Kris- You know the dev personally?

Only asking because now that I'm going to buy the app if I don't like it I figure I can get to him by way of you.

No really I'll try it. Not much money when you think about it.

I know the Google is very difficult to get free from. We need a stronger BlackBerry and WP as well.

Posted via CB10
    Not personally, but considering I've probably sold a good 5 or 6 copies if not more of their app from my posting in this thread alone, im sure im in good terms :P
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-08-13 07:03 PM
    1. If something is given to me or I buy it then I will use it.
    A free app is not a tangible commodity like a free hat. What is given to you is a limited right to use the app in certain ways, without paying for it. If somebody gives you a free book (that's under copyright), you still don't have the right to give photocopies of it to your friends, even though it's "yours" and you didn't have to pay for it.

As I said, I have a couple of sideloads that I use after notifying the owners that I'm doing so. That's more a sop to my conscience; it doesn't make what I'm doing legal, because their failure to tell me to stop doesn't constitute permission.

In the case of Audible, the fact that I can sideload it keeps me with BB10. When I bought my Z10 I knew it wasn't available, and decided I could put up with not having it. As time has passed, that resolve has weakened. That is, I'm less and less convinced that I want to have to do without things that I enjoy in a mobile phone just for the pleasure of using BB10. I can't pretend that this is a legal justification for sideloading it, however. So by alerting Audible to what I'm doing (and actually getting a response!), I feel that what I'm doing at least not unethical, even if it's still a violation of copyright law.

Circling back to Google Maps and the original topic, I know that there must be plenty of people who thought they could do without Google Maps but months later find their resolve weakening. So I can understand the temptation to sideload. The difference is, in this case there's actually an available app of good quality that delivers everything but spoken turn-by-turn. Not only that, but the app invokes BB Maps for the turn-by-turn navigation, so the two of them are a complete solution--in the countries where BB Maps works, at least. BB Maps turn-by-turn navigation is, in my view, more than adequate. The most notable weaknesses of BB Maps were (and are) non-driving directions and POI search. The paid app BeMaps remedies these weaknesses nicely, so the justification for sideloading Google Maps is much weaker.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 08-08-13 at 07:40 PM.
    pvhunt and Kris Simundson like this.
    08-08-13 07:25 PM
    Not personally, but considering I've probably sold a good 5 or 6 copies if not more of their app from my posting in this thread alone, im sure im in good terms :P
    pfluger from BellShare is pretty active on here with regards to their BeBuzz10 app. Same group did BeMaps Pro 10. Not sure if he's involved in that app.

http://forums.crackberry.com/members/pfluger-192569/
    08-08-13 07:28 PM
    Where is my thread compass? I'm off course. Can someone change this thread title to "IP Law Debate - blackberry side loading" or else take it outside?

Posted via CB10
    djenkins6, moody and 1magine like this.
    08-08-13 07:38 PM
    A free app is not a tangible commodity like a free hat. What is given to you is a limited right to use the app in certain ways, without paying for it. If somebody gives you a free book (that's under copyright), you still don't have the right to give photocopies of it to your friends, even though it's "yours" and you didn't have to pay for it.

As I said, I have a couple of sideloads that I use after notifying the owners that I'm doing so. That's more a sop to my conscience; it doesn't make what I'm doing legal, because their failure to tell me to stop doesn't constitute permission.

In the case of Audible, the fact that I can sideload it keeps me with BB10. When I bought my Z10 I knew it wasn't available, and decided I could put up with not having it. As time has passed, that resolve has weakened. That is, I'm less and less convinced that I want to have to do without things that I enjoy in a mobile phone just for the pleasure of using BB10. I can't pretend that this is a legal justification for sideloading it, however. So by alerting Audible to what I'm doing (and actually getting a response!), I feel that what I'm doing at least not unethical, even if it's still a violation of copyright law.

Circling back to Google Maps and the original topic, I know that there must be plenty of people who thought they could do without Google Maps but months later find their resolve weakening. So I can understand the temptation to sideload. The difference is, in this case there's actually an available app of good quality that delivers everything but spoken turn-by-turn. Not only that, but the app invokes BB Maps for the turn-by-turn navigation, so the two of them are a complete solution--in the countries where BB Maps works, at least. BB Maps turn-by-turn navigation is, in my view, more than adequate. The most notable weaknesses of BB Maps were (and are) non-driving directions and POI search. The paid app BeMaps remedies these weaknesses nicely, so the justification for sideloading Google Maps is much weaker.
    I photo copy pages of books. If you ever spend anytime in Costa Rica you may notice they don't really have public libraries. Everyone makes copies of books even at the University level the students photo copy the text books because they can't take the books out of room.

