Great thought but phones OS is more than just the phone. Development is a phenomenal task and then there's continued development and maintenance. That's doesn't include the hardware piece ( probably the easier of the two). Even someone with the wherewithal to undertake such a task and bring it to fruition would be farther behind than the current BlackBerry 10 os; starting over from scratch for Key government and corporate support.

Great thought but it's not the same as buying a treasure trove of new old stock for a now defunct equipment manufacturer and continuing to produce their still desired product.

I love the fluidity of the BlackBerry 10 os and am not hot happy with the prospect of learning to maneuver and function in another os. I'm hoping that the coming bbandroids move closer to the gestures and feel of the bb10 so that when I absolutely must make the move, I don't find myself on a long flat slow climbing learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:57 PM
    You can't say that with certainty.
    There could be a serious security issue discovered immediately after 10.3.4 is released.
    If the sustaining team is no longer there to patch it BB10 is hamstrung.
    Anything "could" happen at any time. Who knows, perhaps the earth will be struck by an asteroid and plunge us into another ice age. Anything is possible.

However, I seriously doubt that there will be a serious security threat that could or would affect my Q10 in the time frame that we are looking at in regards to 10.3.4 or any update. Even if someone was able to create the security threat that you speak of, it is not likely to happen within my lifetime. After I am gone, it doesn't matter what happens to this planet.

The bottom line is relax and worry about things that are real everyday and don't waste energy worrying about what "could" happen in the future.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    08-31-16 05:17 AM
    However, I seriously doubt that there will be a serious security threat that could or would affect my Q10 in the time frame that we are looking at in regards to 10.3.4 or any update. Even if someone was able to create the security threat that you speak of, it is not likely to happen within my lifetime. After I am gone, it doesn't matter what happens to this planet.
    You seem pretty confident about that, I wonder why.
    BB10 uses webkit among other open source components.
    Apple Webkit : List of security vulnerabilities
    08-31-16 12:52 PM
    It would be nice to see a dual boot option. Upon the first start up or factory reset of the device you could choose bb10 or android.

**** in one hand, wish in the other....see which one fills up first. A bb10 priv would be great.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 03:03 PM
    Cut it up how you want, but at the end of the day Android phones run Google code and report your activity to Google.

Hard sell to call that secure.
    08-31-16 05:03 PM
    I think the future for the users of bb10 who can't make the switch to Andriod or IOS is Jolla's sailfish. Both bb10 and sailfish are gesture driven, both use Qt, but sailfish! Is actively developed and has what I think is the prettiest UI on the mobile market. If we could only get some blackberry devs working on this then we could make some really good workhorse apps, the sort we are used to on BlackBerry.

Or the other option is to have an Andriod or IOS device for the apps and keep the blackberry for the real work that you need to do.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and blackmass like this.
    09-01-16 07:40 AM
    I think the future for the users of bb10 who can't make the switch to Andriod or IOS is Jolla's sailfish. Both bb10 and sailfish are gesture driven, both use Qt, but sailfish! Is actively developed and has what I think is the prettiest UI on the mobile market. If we could only get some blackberry devs working on this then we could make some really good workhorse apps, the sort we are used to on BlackBerry.

Or the other option is to have an Andriod or IOS device for the apps and keep the blackberry for the real work that you need to do.

Posted via CB10
    I think the best way out for bb10 users is sfos. It is considered safer than Android & is quite like bb10. It has an updated Android runtime that supports most apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-01-16 10:25 AM
    I think the best way out for bb10 users is sfos. It is considered safer than Android & is quite like bb10. It has an updated Android runtime that supports most apps.
    I'd love to try a Jolla phone and see, but they appear to be rarer than rocking-horse s**t! The guys at Carphone Warehouse don't know what a BlackBerry is, so I'm guessing there won't be a Jolla test-unit there to look at! Lol!

But seriously, if Jolla want some traction, they need to find a way to show people their devices and OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 11:01 AM
    I'd love to try a Jolla phone and see, but they appear to be rarer than rocking-horse s**t! The guys at Carphone Warehouse don't know what a BlackBerry is, so I'm guessing there won't be a Jolla test-unit there to look at! Lol!

But seriously, if Jolla want some traction, they need to find a way to show people their devices and OS.

Posted via CB10
    Search for - Intex Aqua Fish, Oyster SF, Turing Phone. Turing is said to b unhackable by the company - turing robotics - i remember its a US based co.
    If u r comfy with a little tech, u can use a used Oneplus x to flash SFOS on it.

09-01-16 11:55 AM
    Jolla's are quite cheap atm but the hardware is outdated. The best sfos phone out their I think is the Turing phone, hopefully more will follow but if you don't mind flashing it onto a supported phone.

I really wish that it would be possible to get sfos on the passport though.

