Call it fantasy if you want but......

Google $5B EU fine, or 2-$4B,relaunch modest BB10 3rd platform in EU? Which is money
    better spent?

Which works out better for Google? Invest (2-4B Euros), as goodwill in the relaunch of bb10/BlackBerry World/Android Appstore on 64bit phone with updated Google Android option in the sandbox, and leaving the updated bb10 stock browser to default to Bing or whatever, to satisfy the EU and perhaps win an appeal of the fine (by making the competition argument moot), or just appeal the fine and lose a cool $5B(Euros)?

With a user selectable/restrictable GooglePlay/Google search in the sandbox, they Google still stand to gain some revenue from bb10 devices, recouping some of their goodwill investment. Giving an option to satisfy the privacy concerned consumer and not concerned alike, whilst giving up default search domination. This would not be precedent setting, Microsoft burned some of their cash to ressurect the imminently bankrupt Apple all those years ago, in order to evade and satisfy the monopoly police of the day (US competition bureau, avoiding deeper anti-trust action).

It would keep the money out of government hands, and put it back into the free-market instead where it should belong. I'm thinking that ought to be enough to relaunch BB10, for the Eurozone at least, keeping a 3rd smartphone platform option open.

Are those numbers reaonable? Assuming the BB10-64 devices get sold once in the market?

I think Google ought to propose this to both BlackBerry and the EU, it may solve this and future Google OHA Cartel competition woes in the smartphone arena. Also Google might be able to recoup the $20/$40 per device sold, outside of advert revenue.

Maybe John Chen can help save Larry Page's face on this matter, and draw attention away from the apparant disordered behaviour of the creator of Android (aside: funny how the os's disorder might be reflective of it's creator (lol)). Give both these guys each other's BBM handles so they can start the conversation.

EU google fine details:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...gside-android-
    possible-1158015/

Hurry up Google, make the Bold move, the taxers are coming, the taxers are coming:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-t...s-tax-in-2020/
    11-03-18 09:09 PM
    No one is stupid enough to touch bb10
    rthonpm, john_v and johnb_xp like this.
    11-03-18 09:41 PM
    Lol
    johnb_xp likes this.
    11-03-18 09:43 PM
    No one is stupid enough to touch bb10
    I touch bb10 every day. I guess that I am stupid enough.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-03-18 11:01 PM
    Call it fantasy if you want but......

Google $5B EU fine, or 2-$4B,relaunch modest BB10 3rd platform in EU? Which is money
    better spent?

Which works out better for Google? Invest (2-4B Euros), as goodwill in the relaunch of bb10/BlackBerry World/Android Appstore on 64bit phone with updated Google Android option in the sandbox, and leaving the updated bb10 stock browser to default to Bing or whatever, to satisfy the EU and perhaps win an appeal of the fine (by making the competition argument moot), or just appeal the fine and lose a cool $5B(Euros)?

With a user selectable/restrictable GooglePlay/Google search in the sandbox, they Google still stand to gain some revenue from bb10 devices, recouping some of their goodwill investment. Giving an option to satisfy the privacy concerned consumer and not concerned alike, whilst giving up default search domination. This would not be precedent setting, Microsoft burned some of their cash to ressurect the imminently bankrupt Apple all those years ago, in order to evade and satisfy the monopoly police of the day (US competition bureau, avoiding deeper anti-trust action).

It would keep the money out of government hands, and put it back into the free-market instead where it should belong. I'm thinking that ought to be enough to relaunch BB10, for the Eurozone at least, keeping a 3rd smartphone platform option open.

Are those numbers reaonable? Assuming the BB10-64 devices get sold once in the market?

I think Google ought to propose this to both BlackBerry and the EU, it may solve this and future Google OHA Cartel competition woes in the smartphone arena. Also Google might be able to recoup the $20/$40 per device sold, outside of advert revenue.

Maybe John Chen can help save Larry Page's face on this matter, and draw attention away from the apparant disordered behaviour of the creator of Android (aside: funny how the os's disorder might be reflective of it's creator (lol)). Give both these guys each other's BBM handles so they can start the conversation.