On to my newly paid for be maps pro app. I like having the satellite view and the text of the directions.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 07:56 PM
    I photo copy pages of books. If you ever spend anytime in Costa Rica you may notice they don't really have public libraries. Everyone makes copies of books even at the University level the students photo copy the text books because they can't take the books out of room.

On to my newly paid for be maps pro app. I like having the satellite view and the text of the directions.

Posted via CB10
    The best part is the last update, when you search for something, you can swipe on the bottom bar with details left or right to move to the next found location

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 07:59 PM
    Tangible commodity. Not sure I followed that line of thinking.

I like to think of computer code as a work of art. I buy art and display it the way I want. I don't care if the artist that made it thinks I should hang it facing south I like my art facing north. Once I buy it it is mine.

Would be nice to have truck routes maybe as a layer?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 08:06 PM
    Tangible commodity. Not sure I followed that line of thinking.

I like to think of computer code as a work of art. I buy art and display it the way I want. I don't care if the artist that made it thinks I should hang it facing south I like my art facing north. Once I buy it it is mine.

Would be nice to have truck routes maybe as a layer?

Posted via CB10
    Google would have to implement truck routes themselves

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 08:09 PM
    Evil Google strikes again.

So I had one issue with Be maps pro on my 30 mile drive.

When drive in a 3 mile zone of hills and valleys I lost cell coverage and the satellite coverage. BlackBerry maps picked up when I drove back into the open but Be Maps Pro did not. I had to touch all the options a bunch of times I almost closed the app.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 08:33 PM
    Bells and whistles typically refer to added features and tools. Compare a BMW and all it's on board specs and electronic driver assists with limited slip differential, launch control, crash avoidance sensors etc, to say a Toyota Corolla. Bottom line is both cars will provide the same fundamental purpose...to get u where u need to go. But one offers a broader scope of options than the other...hoping to incite a better user experience.

If those added features are absolutely essential to the user...sure, call them what you like. But for others that can navigate without those added features...I call them bells and whistles. Personally, I don't need that level of specificity. But to each his own.
    08-08-13 09:09 PM

If those added features are absolutely essential to the user...sure, call them what you like. But for others that can navigate without those added features...I call them bells and whistles. Personally, I don't need that level of specificity. But to each his own.
    You're in a foreign city and you don't want to rent a car. Suddenly those added features become essential for navigation.
    08-08-13 09:29 PM
    That's why I bought it. Thank you for the suggestion.
    08-08-13 10:07 PM
    The best part is the last update, when you search for something, you can swipe on the bottom bar with details left or right to move to the next found location

Posted via CB10
    Now that is very cool. I love bells and whistles! I like that a bunch of coffee shops were there. Now I feel the price is more in line with what the app can do. I'm happy.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:11 PM
    That's why I bought it. Thank you for the suggestion.
    When the app first popped up on the app world, I was skeptical at first. But I eventually gave in because BeWeather and BeBuzz are both amazing apps as well. I wouldn't put my name behind a app if I knew it wasn't worth the money.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:49 PM
    When the app first popped up on the app world, I was skeptical at first. But I eventually gave in because BeWeather and BeBuzz are both amazing apps as well. I wouldn't put my name behind a app if I knew it wasn't worth the money.

Posted via CB10
    I would LOVE BeBuzz except for one thing... it has to stay open. I have ColorID on by 9810 and it's my fav app of all - but again it has to be open to run on Q10.

Does BeWeather have to be open to see current temp? I read the page but didn't see it indicate one way or another.

Any idea if/when this, IMO nuisance, might be remedied?

Posted using my white Q10 via the very addicting CB 10 app!
    08-09-13 06:40 AM
    I would LOVE BeBuzz except for one thing... it has to stay open. I have ColorID on by 9810 and it's my fav app of all - but again it has to be open to run on Q10.

Does BeWeather have to be open to see current temp? I read the page but didn't see it indicate one way or another.

Any idea if/when this, IMO nuisance, might be remedied?

Posted using my white Q10 via the very addicting CB 10 app!
    Everything has to be open right now.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:55 AM
    I'll support a local BlackBerry Dev. I bought BeMaps10.

Posted via CB10
    I bought this app as well. It is pretty good. I t works well with bbb10 navigation.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-13 07:13 AM
    You're in a foreign city and you don't want to rent a car. Suddenly those added features become essential for navigation.
    Yep. If that's your experience, essential it is. I'm in a foreign city, I always have a car and road maps are sufficient for me. Like is said everyone is different.
    08-09-13 08:00 AM
    I always get lost in Europe and Belgium has that pesky Flemish language I can't get seem to ever understand. Good thing lots of those nice people there speak English.

