One thing I haven't figured on on my Z10... how do I actually trash one email, but simply archive another?

On my 9790, there was an "archive" option, and deleting sent an email to trash. On my PlayBook, "delete" archives the email and moving the email to the Trash folder will trash it.

On the Z10, I tried the same trick as the PlayBook, but I get an error message saying I can't move an email to the trash folder.

All I can find is suggestions on configuring Gmail's IMAP settings as to whether an IMAP delete will archive or trash -- but that's a global option, not workable on a per email basis. I could change it to move the email to trash, but then how do I archive? There's no "All Mail" folder displayed when I try to move an email to a folder on the Z10.

Any other options? Right now, one horrible work-around I think I'll try is to create a "Delete" label, move the email there, and periodically purge it using the web interface. I don't really want to do the reverse and create my own version of an "all mail" folder -- then all of my email will get a useless label.
    02-13-13 10:21 PM
    One good point I just found in a comment on a berryreview post:

"On the other hand, I don’t necessarily want to delete mail off the BlackBerry when I archive it, so I’m not sure that this current method really suits me either."

Definitely do not like delete to archive for this -- if I archive an email and then get a follow-up later, I want the ability to see the earlier email as well if I need to. Maybe I will go with the ugly "Alt All Mail" label idea and change the delete behaviour to move mail to trash...

I miss the BIS Gmail plug-in.
    02-13-13 10:26 PM
    Unfortunately since Google is now a major smartphone platform competitor, politics dictate what functionality ends up being available on Blackberry.

Case in point: Google's discontinuation of ActiveSync for free customers. I have to think that that was mostly a political maneuver.

The way most platforms deal with this is by having either a special Gmail tie-in or a dedicated Gmail app on the device. But for political reasons Google may never write a native BB10 Gmail app, and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the licensing terms for the traditional BIS Gmail plugin for BB10 too.

One could just use the website, but there is a lot of evidence that Google is playing politics there once again. For example they are blocking Windows Phone 8 users from using the Gmail website, claiming it is "only designed for Webkit browsers". (Which is still BS because as Microsoft pointed-out in response, the browser on Windows Phone 8 uses the exact same browser engine that is used on Windows 8, and Windows 8 users can use the Gmail site just fine.)
    02-16-13 05:11 AM
    Politics definitely play a role, but in the end if BlackBerry wants to keep their users happy then they have to do what they have to do, even if that means making deals with the competitors to ensure everything works seamlessly for their users.
    02-16-13 11:00 AM
    I never enabled activesync and 6 and 7.1 differentiated between archive and delete just fine. Also had the "report spam" option. I hope they're able to bring these back soon.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 11:42 AM
    You can only "make deals" with parties who are willing to make deals. When that party is a direct competitor, you can rest assured that any deal they are willing to make is not going to be beneficial to your competitive position with them. (For example, Google might say: "Sure, we'll let you use those features, it will cost you $5 Billion", or "Sure, we'll let you use those features, but you have to make Google Maps the default mapping app on BB10". (Which of course burnishes Googles reputation, takes away advertising revenue from Blackberry, and so on.)

Except when you're in a strong competitive position like Apple is, where if Google didn't provide quality access to their services on Apple's devices, they would potentially lose a large part of their customer-base. And which is why Apple has started to cut-back on cooperative deals with companies like Google and Samsung, as those companies have become increasingly strong competitors in other areas.
    02-16-13 05:51 PM