If your provider is not yet rolling out 10.2 and you can't wait, you can try the following.
    Borrow a SIM of a n/w which is offering the update. Run a SW update check with that SIM in ur phone. The 10.2 update will show up.
    Now switch back to ur SIM and the update will still show up. Get back home and complete the update.

Screen shot of how I got the update offered on my Airtel Karnataka, by using a vodafone sim for 5 minutes.
    Get 10.2 by tricking the phone (switch SIMs)-img_00000266.png

Posted via CB10
    93Aero and anon(5906760) like this.
    11-05-13 12:23 AM
    old news, this is well known even prior to 10.1. nothing major breaking!!
    maxmelbin likes this.
    11-05-13 12:26 AM
    So? There are many new users that might not know about this, and others who want the update but are too afraid to install leaks.

Thanks OP for sharing for those who need it.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:36 AM
    Thanks I'm sure someone new to the site or someone will do a web search and stumble upon this posting and try this method.
    Crackberry it's all about the sharing of info, and welcome to the site.
    maxmelbin likes this.
    11-05-13 12:40 AM
    Jeez, someone peed in your cornflakes? There may be others like the OP for whom the information is new.
    jupiter8 likes this.
    11-05-13 02:03 AM
    So? There are many new users that might not know about this, and others who want the update but are too afraid to install leaks.

Thanks OP for sharing for those who need it.

Posted via CB10
    There is a desire to cut down on redundant posts in the forum to try and make information easier to find. This is a bit of a double edge sword though because unless everyone does it you have to soft through other redundant posts to find the information you are looking for.

Either way the OP forgot to mention the phone needs to be unlocked in order to use another carrier's SIM to perform the update.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 03:08 AM
    Ok. There has been running threads of the unavailability of 10.2 yet on Airtel especially.
    May be the info was duplicate, but many people like me couldn't find it obviously. So a duplication here and there can do no harm.
    Point was u don't need the other SIM for the entire duration, just search for update with the other carrier SIM and then u can run update with your own SIM.

Also, in India most purchases are retail. Not carrier locked.

Posted via CB10
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    11-05-13 03:37 AM
    Jeez, someone peed in your cornflakes? There may be others like the OP for whom the information is new.
    Yup, you're right. This is new for me. Thanks OP!
    11-05-13 04:54 AM
    Can you do this on a Verizon device? I would assume not, but I guess you're not actually connecting to the network.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 08:41 AM
    There is a desire to cut down on redundant posts in the forum to try and make information easier to find. This is a bit of a double edge sword though because unless everyone does it you have to soft through other redundant posts to find the information you are looking for.

Either way the OP forgot to mention the phone needs to be unlocked in order to use another carrier's SIM to perform the update.

Posted via CB10
    Even so, maybe the desire should be to cut down on the redundant negative posts, first. Then, maybe focus on other redundant posts. Either way, the OP posted something helpful to those who may need it, regardless of how many times such a subject has been posted. It's always good to have options/multiple views on how to accomplish something.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 10:00 AM
    You don't find it annoying having the new threads being congested with not really new threads?

Or threads filling up with the same questions being asked over and over again??

There's a search function for a reason.

I sincerely hope that these users are much more proficient at their jobs than they are at crackberry forums!
    11-05-13 10:14 AM
    Maybe someone should make a sticky with information like this cause I had no idea it was possible. Thanks for sharing OP!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 11:38 AM
    Hi, I've read this a long time ago, but I never tried to do it cause others say that there may be trouble on the radio frequencies that you will download if you use a different carrier that is far off in your own region. Like examply in my case, I live in Asia, but I want to use my aunt's Rogers Canadian sim card, so the Canadian sim may download the 10.2 update that is not meant for my region.

Is that true? Can anyone prove this?

And if so, what's stopping us from just removing a sim card on the phone and just do it via wifi. I mean the phone doesn't detect any sim so it won't limit itself within the boundaries of your region-based sim.

And must the sim card be activated? As my aunt's sim is a prepaid sim card so I doubt its roaming is activated here in the Philippines. So can I use that sim card even if it doesn't have any frequencies?

I'm sorry for asking, but these are just my concerns before doing the "use other network's/countries' sim card to get the update"

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 12:14 PM
    Hi, I've read this a long time ago, but I never tried to do it cause others say that there may be trouble on the radio frequencies that you will download if you use a different carrier that is far off in your own region. Like examply in my case, I live in Asia, but I want to use my aunt's Rogers Canadian sim card, so the Canadian sim may download the 10.2 update that is not meant for my region.