Posted via CB10
    blackmass likes this.
    09-01-16 03:18 PM
    You seem pretty confident about that, I wonder why.
    BB10 uses webkit among other open source components.
    Apple Webkit : List of security vulnerabilities
    Because I am old and I don't expect to live forever.

09-01-16 03:30 PM
    Cut it up how you want, but at the end of the day Android phones run Google code and report your activity to Google.

Hard sell to call that secure.
    Which is kept behind one of the most secure and advanced firewalls in existence, with a TOS that does not allow the sale of any identifying information to third parties. You should be far, far more concerned with how your bank, your doctor, or your government handles your data.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG111 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG124 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    09-01-16 03:41 PM
    Because I am old and I don't expect to live forever.
    Honestly that was my guess.
    Enjoy yourself, it later than you think.
    09-01-16 03:53 PM
    Which is kept behind one of the most secure and advanced firewalls in existence, with a TOS that does not allow the sale of any identifying information to third parties. You should be far, far more concerned with how your bank, your doctor, or your government handles your data.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG111 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG124 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    Thanks for the reply conite.

Picture the profiles of interview candidates Google could put together before interviews. They may well have most candidates' text messages, emails, personal notes, contacts, password information, phone call records, device usage times, etc.

And not a single bit of data sold!

Imagine all of the proprietary information that passively diffuses to Google, every hour of every day. Who is there to peek beyond The Great Google Firewall and provide checks and balances against them data mining for competitor emails, complete text message records of interview candidates, notes with proprietary ideas which Google might benefit from, etc.?

There are computer science graduate students who could go wild with the data Google collects. Google regularly hires the best of the best computer and data scientists, some of whom may be sociopaths.

I would just as soon provide unfettered access of my entire phone to an entity such as Ch**ch ** Sc***tology.

Not buying this move to Android.

I will now go back to my corner and watch more MR ROBOT.
    Last edited by BEEBEEBEEBEE; 09-02-16 at 06:33 PM.
    melander likes this.
    09-02-16 06:01 PM
    Using any device connected to the Internet WILL pose such a risk.
    Irrespective of whichever os we use, the os will report our activity to its parent company. Apple will hav user data so will Microsoft so will blackberry. This is why China has banned Google & uses yunOS. This a marketing point for Jolla for the BRICS countries. Its just that Apple & Blackberry hav a higher trust rating than Google, for some people. Nonetheless they hav our data and may use it in a way that may b uncomfortable for us. No denying the fact.
    The only way out, i feel, is backing up your own data on a disk or card.
    Maybe using a Blackphone or a Copperhead Os phone will also b secure enuff.

09-03-16 05:28 AM
    Honestly that was my guess.
    Enjoy yourself, it later than you think.
    That is my plan. It really isn't that late, but the clock needs winding every so often.

09-03-16 07:31 AM
    Using any device connected to the Internet WILL pose such a risk.
    This is why the Internet is evil. These business practices of collecting user data and advertising on all devices etc. Will be the downfall of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 12:10 PM
    Back to the original topic... has anyone identified BlackBerry-friendly retirement homes? When the time comes, I want a nursing staff who can swipe up things when I can't. I want a BES12 facility who will take Good care of me. Any recommendations?
    DrBoomBotz and BigBadWulf like this.
    09-03-16 12:53 PM
    This is why the Internet is evil. These business practices of collecting user data and advertising on all devices etc. Will be the downfall of it.

Posted via CB10
    The internet is just like a reflection of the real world - in binary terms. There are roses in d real world and so there r its pictures on the net.
    I don't feel the risk of losing privacy will lead to a downfall of the net in the foreseeable future. 'Things' r getting connected & the net is growing. A certain amount of residual risk will always b present in a given system.
    Let us consider the gravest risk of all - the risk of losing a life -
    The meat knife can b used for (is) for illegal purposes but that does not stop us from using it in our houses for cutting meat.
    Remember the 'red flag act'? I believe cars are more dangerous to our lives now, than they were when the act was in place BUT -
    Now we are more risk aware.
    Now we hav better regulatory practices (scientifically designed roads, traffic rules) & better operational designes (air bags, abs etc). So we r less concerned about the risk in driving a car.
    So is the case with cyberspace - there is risk present of losing privacy. But avoiding the net is not the way out. Managing the risk is.
    Consider this -
    What is the probability of a random person in a given country being spied upon by its government - the probability is very low, at least in my country because of our huge population.
    This is only a quantitative view, lets take a qualitative view - if the person has a criminal record / on the a govt agency radar, the probability increases & that of another with clean background decreases.
    This shows that most people with a 'clean' background wud usually b left alone with their privacy.
    Now for the advertisements -
    Just like in the car model, putting better regulatory & operational practices in place we can manage our experience better. Regulatory measures can include a fixed number of ads. per day / minimizing ad space. Operational measures like paying a little for a favorite app / buying the advertised product and getting app subscription(free) for a certain time.
    To end it all -
    If one is having unaccounted money, its best to keep the records on an offline media.
    And most important - there is nothing free in the world, not even a petty app.

