I've had a BB10 phone since I got my Z10 shortly after launch. One of the interesting things about BlackBerry's QNX port was the way we could interact with the OS through the use of gestures rather than relying on buttons.

It seems to me that this has been largely lost along the way. Yes, we all use the swipe up from bottom gesture all the time but other than that we only have the swipe down for menu which does not seem very well supported by a lot of apps.

Many people find gestures a bit unwieldy and unless you know about them, they are not at all obvious or natural.

I now have a passport and I still find the swipe up from bottom unnatural and I often miss or get unexpected results if I dont start the swipe from exactly the right spot. When QNX was first conceived, nobody had imagined that you would be needing to hit a small area just above a physical keyboard and the original implementation of BB QNX was on the Playbook which had a massive bezel all around the screen, which made swipe ups or swipe downs easy.

Perhaps with many devices having physical keyboards and bezels increasingly shrinking, maybe it is time to move away from a feature that is neat when it works but difficult and not at all obvious to new users.

Is anyone else inclined to agree? If BB are going to carry on developing BB10 then should they look at giving up on swiping?
    06-18-15 12:08 PM
    BlackBerry Passport is my first BB10 device and I have had nothing but good results with the swiping gestures. I feel like I can fly through the OS as opposed to tapping slow hamburger menus on other OSs (android)

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:16 PM
    Android is not gesture based and nowadays because bb10 is full of android apps and not cascades, it has become less gesture based.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:17 PM
    Android is not gesture based and nowadays because bb10 is full of android apps and not cascades, it has become less gesture based.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you are using predominantly Android applications. I use Audible in the car, swiping is moot.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    BionicKris likes this.
    06-18-15 04:39 PM
    I like my Passport - but prefer to have keys - including go back, home, and two or more keys that I could program eg for hub or checked Tasks pro - infact I'd like the 4th row back as well!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:19 AM
    I love the gestures, fast and easy to learn, all the other OS interfaces feel slow and archaic in comparison.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    BionicKris likes this.
    06-20-15 12:11 PM