Hey,

Calling all BB10 users. I'd like to further beat the crap out of the dead horse that is the whole Gmail IMAP vs. Exchange ActiveSync, multiple calendars, CalDAV, CardDAV issue. Thing.

• First, I'd love to hear someone who picked up a Z10 after January 31st (Google's ActiveSync cancellation day for new activations) confirm that Gmail pushes mail to your phone. My understanding is that without BIS, mail "pushing" is getting done either via IMAP-IDLE or ActiveSync. Since Google cancelled the latter, that just leaves IMAP-IDLE. Now, I don't really give a damn how it's getting done, just that Gmail is delivering mail instantly to new activations on BB10. Confirm? I read the BB10 review but there seems to be a lot of confusion about 15 min sync vs push.
    • Secondly, I'd like to hear (again, actual users, not speculation - do not comment if you do not know) that it is possible to get multiple Gmail calendars syncing quickly both ways on the Z10. "Calendar Sync" is purported to get it done, but I had issues with that app on the PlayBook. Does this work on the Z10?

Can't wait to hear what you have to say! I'd like to know since I'm on the fence about whether to dump Google for outlook.com. I created an outlook.com account to try it out and everything (mail, calendar, contacts) synced beautifully on the PlayBook. I'm assuming the Z10 will be the same. BUT, I'd like to keep my Gmail address for consistency, so hopefully someone with a Z10 and a Google account can fill me in?
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-04-13 07:51 PM
    Hmmm. No answers. Let me condense for the TL;DR type people.

1) Do email messages arrive instantly through Gmail?
    2) Can multiple calendars be synced?
    02-04-13 09:10 PM
    1) Yes.
    2) No. Only one calendar. This app will allow you to sync more than one. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA

Hmmm. No answers. Let me condense for the TL;DR type people.

1) Do email messages arrive instantly through Gmail?
    2) Can multiple calendars be synced?
    02-04-13 09:30 PM
    To add a question on this - will you receive the gmail message if sent from you and cc yourself? That was the main reason I went to android. Carbon copying myself is how I keep track of important messages and os7 never did it properly. In fact, I had started a thread about that way back and a bunch of people didn't seem to think it was a big deal and tried to use the excuse that it was designed to be that way.

Anyhow, would I receive a new message if I copy myself? Thanks in advance!
    02-04-13 10:54 PM
    Yes, you can cc yourself.
    02-04-13 10:57 PM
    Yes, you can cc yourself.
    Sorry, to clarify, I'm sure the cc function is there, but will you receive the message on your own device after cc'ing yourself on the device? And thanks for replying!
    02-05-13 12:06 AM
    1) Yes.
    2) No. Only one calendar. This app will allow you to sync more than one. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA
    Have you verified the multi-calendar using the app since January 31st when Google cancelled ActiveSync?
    02-05-13 12:33 AM
    Have you verified the multi-calendar using the app since January 31st when Google cancelled ActiveSync?
    even if you can only sync one calendar, couldn't you just share your google calendars to the one that you sync? it should still all stay organized to the separate accounts. that being said, i'm not very happy about the email situation even if imap idle is working correctly, it's still not really push. the features i'm losing moving from android to bb are really adding up now.
    02-05-13 03:34 PM
    i cant seem to get my old calendar entries to restore on my Z10
    02-05-13 07:52 PM
    My Google calendar doesn't sync at all, I am unable to add the calendar at all actually, as it fails on attempt to add through the accounts area. Any ideas?

