I was thinking that instead of swiping up to exit the app, the pressing the X to close the app, how about a swipe from the very bottom to the top?

And how about a more fluid way to close cards? I the IOS swiping up is more fluid than the Xs.
    02-08-15 05:24 AM
    too much swiping already happening. How hard is it to tap an x to close the app. Does iOS have active frames? that's why a swipe from the bottom doesn't close the app. We have active frames.
    02-08-15 07:44 AM
    I would like to have a way to close a open app with a one click solution. I may not want the app in active frame and then having to close it. One action versus two. I like the "X" key closes the app idea.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using Tapatalk
    vbdwork likes this.
    02-08-15 08:09 AM
    I agree, BlackBerry needs to bring back what it was truly known for which is productivity. Especially on a Q10, Classic, and Passport, there are so many various keyboard inputs that BlackBerry can easily use to their advantage. I'd enjoy the ability to double tap the spacebar when outside of a text box to completely close an app or hold the spacebar to active frame it. BlackBerry also needs to bring back the app switching feature from bb07. It was so much easier to switch between active apps by simply pressing alt and the BlackBerry key...we should be able to do the same by holding the ALT key and tapping the spacebar to cycle through active applications. Productivity on BB07 was so much better than BB10...all this swiping is not needed, bring back keyboard shortcuts...

Posted via CB10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    02-08-15 08:45 AM
    I would like to have a way to close a open app with a one click solution. I may not want the app in active frame and then having to close it. One action versus two. I like the "X" key closes the app idea.
    Me too. I never keep active frames open, most of them are just useless.

Changing the focus to first page is another issue. I arrange apps on pages by type - tools, online, media, etc. Let's say all maps and related are on page 4. I'm on page 4 and open BlackBerry Maps to took for something, but it doesn't work (usual situation), then I have to swipe up + X, then swipe back to page 4 in order to open Google Maps, for example. 4 swipes and 2 taps to change the map app. I see no efficiency here.

On Android the above task takes 2 taps only (home + new app). Much faster.
    02-08-15 10:18 AM
    Me too. I never keep active frames open, most of them are just useless.

Changing the focus to first page is another issue. I arrange apps on pages by type - tools, online, media, etc. Let's say all maps and related are on page 4. I'm on page 4 and open BlackBerry Maps to took for something, but it doesn't work (usual situation), then I have to swipe up + X, then swipe back to page 4 in order to open Google Maps, for example. 4 swipes and 2 taps to change the map app. I see no efficiency here.

On Android the above task takes 2 taps only (home + new app). Much faster.
    The efficiency comes from using applications together, not in switching between apps. But that is the way I use BlackBerry and why I find Android and iOS so inefficient. And that's why I'm so glad there is an OS that is so completely different from those two.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    TheAuthority and howards like this.
    02-08-15 11:25 AM
    The efficiency comes from using applications together, not in switching between apps.
    You can't use apps any better in BB10. You see one app at a time full screen anyway and many apps in "active frames" are actually in suspended state. Does BlackBerry Maps continue tracking your location in active frame? No.

In Android you can have split screen multitasking, if you like. Can't do it on BB10. It's a common misconception here on CB that Android can't multitask.
    Michael Weinberger likes this.
    02-08-15 12:26 PM
    You see one app at a time full screen anyway and many apps in "active frames" are actually in suspended state. Does BlackBerry Maps continue tracking your location in active frame? No.
    Totally not true. The apps in Active Frames are still running, not "suspended." Youtube and other videos and even navigation keep running when in Active Frames. The frames itself don't display the video or the navigation in miniaturized form but the app keeps running, and the user can listen while doing something else. As soon as the user maximizes the video or maps/navigation frame, the visual part is right at the point where it should be. I use the video and Maps/Navigation feature like this all the time.
    02-08-15 01:02 PM
    You can't use apps any better in BB10. You see one app at a time full screen anyway and many apps in "active frames" are actually in suspended state. Does BlackBerry Maps continue tracking your location in active frame? No.

In Android you can have split screen multitasking, if you like. Can't do it on BB10. It's a common misconception here on CB that Android can't multitask.
    You seem to be focused on map applications. The location aware apps I write do give the user the option of tracking position in active frame. But it doesn't make much sense to continue to download and display maps that no one can see.

