exactly true since the meta data will be seen. And of course your MAC will be sniffed.

But none of the hacks mentioned thus far hack the actual device.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 07:06 PM
    all that will be seen is encrypted data?
    isn't it?
    01-27-15 06:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    How does that saying go........... oh ya LOL.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 07:30 AM
    Unless your buddy is a master hacker I doubt he could do anything at all!

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    01-27-15 07:33 AM
    Tell him to prove it.. Otherwise he is FOS..
    01-27-15 07:52 AM
    How does that saying go........... oh ya LOL.

Posted via CB10
    Unless you use TLS on email, it can be read via wifi. There is a program called driftnet that grabs photo attachments from email over wifi.

The big problem with not using TLS is your password goes out in the clear.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    If this person is on your wifi network, and the wifi network is unencrypted, they could sniff the data sent over wifi... if you're not on BES then emails would be readable as they are sent to and from your phone, bbm is encrypted so he couldn't read that, whatsapp I think is encrypted, texts aren't sent over wifi, they go over your mobile carrier.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 01:14 PM
    Unless you use TLS on email, it can be read via wifi. There is a program called driftnet that grabs photo attachments from email over wifi.

The big problem with not using TLS is your password goes out in the clear.

Posted via CB10
    A lot email services use TLS now, gmail does... go to settings / accounts to see, look for SSL encryption on imap (or pop) and smtp

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 02:17 PM
    A lot email services use TLS now, gmail does... go to settings / accounts to see, look for SSL encryption on imap (or pop) and smtp

Posted via CB10
    Correct, but when using an email client as opposed to email over a website, few insist on TLS. I run all my financial email through a service not associated with any of my domain names for security. This service will not allow you to set up your client without TLS.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 03:41 PM
    As others have said I very very much doubt he can access the contents of your phone because blackberry current released OS's do not have any know record of somebody being able to gain root access (ability to modify anything as you wish, think jailbreak or rooting customizations on other phones).

It is however very likely if he has a basic networking knowledge and free tools such as Cali Linux or backtrack, and if on the same WiFi network he can perform a man in the middle attack which allows him to view everything going to and from your device over IP. This excludes texts and phone calls as they use carrier network. If you use IPSEC VPN for Web browsing this is not possible because authentication will fail (very hard to fake cert or key). SSL or TLS which you know as https can be spoofed more easily but often you will see certificate not trusted warnings.
    Switch to LTE and he is obviously lying.
    01-27-15 04:03 PM
37 12