I have no idea if the rumor is true, but I want to point out that Google Play would be good for every one.

Here is a little history lesson. Back in about 2005 Apple announced that they would be switching to Intel and of course this allowed programs like Parallels Desktop to run windows right on your mac. It allowed people thay really wanted a Mac to get one, even if there was a program or two on Windows that they really needed.

Of course what happened is that developers stopped making Mac apps. Today nothing is written for the Mac paltform because you can just run the windows version....or not.

Of course just the opposite is true. Today there are few apps that the average person would need on a personal laptop or desktop that is not on Mac OS X or at least a good or even better equivalent.

Of course plently of enterprise programs are still windows only but even that is less common.

The fact is, google play will help the platform grow and increase the user base for native apps.
    Consumers will always prefer native apps and demand will only increase for nativs BB10 apps.

I for a long time had to run windows om my mac for one thing for work. Now I can run that on my Mac and I don't even have a VM on my Mac anymore.

The samr could happen to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 04:23 PM
    I'm less convinced that this would be a good thing. Opening up Google Play would take away a lot of incentive from developers to create native BB10 apps. Even so, I can live with it if that's what it's coming to.

The big story with this would be the level of involvement from Google itself, since they certify all devices that run Google Play.
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    11-10-13 04:31 PM
    I'm less convinced that this would be a good thing. Opening up Google Play would take away a lot of incentive from developers to create native BB10 apps. Even so, I can live with it if that's what it's coming to.

The big story with this would be the level of involvement from Google itself, since they certify all devices that run Google Play.
    That's the only downside. Devs won't feel the need to develop native apps. But most of them never cared for BB platform in the first place. So there are way more pros than cons. If google play does come to BB devices, Blackberry will have a chance at surviving.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    11-10-13 04:34 PM
    Exactly - to get this certification BlackBerry may needs to join the Open Handset Alliance and support it with some patents and their knowledge. Otherwise other OHA members may won't allow the deal!

Posted via CB10
    NickMcBride likes this.
    11-10-13 04:38 PM
    Quite frankly I just want apps! Am sick of having none! I have to keep this phone for 2 years with crap apps! So I don't care if the Android apps IOS apps. Longs I have some.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 04:45 PM
    Exactly - to get this certification BlackBerry may needs to join the Open Handset Alliance and support it with some patents and their knowledge. Otherwise other OHA members may won't allow the deal!

Posted via CB10
    They don't need to join the OHA, because TAT is part of it... with that said they are already technically in...only cause they own TAT...

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    11-10-13 04:50 PM
    11-10-13 04:52 PM
    11-10-13 04:54 PM
    TAT is a member of OHA. Will that help?

Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance ** click on "commercialization companies" link
    11-10-13 08:07 PM
    I've posted this 3 hrs ago...

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-10-13 08:28 PM
    Ok, back on topic here...therr is another thread about when/if play store is coming.

The fact is, the Play Store makes BB10 a more viable platform. A more viable platform means more people will bd comfortable buying it. More people will buy which will increase the incentive for native apps.

Again, we have a case of this situation in the past. People complained that the ability to run windows apps on a mac would mean devs would not write for the platform but the opposite has happened.

No one is going to run an Andriod app when a native version is available. If BB10 can get to 15 million active users, then developers will have a good base to develope for, while specialty apps will still be available as Andriod versions for thos that need them.

Look, any dev that would not write native wouldn't anyway with the current state of app porting.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:05 PM
    It's good but won't work.

Remember everyone, the Android RT on BlackBerry is not Android! They're different!
    11-10-13 11:01 PM
    Chanlion, please discuss on another thread. This thread is simply about if it would be good for the platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:20 AM
    If android apps are good enough for millions upon millions upon millions of users. Why would they not be good enough for BlackBerry users? Never understood the people that complain about ported apps. If an app works, that's fine by me, I will get used to that apps interface

CB10'n it via da Z
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-11-13 06:25 AM
    Google Play on BB10, good for all.-img_00004140.png
    Google Play on BB10, good for all.-img_00004139.png

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:44 AM
    My Z30 and I love this phone to no end!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:46 AM
    By the way it comes or not, what I want to know is, as of we also have Dalvik Runtime for Android and Google is having ART already but thinking to replace Dalvik.

So, will our runtime also then have ART and run way smoother and fast on BB10?

Though I am excited to see Google play and apps on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via my last BlackBerry Device- Loyalty expects loyalty.
    11-11-13 06:50 AM

Developers will find it more lucrative and less costly to write for 1 platform. More lucrative as theres no demand for native apps with bb10 dwindling to almost zero. With android dual booting or running virtually on bb10, there's every chance sales will take off. Core native apps will be handled by blackberry themselves.
    11-11-13 06:52 AM