I'm wanting to upgrade my 9810 + WiFi Liberate (which I totally hate) to either a single Z10 or Z30 device. I know that either of these two devices will do wifi hotspot. But I seriously need "GPS over WiFi" protocol when in hotspot mode. Does BB10 make the Z10's (or Z30's) GPS data available to wifi connected devices? My present WiFi Liberate (which I totally hate) does this, and I can't presently afford to lose this functionality. AT&T's WiFi Liberate (which I totally hate) works well when it's working, but it has so many operational glitches (random shutdowns, hangs, overheating, etc.) that it is basically useless.
    10-15-13 02:27 PM
    What do you mean by GPS over Wi-Fi protocol?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 02:38 PM
    There is no GPS over wi-fi. GPS is GPS. It is its own system of networked satellites that the phone "sees" and locates itself in a mapping app, or just returns its longitude and latitude.

And, do you mean AT&T's MiFi Mobile hotspot Liberate? I think any of the BB10 phones can take the MiFi's place, assuming you have the right data plan that allows it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 03:18 PM
    Yes, the AT&T "MiFi" Liberate has it's own internal GPS receiver, and iPad's location services can easily see this GPS data. It's my understanding that "GPS over WiFi" (or actually GPS over IP) is a standard NMEA protocol. I was just wondering if the Z10/Z30 provided this same functionality.

See: Getting NMEA data to an iPad or iPhone | Digital Yacht Ltd
    10-15-13 08:05 PM
    Okay, I think I see what you're getting at.

Is it basically a way for the device to transmit the GPS data it gets to another device via a wi-fi connection? If so, I don't know if any BB10 has that capability.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 10:52 PM
    Sounds like something that got hacked together to make up for the especially crappy GPS hardware Apple sees fit to put in iPads. NMEA over a network socket would be easy to do on BB10. I was going to write a app to send it via BlueTooth, a much better solution, but apparently iPads won't connect to BlackBerrys via BlueTooth.
    10-15-13 11:45 PM