09-03-16 03:01 PM
    I'm talking about the idea of the Internet being a free place for the exchange of information, like it was meant to be. Instead we are heading to a system that will revolve around money thus turning people into narcasists paying for echo chambers and celebrity selfis.

But going back to the topic Jolla's Sailfish is the only option as it's very similar to blackberry and even supports themes so it could look similar as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 03:15 PM
    Before trying out the latest iOS I grabbed an HP Veer this summer. Love the size, love the os just as much as bb10. But it's just not cut out for todays Internet. Just getting certs updated so that web and imap and smtps working properly was a pain.

There was an effort in the public domain to help support users still on the platform, but without corporate sponsorship, a lot is lacking.
    09-03-16 04:22 PM
    If you don't like iOS or Android (or even Windows Phone), Tizen could be promising if Samsung brings it to more markets. Topp (a startup by former TAT/BlackBerry Sweden employees) seems to be involved in the project as well,

Samsung: The Tizen Platform ? Topp
    09-03-16 04:33 PM
    What is the probability of a random person in a given country being spied upon by its government - the probability is very low, at least in my country because of our huge population.
    This is only a quantitative view, lets take a qualitative view - if the person has a criminal record / on the a govt agency radar, the probability increases & that of another with clean background decreases.
    This shows that most people with a 'clean' background wud usually b left alone with their privacy.
    You are missing the point as to what surveillance is for, and what loss of our privacy means. 'Total Information Awareness' does not involve human beings watching/monitoring for interesting behaviors, although that certainly happen too, but the system is computerized. It is for total control of each and every person on the planet. The behavior control includes, to make a long story short, teaching us to ACCEPT surveillance as the norm. Don't question surveillance, question those who question it. If you have nothing to hide you wouldn't care -- how many times have we heard people say that?

BlackBerry is good for people who care about privacy and personal security, android is good for those who don't care. BlackBerry and android will never make the perfect mix of privacy +security and apps whose primary purpose is to collect information about you. At least they can tell you what information is being collected.

Why are we talking about starting over and creating another OS? If we want BB10 we have to stand by it, if we jump ship we will have to swim toward the closest thing that will float us, and nobody is out there to make it anything like BlackBerry.

No more Playbook for us but they sold a secure tablet to Germany? Perhaps they are being ordered to stop providing this to the public. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me about BB's 'marketing' since coming out with BB10.

I feel like hanging on to BB is like holding my finger in the dike ... Just a little bit longer ... and that is the only thing to do. Maybe enough people out there won't just roll over to the privacy violations.
    09-04-16 12:15 AM
    You are missing the point as to what surveillance is for, and what loss of our privacy means. 'Total Information Awareness' does not involve human beings watching/monitoring for interesting behaviors, although that certainly happen too, but the system is computerized. It is for total control of each and every person on the planet. The behavior control includes, to make a long story short, teaching us to ACCEPT surveillance as the norm. Don't question surveillance, question those who question it. If you have nothing to hide you wouldn't care -- how many times have we heard people say that?

I was unaware of the US government's Tia programme, so i read about it. I believe that such programmes r run by other countries without the public having even the slightest hint about them. I understand that the purpose of such programmes is complete surveillance of the public. Hence, what is risk for the public becomes a requirement for the government. This gives rise to opposite objectives. The one variable that we(public) will want to minimise that same variable the government will try to maximize - our exposure.

This in turn gives rise to a cat and mouse game.

With increased surveillance, a counter measure will come in place, and with such increasing measures again the government will take corrective action.

I feel Copperhead Os is one such measure. When the Os is fully implemented, it greatly reduces Android's functionality. Maybe this is the reason y Nexus devices r not adopting it.

Thinking about all this i feel maybe the app gap on blackberry is indirectly a work of the government to drive ppl away form blackberry to lesser secure platforms, or maybe blackberry does not hav the required features for apps, given its security properties built in.

I feel if blackberry makes money off Android, its possible we may see the bb10 evolve into a completely different device segment in the future. For e g - a self sustaining network of VPN devices for a specific group. We never know what can happen.

Reading about all this, this article -

http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-a-...perts-suggest/

fits into context.

On the new Os issue, i wud say ppl stick to bb10. In fact i may get a leap / z30 if the web version of WhatsApp runs smoothly on it. There is a thread about configuring it in Opera browser.

Last edited by blackmass; 09-04-16 at 09:07 AM.
    09-04-16 03:47 AM
    From what I seen on BlackBerry World are many new good apps lately. Maybe we don't have all the apps from Google Play but we have plenty of alternatives. If the developers that are making a good job with native BB10 apps will make some profit with their existing apps, they will create new apps that are needed on the platform.
    I am still happy with BlackBerry 10 and I don't miss a thing.

Posted via CB10
    blackmass likes this.
    09-06-16 02:31 AM
51 123