Hi Folks!
    I have been following some posts on the internet where the rumor mills are hot with the news that the next BB10 update may include Google Play Services? Is it true? Does anyone have an insider news of this?
    08-12-16 11:21 PM
    No, it's not coming with 10.3.3. So anyone you know who's eagerly waiting for 10.3.3 hoping for the same and more 'groundbreaking' features, let them know.
    08-12-16 11:46 PM
    Well, it would certainly be a shot in the arm for BlackBerry. I've never understood why BlackBerry and Google can't work something out to provide Google Play and a newer run time.

Posted via CB10
    armedwithjello likes this.
    08-12-16 11:54 PM
    Well, it would certainly be a shot in the arm for BlackBerry. I've never understood why BlackBerry and Google can't work something out to provide Google Play and a newer run time.

Posted via CB10
    Why would the entire membership of the OHA (which includes Google, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc) want to give special, exclusive advantages to BB10?
    08-13-16 12:36 AM
    Hi Folks!
    I have been following some posts on the internet where the rumor mills are hot with the news that the next BB10 update may include Google Play Services? Is it true? Does anyone have an insider news of this?
    Were you on The Onion perchance?
    08-13-16 02:23 AM
    What would make it "special and exclusive"?

Why would the entire membership of the OHA (which includes Google, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc) want to give special, exclusive advantages to BB10?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 02:40 AM
    What would make it "special and exclusive"?

Posted via CB10
    Current OHA guidelines state that Google Play Services and Google Apps can only be used on pure Android devices. They have taken others to court on this and won.
    08-13-16 07:58 AM
    A dual boot OS for the passport, classic and q10 would have people rushing back to their devices and renew brand loyalty among their existing customers.

Wishful thinking, I know.
    08-13-16 08:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even if they did (ignoring all of the legal restrictions), there's simply no benefit for Google. Hence why it will never be done.
    08-13-16 08:57 AM
    Current OHA guidelines state that Google Play Services and Google Apps can only be used on pure Android devices. They have taken others to court on this and won.
    But why then they have never sued BlackBerry since the introduction of OS 10.2.1 which brought Android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 09:14 AM
    But why then they have never sued BlackBerry since the introduction of OS 10.2.1 which brought Android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    Because Google Play Services and Google Apps are not offered on BB10.

Android itself is open source.
    goku_vegeta and BB-JAM215 like this.
    08-13-16 09:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 had the Android runtime since day 1. Not only since 10.2.1.

Android is open source, Google allows OEMs to fork it.
    armedwithjello likes this.
    08-13-16 09:26 AM
    BlackBerry 10 had the Android runtime since day 1. Not only since 10.2.1.

Android is open source, Google allows OEMs to fork it.
    Ok. Did not know that.
    So what is stopping them now from updating only the runtime?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 10:03 AM
    Ok. Did not know that.
    So what is stopping them now from updating only the runtime?

Posted via CB10
    Once a company produces a pure Google-certified device (Priv, DTEK), they are no longer permitted to produce another with a non-certified version of Android (the BB10 Runtime).

Priv STV100-1/AAF960 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    08-13-16 10:09 AM
    Once a company produces a pure Google-certified device (Priv, DTEK), they are no longer permitted to produce another with a non-certified version of Android (the BB10 Runtime).

Priv STV100-1/AAF960 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    There is no "another" in here ... we are just asking for an update..

Posted via My Lovely Z30
    08-13-16 11:00 AM
    There is no "another" in here ... we are just asking for an update..

Posted via My Lovely Z30
    Which they can't do. They are only allowed to keep the existing Runtime on the legacy devices. If they made a new one, it would probably have to be stripped out.
    08-13-16 11:17 AM
    Legally speaking, they could do it as an in app update from BlackBerry World. That way, they aren't in breach of contract, plus they are not including Google Play services. If they separate the update and the OS update there shouldn't be legal problems. Hell, to make it even more difficult to have a case, just give the development to one of your connected companies, and certify it as an update later on. They aren't going to do anything that way, plus it seems they are working with BlackBerry on whole new OS aside from Android.
    08-13-16 11:31 AM
    Legally speaking, they could do it as an in app update from BlackBerry World. That way, they aren't in breach of contract, plus they are not including Google Play services. If they separate the update and the OS update there shouldn't be legal problems. Hell, to make it even more difficult to have a case, just give the development to one of your connected companies, and certify it as an update later on. They aren't going to do anything that way, plus it seems they are working with BlackBerry on whole new OS aside from Android.
    You're suggesting some kind of shell game. The fact is, Google can do whatever they want, and revoke access anytime.

The entire argument is moot. BlackBerry has neither the resources or staff to do anything anyway. There is no reason for them to do this either as there are very few users left.
    08-13-16 11:57 AM
    Troy does a good job of explaining it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-store-953753/
    08-13-16 01:51 PM
    Plus �a change . . .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-13-16 02:14 PM
    Btw, OP, Welcome to CrackBerry!
    08-13-16 02:16 PM
    I'm still trying to fathom a "hot" rumour mill featuring BB10.
    gebco, BB-JAM215, moyah8 and 1 others like this.
    08-13-16 02:22 PM
    This rumor is as true as a massive cache of WMD's still floating around the middle East
    08-13-16 02:47 PM
    I dunno - seems to me they throw a li!tle cash Google's way and G updates the BlackBerry runtime. THat's a win-win and BlackBerry gets user loyalty and sells out their Passport inventory. Read The Art of the Deal ;-)

You're suggesting some kind of shell game. The fact is, Google can do whatever they want, and revoke access anytime.

The entire argument is moot. BlackBerry has neither the resources or staff to do anything anyway. There is no reason for them to do this either as there are very few users left.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 03:29 PM
    I dunno - seems to me they throw a li!tle cash Google's way and G updates the BlackBerry runtime. THat's a win-win and BlackBerry gets user loyalty and sells out their Passport inventory. Read The Art of the Deal ;-)

Posted via CB10
    The art of deal making requires you to have something the other party wants. BlackBerry has nothing, and they certainly don't have enough cash to bend the will of the entire OHA membership.
    08-13-16 03:38 PM
88 123 ...