So, I like many of you who are diehard BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS users that do not like IOS or Android are frustrated. Our OS is going the way all the other decent or great OS's buried in a graveyard. So where do we go? We don't have to go anywhere right away. Keep buying BlackBerry 10 phones until you have a alternative. But what about an alternative? Where are all the techies that are fans of BlackBerry 10 users? Someone please develop something new. Don't wait for BlackBerry to get their heads on right. We can hope, but it's not likely to happen. Someone please develop something new.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 08:49 AM
    Do you have ANY idea of what you're asking? The work to develop a new OS is incredible.
    08-26-16 08:56 AM
    Well BB10 still has a lot of life left in it if you're willing to put in the effort with sideloads, patching, workarounds etc. BlackBerry has given up on us but there's still a good core group of native developers keeping things somewhat lively.

Would be nice to have a community of BB10 users that are realistic about the situation and willing to accept and just work with what we have. Because right now it's either people who hate on BB10 and just say it's dead or delusional people who still believe there will be new devices and that a comeback is on the horizon.

Like I said, plenty of life left in the platform if your willing to work. Yeah we are stuck on android 4.3 but there's still hundreds of thousands if not millions of Android apps that work just fine. Especially if you're on a passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 09:49 AM
    I understand it would ve a lot of work. But if a few people that are of the same talents get together it's doable. It beats sitting around complaining about not liking other choices.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 04:53 PM
    A new OS would not work.
    08-26-16 05:03 PM
    I understand it would ve a lot of work. But if a few people that are of the same talents get together it's doable. It beats sitting around complaining about not liking other choices.

Posted via CB10
    Ok say you want this new OS in 5 years. I estimate a good team of 100 devs working full time. This assumes you will use an existing kernel and does not include supporting infrastructure for the dev team. You might get a good OS because they can and will benefit from the experience of others. But it won't get an ecosystem and if it did hit anyone's radar the incumbent's lawyers will sue you into oblivion. All the other existing fringe mobile OS's are in the same boat.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 08-27-16 at 01:29 PM.
    08-26-16 07:19 PM
    Why don't you just get a BlackBerry-designed BlackBerry that runs android? Something like the PRIV, designed by BlackBerry, not the DTEK50 which seems like a fine phone but is essentially an Alcatel on the outside with the 7 BlackBerry dots on the back?

I'm not holding out hope for another BlackBerry 10 phone, but the BlackBerry code named "Rome" looks like like a modified Passport Silver Edition, but it runs Android, so that's as good as it's going to get for me.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry and rubyslipperss like this.
    08-27-16 01:31 AM
    Why don't you just get a BlackBerry-designed BlackBerry that runs android? Something like the PRIV, designed by BlackBerry, not the DTEK50 which seems like a fine phone but is essentially an Alcatel on the outside with the 7 BlackBerry dots on the back?

I'm not holding out hope for another BlackBerry 10 phone, but the BlackBerry code named "Rome" looks like like a modified Passport Silver Edition, but it runs Android, so that's as good as it's going to get for me.

Posted via CB10
    The Dtek50 has the same housing of the Alcatel... That's about it regarding the similarities! The hardware and OS are both modified!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 12:43 PM
    So, I like many of you who are diehard BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS users that do not like IOS or Android are frustrated. Our OS is going the way all the other decent or great OS's buried in a graveyard. So where do we go? We don't have to go anywhere right away. Keep buying BlackBerry 10 phones until you have a alternative. But what about an alternative? Where are all the techies that are fans of BlackBerry 10 users? Someone please develop something new. Don't wait for BlackBerry to get their heads on right. We can hope, but it's not likely to happen. Someone please develop something new.

Posted via CB10
    An operating system takes years of development and testing to make and we are not even talking of funds yet.
    A few other ways r available but either hav security problems (user installed runtime) or require large amounts of money (porting of apps done by the company).
    I hav never used a bb but most probably i will get a hand me down classic, that will at least satisfy my whim of having used a bb.
    I plan to go for the argon / mercury later on.
    Your best best wud be to buy the Turing phone. Its somewhat like bb10, the Sailfish OS. But it is expensive like the galaxy s7 etc.
    Most Android apps r supported.