EU google fine details:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...gside-android-
    possible-1158015/

Hurry up Google, make the Bold move, the taxers are coming, the taxers are coming:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-t...s-tax-in-2020/
    Sounds like you see an opportunity. You should form a company and license BB10 from BlackBerry Limited.

BTW Google can pay a 5 Billion dollar fine and not even miss it. Google like many US companies has Billions stashed overseas.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 11-03-18 at 11:45 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-03-18 11:34 PM
    Sounds like you see an opportunity. You should form a company and license BB10 from BlackBerry Limited.

BTW Google can pay a 5 Billion dollar fine and not even miss it. Google like many US companies has Billions stashed overseas.
    Great! even more cash, then they can throw even more into the pile to kickstart bb10 again, and make it an even more serious contender - different weight class all the same. Get out the booster cables!

...oh and go down the road and pick up John Chen thumbing a ride back into town after abandoning his vehicle, cause it was a little short on the electric juice.
    11-03-18 11:59 PM
    Even if Google backed a semi trailer into BB's loading dock and started unloading pallets of cash, BB's board of directors would have zero interest in spending a penny of it on BB10. They'd much rather spend it on their self-driving car system, or on BB Radar, or just about anything else.
    AmritD and rthonpm like this.
    11-04-18 12:58 AM
    Great! even more cash, then they can throw even more into the pile to kickstart bb10 again, and make it an even more serious contender - different weight class all the same. Get out the booster cables!

...oh and go down the road and pick up John Chen thumbing a ride back into town after abandoning his vehicle, cause it was a little short on the electric juice.
    Google already has a plan to move forward. They will charge for Google apps. I would also not be surprised to see them move forward with just a Google paid for version of Android. Google has several great options. None of them have anything to do with BB10.

If you want BB10 to have a future then make it happen, don't expect Google or either BlackBerry to invest a dime in BB10.

You keep posting about these great BB10 opportunities, then why wait and expect some one else to invest in BB10. If you really believe there is a future business opportunity go for it.
    glwerry likes this.
    11-04-18 01:34 AM
    You keep posting about these great BB10 opportunities, then why wait and expect some one else to invest in BB10. If you really believe there is a future business opportunity go for it.
    Those who can't do, teach. 😉
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-04-18 01:49 AM
    Those who can't do, teach.
    Or fantasize.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-04-18 02:29 AM
    Those who can't do, teach. ������
    Fine Guard dogs, lets just all beat down on Stephen Hawkings cause he can't tie his own shoelaces. Teachers spark the doers to go and do.
    11-04-18 11:19 AM
    Those who can't do, teach. 😉
    Fine Guard dogs, lets just all beat down on Stephen Hawkings cause he can't tie his own shoelaces. Teachers spark the doers to go and do.
    11-04-18 11:19 AM
    Even if Google backed a semi trailer into BB's loading dock and started unloading pallets of cash, BB's board of directors would have zero interest in spending a penny of it on BB10. They'd much rather spend it on their self-driving car system, or on BB Radar, or just about anything else.
    So yes let them concentrate on QNX RTOS where security of systems is paramount, automotive systems, medical devices, industrial, power infastructure.....and spin off a sub-500million annual revenue (tax free according to British tax proposals) partially owned subsidiary for QNX RTOS BB10 consumer devices initially for Europe. Heck with Brexit they could be a little Cheeky and call it BlackBerry Consumer.....BBC for short. (lol).
    There is no question that Google bought the Prime Oceanfront beachhouse. For the regulatory headwinds about to blow the roof off of Google, Google needs to buy hurricane insurance by having (and even seeding) more competition in the Smartphone operating system, storefront because of the tie-in with its advertising revenue. BB is a natural, it's an already built car sitting on the dealer lot, needs a few upgrades (ensuring the fashionable apps work well) and its ready to go, I'm sure they'd take crackberry and some of its techie hackers along for the ride.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-04-18 at 01:22 PM.
    11-04-18 11:40 AM
    Lest anyone think i'm proposing Google buy BB outright....nope that wouldn't fly...but putting some petrol in bb10's gas tank, now that would! in my theoretical world.
    And BBC, BlackBerry Consumer 2019 by the way, would be focused along the lines of Microsoft...consumer includeing small and medium business classes as well -or individual dept's mgr's etc where security of device data is also still paramount albeit if a little neglected these days in mindshare.
    11-04-18 04:26 PM
    Lest anyone think i'm proposing Google buy BB outright....nope that wouldn't fly...but putting some petrol in bb10's gas tank, now that would! in my theoretical world.
    And BBC, BlackBerry Consumer 2019 by the way, would be focused along the lines of Microsoft...consumer includeing small and medium business classes as well -or individual dept's mgr's etc where security of device data is also still paramount albeit if a little neglected these days in mindshare.
    You keep ignoring the elephant in the room.