Anyone using the program in Belgium? I'm interested in knowing how it works.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:20 AM
    So, clicking the link below gets you an APK file?

http://69.162.109.42/Apk2Bar/bar/com....700022113.bar

This is blowing my mind... I must find out what is happening...
    Correct!
    08-09-13 03:26 PM
    Disclaimer: This is no way an insult towards BlackBerry Maps, it's more about the 4.2.2 runtime.

Google Maps 7.0.2 (July 2013) looks beautiful and is buttery smooth on 2.0.1047

You can find it on this site, no need for debug tokens, etc.: APK to BAR Converter :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps

You can do a search for "maps" there, it will bring up a couple of 7.0.2 results, here is the one that I am using: http://69.162.109.42/Apk2Bar/bar/com....700022113.bar

Note:
    -you need to know how to sideload
    -you won't be able to sign in, Google uses some kind of android account system on its devices instead of just asking for username and password.
    -beautiful and buttery smooth != no bugs

Some pics for your enjoyment:
    Attachment 190102

Attachment 190105

Attachment 190106

Attachment 190107

Attachment 190108

Attachment 190109

Attachment 190114

Attachment 190115

Attachment 190116

Attachment 190117

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    OK-to the poster that pointed out that I needed to "get over it" (IE) and load the bar file with Chrome or FF, I did and it did and it was my bad for not thinking of that before. So rude or not--thank you! LOL

RE: this bar file and download. I downloaded a file from Good E Reader a couple of weeks ago, that I believe is entitled Maps _6.14.4 and it is Google Maps but on the icon it says "Navigation-beta". I'm running .1047 with the 810 runtime and I can tell you that Navigation-Beta seems to me to be way better than this newest download.
    First I did the download and installed the bar file for GoogleMaps 7.02, in addition to the "nav" app I have on it already. It loaded over it and wasn't as user friendly as the Nav app. In addition, it took over the Nav app and wouldn't allow the Nav app to run like before, and it was the same as the 7.02 app. Once compared, I decided to uninstall the new application (7.02) and leave the Navigation Beta app on. Once 7.02 was deleted the app came back up after reinitiallizing.
    So my 2 cents worth is that both are good but the beta version seems more user friendly and has all the same features. Agree with Howarmat that the 4.2.2 support is a lot better and faster when running the app.
    AmoreEnzo likes this.
    08-09-13 04:11 PM
    Correct!
    What browser are you using?

#isthisreallife
    08-09-13 04:23 PM
    What browser are you using?

#isthisreallife
    Normally I use IE for most everyday use in my office, etc. I also have FireFox which basically sucks but I need it for a work program; and I use Chrome for most downloads, etc. I was incorrectly using IE to download this Google Maps file (as were others) but one of the posters "woke me up" and I realized I was trying to download it with IE. I then downloaded it with Chrome-all was well-installed bar file on my Q10 and found out in my opinion, that it wasn't as good as the beta model I have on my Q now, so I deleted it, and all is well once again. Sometimes its best not to fix what isn't broken.
    08-09-13 04:42 PM
    Normally I use IE for most everyday use in my office, etc. I also have FireFox which basically sucks but I need it for a work program; and I use Chrome for most downloads, etc. I was incorrectly using IE to download this Google Maps file (as were others) but one of the posters "woke me up" and I realized I was trying to download it with IE. I then downloaded it with Chrome-all was well-installed bar file on my Q10 and found out in my opinion, that it wasn't as good as the beta model I have on my Q now, so I deleted it, and all is well once again. Sometimes its best not to fix what isn't broken.
    Ah. I see now. You ended up with a .zip file, and in that was the .apk. IE interprets the bar file and offers up a .zip extension. Odd. I think all you would have had to do was rename the extension of the file to .bar and you'd be good to go. Probably a MIME-TYPE mix-up with IE.
    08-09-13 07:40 PM
    Ah. I see now. You ended up with a .zip file, and in that was the .apk. IE interprets the bar file and offers up a .zip extension. Odd. I think all you would have had to do was rename the extension of the file to .bar and you'd be good to go. Probably a MIME-TYPE mix-up with IE.
    What's honestly odd is that most of the 25+ bar files that I've sideloaded have been done with IE not Chrome or FF, and they work perfectly. I don't mean little apps, I mean Skype, Instagram (though on a Q you might as well not have it screen size-wise), Flipboard, Pulse, Bloomberg, pretty much all of them. This was the only file that this happened on, but it was a good lesson as now if it happens again, I know what to do. May try some of the personal virtual assisant programs out there like "Speaktoit"-called Jenny I think. I tried to make it work but it kept freezing when I tried to click on the mic. Heard it was close to Siri and something like that would be really useful.
    08-09-13 08:08 PM
265 ... 678910 ...