Or as the other person suggested go for the rome SE, and wait for a complete blackberry skin to hide the Android os from you. Feel just like u r on bb10

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-27-16 12:59 PM
    Let's everyone not forget that whether a new OS is commercially or privately developed it still has to have hardware to run it, and one of BlackBerry's pros is the software is coded to boot and run only on hardware specifically designed to run it. Unless, of course, everyone is on board with rooting an Android and slapping a ROM on it.
    08-27-16 04:39 PM
    Well, as long as there are secure options (not necessarily BlackBerry 10) , it'll be ok. At the end of the day, BlackBerry Android ticks the security box so that's ok.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-27-16 04:43 PM
    Another option that beats sitting around complaining is to come to grips with the fact that BB10 is slowly becoming obselete. If It's no longer working for you, then now is the time to seriously consider investigating the other available OSs that exist today and are being regularly updated.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    08-27-16 06:33 PM
    Or as the other person suggested go for the rome SE, and wait for a complete blackberry skin to hide the Android os from you. Feel just like u r on bb10

^^^ This. You'd have better luck getting a group of like minded individuals willing to invest in an Android Launcher that replicates BB10 features and functionality.
    08-27-16 08:20 PM
    Trapper, if you are willing to sugar daddy the project, I'll be happy to head it up. Not that I have any coding skills, but I am a pro at spending other people's money.
    08-28-16 06:03 AM
    The Dtek50 has the same housing of the Alcatel... That's about it regarding the similarities! The hardware and OS are both modified!
    The software certainly is different, but the only hardware that is different is the back cover. I know some would like to believe otherwise, but it simply isn't true.
    08-28-16 11:35 AM
    The DTEK 50 chipset is hard coded with BlackBerry security codes. The CPU is down clocked to reduce heat. I am not certain if the ear buds that come with it are any different. The BlackBerry ear buds are fantastic.
    08-28-16 11:46 AM
    Not worried about the future. BB10 will be good for the next couple years..

08-30-16 11:25 AM
    Not worried about the future. BB10 will be good for the next couple years..

More than likely, much longer than that. My 8330 is still going strong.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    08-30-16 06:11 PM
    More than likely, much longer than that. My 8330 is still going strong.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    You can't say that with certainty.
    There could be a serious security issue discovered immediately after 10.3.4 is released.
    If the sustaining team is no longer there to patch it BB10 is hamstrung.
    08-30-16 06:17 PM
    I'm sure I'll be ok with BB10 for at least a couple of years.

When the time comes to leave BB10, I have no idea what I'll do.
    Not interested in an Android device (even if it is made by BlackBerry) and iOS is not to my liking.

Hopefully something crazy happens go give us another option between now and that time lol
    One can dream of BlackBerry hardware on an awesome OS (that BlackBerry owns and controls the roadmap for) can still be an option down the road.

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    08-30-16 06:45 PM
    I'm sure I'll be ok with BB10 for at least a couple of years.

When the time comes to leave BB10, I have no idea what I'll do.
    Not interested in an Android device (even if it is made by BlackBerry) and iOS is not to my liking.

Hopefully something crazy happens go give us another option between now and that time lol
    One can dream of BlackBerry hardware on an awesome OS (that BlackBerry owns and controls the roadmap for) can still be an option down the road.

So you will run bb10 with a serious unpatched vulnerability?
    08-30-16 06:48 PM
    So you will run bb10 with a serious unpatched vulnerability?
    Working under the assumption that the platform will receive those types of 'critical' updates during that time since there are still BB10 devices being sold now which they'd need to support in order to keep that 'security' reputation for the BlackBerry brand in Android endeavors.

08-30-16 06:55 PM
    Working under the assumption that the platform will receive those types of 'critical' updates during that time since there are still BB10 devices being sold now which they'd need to support in order to keep that 'security' reputation for the BlackBerry brand in Android endeavors.

I am working under the assumption that after 10.3.4 you won't get anything but an IVR and some "wellness".
    08-30-16 07:27 PM
    The only other OS I find natural to use is Windows. I know some will chuckle; heck, many will howl w laughter - Most of us use Windows as a computer OS and it's second nature to utilise. The thing I like about Win10 is that, with the same I'D and password, I can sign into my cell or my laptop or tablet or tower and have the same access to data and identity. As long as they can maintain security, I like that idea. The EOLed BlackBerry Blend gave the closest to that idea.

All that said, I do keep a light burning in the window for the OS update(s) and hardware to continue. I've been doing this for too long now to have to change.
    08-30-16 07:33 PM
    OP, BlackBerry and Microsoft spent BILLIONS on their mobile OSes, and even they could not generate traction or build an ecosystem.

What is your master plan to do better than that?
    08-30-16 07:34 PM
51 123