I've been handling the new operating system (10.3.1.2243) for several days and everything was great until last weekend.

In different applications (BlackBerry Maps, Moovit & Waze), the GPS connection isn't available. The location services are enabled (In fact, BlackBerry Compass, BlackBerry Travel & BlackBerry Weather works perfectly). I wonder if there are similar reports about this...

It's worth to mention that I used the autoloaders of the OS 10.3.1.2243 Live Links ,For 10.3.1 user topic because I do a clean install each time I load a new operating system. Could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance, guys!
    03-07-15 02:43 AM
    Did u try looking under location services "Go to application permissions to set the location permissions for individual applications"
    Im currently running 10.3.1.2480 on my passport
    MarcoAntonioGR likes this.
    03-07-15 03:34 AM
    Did u try looking under location services "Go to application permissions to set the location permissions for individual applications"
    Im currently running 10.3.1.2480 on my passport
    Thanks, blueburk!

Yes, the location permissions are enabled on the three applications mentioned above.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone via Tapatalk
    03-07-15 10:35 AM
    I'm having the same issue too. Z30 on 10.3.1.1581 and all of a sudden no apps can access GPS. Location services turned on and all the apps have permission. I also did a clean autoloader install.

Have you found a solution?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 06:16 AM
    I'm having the same issue too. Z30 on 10.3.1.1581 and all of a sudden no apps can access GPS. Location services turned on and all the apps have permission. I also did a clean autoloader install.

Have you found a solution?

Posted via CB10
    Not yet, pcondello. But I'm going to try different autoloaders this weekend, I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone via Tapatalk
    03-13-15 02:26 AM
    I use 1581 pushed by ATT. I don't know how to check if GPS is available or not. Blackberry Maps works. Google Map does not. I tried both old and new version of google map

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 02:49 AM
    I used Sachesi and bumped the OS to 10.3.1.1767 (Rogers hasn�t released the latest small update for the Z30) and the GPS is now working fine! Google Maps, Waze, BB Maps all working ok.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 10:27 PM
    I've been handling the new operating system (10.3.1.2243) for several days and everything was great until last weekend.

In different applications (BlackBerry Maps, Moovit & Waze), the GPS connection isn't available. The location services are enabled (In fact, BlackBerry Compass, BlackBerry Travel & BlackBerry Weather works perfectly). I wonder if there are similar reports about this...

It's worth to mention that I used the autoloaders of the OS 10.3.1.2243 Live Links ,For 10.3.1 user topic because I do a clean install each time I load a new operating system. Could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance, guys!
    Location Based Services is a collection of cell site, Wi-Fi, and GPS based locations. The programs you mentioned as working perfectly, compass travel and weather don't need very accurate location data to function so cell site or Wi-Fi give adequate results.

Before doing a bunch of random re-installations I would suggest you gather more information using applications like BBVE, GPS Status or HelloGPS.

After an fresh install, like using an autoloader, it can take some time for the GPS engine to get all the data it needs to compute a fix, depending on signal availability and other factors.
    04-03-15 09:18 AM
    I'm having difficulty in 10.3.1.1784

Using gps status app I can see plenty of satellites but I can't fix on any of them. I did a software reinstall as it was overdue but stupidly reinstalled all my apps before testing the gps which still doesn't work. I've only got amazon app store and candy crush as my non bbw android apps.

Any ideas how to diagnose the problem?
    04-03-15 04:53 PM
    I'm having difficulty in 10.3.1.1784

Using gps status app I can see plenty of satellites but I can't fix on any of them. I did a software reinstall as it was overdue but stupidly reinstalled all my apps before testing the gps which still doesn't work. I've only got amazon app store and candy crush as my non bbw android apps.

Any ideas how to diagnose the problem?
    GPS Status is actually an Android port.

If the GPS is showing satellites but not fixing it has to download the ephemeris database. This takes time. Make sure the phone is fully charged or plugged in, start a GPS application (I recommend HelloGPS, because I wrote it), put it in a location with a good view of the sky and let it receive signal until it can compute a fix. If could take 30 minutes of longer.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    04-03-15 06:45 PM
    I'm having issues as well on my z30. Tried hard reset, re loading different os and re loading different map bars. Nothing seems to make the maps/gps work on 10.3.1 for my devices. Hope someone finds a fix for this. When I test BBVE it locks to 4+ satellites in matter of a second or two. But navigation keeps giving the same error.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 07:50 AM
    I'm having issues as well on my z30. Tried hard reset, re loading different os and re loading different map bars. Nothing seems to make the maps/gps work on 10.3.1 for my devices. Hope someone finds a fix for this. When I test BBVE it locks to 4+ satellites in matter of a second or two. But navigation keeps giving the same error.

Posted via CB10
    Locking onto the satellites just means that the hardware is working. After each time you reload the OS or do a hard reset you clear the ephemeris database and the navigation system has to start over.

Give the phone a clear view of the sky and let the GPS run for a while.

04-04-15 01:55 PM
    Locking onto the satellites just means that the hardware is working. After each time you reload the OS or do a hard reset you clear the ephemeris database and the navigation system has to start over.

