So I've discovered that approximately 90% of the apps I have on my phone are Android. I even use the Android version of apps available on BB, like Skype and DocToGo. I'm wondering if there's any way BB could get a deal done with Google to get the Play Store on BB platforms as a native app with Google Play Services.

It seems as if Google would be willing to consider this given their friendly relationships with competitors, their support on platforms like iOS and Roku, and the knowledge that they could make a lot of money off Play Store purchases from BB customers. Perhaps if BB offered up a team dedicated to continuously offering support for Google's services.

Could this work theoretically?
    03-12-15 06:43 PM
    So I've discovered that approximately 90% of the apps I have on my phone are Android. I even use the Android version of apps available on BB, like Skype and DocToGo. I'm wondering if there's any way BB could get a deal done with Google to get the Play Store on BB platforms as a native app with Google Play Services.

It seems as if Google would be willing to consider this given their friendly relationships with competitors, their support on platforms like iOS and Roku, and the knowledge that they could make a lot of money off Play Store purchases from BB customers. Perhaps if BB offered up a team dedicated to continuously offering support for Google's services.

Theoretically, almost anything is possible. Just needs to make business sense. Someone needs to get on Eric Schmidt to make it happen.
    dvarnai likes this.
    03-12-15 09:11 PM
    Google Play Store is available for Blackberry devices. Check my thread in the forum. Link is in my signature.
    toobs623 likes this.
    03-13-15 07:28 AM
    Doubtful.
    03-13-15 07:53 AM
    I have it, Cobalt. It works great and I wouldn't own a BB without it. But I'm talking about having a fully-supported, native Google Play app pre-installed. More importantly, one with Google Play Services functioning. More and more Android apps are requiring GPServices to work properly and this is going to cause most Android apps to not function on a BB device in the near future. What is BB going to do? Rely on their own apps?

I just updated the T-Mobile My Account app and it no longer works thanks to not having GPServices support. Same with Hulu, WWENetwork, Hangouts, Google Drive, Google Now, Amazon Music and many others.

I downloaded your Google Play Services patch and it didn't really solve any problems. It actually created problems. I was constantly (10+ every hour) getting an "unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" error message. I am only able to sign in to Google Maps when the GPServices patch is not installed. It doesn't fix the issue with Hangouts or Google Now or WWE.
    03-13-15 03:55 PM
    Google Play Store is available for Blackberry devices. Check my thread in the forum. Link is in my signature.
    What a weird definition of available.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-13-15 04:03 PM
    What a weird definition of available.
    Truly not native and for sure not official. But does it really make any difference?
    BSar and TrueKulcha like this.
    03-13-15 04:13 PM
    Google doesn't make money from app downloads. They make money by selling your data. If BlackBerry wants to get GPS, they have to give up our data. Then they have no advantage over the competition.

So, no...

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:26 PM

That would be not correct. Both BB and MS have themselves, or thru entity they are a part have sued Google and its partners for patents so no Google isn't looking to do any favors. Plus the number of BB10 users who would sign up for Play doesn't even equal a days worth of new activations for Google.

The only reason Google apps are on IOS is because of the 700 million Iphones in the world.
    03-13-15 04:50 PM
    Google is friendly with its competitors in the sense that they are willing to make things like Movies and other apps available on Roku (as opposed to Apple, who will never make iTunes available on Android), despite competing with them. They make most of their apps available on iPhone, despite being a competitor as well. They have sued Apple, so its not as if Microsoft and BB are the only ones.

Unfortunately, you are correct about this:

Plus the number of BB10 users who would sign up for Play doesn't even equal a days worth of new activations for Google.
    03-14-15 01:05 PM
    If BlackBerry wants to get GPS, they have to give up our data. Then they have no advantage over the competition.

