BBOS didn't have a road map but did get new features. A road map is nice for developers and users but doesn't get BlackBerry anything except flak if they have to delay something. There is no law that says a company has to publish a road map. No road map means they aren't telling us what the future is. That leaves us free to speculate, but be honest with yourself and others by admitting it is speculation.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    Can BlackBerry afford to encourage FUD right now? I think not.

But the even bigger question is does BlackBerry really think they can "make it big" going Android when so many others that are more well-established tried and failed in comparison to Samsung? Naive at best.

It would be less risky of a business decision if they sat down and finally decided...hey...we're going to finally actually properly advertise this Z30 successor we should make.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-22-15 11:57 AM
    For someone who never owned a BlackBerry before bb10, os10 is wonderful compared to the androids I had before. From the battery life to the keyboards to the hub etc etc. I didn't buy a BlackBerry prior to that because android had more to offer than os7 in terms of Web browsing and media. Probably still got its lil bot **** kicked on ease of communication. Android has always sucked there. Just because 10 isn't exactly like 7 and the camera isn't the best out there sure as hell doesn't make me or anyone else a delusional fan boy just because I'm happy with the os. I still stand by what I said earlier. Based on how os10 and my phone have worked from day one and how they still work for me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BlackBerry right now. Even if it goes away, my phone will still work until I need to replace it. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now I'm satisfied with my BlackBerry. That doesn't make me delusional.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 11:57 AM
    Is this you finally admitting you're spreading FUD?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 01:38 PM

But the even bigger question is does BlackBerry really think they can "make it big" going Android when so many others that are more well-established tried and failed in comparison to Samsung? Naive at best.

It would be less risky of a business decision if they sat down and finally decided...hey...we're going to finally actually properly advertise this Z30 successor we should make.

The only FUD I see is generated by people who don't represent BlackBerry. There is no real change in the amount, or quality of FUD mongering since the iPhone came out.

If you are going to discuss what BlackBerry thinks that they can achieve by releasing an Android phone you are going to have to show me a statement from someone official at BlackBerry that they are going to release an Android phone. When you can do that I will be happy to discuss it. Until then you can speculate, I can speculate and all we have is speculation. Some people obviously enjoy that, I don't really have time.

Or the consumer can finally sit down and read the statements that say BlackBerry is focusing on enterprise and then go look at their advertising in that space and decide if it is, or is not successful in that space. The one that they are trying to succeed in. While they are at it they can do some research and realize that BlackBerry only became successful in the consumer space because there was no one else in that space. Once the iPhone came out people left in droves because they don't want BlackBerrys, they want Androids and iPhones.

We can argue if RIM should have pursued those customers or not. There is a very good book on the subject. But that is water under the bridge. A lot of people on CB seem to think that they can only succeed if they come out with an Android phone. This is more speculation. We will only know if the do and then succeed or fail.

We can also speculate on if they can succeed by concentrating on software and services and making BB10 phones for those few people who want them. But what is the point of that. They will do what they are going to do however we speculate and my Z10 will continue to work just fine.

I find it much more relaxing to wait and see. BlackBerry will continue even if the handset division dies, or switches to Android. The whole smartphone business model isn't likely to survive the IoT sea change that is coming. Im confident I can get enough BB10 phones to live through the change.

08-22-15 01:40 PM
    BBOS didn't have a road map but did get new features. A road map is nice for developers and users but doesn't get BlackBerry anything except flak if they have to delay something. There is no law that says a company has to publish a road map. No road map means they aren't telling us what the future is. That leaves us free to speculate, but be honest with yourself and others by admitting it is speculation.

Sounds like we've had similar experiences, that is exactly what I was thinking. All the road maps I've been given have had delays. It only pissed me off.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    08-22-15 03:46 PM
    The only FUD I see is generated by people who don't represent BlackBerry. There is no real change in the amount, or quality of FUD mongering since the iPhone came out.

If you are going to discuss what BlackBerry thinks that they can achieve by releasing an Android phone you are going to have to show me a statement from someone official at BlackBerry that they are going to release an Android phone. When you can do that I will be happy to discuss it. Until then you can speculate, I can speculate and all we have is speculation. Some people obviously enjoy that, I don't really have time.

Or the consumer can finally sit down and read the statements that say BlackBerry is focusing on enterprise and then go look at their advertising in that space and decide if it is, or is not successful in that space. The one that they are trying to succeed in. While they are at it they can do some research and realize that BlackBerry only became successful in the consumer space because there was no one else in that space. Once the iPhone came out people left in droves because they don't want BlackBerrys, they want Androids and iPhones.

We can argue if RIM should have pursued those customers or not. There is a very good book on the subject. But that is water under the bridge. A lot of people on CB seem to think that they can only succeed if they come out with an Android phone. This is more speculation. We will only know if the do and then succeed or fail.

We can also speculate on if they can succeed by concentrating on software and services and making BB10 phones for those few people who want them. But what is the point of that. They will do what they are going to do however we speculate and my Z10 will continue to work just fine.