Give the phone a clear view of the sky and let the GPS run for a while.

Tried that still no luck

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:49 PM
    Tried that still no luck

Posted via CB10
    Five words isn't much to go on to help diagnose the issue. How long did you let the GPS run? What program were you using? Was it always the active application, was the screen on, or was the application keeping the GPS active while the application was suspended?

04-06-15 08:14 AM
    Five words isn't much to go on to help diagnose the issue. How long did you let the GPS run? What program were you using? Was it always the active application, was the screen on, or was the application keeping the GPS active while the application was suspended?

My apologies for the 5 word answer
    I had hello gps and gps assistant running the whole night screen was on and clear sky view the apps were active the whole night. I ran hello gps one night and gps assistant another night. I also disabled apps that use gps so that they don't interfere. Still nothing

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:37 AM
    My apologies for the 5 word answer
    I had hello gps and gps assistant running the whole night screen was on and clear sky view the apps were active the whole night. I ran hello gps one night and gps assistant another night. I also disabled apps that use gps so that they don't interfere. Still nothing

Posted via CB10
    Applications can't interfere with each other.

If you like send a screen capture of HelloGPS aft running for one minute and then 20 minutes to the support address and I'll have a look at them.

[email protected]

04-06-15 12:06 PM
    Some Cell providers seem to have aGPS problems. I ran into it again yesterday. As per usual, setting the radio not to use LTE enable the GPS to work with BlackBerry Maps. I think some cell sites are not providing the assisted GPS properly and it causes the built in GPS not to work.

Others that do not have the option to select a cellular connection that excludes LTE have mentioned just turning off the cellular radio will allow the built in GPS to get the position correctly.
    04-06-15 02:55 PM

If you like send a screen capture of HelloGPS aft running for one minute and then 20 minutes to the support address and I'll have a look at them.

[email protected]

I will do that once I'm home I'll run it for 1 min then 20 and post screen shots

And I have tried turning lte off to get a gps position did not work for me.

Thanks for all the help everyone really appreciated

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 03:41 PM
    I will do that once I'm home I'll run it for 1 min then 20 and post screen shots

And I have tried turning lte off to get a gps position did not work for me.

Thanks for all the help everyone really appreciated

Posted via CB10
    Turning off LTE won't help either. In fact it could hurt. The device will try to download the ephemeris database from the Internet if it can contact the server.

04-06-15 04:25 PM

[email protected]

Here is about a min+ of hello gps running I'll upload the 20 min one when I get a chance
    GPS not available on 10.3.1.2243-img_20150406_192123.png

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 06:22 PM
    Here is about a min+ of hello gps running I'll upload the 20 min one when I get a chance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150406_192123.png 
Views:	349 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	346038

Posted via CB10
    This tells me quite a lot. You are getting a position fix based on Cell Tower data. Your phone has succesfully downloaded current ephemeris data so that it can calculate the azimuth and elevation to visible satellites. You are only receiving very poor signal from three Glonass satellites all located in a fairly narrow segment of the sky. You need to find a location with a better view of the sky so the GPS engine can complete a cold start.

Edit:

So, it looks like you are in an urban landscape. The good news is that the Snapdragon system on a chip that BlackBerry uses in their BB10 phones for North America can received both GPS and GLONASS signals. GLONASS is far superior to GPS in the "urban canyon" environment. But it still need to complete a cold start. Trying to complete a cold start in a concrete and steel high rise, unless you are on the top floor, can be a loosing proposition. So can trying to do the same from street level while moving or surrounded by tall structures.

The GPS L Band signal is at 1.5 GHz, the GLONASS is at 1.6 GHz. Both signals reflect quite well from modern building structures. This gives rise to multipath signals, what used to be called ghosting on old analogue broadcast TV signals. Relatively small movements or changes in the environment or orientation of the receiver can result in the receiver lock failing and the process re-starting. However once lock is achieved you will find it much quicker to lock on subsequent uses, unless you do something to throw away the data, like a reboot.

There is really no substitute for a good view of the sky and a little patience in these circumstances. A few minutes with a good sky view will accomplish what all night with a poor sky view won't.
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 04-06-15 at 07:26 PM.
    04-06-15 07:03 PM
    Work, but long time for search satellite on me.
    04-07-15 02:52 PM
    Work, but long time for search satellite on me.
    It can take a long time for a cold start in a bad signal location. If you use your GPS with reasonable frequency it won't take as long for a warm start.

04-07-15 03:49 PM
    GPS always on and if walk on city I need long wait to update position on NavFree App. GSM\WiFi is off now.
    04-07-15 03:54 PM
    Thanks for your input Richard.

I've spent time leaving the phone with gps running and have improved my connectivity but gps signal is still really flaky. Here's an image of my connection with clear sky. Is it really just a matter of time as my gps used to be so good, connecting in seconds, but now it's not holding a consistent signal on the open motorway.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by no1robson; 04-11-15 at 05:31 PM.
    04-11-15 04:30 PM
42 12