And if so, what's stopping us from just removing a sim card on the phone and just do it via wifi. I mean the phone doesn't detect any sim so it won't limit itself within the boundaries of your region-based sim.

And must the sim card be activated? As my aunt's sim is a prepaid sim card so I doubt its roaming is activated here in the Philippines. So can I use that sim card even if it doesn't have any frequencies?

I'm sorry for asking, but these are just my concerns before doing the "use other network's/countries' sim card to get the update"

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about other carrier software question, but if you remove the sim no update will be pushed sd it can not identify a carrier.
    popengchan likes this.
    11-05-13 12:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I believe even an unactivated SIM will work.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    popengchan likes this.
    11-05-13 01:02 PM
    Are the sim cards different, like can I use someone's android phone on a rogers chip and put it into my phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 02:33 PM
    Are the sim cards different, like can I use someone's android phone on a rogers chip and put it into my phone?

Posted via CB10
    You should, as long as they're both the same size. You can put a NanoSIM in a MicroSIM slot if you position it just right, but not the other way around. Just make sure you don't break one of the pins.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-05-13 03:21 PM
    Questions in this thread:
    1. Q: Can you use an un-activated SIM card? A: Yes. I am using an un-activated Rogers SIM card in my unlocked AT&T phone to get the official updates when Rogers releases them. I do not have a Rogers account nor have I activated that SIM (I just bought for ~$12 shipped).
    2. Q: Can you use any SIM card such as one from another phone like Android? A: Yes as a SIM is not specific to any one device manufacturer, just its size and carrier matters. In our case it just needs to be a Micro-SIM like that used in the Z10/Q10/Q5/Z30. I haven't seen anyone use a smaller SIM, and I guess technically it's possible, but you cannot use a larger SIM.
    3. Q: Can I do this with my Verizon device/my device from Asia? A: You should be able to do this with any device provided you have unlocked the device (AT&T unlocked mine for free since I had the phone for over 90 days) and you have a SIM from a compatible network. By compatible network I mean one using a radio file that will work on your network. For example AT&T and Rogers are compatible as they both use the STL100-3 Z10 model, so I was able to use a Rogers SIM in my phone. When in doubt as to compatibility, find out what carrier your phone would roam onto when you are in Canada and then check to see if they use the same model Z10/Q10/Q5/Z30 as you have. Here is a link to thread that shows the carrier to device compatibility for Z30s, and it has links to the other model compatibility information as well.
    4. Q: Can I do this over Wi-Fi without a SIM? A: I have seen reports of unlocked phones getting the updates even though their carrier's SIM isn't approved for the update, but I would bet the answer is you must have any SIM in there to get an update as someone else indicated.
    Last edited by HotFix; 11-05-13 at 09:08 PM.
    popengchan likes this.
    11-05-13 05:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've learned more from random posts like this one , and about things that I didn't even know that I wanted to know. LOL that sounds confusing. I also have gleaned a ton of information from posts that go off the rails, off topic.
    I wasn't even thinking about the obvious fact you mentioned about the phone needing to be unlocked.
    Thanks man.
    Personally I don't have the time to be bothered to search for some topic I want share about. Not gonna happen. I've learned more from recycled topics.
    I search when there is specific information I desire to find ,like side loading specifics and procedures.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:37 AM
    If you bought your phone from a carrier, that IMEI is in that carrier's database, and you'll only get updates when that carrier releases them, I think.

I'm on TMO USA. When I put my SingTel or Orange Fr SIM cards in, I still get no update option. (Yes, my phone is unlocked).

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:15 AM
    If you bought your phone from a carrier, that IMEI is in that carrier's database, and you'll only get updates when that carrier releases them, I think.

I'm on TMO USA. When I put my SingTel or Orange Fr SIM cards in, I still get no update option. (Yes, my phone is unlocked).

Posted via CB10
    It's based on the SIM card, not the IMEI. I'm not sure why yours isn't working. I know it took like 1/2 hour one time after I put in the Rogers SIM and rebooted for Link to realize I should get the update for Rogers instead of AT&T, so perhaps it was a delay issue you experienced.

I recommend turning on airplane mode but then re-enabling wifi before one shuts down the phone to swap SIMs, this way the phone won't spend time trying to register on an incorrect network.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 09:43 AM