The real power in an active frame is the fact that it keeps state. For example I started this reply about a half hour ago. Other things came up that I had to deal with. That done I am able to come back here and carry on. That is sometimes the case with my iPad, but sometimes, quite often in fact, my work would be lost.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-08-15 01:08 PM
    4 swipes and 2 taps to change the map app. I see no efficiency here.
    Why swiping ? Just tap the fourth dot.
    BSar likes this.
    02-08-15 01:33 PM
    Totally not true. The apps in Active Frames are still running, not "suspended".
    Only apps designed to run when minimized continue to run. No difference with Android.

The real power in an active frame is the fact that it keeps state.
    Again, no difference with Android. If the app is designed to run on background, it just continues. If not, it gets suspended and keeps the state.

Why swiping ? Just tap the fourth dot.
    Because it's not that easy to hit the tiny dot while walking around with a phone in your hand and it's still an extra unnecessary step.
    02-08-15 02:43 PM

Again, no difference with Android. If the app is designed to run on background, it just continues. If not, it gets suspended and keeps the state.

Not just like Android. On BB10 an application without permission to run will be suspended and keep its state in an active frame. When exited it returns to startup state. Which is why I prefer the way BB10 works. But if you prefer the way Android works, why not use Android?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    TheAuthority likes this.
    02-08-15 03:30 PM
    An example of usable real-time multitasking:

This is what's expected in 2015. BB10 version is "now you see me, now you don't"...
    02-08-15 03:36 PM
    Not just like Android. On BB10 an application without permission to run will be suspended and keep its state in an active frame.
    Same thing happens in Android when you press Home button. I don't understand what difference you are talking about.

Watch the video and see what true multitasking is.
    02-08-15 04:31 PM
    Because it's not that easy to hit the tiny dot while walking around with a phone in your hand and it's still an extra unnecessary step.
    Ok, so 1 swipe on the dots instead.
    02-08-15 06:08 PM
    Ok, so 1 swipe on the dots instead.
    I know, but still not very convenient. The point is that every app minimize/close is shifting the focus to active frames screen and you need to go back to where you were before. Tap, swipe... still extra steps. When I you hit Home on Android you go back to the page where you started, not to default page. If you want to call an previously open app, just hold Home anywhere and select the app you want from the list. BB10 is forcing you to start from active frames page every time. This is why a direct close button (X in top right corner, for example) without jumping to active frames page will increase productivity.

Swipe up and left is not used, it could directly close the app with a nice disappearing animation to the left, returning the focus to the last used apps screen.
    02-08-15 06:36 PM
    Same thing happens in Android when you press Home button. I don't understand what difference you are talking about.

The difference you mentioned, the one I quoted in my reply.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-09-15 03:58 AM
    I don't really agree with the need for such a gesture, but honestly what would be wrong with having one? For example, Hub access is ↑ →, so why not make ↑ ← the gesture for closing an application?
    And another thing is: Opening the Hub using ↑ →, why the hell does it return to the Active Frames screen once swipe back from the Hub? Why doesn't it pop straight back into the app you where using, like when you interrupt the gesture. In my mind that would be the expected behaviour. That would also make it much faster to compare information between an app and the Hub when composing.

That way you could do five things from any app:
    - Swipe ↑ to minimise (useful for apps that show periodic Active Frame information).
    - Swipe ↑ ↓ to look at your incoming message icons (quickly check which app your most recent notification was from).
    - Swip ↓ ↓ to open the Quick Settings (open a Settings app, or quickly toggle certain functions Off/On).
    - Swipe ↑ → to "peek" at, or open the Hub (in my opinion swiping out should bring focus back to last app view. So if you had CB10 open it should go back there, it should only default back to Active Frame list if no app was Fullscreen when the Hub is opened.
    - Swipe ↑ ← to minimise any app and then close it immediately. Could be animated like "flinging the app to the side" to dismiss it.
    _____

