Hey guys,

Due to the ending Whatsapp support and the unclear answers of what will happen after (possible to use, but not to create or re-verify...until when?) and after reading a while at the forums I decided to create differentiated backups using Link - I guess there is no other solution, right?

Using an autoloader is not "future-proof", if in two years I can't sign in to my BBID and if I can continute use native Whatsapp, then the Backup has to happen NOW, to be sure.

I am not asking to hear things like "you won't be using BB10 in 1 or 2 years" or "just get KeyOne" - I am aware of those solutions, but for now I decided to stay with my Passport SE and here we are.

Question: If I upgrade to 10.3.3 (which I sucessfully avoided so far, after having problems on my Classic), will I be able to backup my device using Link? I am runningi Link on Win10 currently in the Compabitility Mode and Backups work just fine with 10.3.2 (althoug I never re-stored my phone from a backup...).

Or is it smarter to stay with 10.3.2 and make sure everything works fine like it does now?

I know once u upgraded to 10.3.3 you can't go back to 10.3.2 (not even with re-storing with a backup? Is it incompatible then?), but if I can backup with 10.3.3 I would give it a try..

Anyone of you used Link to backup with 10.3.3 successfully?
    12-28-17 03:30 AM
    Due to the ending Whatsapp support and the unclear answers of what will happen after (possible to use, but not to create or re-verify...until when?)
    Here’s your clear answer:

Since there's plenty of speculation among everyone trying to mince words spread through a number of articles, I'd just like to clear up exactly what is going to happen with the BlackBerry 10 client*:

The December 31, 2017 date has not changed. It is for real this time. However, since I know that many of you will "run to town" on the forums if the app doesn't die in your face at the stroke of midnight, here's how things are actually going to happen (at least on BlackBerry 10):

Once the date passes Dec 31 2017, the app will go into "deprecation" mode. It will still continue to function for a short grace period, but some behaviors will change. Most importantly, you will no longer be able to re-register your account with the app. That means if you delete and reinstall it (or install it on a different phone), it will no longer allow you to verify your phone number and complete the setup process.

After the grace period, which is approximately two weeks after the published date, the app will go into "expired" mode. At this point it will stop functioning as a usable WhatsApp client, and thus will no longer connect to our servers. (Around this same time, our servers will stop allowing the client to connect as well.) However, once it is expired, the BlackBerry 10 client app may still allow you to access your existing message content on your phone. This behavior should be similar to what was seen by everyone who forgot to update their app the last time our published expiration date had passed.

Note: If you want to try the "Export for Android" feature that's been mentioned in some other threads, please do it (or at least try to do it) before your app is cut off. Part of the initial setup process for this feature requires a connection to our servers.

(* The client being referred to here is the native "WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10" application. None of our language refers to the Android client, because it has never been an officially supported option. The Android client may continue to work past this date, but no effort has been or will be made to ensure compatibility. As such, it could break at any time. Therefore, to continue using WhatsApp, switching to a real Android phone is strongly recommended.)
    12-28-17 06:54 AM
    Regarding backup done on 10.3.2
    My experience: I set to auto download update of OS on Link, while never updated my passport from 10.3.2 (and having back up on 10.3.2 there).
    What happened when I did secure wipe out and then wanted to upload backup - Link uploaded new software so I was not able to get my old files and apps and had to do all from scratch.
    Therefore I'm on the newest available OS 10.3.3 and no problem.
    So I wouldn't count with possibility use 10.3.2 back up on 10.3.3
    Maybe other user has different experience though.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-17 08:41 AM
    Regarding backup done on 10.3.2
    My experience: I set to auto download update of OS on Link, while never updated my passport from 10.3.2 (and having back up on 10.3.2 there).
    What happened when I did secure wipe out and then wanted to upload backup - Link uploaded new software so I was not able to get my old files and apps and had to do all from scratch.
    Therefore I'm on the newest available OS 10.3.3 and no problem.
    So I wouldn't count with possibility use 10.3.2 back up on 10.3.3
    Maybe other user has different experience though.

Posted via CB10
    I think OP is more concerned regarding WhatsApp usability after 1/1/2018 and trying go around solutions. Regarding WhatsApp, solutions will be far less than now, to nonexistent.
    12-28-17 08:44 AM
    Anyone of you used Link to backup with 10.3.3 successfully?
    Yes, no problem with my Passport or spare Z10. I have (as an experiment) also successfully restored my Z10 from a backup that I created on a Win 10 system.
    12-28-17 01:44 PM
    Thanks for your answers! Basically I tried it out. Upgraded to 10.3.3 and no issues so far, but it's impossible to keep native whatsapp verified, you automatically have to verify it again after restoring your device with any backup.

Having the clear answer from the whatsapp developer now, it doesn't even make sense anymore, because we soon will have to use the apk anyway...uff. At least it works, I just hate the increased battery consumption.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-17 02:52 AM
    Thanks for your answers! Basically I tried it out. Upgraded to 10.3.3 and no issues so far, but it's impossible to keep native whatsapp verified, you automatically have to verify it again after restoring your device with any backup.

Having the clear answer from the whatsapp developer now, it doesn't even make sense anymore, because we soon will have to use the apk anyway...uff. At least it works, I just hate the increased battery consumption.

Posted via CB10
    Remember dev said no guarantee how long Android version will continue because also not officially supported. Keep cheap Android handy... or KEYone or Motion
    12-29-17 05:18 PM
    Remember dev said no guarantee how long Android version will continue because also not officially supported. Keep cheap Android handy... or KEYone or Motion
    Thanks, yeah I read that! But to be honest, I think it will work throughout those last two years at least. Of course they say it can stop anytime, and I am aware that it actually can, but I don't think so. And if yes: good bye, whatsapp! Threema, telegram etc. work fine. Threema even has a description on how to install their apk on BB10...
    Keyone is good, but not good enough for me. Motion is a joke!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-17 06:16 PM