So You Want to Upgrade Your OS?
    We all are chasing the next best thing. If you want to upgrade your BB OS, you will need to follow a few steps and gather a few items. First, you need a Windows-based PC, a USB cable for your phone and the correct OS downloaded from the forums. The OS will be in the form of .exe. (Note to Mac users: you need a bootcamp partition on your Mac in order to use the Mac OS.)

[NOTE]NOTE ON DEVICE MODELS:
    • All Z10 variants (STL100-2, -3, -4) are the same EXCEPT for STL100-1.
    • All Z30 variants (STA100-x) are the same.
    • All Q5 (SQR100-x) and Q10 (SQN100-x) variants are the same.
    [/NOTE]

First Things First:
    Now, before any install it is always wise to make a backup of your device . (Backup by plugging to BlackBerry Link and choosing backup. It takes a while. Leave the phone alone till your phone backup has completed.) A backup is going to be useful if you want to restore everything once you load the OS. A backup is never a bad thing. There are situations where you probably shouldn't restore, but we will discuss those later.

Finding Your OS:
    To start, you will need to confirm your device model number. You can find this information by going into your 'About' menu within the settings. If you have a Z30 it will start with STA, Z10 with STL, a Q10 with SQN, and a Q5 with SQR.

Once you know your device model number, you need to check the CB forums and, more specifically, the BB10 Beta/Leaked OS thread found here: BB10 Leaked/Beta OS - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

In this thread you will see many different OSes represented. You need to determine which is the version number you want to run on your device and then download the file. MATCH the number of your device to the correct number on the OS file.

More than likely, the file will be hosted at MEGA or bitcasa and you will need to wait about 15 minutes for it to completely download. When it downloads, the file will be in a RAR format. You may UNZIP the file using WinRar or 7Zip. REMEMBER: your goal is to get to an .exe file.

Loading the OS:

Once the file has downloaded, make sure BB Link is CLOSED. Plug your phone into your Windows PC and double click the .exe file you have just downloaded. The AUTOLOADER will start installing files to your phone. During this process it reboots your phone as well. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE WHILE THIS IS GOING ON. You run the risk of soft-bricking your device (black screen red blinking led) if you fiddle with your phone during the loading process. Do not touch the phone.

In about 10 minutes, the OS will load. and the phone will reboot. When it reboots, it will bring you to the initial setup. There are questions you must answer and initial swiping you need to do. Do it. Put in your BBID when asked. The phone will boot to the home screen.

Restoring Your Backup:

At this point you may restore your backup if you would like. Restoring a backup is not recommended if you were having overheating problems or severe battery draining issues on your phone prior to the OS upgrade. Sometimes restoring the backup only adds those same problems to your new install.

If you DO want to restore, plug your phone into your PC and open BB Link. Choose restore and then the latest file (backup) that you made. The process begins. Depending on the data on your phone, the process could take as long as 1 hour. Do not try to use your phone during this process either. Leave it still and plugged into your PC.

After following these steps, you should have successfully loaded a new OS to your Baby BlackBerry!
    Changes and suggestions to this guide are welcomed. Please PM me.
    Last edited by Elite1; 04-30-14 at 12:55 PM.
    middbrew, Elite1, Ecm and 153 others like this.
    04-27-14 06:57 AM
    Okay CrackBerry Nation:

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN!!!

[TIP]
    • Please do NOT post replies saying "thanks" or "great guide".
    • Instead, please DO use the Thanks or Like buttons on the OP.
    • If replying, do NOT quote the whole OP please!
    [/TIP]

Suggestions can be made in thread or via PM to the author, JayDee.
    04-30-14 12:42 PM
    04-30-14 12:43 PM
    I love seeing the CrackBerry users supporting each other. I've noticed Jaydee is always around helping out. Thank you.
    jaydee5799, Elite1, bbnrs and 3 others like this.
    05-05-14 11:10 PM
    Would like to add that it will be better to have the phone on flight mode during backup and restore process
    05-06-14 04:03 AM
    Would like to add that it will be better to have the phone on flight mode during backup and restore process
    This is optional and some choose to do it. I think its because then you don't get messages while you working on it.
    05-07-14 10:16 AM
    This is optional and some choose to do it. I think its because then you don't get messages while you working on it.
    Yup, and don't forget if somebody calls you during that time
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-07-14 01:01 PM
    There so many links to download file m confused. Can u helo me which file i have to download to install. My ph model is z10 stl100-2.. pls help me

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 12:52 AM
    To be perfect, there should be a link to a post, that certainly exists, explaining how to find signed files and build an autoloader with sachesi or DBBT.
    08-24-14 05:29 AM
    There so many links to download file m confused. Can u helo me which file i have to download to install. My ph model is z10 stl100-2.. pls help me

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but, no, there are not. For example, here's a link to the latest leak with autoloaders (10.3.0.1052):

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...evices-953873/

The first link in Post #2 is for STL2/3.....You have a STL100-2, so click that link to download from Mega.

Where's the confusion?