$1-2 billion, and 2 years to bring BB10 to currently available hardware.
    11-04-18 05:01 PM
    You keep ignoring the elephant in the room.

$1-2 billion, and 2 years to bring BB10 to currently available hardware.
    The original thread post theoretically gives a source for the 1-2Billion - anti-trust avoidence maybe even a couple Bills more.
    11-04-18 05:52 PM
    The original thread post theoretically gives a source for the 1-2Billion - anti-trust avoidence maybe even a couple Bills more.
    So the EU will pay BlackBerry $1 billion per year, in perpetuity, to licence BB10?
    11-04-18 07:10 PM
    Google already has a plan to move forward. They will charge for Google apps. I would also not be surprised to see them move forward with just a Google paid for version of Android. Google has several great options. None of them have anything to do with BB10.
    This model of google charging would be a move forward, as users could separate themselves from data collection scavengers more easily - possibly. It may also be an indicator to google how many people don't want to pay for their ecosystem.

Android is a mess and would take years to streamline core functionality and app gestures into a unified / intuitive / ergonomic experience.

Where does Fuchsia fit into this future? Will it be used for phones?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-18 08:08 PM
    So the EU will pay BlackBerry $1 billion per year, in perpetuity, to licence BB10?
    LOLl, no, Google seeds it, so that it doesnt reap further whirlwinds of multi nation competition concerns and of demanding a large slice of the pie for tax purposes.
    The OHA cartel allowed for quick standardizations, however the nasty is that one company Google controls it all effectively (the strategy was too good for their own good) (why in free markets generally- cartels bad, competition good), triggering nation-states hungry for tax money being able to justify intervening and imposing large amounts of tax on it. In this scenario its probably more in Google's interest than in John Chen's to resurrect the best alternative to regulatory and tax huntsmen, and that is BB10. Of course BB stands to gain from this, but it also stood and lost the most from the Cartel strategy in the first place....so we'd call it a wash I would guess (though I'd speculate that BB would be a much bigger company today if Google's strategy was prevented in the first place from a competition point of view)

How many telcos are there currently in the US? and do you know why there isn't only one? Same reasons.
    11-04-18 08:22 PM
    LOLl, no, Google seeds it, so that it doesnt reap further whirlwinds of multi nation competition concerns and of demanding a large slice of the pie for tax purposes.
    The OHA cartel allowed for quick standardizations, however the nasty is that one company Google controls it all effectively (the strategy was too good for their own good) (why in free markets generally- cartels bad, competition good), triggering nation-states hungry for tax money being able to justify intervening and imposing large amounts of tax on it. In this scenario its probably more in Google's interest than in John Chan's to ressurect the next best thing to regulatory and tax huntsmen (though some say better thing) than Google Android, and that is BB10. How many telcos are there currently in the US? and do you know why there isn't only one? Same reasons.
    So someone, somewhere, is going to spend billions of dollars resurrecting an OS that nobody wanted the first time around? Ain't gonna happen.