02-06-13 12:11 AM
    Same here. Using Blackberry Link I can't restore my 9900 calendar to my Z10. Anyone got any tips?
    02-06-13 03:19 AM
    Bought on the 1st.
    Full push email on 4 Gmail accounts, fully synced 4 Gmail calendars with no added apps.
    02-06-13 05:11 AM
    It's only the main calendar from what i can tell.
    02-06-13 05:38 AM
    It's only the main calendar from what i can tell.
    I don't know what to say.
    I set it up on the 1st, it pulled in and displayed all calendar entries from the last month at least, for all 4 calendars.
    I added one entry on Sunday to one of my Google calendars.
    After your message I just tried adding another entry, now it will only let me add to my local device only calendar, not a single one of my Google calendars.
    I really wonder if they tested the stock apps for bugs at all.
    02-06-13 05:50 AM
    Fantastic, now the calendar app won't let me change timings at all.
    If it's all day, I can't untick it, if it's a certain time, I can't change it, the app crashes straight way.
    2 reboots have not fixed it.
    Ah well, the Z10 has a great feel to it at times, but it's even more buggy than the PlayBook in some ways.
    02-06-13 06:00 AM
    I don't know what to say.
    I set it up on the 1st, it pulled in and displayed all calendar entries from the last month at least, for all 4 calendars.
    I added one entry on Sunday to one of my Google calendars.
    After your message I just tried adding another entry, now it will only let me add to my local device only calendar, not a single one of my Google calendars.
    I really wonder if they tested the stock apps for bugs at all.
    I think the key is you said you added 4 gmail accounts? They can each have one calendar.
    02-06-13 06:28 AM
    I think the key is you said you added 4 gmail accounts? They can each have one calendar.
    Oh I see what you are saying. You meant multiple calendars for a single account?
    I just use multiple calendars with multiple accounts, one for each one.
    Anyway it's moot now cos the Z10 won't let me add anything to any calendar except the device calendar, and now the calendar app won't stop crashing.
    02-06-13 07:16 AM
    Make sure you're adding your Gmail accounts as Exchange accounts. Use m.google.com as the server address. When you hit the + to add an account, click Advance at the bottom & you'll see it.
    02-06-13 07:32 AM
    How are you restoring? Take me through the steps.
    02-06-13 07:35 AM
    That happened to me. I had to delete the account and then re-enter using this BlackBerry knowledge base advice:

KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync
    Users who subscribe to Google Apps can integrate their mobile account as ActiveSync where the default would normally a combination of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. To complete this perform the following steps on the BlackBerry*10*smartphone.

Swipe down from the top bezel
    Select Settings
    Select Accounts
    Select Add Account
    Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
    Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.google.com and Port:443
    Select Next
    Select desired PIM items for Synchronization
    02-06-13 08:00 AM
    In truth what is irritating me now are a small set of local entries that keep switching themselves to daily recurring events.
    02-06-13 08:03 AM
    In truth what is irritating me now are a small set of local entries that keep switching themselves to daily recurring events.
    So, literally got my hands on a Z10 about 30 minutes ago, so my experience is quite limited. Are you referring here to recurring events that appear to be breaking somehow when syncing over the air?
    02-06-13 11:37 AM
    How are you restoring? Take me through the steps.
    Hi Ms. Cooley,

Thanks for offering to help.

I have a very similar situation. My calendar on my Torch was not linked with google or outlook.com. I just sync'd it with my laptop MS Outlook using BB DS. No calendar data transferred from my Torch to my Z10 when I used the BB Link software to switch devices. Saved wifi settings, bookmarks etc all transferred but no calendar or contact data. I used the Bluetooth method to transfer the contacts from my Torch to the Z10. That worked nicely. Now how do I get my calendar data to transfer without sending it through google or outlook.com?
    02-06-13 12:13 PM
    When I tried to set up my outlook email from home acct (through Telus.net) the z10 made it imap and I want pop3. Can this be changed at all? I don't like imap at all.
    02-06-13 12:16 PM
    That happened to me. I had to delete the account and then re-enter using this BlackBerry knowledge base advice:

KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync
    Users who subscribe to Google Apps can integrate their mobile account as ActiveSync where the default would normally a combination of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. To complete this perform the following steps on the BlackBerry*10*smartphone.

Swipe down from the top bezel
    Select Settings
    Select Accounts
    Select Add Account
    Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
    Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.google.com and Port:443
    Select Next
    Select desired PIM items for Synchronization
    I'm seeing a lot of people post this solution, however it seems to me that you require a Google Apps account to do this (paid account). Does this work with a simple free Google account?
    02-06-13 01:23 PM
78 123 ...