Hello,

I've just released a game for BB10 and PlayBook, but I can only test it physically on a PlayBook. Would anyone be so kind to try it and report if it works and if it runs smoothly on other devices? Zxx, Qxx...

Octagon - The Flying Squirrel - BlackBerry World

Cheers!
    03-03-14 09:36 AM
    Just downloaded it

It's a little hard, but that's the fun of it I guess :P

Have run across two things so far:
    -It tells me to accept the Scoreloop integration when prompted if you go into the highscores list, but it never does prompt it. It actually showed the high score list when I minimized and opened the app up again without any prompt whatsoever
    -Also when I swipe over the screen in the high score list, it kinda glitches with a lot of black space, will take a picture for ya later so you can see what I mean.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:49 AM
    Thank you for your feedback, Eldricho!

It's great to hear that it works well. Regarding Scoreloop, I wonder if that has to do with the fact that Scoreloop was acquired by RIM recently... I do have to enable it on the PlayBook and on Android devices.

There is no implementation of swipe gestures within the game (you can switch from your score to top scores using a button, but the leaderboard is still too short to notice any difference), so I guess the black area you see is just the "outside" of the app when you drag its "window"??

I assume you're using a Z10. Is that right?

Oh, it is hard at first... but you are supposed to get the hold of it after a few tries... I hope

Thanks again!
    03-03-14 11:45 AM
    Just downloaded, will report back shortly. I'm assuming it's an android port since it didn't provide the options to opt-out of permissions, like phone. Not sure you need that.

The BlackBerry Z30 Everybody!
    03-03-14 11:51 AM
    Not bad. There are some glitches in the graphics sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 12:21 PM
    Just downloaded, will report back shortly. I'm assuming it's an android port since it didn't provide the options to opt-out of permissions, like phone. Not sure you need that.

Sorry, you mean no permissions were shown? Or that you did not have the chance to opt out and play anyway? It is indeed an Android game (although I have chosen to release it for BB first). Thanks!

Not bad. There are some glitches in the graphics sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I suppose that might just be the 2D character not matching the 3D environment perfectly... ?
    03-03-14 01:34 PM
    so you basically copied another game to make this? Like Super Hexagon...
    03-03-14 01:50 PM
    Why does it ask to share my files? Delete

Q10 and Z10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    03-03-14 01:52 PM
    And you made what?

The idea of original games is long dead. Any concept YOU think of - I can guarantee either there is no money in it or it already exists and is just another copy.

Congrats to the dev for contributing. More apps = better! And it's free to boot - thanks op.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-03-14 01:55 PM
    Not working on Q10. Got an error message and then screen stayed black.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 01:57 PM
    Sorry, you mean no permissions were shown? Or that you did not have the chance to opt out and play anyway? It is indeed an Android game (although I have chosen to release it for BB first). Thanks!

Thanks. I suppose that might just be the 2D character not matching the 3D environment perfectly... ?
    Permissions were shown but I could not turn them to off, such as phone. Why would you need access to the phone?

03-03-14 02:01 PM
    Game plays beautifully on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925

Adorable game and fun. I love it.

Game testers?-img_20140303_130231.png

Game testers?-img_20140303_130243.png

Game testers?-img_20140303_130258.png

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-03-14 02:05 PM
    Permissions were shown but I could not turn them to off, such as phone. Why would you need access to the phone?

You should ask BlackBerry. Android port developers have no choice in permissions. Nor do you if you want to use them.

That us standard as decided by blackberry for all android ports. That is why you have no option to refuse the permissions.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-03-14 02:06 PM
    Just downloading on Z10 will report shortly, but it seems funn from the screenshots.
    03-03-14 02:39 PM
    Thank you all for your comments! This is really interesting.

No, I came across Super Hexagon well after this idea was playable and I was doing research on games with similar names. I don't think the game concept is similar. Of course I'm not inventing the wheel here. I wanted to create something similar to the old "Sky Roads", but ended up giving it a 360� movement, thanks to the gyroscope and accelerometer capabilities of mobile devices.

Why does it ask to share my files? Delete

Q10 and Z10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    This is the permission you need on Android if you want to store something (even temporarily) on the common folders of the device. In my case, I store a screenshot of the game when the user wants to share the app.

Not working on Q10. Got an error message and then screen stayed black.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I will try to find out what's going on. Did it show a loading screen?

