*What if* we did get Google Play Services? Does it mean that apps that require GPS will have more access to our usage data and be able to mine other GPS apps for more info to send back to Google?

If so, I'm not so sure I would want GPS on my device. The reason I have uninstalled most Android apps, and will not allow any apps made by Google on my device, is because of a general distrust for how Google might use my data.

So, the point here is to talk about the privacy and security impacts on having GPS on our devices, based on what is currently known. Not speculation on what may come with the OS that may/may not be on the upcoming Slider, but more along the lines of if the current patching sort of solutions were included on all devices. What would we be sacrificing, in order to close the app gap? Anything?

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-18-15 12:44 PM
    *What if* we did get Google Play Services? Does it mean that apps that require GPS will have more access to our usage data and be able to mine other GPS apps for more info to send back to Google?

If so, I'm not so sure I would want GPS on my device. The reason I have uninstalled most Android apps, and will not allow any apps made by Google on my device, is because of a general distrust for how Google might use my data.

So, the point here is to talk about the privacy and security impacts on having GPS on our devices, based on what is currently known. Not speculation on what may come with the OS that may/may not be on the upcoming Slider, but more along the lines of if the current patching sort of solutions were included on all devices. What would we be sacrificing, in order to close the app gap? Anything?

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339
    Not sure what you mean by "what if", as it sure seems the majority here have already installed either SNAP or Google Play. Yeah a full official version of Android might have a few more working API that allow Google to "watch over you". But I guess it comes down to what do you think they are going to do with that data.... Let's face it GPS is just one tracking tool that can be used. But then you know that Carrier's also track customers via cell towers and A-GPS.... Banks are tracking you based on your in store purchases.
    08-18-15 01:24 PM
    Not sure what you mean by "what if", as it sure seems the majority here have already installed either SNAP or Google Play. Yeah a full official version of Android might have a few more working API that allow Google to "watch over you". But I guess it comes down to what do you think they are going to do with that data.... Let's face it GPS is just one tracking tool that can be used. But then you know that Carrier's also track customers via cell towers and A-GPS.... Banks are tracking you based on your in store purchases.
    By GPS above, I didn't mean the Google Play Store, I meant the patching that enables Google Play Services. Not everyone has done that here on CrackBerry and a smaller fraction of BlackBerry owners have done it that aren't on CrackBerry.

Also, I realize that there are plenty of was we get tracked everyday. With grocery stores' membership cards, I realize that is how they know to what coupons to print off for me when I make a purchase. And they may or may not be selling that info.

With Google, they are selling that info, and on a huge scale. Not only that, but they are linking it to maps to reach movement and taking it further than anyone else ever has. On top of that, I opted in to the membership cards. One could argue that purchasing an Android phone is opting in, but I don�t think most people would want it that way.

Back on track: The question remains, do Google Play Services mean that more than just that apps' data is phoning home? Does it give broader access to my data/location/activity that isn't recorded within the app?

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-18-15 01:53 PM
    All valid concerns. But if you truly don't want to be tracked you will need to get totally off the grid. NO cell phone. NO computer. NO land line. NO checks or credit/debit cards etc..... Don't even hold down a job.

Virtually everything you do is tracked at some level. Minimally it's profiled. Even when enough blind and unidentifiable data is singularly attached to one person, that person can be tracked. To be untrackable a person would have to deal only in cash without banks and deal largely in barter and not currency.

I get the issue of security and the need to be ever vigilant but understand when you use technology, you sign up to be tracked.

Now that said services such as LifeLock protect you by breaking up and removing a lot of that tracking but as you continue to live, you continue to leave a trail. Just face it tracking is everywhere. And that information is used and sold to others for all kinds of reasons. Even the untrackable are grouped and profiled so that sales pitches can be catered to the otherwise untrackable.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 02:18 PM
    If you don't want Google following you, buy a Blackphone or Blackphone 2, which is a hardened fork of Android. It runs zero Google presence and minimises your data being leaked through baked in apps and tools. I've used Blackphone 1 for 6 months alongside a Passport, and haven't looked back - the only reason I haven't made a full transition to Blackphone for work and personal use together is my love of the Hub and that having 2 devices keeps things neatly separated.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 03:33 PM
    I doubt the majority of CB readers have installed GPS, let alone the majority of BB10 users.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-18-15 03:57 PM
    Are we intelligent people in this forum confused about raw data and aggregate data? That seems to be the case whenever Google comes into any discussion of data collection. You can be concerned that Google collects the data, I think you'd have to make your case that Google sells that raw data to others, every time that has been questioned its crickets.

It doesn't make any sense to sell raw data to others, its 'teaching them to fish' and Google wants anyone that wants ads to come back to them again and again and pay for it.
    08-18-15 04:05 PM
    If you don't want Google following you, buy a Blackphone or Blackphone 2, which is a hardened fork of Android. It runs zero Google presence and minimises your data being leaked through baked in apps and tools. I've used Blackphone 1 for 6 months alongside a Passport, and haven't looked back - the only reason I haven't made a full transition to Blackphone for work and personal use together is my love of the Hub and that having 2 devices keeps things neatly separated.

Posted via CB10

Not anymore. Silent Circle just officially announced the new Blackphone 2.

Blackphone 2 News, Features, Release Date, and Pricing | Digital Trends

Guess what? With the new Silent OS (not PrivatOS anymore), it now has Google Services.

How do you suppose they figured out how to make that work? A secure OS and still having Google Services.
    08-18-15 05:22 PM
    As long as they segregated it away from the main Silent Space to the Personal Space on the devices, that will do nicely and strikes a good balance on Blackphone. Here's hoping they didn't riddle it with Google's services in every compartment, which would just defeat the purpose of the device.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 05:46 PM
    Guess what? With the new Silent OS (not PrivatOS anymore), it now has Google Services.

