I'm sure this has probably been asked & discussed a thousand times & I'm sorry for being redundant. I have a Z10 STL 100-4 with the 10.1.0.2039 software and I'm thinking about installing a leak for the first time. I'm tired of my battery dying quickly & having problems with my contacts... plus I'm tired of waiting for Verizon to release 10.2. I'm not sure what the best way to start installing a leak is. What risks am I taking by installing a leak? What is the best leak to install at the moment? I know there's a article on the Crackberry homepage explaining how to install a leak using an autoloader, but being a newbie about OS leaks I would appreciate it if someone could explain things more to me, such as where to download everything I need. I probably seem like a electronically challenged person , but I'm usually good about software stuff lol!

Thanks in advance!
    11-25-13 12:25 PM
    http://berryleaks.wikidot.com/ best place to start. Has step by step instructions as well as common questions. Very easy to use

Lilly's hand stitched Frankensteined Z30 powered by 10.2.1.(latest Leak)
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-25-13 12:34 PM
    Read the beginning of any of the leak threads. Do the homework and read through some of the helpful links that are in the leaked OS's first post. It's all laid out. Just take your time and follow the steps and good luck. Some like to back up and restore using BlackBerry Link. IMHO Link is crap for that! I do a back-up just in case but no restore. From my understanding it sometimes messes up the OS after you restore. And the leak I would go with is the 10.2.1.1055
    Again good luck!

Secret squirreling with my Q.
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-25-13 12:47 PM
    Since you are new to leaks, start with 10.2.0.1809 first. Then read on the 1055 to see if you can live with the bugs that is all over this forum right now around it

Posted via CB10. 10.2.0.1791
    BigBadWulf, kimbonini and LWKING like this.
    11-25-13 02:24 PM
    I am using 10.2.0.1791 on Verizon and it works perfectly. If you ever want to go to an official Verizon release you need to be at an OS number that is lower than what Verizon might release.

Posted via CB10
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-25-13 02:31 PM
    Based on your experience, I'd advise against installing Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055. It is a tad buggy for most, but any of the later 10.2.0.xxxx are darn good.
    LillyFox and kimbonini like this.
    11-25-13 03:28 PM
    Thanks everyone for all of the help ! I decided to try the .1809 leak and so far so good. I installed it Monday night and have been waiting for it to settle in, but I have no complaints so far and hopefully it continues to stay that way.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:35 AM
    It's not really a leak so u shouldn't have any problems with it. But i still say give. 1055 a try it's really awesome and I have absolutely no bugs! After my second loading lol plus didn't do retore of apps

Posted via CB10
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-27-13 03:05 PM
    I too am using the 1809 leak (on a Q10 SQN 100-5 on T-Mobile in NY) and finding the radio is particularly strong.
    To be fair, I used the 1055 leak for quite a while - I had almost no issues save one - that the radio seemed inferior to both the stock radio (on OS 10.1.0.4200) or the radio from 1809 leak (in terms of signal strength) so I had to downgrade from 10.2.1.1055 to the 10.2.0.1809. I hope that the next 10.2.1.xxxx leak has a better radio because otherwise 10.2.1.xxx is awesome.
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-27-13 03:55 PM
    Use 10.2.0.1809! Don't use 1055 if you don't like little issues to pop up once in a while. Trust me, I'm a random person on the internet.
    kimbonini likes this.
    11-27-13 04:02 PM
    Trust me, I'm a random person on the internet.
    One of the best quotes ever.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 07:13 AM
    You might possibly still be able to go through the official route. I'm not certain whether it does (being a Verizon exclusive), but if the STL100-4 models take SIM cards, then you should be able to get a SIM from a Canadian carrier and download the official 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    kimbonini likes this.
    12-02-13 07:51 AM
    I am on VZW in NYC, running 10.2.1.1055. It's pretty solid but a bit slower than the later 10.2.0 builds. If you want rock solid go for 10.2.0.1791 or higher, 1809 I believe is the latest.

A few issues to be aware off which may or may not be emphasized in the forums:

You should do a full clean install and from my experience do NOT restore anything from Link. Obviously back-up before you do this just incase but assuming your email/contacts/calendar are on a server just let the device rebuild from a clean install.

You most likely loose prior texts and call logs so use an independent back-up program specifically for the txt's if this is important data.

If you use Password Keeper, prior to doing the update, download and sideload the leaked version of PK and do a PK back-up to restore later after you install the OS by adding the back-up to you sd card and doing an import.

After you run the autoloader let the phone sit a bit while it is setteling-in. Do each step slowly as you add accounts, start with PIM data, let it settle and downlaod before running off to install native apps. Best to do a restart (both volume keys) before adding PIM data, depending upon the size of your accounts this can be several hours...let it cook until after it has downloaded all your contacts and sent mails. PIM services will still be indexing and doing voodoo stuff in the background for a while and battery will suck until this is complete, keep it plugged in go make a sandwhich, then a coffe, then a scotch...

Then install your bbry apps. Another restart is probably useful at this point.

Next, set up the accounts for all the non core apps...give it some time and re-start again.

Then you can venture in to sideloading android apps...

For some reason these somewhat counterintuitive steps seem to help. It is painful to wait for each step and some folks report having no problems just bombing ahead with a full install or even using Link back-ups but it has not created as clean installs for me.

I am sure others have additional advise but these are the key painpoints I have experienced.

Even if your phone is your daily driver if you don't mind a few small issues with speed go for the 10.2.1.1055 leak.

Posted via CB10
    balenax and kimbonini like this.
    12-02-13 08:41 AM
    Thanks everyone!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 08:05 PM
    I am on VZW in NYC, running 10.2.1.1055. It's pretty solid but a bit slower than the later 10.2.0 builds. If you want rock solid go for 10.2.0.1791 or higher, 1809 I believe is the latest.

A few issues to be aware off which may or may not be emphasized in the forums:

You should do a full clean install and from my experience do NOT restore anything from Link. Obviously back-up before you do this just incase but assuming your email/contacts/calendar are on a server just let the device rebuild from a clean install.

You most likely loose prior texts and call logs so use an independent back-up program specifically for the txt's if this is important data.

If you use Password Keeper, prior to doing the update, download and sideload the leaked version of PK and do a PK back-up to restore later after you install the OS by adding the back-up to you sd card and doing an import.

After you run the autoloader let the phone sit a bit while it is setteling-in. Do each step slowly as you add accounts, start with PIM data, let it settle and downlaod before running off to install native apps. Best to do a restart (both volume keys) before adding PIM data, depending upon the size of your accounts this can be several hours...let it cook until after it has downloaded all your contacts and sent mails. PIM services will still be indexing and doing voodoo stuff in the background for a while and battery will suck until this is complete, keep it plugged in go make a sandwhich, then a coffe, then a scotch...

Then install your bbry apps. Another restart is probably useful at this point.

Next, set up the accounts for all the non core apps...give it some time and re-start again.

Then you can venture in to sideloading android apps...

For some reason these somewhat counterintuitive steps seem to help. It is painful to wait for each step and some folks report having no problems just bombing ahead with a full install or even using Link back-ups but it has not created as clean installs for me.

I am sure others have additional advise but these are the key painpoints I have experienced.

Even if your phone is your daily driver if you don't mind a few small issues with speed go for the 10.2.1.1055 leak.

Posted via CB10
    Great post! Great advice! I'm also on Verizon 10.2.1.1055... in California (originally from the Bronx... GO YANKEES! )

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-12-13 02:18 AM