NOTE TO MOD: Recommend deleting Posts #8, #9 and #10 within a few days as since they're not relevant to actual thread content.
    08-24-14 04:16 PM
    i having trouble connecting to device bootrom, does anybody know why is that?
    08-25-14 05:03 AM
    Jaydee, great guide, thanks for the time to post this, I think you should add the following to your "when not to restore from backup section"

"When going from one numbered OS IE:10.2.XXX to 10.3.XXX, DO NOT restore your application data. If you do this you will lose whatever features the new OS has included(such as assistant). You can still restore your settings and media if you desire"

I found this out the hard way last night, and spent the morning doing a clean app install from both BBW and Snap.
    jaydee5799 and KDB84 like this.
    08-25-14 08:38 AM
    Hi
    I have installed 10.3 OS but the Backup i took right before the install now fails to restore to my phone. I took the advice of John Tessler above and didnt load the App data and only went with the Settings& Contacts + Media restore and it just wont do it. Moreover, every time i try it fails and my phone crashes!

Basically am screwed. Plz help. I need my contacts and emails back !

Thanks
    Ali
    09-20-14 07:11 AM
    Best suggestion for loading a leaked OS is to never restore from a backup. Because this would bring bugs.

The next best suggestion I can give for you is to revert back to the old OS. Restore from backup. Sync all contacts to Gmail or outlook.

Install the leaked OS. Simply add the Gmail or outlook account to your phone via account settings. All your contacts & email will come back. Also, you wouldn't have any unnecessary bugs.

Hi
    I have installed 10.3 OS but the Backup i took right before the install now fails to restore to my phone. I took the advice of John Tessler above and didnt load the App data and only went with the Settings& Contacts + Media restore and it just wont do it. Moreover, every time i try it fails and my phone crashes!

Basically am screwed. Plz help. I need my contacts and emails back !

Thanks
    Ali

Posted via CB10
    Antonio Alvarez2 and PHTM7 like this.
    09-20-14 07:19 AM
    is there any way to load it from macos
    Last edited by ilyavs; 10-01-14 at 12:31 PM. Reason: type errror
    10-01-14 12:30 PM
    is there any way to load it from macos
    Pretty much just Boot Camp.
    10-01-14 05:46 PM
    Thanks Jaydee!

Some small questions:

1) what is an autoloader? Is this something built within the. Exe file?

2) others have raised the issue of not using a backup from a previous OS to transfer data - especially if it's from a 10.2.xxx to a 10.3.xxx. For those of you who use leaks as daily drivers, how do you get all your data over effectively??

3) what are the relatively most current yet stable versions of 10.3.1 leaks for z10 (non -1) and z30?

4) sometimes I read about people loading separate pieces of different versions of an OS together to make a stable device (like radio file). What is this about and should I be concerned??

5) anything else I should know?

Thanks guys!!

Posted via CB10
    FergusonCrowd likes this.
    10-05-14 12:11 PM
    1) what is an autoloader? Is this something built within the. Exe file?
    It's an automated device programming system created by BlackBerry. An autoloader include : the application used for loading OS, an OS and a radio.

2) others have raised the issue of not using a backup from a previous OS to transfer data - especially if it's from a 10.2.xxx to a 10.3.xxx. For those of you who use leaks as daily drivers, how do you get all your data over effectively??
    You should use an external app (eg. Backup Pro). Link can still be used to restore Media files and Non-System app data (mostly others app except BlackBerry Runtime and System Applications. you can do an custom backup/restore to deselect these options)

3) what are the relatively most current yet stable versions of 10.3.1 leaks for z10 (non -1) and z30?
    Personally I don't consider any leaks below .1000 stable. Mostly people said OS .642 good enough as an daily driver. Choice is up to you.

4) sometimes I read about people loading separate pieces of different versions of an OS together to make a stable device (like radio file). What is this about and should I be concerned??
    Some devices work better with an older Radio (firmware for your device networking operations) so they split an autoloader of an old OS to get the radio and combine it with the new OS to make the OS run better (mostly improve battery life)

5) anything else I should know?
    Some people reported there device wipe itself on powering down. For now there isn't any walkaround for that issue.
    Keep in mind that for best experience, don't restore and do an SIC wipe before loading new OS

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-06-14 11:21 AM
    Thanks Jaydee!

Some small questions:

If you are going from 10.2 to a 10.3, I would restore settings and media but not the application data. For any version of 10.3 to 10.3.1, I usually restore everything BUT the runtime file. The runtime in the newer OS is always what you want, so I would uncheck the runtime and go ahead and restore.
    I use 10.3.1 as my daily driver and I restored ALL except the runtime.
    10-11-14 02:53 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how do I know when I have found an OS with no auto loader or one with an autoloader. Do autoloaders just have. Exe while the former is only un-executable files that need to be installed via some other program?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 12:07 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how do I know when I have found an OS with no auto loader or one with an autoloader. Do autoloaders just have. Exe while the former is only un-executable files that need to be installed via some other program?

Posted via CB10
    well when you download the OS you will know which you have chosen...but exes are the single file and bar files and signed files have to be loaded with Sachesi...
    10-12-14 12:14 PM
    will i need to set up all my BBm contacts and emails on my Z30 after loading the leak?
    10-18-14 04:59 PM
    will i need to set up all my BBm contacts and emails on my Z30 after loading the leak?
    BBM contacts will come back with your BBID, which you put in after you sign in.
    Email accounts can be all transferred over if you restore your settings from a backup. You will still need to input your passwords though.
    10-18-14 05:14 PM
    First time installing leaks. All went super smooth. Thank you for the guide.
    bishumoharana likes this.
    10-19-14 01:01 AM
    Die Anleitung war absolut o.k. Hat alles geklappt. Danke. Gruss Steffen
    10-19-14 03:41 AM
210 123 ...