But maybe you can hook me up with your supplier - it's obviously pretty good stuff!
    11-04-18 08:26 PM
    Shazam! (Captain Marvel) Good Retort! .. same stuff i guess the regulators were on way back when AT&T broke water and had Baby Bells. ....clean air, freedom, good living (okay maybe exaggerating a bit on those things) ,the usual.
    11-04-18 09:22 PM
    Well the "bb10 OS nobody wanted" is pure exaggeration....like for example I was looking today at the number of subscribers Google says there are in each of the major cellular providers in the US.
    Adding them up, you come to a number: 432 million (q2 2018 Verizon 156M, AT&T 147M, T-mobil 76M, Sprint 54M, yet the population of the US is only: 327million....that's a difference of 105million. Are you telling me that
    a)the telcos are lying?
    b)Google is wrong.
    c)that BYOD isn't what's really happening, and half of america's adults have a work phone and a personal phone? Meaning the bb10 business model for work targetting enterprise smartphone purchases, actually shouldn't be dead? (cause remember these are subscribers, not someone with an old phone in the drawer
    d) that there are possibly up to 105 million illegals, guest workers etc in the US on US plans? Or do tourists book plans for extended stays in the States as well? 105 Million that's a big discrepency, considering the elderly probably don't keep phones to the end of their lives, and well newborns aren't on speaking terms with their cellphone providers currently?
    or
    E) on any given quarter 1/4 of smartphone users are jumping carriers such that they would be double counted, however one assumes the number at the end of the quarter would be the number provided, not the cumulative number over the quarter...doesn't make sense given a 2 -3 year turnover of phones and probably carriers (maybe). Even this assume every person, everyone is using a smartphone, including newborns.
    Kind of weird, this numbers game.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-04-18 at 11:31 PM.
    11-04-18 11:20 PM
    Well the "bb10 OS nobody wanted" is pure exaggeration....like for example I was looking today at the number of subscribers Google says there are in each of the major cellular providers in the US.
    Adding them up, you come to a number: 432 million (q2 2018 Verizon 156M, AT&T 147M, T-mobil 76M, Sprint 54M, yet the population of the US is only: 327million....that's a difference of 105million. Are you telling me that
    a)the telcos are lying?
    b)Google is wrong.
    c)that BYOD isn't what's really happening, and half of america's adults have a work phone and a personal phone? Meaning the bb10 business model for work targetting enterprise smartphone purchases, actually shouldn't be dead? (cause remember these are subscribers, not someone with an old phone in the drawer
    d) that there are possibly up to 105 million illegals, guest workers etc in the US on US plans? Or do tourists book plans for extended stays in the States as well? 105 Million that's a big discrepency, considering the elderly probably don't keep phones to the end of their lives, and well newborns aren't on speaking terms with their cellphone providers currently?
    or
    E) on any given quarter 1/4 of smartphone users are jumping carriers such that they would be double counted, however one assumes the number at the end of the quarter would be the number provided, not the cumulative number over the quarter...doesn't make sense given a 2 -3 year turnover of phones and probably carriers (maybe). Even this assume every person, everyone is using a smartphone, including newborns.
    Kind of weird, this numbers game.
    I'm not sure what any of this has to do with BB10.

At any rate, BB10's user base maxed out at somewhere between 10 and 12 million.

As a mobile platform, that is essentially no one.

BBOS was about 10x that.
    11-04-18 11:46 PM
    Okay running down the numbers 105 appears to be an estimate elsewhere of M2M devices that are included in the mix. Still 1 phone for every man,woman and child still seems high by 10's of millions maybe even 100m+
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...top-7-carriers
    11-05-18 12:03 AM
    Okay running down the numbers 105 appears to be an estimate elsewhere of M2M devices that are included in the mix. Still 1 phone for every man,woman and child still seems high by 10's of millions maybe even 100m+
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...top-7-carriers
    How many here have half a dozen phones?

How many people carry both a personal phone and a work phone?

How does this have anything to do with bringing back BB10? Doesn't change that BB10 doesn't do what people wanted a smartphone platform to do. Doesn't change that it's years behind at this point with no one left to work on it. Doesn't change the risk associated with even considering bringing it back.
    11-05-18 07:22 AM
43 12