Unfortunately the past few months have seen Google play services increasingly used by Android developers.

The result has been that I can't use the apps I need on my BlackBerry phone.

This is really unfortunate because I need these apps but don't want to jump ship for the Crappier Android OS. It seems I'll have no choice. I'm going to give it until next quarterly results to see if Chen announces the licensing of Google play services

Any hope for me?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 03:40 PM
    Is it possible to have that Cobalt thread just be 1 single post ( his instructions & links to files) then closed for other people to post on. That way we won't have to muddle thru thousands of pages just to see the updated story. Of course original post is updated by Cobalt. Almost like a Web page on stead of a forum thread.
    Rozlyn, sk8er_tor and powereds like this.
    09-01-15 05:52 PM
    Very much appreciate showing me the link. I'll give it a try until the next quarterly report.

That said, this is unsustainable model for me (and probably 99% of consumers as well). I can't be applying patches and hacks to apps just to hope that they work temporarily. I'd still have to jump ship unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-01-15 08:09 PM
    Very much appreciate showing me the link. I'll give it a try until the next quarterly report.

That said, this is unsustainable model for me (and probably 99% of consumers as well). I can't be applying patches and hacks to apps just to hope that they work temporarily. I'd still have to jump ship unfortunately.
    Well, it's pretty much install the APK files and roll with it, not all apps need to be patched after that. But I don't even use it (hardly use Snap now really).

But yeah. BlackBerry AGREES with you and they are doing something about it. What? We don't know, they won't say.
    09-01-15 08:58 PM
    When you get your android and realize it doesn't have IOS apps on and you go to ***** about it I'll be happy I won't have to hear about it.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    Agreed.
    I've never had a single problem with any android app with BlackBerry 10. Some need patching (which is easy).
    The worst that can happen is u have trouble with it.
    Then just post about it here on CB, and one of the dedicated members will help u out.

They haven't failed me.

But don't come here and **** about it.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-01-15 09:10 PM
    Agreed.
    I've never had a single problem with any android app with BlackBerry 10. Some need patching (which is easy).
    The worst that can happen is u have trouble with it.
    Then just post about it here on CB, and one of the dedicated members will help u out.

They haven't failed me.

But don't come here and **** about it.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    How do you know if an App needs patching? I installed Cobalt files but I really do not know if my install was done correctly. I get a message saying that I need to sign in to Google for Google maps but it does seem to work. Not sure. Seems a little slow versus the Snap version.

Can I delete the Colbalt Google maps and reinstall the Snap version?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 10:16 AM
    Doublr
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-02-15 at 01:29 PM.
    09-02-15 10:17 AM
    You bought a BlackBerry and are upset you can't use Google Android apps. Why do people keep posting this? Did you not realize you were buying a BlackBerry phone and not an android? Can't you people be grateful that your nonandroid phone can run android apps? It's like using Linux and *****ing that windows apps won't work. Have a clue before you buy something or at least be willing to use the workarounds that are in place, like linux users use Wine as a work around - not everything will work but it's better than nothing... or should be anyways. Have fun with your crappy android phone.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    Get Android apps on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone! Download your favorite Android apps & games from the Amazon Appstore. - US

BlackBerry themselves advertise the phones to be able to run Android apps.
    09-02-15 10:27 AM
    Why can't blackberry create a google services clone? It would sit between the app ands the runtime. When an app requests an api to google play services the clone would say yes we have it installed. BlackBerry already has a maps api they could use for redirecting these calls. Then they can also work on the advertising part of Google services api and provide their own version of ads. This would generate money for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 12:06 PM
    Why can't blackberry create a google services clone? It would sit between the app ands the runtime. When an app requests an api to google play services the clone would say yes we have it installed. BlackBerry already has a maps api they could use for redirecting these calls. Then they can also work on the advertising part of Google services api and provide their own version of ads. This would generate money for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    It's proprietary, for one.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 09-02-15 at 12:36 PM.
    09-02-15 12:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Have your legal department ready for the IP/patent battle and your finance department with tons of cash for Google.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    09-02-15 12:23 PM
    The BB10 phones were announced with the ability to use android apps. Chen even announced the deal with Amazon to have their app store on the phones. So the OP has a right to question about how many of the apps now have to have Google Play Services working. He was not aware of the work around provided by Cobalt.

Your comment seemed to be a little critical about using BB phones for android apps. Many people have bought BB phones so they can have the best of both systems. Relax and accept that not everyone is as knowledgeable as you when it comes to understanding BB phones.