I find it much more relaxing to wait and see. BlackBerry will continue even if the handset division dies, or switches to Android. The whole smartphone business model isn't likely to survive the IoT sea change that is coming. Im confident I can get enough BB10 phones to live through the change.

Richard Buckley, voice of reason. That's a rarity around here.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    08-22-15 03:49 PM

The whole smartphone business model isn't likely to survive the IoT sea change that is coming.
    You accuse me of speculating? THAT is the most speculative, absurd thing I've heard on any tech forum.

I OT aka refrigerators, microwaves, and your front door lock with Internet are going to render smartphones unneeded? The smartphone, if anything, becomes even more important to manage ones IOT...

I don't know where you get your ideas from, all due respect.

08-22-15 05:28 PM
    Richard Buckley, voice of reason. That's a rarity around here.

Posted via CB10
    More like voice of Denial to me. Ignoring all evidence of writing on the wall... playing ostrich.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    08-22-15 05:31 PM
    More like voice of Denial to me. Ignoring all evidence of writing on the wall... playing ostrich.
    BlackBerry is a company I'm just about done with.

They EOL BB10 and they think I'm stupid enough to embrace their Android skin with open arms?

How long before they realize that isn't working either and they 86 new development for that which will be even more catastrophic because then early adopters will be using an unsecure Android phone with a no-longer-supported skin which likely means BlackBerry won't update the Android version underneath it either.

That's why there's really no way I'd buy an Android skinned phone from BlackBerry. If they pull the plug on that, it will make it truly a bad phone to own even worse than them pulling the plug on BlackBerry 10.

Bluenoser63 and Alain_A like this.
    08-22-15 05:34 PM
    BlackBerry is a company I'm just about done with.
    Nice, CrackBerry community too I hope ?
    We'll see you back when the next BB10 or BB11 phone will be released

I'm kidding ! Wait and see though, stop speculating, or worth trying to enforce your though on us as facts
    tjseaman likes this.
    08-22-15 06:08 PM

Not having a road map also prevents developers from knowing new features to test their apps for, but if BlackBerry is telling to go elsewhere to develop, no need for a road map.
    08-22-15 06:25 PM
    You accuse me of speculating? THAT is the most speculative, absurd thing I've heard on any tech forum.

I OT aka refrigerators, microwaves, and your front door lock with Internet are going to render smartphones unneeded? The smartphone, if anything, becomes even more important to manage ones IOT...

I don't know where you get your ideas from, all due respect.

You have a very narrow view of what IoT can be about. The iPhone, as Jobs said was putting the Internet in your pocket. IoT is about putting the Internet in everything else. Not just your door locks and refrigerators.

You are right it is speculation, but it is a course forecast based not on what one company might do with one product over the course of a month. If is what a disruptive technology can do over the course of years.

The only reason smartphones exist is that by combining the computing power of a PDA with the communications mobility of a phone a new product and service industry was born. When you no longer need the phone part to connect the PDA to the Internet what happens to the smartphone industry? If your smart watch of other wearable doesn't need for sync through your phone, tablet or computer, but syncs directly to the cloud what happens to that industry? If you want to engage in speculation, that is the kind of speculation that you should engage in. Given the current state of technology, the number of brilliant and motivated people in the field, what does the the world look like in 5 years or 50 years?

Thirty years ago I told a co-worker that in 50 years we wouldn't be driving cars any more. He reacted the same way you did, but here we are with self driving cars on the road and still 20 to go. Don't underestimate the power of Moore's Law.

08-22-15 06:50 PM
    I have been around tech a long time. The first computer programs I wrote in school went into an Apple ] [ with a punch card reader. I don't want the internet in my microwave, thermostat, or door locks.

Someday I may end up back on a land line with a rotary dial phone.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, elfabio80 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    08-22-15 11:44 PM
    Not having a road map also prevents developers from knowing new features to test their apps for, but if BlackBerry is telling to go elsewhere to develop, no need for a road map.
    I am pretty sure that those all the 20 BB10 developers are really angry right now.
    08-23-15 04:54 AM
    For all the complaints about bb10, it's the best communication tool out there. There is nothing that compares with the Hub. The interface Makes Sense and isn't a CF like droid. The integration of social media works great. Tons of droid apps and more that you can get working easily if you need them. BlackBerry Assistant is running great and is well integrated for work.
    If you like a keyboard, the Passport is the way to go. Having 10 thumbs precludes me so I will continue to enjoy the amazing virtual keyboard on my Z30. I keep trying to find stuff I'm missing out on by sticking with . Z30 and I keep coming up empty. I enjoy Google now on my nexus 7 (can't beat the vast Google database of voice recognition and search engine) but it really isn't as well integrated into the device as BlackBerry assistant)

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 07:03 AM
    I have been around tech a long time. The first computer programs I wrote in school went into an Apple ] [ with a punch card reader. I don't want the internet in my microwave, thermostat, or door locks.