How do you suppose they figured out how to make that work? A secure OS and still having Google Services.
    There is a difference between privacy and security. I feel with BlackBerry you get both.
    08-18-15 07:13 PM
    Not anymore. Silent Circle just officially announced the new Blackphone 2.

Blackphone 2 News, Features, Release Date, and Pricing | Digital Trends

Hotdamn!

Screw the Slider. Screw Samsung, screw VRZN, screw LG4, hell screw BlackBerry! My next phone is the Blackphone!
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    08-18-15 07:24 PM
    With root access you can remove it all so it doesn't matter too much.
    08-19-15 01:04 PM
    The Blackphone has Limited access to typical apps, Unremarkable performance. The end to end security encryption only truly works when You are communicating with another Blackphone. Don't get too excited it's not all that just yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 01:36 PM
    With root access you can remove it all so it doesn't matter too much.
    IF BlackBerry comes out with a version of Android and they want Enterprises to adopt it, it better not be able to be rooted. If it is able to be rooted, then it will fail and not get the security certifications to replace BlackBerry 10.
    08-19-15 01:54 PM
    You can't have "privacy" with Google play services. You can't have privacy with Google anything LOL.
    Maxxxpower and kgbbz10 like this.
    08-20-15 07:53 AM
    People should remember that Privacy and security are different concepts.

Take Gmail for example. It is considered a secure service, meaning any unauthorized access to your email is not allowed, but privacy may be a concern as Google parses emails automatically for targeted advertising.

Now, onto Google Play services. The take a large part in updating Android security. These services are updated automatically for all Android devices, regardless of OS version and without requiring an OS update. For example, when the hearthbleed exploit happened, google just updated the google play services across all devices (no user intervention was required) and fixed the exploit. As for privacy, Location services and notifications go though google play services so Google has access to them.
    08-20-15 08:37 AM
    Frankly, instead of worrying about google play services, you should be worrying about android app permissions. That's the first line of defence as far as privacy is concerned. BlackBerry's inability to provide this basic feature with their android runtime has left me with little hope for their upcoming "android" slider (given what we're being made to believe).

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 08:57 AM
    Frankly, instead of worrying about google play services, you should be worrying about android app permissions. That's the first line of defence as far as privacy is concerned. BlackBerry's inability to provide this basic feature with their android runtime has left me with little hope for their upcoming "android" slider (given what we're being made to believe).

Posted via CB10
    Among other things, Android app permissions are of concern for me.

It's often mind-boggling, the camera app wants access to my contacts, microphone, and device information. That kind of thing.

When I see such permission requests (demands?), I have to wonder why all that is necessary. And, when I see apps that require so much, more often than not, I choose to go without that app.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    08-20-15 09:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's a good thing then that the next Android version will introduce granular permission settings.
    08-20-15 09:31 AM
    It's a good thing then that the next Android version will introduce granular permission settings.
    Yes, but that still depends on apps to be ported across to use it. I rather prefer Cyanogenmod which provides app permission control as far as I'm aware.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 03:58 AM
    Yes, but that still depends on apps to be ported across to use it. I rather prefer Cyanogenmod which provides app permission control as far as I'm aware.

Posted via CB10
    not actually ported, but just be re-compiled against the latest SDK. No actual changes need to be made.
    08-21-15 04:00 AM
    @Passporter

That's incorrect. The Silent Suite is cross platform and in no way relies on Blackphone to Blackphone for its cryptographic service on voice, file transfer and messaging.

Yes, Blackphone one wasn't a performance powerhouse: it's buyers bought a toolset, not a media / app hub / game hub.

Aside from the cryptography with voice and messaging and plugging vulnerabilities faster than any other Android vendor, users can also partition their devices into work, play and Silent Space, not be followed by google, search discreetly and even protect the wireless and bluetooth.

How many consumer BlackBerry users have any of these things out of the box? Precisely zero.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 05:24 AM
    not actually ported, but just be re-compiled against the latest SDK. No actual changes need to be made.
    I really doubt it is *that* simple. As per my reading, app developers need to specifically support it and we need to see how well that goes. It is a welcome move and promises to solve one of my primary gripes with Android (assuming app developers do embrace it). That's one less reason to choose BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 07:10 AM
    IF BlackBerry comes out with a version of Android and they want Enterprises to adopt it, it better not be able to be rooted. If it is able to be rooted, then it will fail and not get the security certifications to replace BlackBerry 10.
    I don't think they want it to replace BB10, but to create another option for consumers and generate interest and stir public discussion and sales. This I think is purely a consumer stunt to create sales and cash. I would do the exact same thing and think it's a great idea. BB10 isn't going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 12:34 AM
    @Passporter

That's incorrect. The Silent Suite is cross platform and in no way relies on Blackphone to Blackphone for its cryptographic service on voice, file transfer and messaging.

Yes, Blackphone one wasn't a performance powerhouse: it's buyers bought a toolset, not a media / app hub / game hub.

Aside from the cryptography with voice and messaging and plugging vulnerabilities faster than any other Android vendor, users can also partition their devices into work, play and Silent Space, not be followed by google, search discreetly and even protect the wireless and bluetooth.

How many consumer BlackBerry users have any of these things out of the box? Precisely zero.

Posted via CB10
    Funny you must be getting your information from a totally different internet than me.
    I believe I checked several sources that stated the facts I layed out.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 12:36 AM
52 123