Read that again boys. They never promised you Google apps, just android apps from Amazon app store. Read the fine line before you go accusing ppl of false advertising. And blame google for being control freaks with their apps.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-02-15 05:57 PM
    Read that again boys. They never promised you Google apps, just android apps from Amazon app store. Read the fine line before you go accusing ppl of false advertising. And blame google for being control freaks with their apps.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    The BlackBerry website promises that Amazon offers a "Huge selection of your favourite apps and games" and "great prices and quality ".

Maybe not false but for terribly misleading.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 06:42 PM
    The BlackBerry website promises that Amazon offers a "Huge selection of your favourite apps and games" and "great prices and quality ".

Maybe not false but for terribly misleading.

Posted via CB10
    Those that don't do their research suffer in the end and then we all have to suffer listening to them whine about it.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-02-15 06:57 PM
    I love Snap and everything I need is there and works. Small exception, I can't watch games through the MLB At Bat app. But I can listen...and watching baseball on a Q10 is kinda pointless anyway.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 08:15 PM
    [WARN]The rude and off-topic comments (and where they were quoted) have been deleted. If you find yourself unable to post here in a civil manner, move on to another thread.[/WARN]
    09-02-15 08:56 PM
    I'm annoyed at Google for creating their play services which usually are nothing more then a way ti prevent people from using Android Apps on non-Google approved / controlled phones. They seem to have forgotten their original motto "do no evil"

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 09:11 PM
    Those that don't do their research suffer in the end and then we all have to suffer listening to them whine about it.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    Very true. They would have not a Blackberry if they knew then what they know today about the Amazon store.

The same goes for the double type issue, the Leap speaker and the myriad of quality issues on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 09:38 PM
    Very true. They would have not a Blackberry if they knew then what they know today about the Amazon store.

The same goes for the double type issue, the Leap speaker and the myriad of quality issues on the Passport.

BlackBerry is not alone in this regard. All phones seem to have some systemic issues - even the iPhone.
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 09:43 PM
    I'm annoyed at Google for creating their play services which usually are nothing more then a way ti prevent people from using Android Apps on non-Google approved / controlled phones. They seem to have forgotten their original motto "do no evil"

Posted via CB10
    That isn't being evil. They let people have freedom with apps and it got a little out of hand, now they're trying to reign it back in. It's still not like Apple, BlackBerry, or Windows where only those devices can get apps from their respective stores.
    09-02-15 09:44 PM
    I haven't used snap in months. You need to install gmaps patcher and just get used to using it. It's not really a big deal. Just got MapMyRun working with it.
    09-02-15 09:54 PM
    [WARN]The rude and off-topic comments (and where they were quoted) have been deleted. If you find yourself unable to post here in a civil manner, move on to another thread.[/WARN]
    Rude totally, off topic no. CB just lets all these anti-BlackBerry rants continue to grow in these forums with out a word. That freedom of speech is cool, talking back to these people in a rude manner, no cussing no name calling, just rude will not be tolerated. Got your warning, we'll see how long it takes to get myself banned.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-03-15 12:11 AM
    There's nothing anti-BlackBerry here, just people assessing limitations vs what they need out of a device and service sets. People have exchanged ideas and been constructive and if one person finds they need something in one platform that another doesn't offer, that's just down to end user requirements.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 01:27 AM
    There's nothing anti-BlackBerry here, just people assessing limitations vs what they need out of a device and service sets. People have exchanged ideas and been constructive and if one person finds they need something in one platform that another doesn't offer, that's just down to end user requirements.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the OP was quite adamant in his original and subsequent posts about leaving BlackBerry and just wanting everyone else to know this. When offered help and suggestions he rejected it and continued on his rant. This isn't constructive, and it's been a growing trend on CB for months now. At least once a day someone has to make it a point to tell us how they are leaving BlackBerry for android, hence why I keep calling these posters Google shills, nobody cares and nobody will bother to remember these posts tomorrow, so let us bash them for wasting everyone's time reading them.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639
    09-03-15 01:50 AM
    Devs are not forced to use Google play services, but they are incentivised to o so. Also, when a dev submits their app to the GOOGLE play store, they 100% expect any device that runs his app to have google play services installed. The devs didn't submit their apps to Amazon or any other app store, so they tested their app against Google certified devices.

Using snap is also against Google play's terms of service and could be blocked at any time for any reason.
    09-03-15 06:56 AM
51 123