Someday I may end up back on a land line with a rotary dial phone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe they even support rotary phones anymore, but I understand your sentiment. I've actually considered getting a landline (not VoIP but real copper/fiber) again, myself.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-23-15 09:08 AM
    Not having a dev road map doesn't leave out the possibility of new features. There was no road map when 10.3.2 came out and we did get some new features.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Ladies and gentlemen, for the sake of sanity read this
    10.3.2 only really had BlackBerry Protect which they had to apply with some of the new anti-theft laws coming on some countries. And they added Amazon. The rest was tweaks and GUI changes.

Having a road map goes to the heart and soul of the OS. It exposes the framework of the OS. Apple and Google both produce road maps on a regular basis to tell developers and users where the OS is going. As of yesterday, BlackBerry removed the road map. What does that tell you. No road map, no future.
    I expect Chen's BlackBerry to do whatever it takes to be stable, profitable, and successful. If that requires phasing out BB10 in favor of a different mobile OS then that's what they should do.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    One year ago I was the typical BB7OS pessimist. In my opinion BB10 lacked the speed and functionality of the BB7. I was also among many that wanted 3gb of RAM on the Classic. Having the Classic since launch I have learned to work around the lack of hardware, much like I did with the Bold 9900. The recent updates to BB10.3.2.2xxx has brought the OS to beyond usable and now enjoyable.

After acceptance of the BB10 OS now they are changing to a BlackBerry/Droid OS. Logic tells me BB10 as we know today will be abandon just like BB7 or any updates will just throwing us a bone. It is going to take hardware like what the PassPort has to even consider updates of the Blackberry/Droid OS. 2gb will not be enough for this new OS. Leaving all BlackBerry devices except the PassPort high and dry.

Friday I set up the return of my ATT Classic and all the accessories. I did this to justify buying a P9983, but after reading about the Slider's OS I made the above conclusion. So I cancelled the order and bought a Q5 instead. Don't want to get stuck with an expensive P9983 if the phone's hardware will be obsolete when the new OS comes out.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I don't see how future updated OS's will take less memory.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-23-15 at 04:51 PM.
    Soulstream likes this.
    08-23-15 12:53 PM
    Agreed, he didn't say it in those words, my apologies.

But what he is saying there doesn't sound like he'll ditch BlackBerry 10 in the end. BlackBerry is focused on security and BlackBerry 10 is certified like no other way OS. He can secure Android and iOS to some extent, but not all of it. That's where BlackBerry 10 comes in. It could mean BlackBerry 10 will continue as enterprise only, but that strategy will cost BlackBerry some customers as well.

Just my opinion based on my own knowledge and experience.

Posted via CB10
    You completely made up when Chen said to suit your own fantasy.

Also, please tell me you do know that without being on a BES, BlackBerry 10 is no more secure than any other platform, right? Really, I trust you know that when you sound off about BlackBerry security? Please tell me that you know and acknowledge that.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    08-23-15 06:02 PM

Also, please tell me you do know that without being on a BES, BlackBerry 10 is no more secure than any other platform, right? Really, I trust you know that when you sound off about BlackBerry security? Please tell me that you know and acknowledge that.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. Even without BES, BlackBerry devices are still inherently more secure. No one has been able to crack the signing keys to allow unauthorized code to run on a BlackBerry device. This alone makes it more secure than Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    08-23-15 07:32 PM
    The calendar entries go back years. You need too set up your calendar for all days, not the standard 30 days. So don't say BlackBerry did not fix things over 3years, you have not explored you OS to find out it did. BlackBerry can put the features in but cannot correct user errors.

Note: The all days work for my office Outlook and my personal Outlook.com account. They even repopulate after wipes/upgrades. (then too you must set up account with desired days back you want instead of 30 day standard)

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 07:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Right, fantasy. I'm not even gonna argue. The future will bring what it will bring.
    08-24-15 02:17 AM
    Right, fantasy. I'm not even gonna argue. The future will bring what it will bring.
    So you acknowledge that he didn't say this in any way whatsoever?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 06:08 PM
    The calendar entries go back years. You need too set up your calendar for all days, not the standard 30 days. So don't say BlackBerry did not fix things over 3years, you have not explored you OS to find out it did. BlackBerry can put the features in but cannot correct user errors.

Note: The all days work for my office Outlook and my personal Outlook.com account. They even repopulate after wipes/upgrades. (then too you must set up account with desired days back you want instead of 30 day standard)

Posted via CB10
    No they don't. It's 29 days on the native BlackBerry calendar. The calendar that I sync with my iCal on my computer.
    I don't use Outlook. That's a Microsoft appN not the native calendar app that comes with the phone.
    Next!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 10:56 PM
    Thor said at the launch of Z10 that BlackBerry was just as secure as any other phone like ios and google
    08-24-15 11:00 PM
    No they don't. It's 29 days on the native BlackBerry calendar. The calendar that I sync with my iCal on my computer.
    I don't use Outlook. That's a Microsoft appN not the native calendar app that comes with the phone.
    Next!

Posted via CB10

Future of BlackBerry OS-img_20150825_000733.png
    Next!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-24-15 11:07 PM
106 1234 ...