As explained above, unfortunately, you sometimes need a scary looking permission just to perform quite a naive and simple action... some of this is explained in the app description (access to leaderboards requires permissions, for example).

You should ask BlackBerry. Android port developers have no choice in permissions. Nor do you if you want to use them.

That us standard as decided by blackberry for all android ports. That is why you have no option to refuse the permissions.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thank you for your kind words!

We actually can choose which permissions we need to activate on Android, but the user will never be able to toggle them on or off, you can just buy the whole package. It would be nice to be able to just tell users: "hey, you can turn Internet access off if you are not interested in leaderboards". But it doesn't work that way.

Thanks everyone again! I must say that it is much more difficult to get feedback from Android users!
    03-03-14 03:36 PM

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thanks KermEd, I'm well aware of how the ports work, but I highly doubt that BlackBerry requires a port, such as a game, to have access to the phone. That's not Blackberry's decision, that's the developers to begin with.

03-03-14 03:51 PM
    Thanks KermEd, I'm well aware of how the ports work, but I highly doubt that BlackBerry requires a port, such as a game, to have access to the phone. That's not Blackberry's decision, that's the developers to begin with.

He meant the all or none permissions....not the particular permission you're questioning. And the dev answered your concern. It's valid.

I would assume that it's an android limitation, not a decision made by blackberry. If they could allow android apps to choose permissions, and they allow native apps to do so, why would BlackBerry choose to not allow android?
    03-03-14 05:15 PM

It is our decision whether to ask certain permissions, but some times the service you provide depends on pre-existing stuff. For example, 2 out of 3 of the "scary" permissions in my game (Internet and Device Identifying Information) are required by Scoreloop, a BlackBerry-owned leaderboards system. I could of course avoid using leaderboards at all, or look for a service that does not require such permissions and is compatible with both Android and BlackBerry.
    03-03-14 05:16 PM
    He meant the all or none permissions....not the particular permission you're questioning. And the dev answered your concern. It's valid.

I would assume that it's an android limitation, not a decision made by blackberry. If they could allow android apps to choose permissions, and they allow native apps to do so, why would BlackBerry choose to not allow android?
    Correct. Android users can't choose permissions at all. I assume that makes it difficult to implement the choice in ported apps.
    03-03-14 05:18 PM
    Actually he didn't answer my specific question regarding the Phone permission, just that some "scary" permissions are sometimes needed for things such as Scoreloop...Which is understandable...I was just wondering about the phone permission explicitly. I completely understand the all or nothing aspect in android apps

I understand why the phone permission would be needed in some cases but I personally don't understand it here for a game. Does that make me a dev-basher? Just questioning things that others will no doubt question and be constructive at the same time.

03-03-14 06:19 PM
    Actually he didn't answer my specific question regarding the Phone permission, just that some "scary" permissions are sometimes needed for things such as Scoreloop...Which is understandable...I was just wondering about the phone permission explicitly. I completely understand the all or nothing aspect in android apps

I understand why the phone permission would be needed in some cases but I personally don't understand it here for a game. Does that make me a dev-basher? Just questioning things that others will no doubt question and be constructive at the same time.

Right my bad. I thought you were the one asking about shared files.
    Sorry.
    03-03-14 06:27 PM
    No,

Blackberry stamps ALL android ports with requiring phone permissions. It does not matter what the developer put on it for android - you will see that option regardless.

You are complaining to the wrong person about the permissions. . You should be asking why that is mandatory for all Android ports.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-03-14 07:31 PM
    No,

Blackberry stamps ALL android ports with requiring phone permissions. It does not matter what the developer put on it for android - you will see that option regardless.

You are complaining to the wrong person about the permissions. . You should be asking why that is mandatory for all Android ports.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Dude, you must have a grudge of some sort because I was merely asking a question that you, just now, answered but have given me **** over for the past few posts. If you know the answer to someone's inquiry, why be a **** and beat around the bush, just slide it in...or in other words answer the inquiry. That wasn't so hard was it?

03-03-14 08:19 PM

Posted via CB from my LE
    I don't recall a complaint either, just an inquiry based on my knowledge, or lack thereof in this case.

03-03-14 08:20 PM
    No,

Posted via CB from my LE
    To point out the flaw in your logic, I looked at the first port I have listed in permissions, Kingsoft Office, and it does NOT require phone. Just saying

03-03-14 08:22 PM
35 12