Right now we can only really do the first three, and a limited version of the fourth (it always minimises any app when the Hub is opened). I think adding the fifth gesture (opposite to the Hub gesture) would greatly improve flow and it wouldn't interfere with any existing gestures.
    Heck you could even put it into a setting sort of like the PlayBook had (instead of choosing what type of Minimised behaviour, the option to enable/disable this gesture and/or the option to keep apps fullscreen when opening the Hub).
    Would require minimal effort to add, for a big benefit to the user.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    02-09-15 04:30 AM
    I like the way my PlayBook handles closing the app. Why not have that available also

�I am what I am, and that's all that I am.�
    02-09-15 04:36 AM
    An example of usable real-time multitasking:

This is what's expected in 2015. BB10 version is "now you see me, now you don't"...
    That is the one feature of my retired Note2 that I miss. This should be a built-in feature of BlackBerry. The BlackBerry app Work Wide is on the right track but it is limited in the apps one can use with it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using Tapatalk
    02-09-15 05:15 AM
    vbdwork, no need to defend Android here. You seem to be very fond of that OS, do you know our sister site Android Central?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    02-09-15 05:25 AM

Easy go back to 2009 and the Palm Pre for true multi tasking, so much stolen by other OS's from good old webOS, only taken the other OS's what 4 years to catch up webOS's active frame aka cards were swipe up to display and were closed by swiping the card off the screen.

The Nokia N9 also did really good true multi tasking with MeeGo, strange how people get hung up with true multi tasking, you can generally do only one thing at a time
    02-09-15 05:44 AM
    vbdwork, no need to defend Android here. You seem to be very fond of that OS, do you know our sister site Android Central?
    No, no. The discussion in this thread is about what will make BB10 better and why a direct app close option will benefit the efficiency. How Android handles similar tasks without changing the focus and jumping to the default screen was just an example. My idea is exactly this:

- Swipe ↑ ← to minimise any app and then close it immediately. Could be animated like "flinging the app to the side" to dismiss it.
    02-09-15 06:55 AM
    When specifying new user interface behavior it is important to take into account the OS design. BlackBerry 10 for example has the following life cycle specification that application developers expect the OS to follow:

Applications are expected to exit from thumbnail (Active Frame) state. Any change to that would require some, maybe many or most, application developers to re-write a bunch of code.
    02-09-15 07:55 AM
    I don't really agree with the need for such a gesture, but honestly what would be wrong with having one? For example, Hub access is ↑ →, so why not make ↑ ← the gesture for closing an application?
    And another thing is: Opening the Hub using ↑ →, why the hell does it return to the Active Frames screen once swipe back from the Hub? Why doesn't it pop straight back into the app you where using, like when you interrupt the gesture. In my mind that would be the expected behaviour. That would also make it much faster to compare information between an app and the Hub when composing.

That way you could do five things from any app:
    - Swipe ↑ to minimise (useful for apps that show periodic Active Frame information).
    - Swipe ↑ ↓ to look at your incoming message icons (quickly check which app your most recent notification was from).
    - Swip ↓ ↓ to open the Quick Settings (open a Settings app, or quickly toggle certain functions Off/On).
    - Swipe ↑ → to "peek" at, or open the Hub (in my opinion swiping out should bring focus back to last app view. So if you had CB10 open it should go back there, it should only default back to Active Frame list if no app was Fullscreen when the Hub is opened.
    _____

Right now we can only really do the first three, and a limited version of the fourth (it always minimises any app when the Hub is opened). I think adding the fifth gesture (opposite to the Hub gesture) would greatly improve flow and it wouldn't interfere with any existing gestures.
    Heck you could even put it into a setting sort of like the PlayBook had (instead of choosing what type of Minimised behaviour, the option to enable/disable this gesture and/or the option to keep apps fullscreen when opening the Hub).
    Would require minimal effort to add, for a big benefit to the user.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    I agree with you. OS10 is so focused on gestures, yet it doesn't even utilize all the directions. There are applications for android such as GMD Control and Gesture Control that allow users to do exactly what you described. Would be awesome if BlackBerry allowed customers to create their own gestures or at least utilized all possible directions.

Posted via CB10
    Michael Weinberger likes this.
    02-09-15 08:07 AM
27 12