So, no...
    Posted via CB10
    Eventually, most Android apps will require GPS which means BB customers will not longer be able to download Android apps. That will kill the company. That "advantage over the competition" won't matter if they're out of business (which isn't much of an advantage—it wasn't why most individuals bought BBs when their US market share was at its peak, and more businesses seem content with Android).
    03-14-15 01:14 PM
    Truly not native and for sure not official. But does it really make any difference?
    Cobalt, while I really really appreciate your work, I can tell you do a lot of work on your own. But if your efforts were supported by BlackBerry/Google where they have people fully dedicated to what you are doing on your own... it would make a difference.

Again, I absolutely love your work and I really really appreciate what you have done, but yes, it would make a difference.

I honestly wouldn't want BlackBerry and Google to mix like that though... the ramifications would probably be dire for BlackBerry.

Furthermore, sometimes we can't have the best of both worlds OP. Hard reality of life. If we really want a native Play Store, we should get Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bounce007; 03-14-15 at 01:34 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-14-15 01:14 PM
    Eventually, most Android apps will require GPS which means BB customers will not longer be able to download Android apps. That will kill the company. That "advantage over the competition" won't matter if they're out of business (which isn't much of an advantageit wasn't why most individuals bought BBs when their US market share was at its peak, and more businesses seem content with Android).
    While I somewhat agree, I don't think any enterprise apps will ever tie themselves into GPS. And those are the one's that BlackBerry currently worries about.

BlackBerry is betting on the rising importance of secure, non-invasive data and so far they have seen a lot of support from some big names, today including IBM.

There will always be an audience for non-GPS apps, whether that be on a separate platform (BB10, Tizen, etc) or just through selective apps on Android. Or in the case of the ultimate BlackBerry goal, on a multi-OS device.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 06:03 PM
    All this Google Play Services sounds like I cannot have it so I am not happy... Said it when everyone wanted Instagram, Netflix, viber etc... when they could not get them all we heard was grumbling.... when they showed up.. we moved onto Google Play Services.... People seem to forget they bought BB not Android.. had BB advertised it's devices supported Google PLay which is why we have the Amazon store... even with that... Users want more... wonder what people will complain about next if Google Play Services were available... Oh I know... why does BB not run IOS apps.. there are lot of apps on IOS and I cannot have them... waaaaaa!!!
    03-14-15 06:19 PM
    So I've discovered that approximately 90% of the apps I have on my phone are Android. I even use the Android version of apps available on BB, like Skype and DocToGo.
    Why not just get an Android phone and be done with it? I ran two Android apps on my Z10...one app flat out wasn't available for BB, the other had all the features and wasn't missing any like the BB one was. If I had 90% of apps for a different device I'd just switch. But then again, it's always nice to have the options to have Android apps on BB.
    03-14-15 06:29 PM
    So I've discovered that approximately 90% of the apps I have on my phone are Android.
    Just switch to Android device. BlackBerry offers limited compatibility only.
    03-14-15 07:14 PM
    I'm back to using my iPhone for software that requires Google Play Services on the Q10. So now I'm carrying two phones: the Q10 for email, phone calls, texts, and other things that require cell service, and the iPhone for the invasive species reporting app and the transit system app, both of which require Google maps, and thus GPS on the Q10. No such issues on the iPhone, but no cell service on that, as I'm not that rich.
    I'm about ready to toss them both (Apple and Blackberry) and go back to a typewriter and postage stamps. Life is certainly easier that way.
    gebco and FF22 like this.
    03-14-15 07:31 PM
    Cobalt, while I really really appreciate your work, I can tell you do a lot of work on your own. But if your efforts were supported by BlackBerry/Google where they have people fully dedicated to what you are doing on your own... it would make a difference.

Again, I absolutely love your work and I really really appreciate what you have done, but yes, it would make a difference.

I honestly wouldn't want BlackBerry and Google to mix like that though... the ramifications would probably be dire for BlackBerry.

Furthermore, sometimes we can't have the best of both worlds OP. Hard reality of life. If we really want a native Play Store, we should get Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    Of course you are right. Unfortunately there are so much reasons why Google and BlackBerry won't work together.
    03-18-15 07:59 AM