Hello everyone, I have been thinking about getting one of dem 'Berries but lately I read more and more comments where people say that BB will switch to android. Will BB really abandon their OS? I currently have android phone and Im sick of it and need to rid of it asap but I dont want to move to yet another android phone...
    08-21-15 12:34 PM
    May be this is marketing trick from BlackBerry, let's wait and see, I think BlackBerry os 10 is great os and they will not leave it easy. May. Be they will merge it with customised version of Android, I mean to replace blackberry run time with stable version of Android, this will give BlackBerry the security and the apps gap solution, hope BlackBerry software engineers will work on that.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 12:40 PM
    Hello everyone, I have been thinking about getting one of dem 'Berries but lately I read more and more comments where people say that BB will switch to android. Will BB really abandon their OS? I currently have android phone and Im sick of it and need to rid of it asap but I dont want to move to yet another android phone...
    I plan to keep my Z30 for as long as I can. Best phone I ever owned and I have a stack of all four major platforms. They will still support what they have for a long time to come, but expect bug fixes only. As I said, I have three Z30's, two still in the box as a hedge for the future.

All I need is a phone to make calls, browse the web and get all my emails, texts, etc. I don't use social networking as I have better things to do.
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-21-15 12:42 PM
    In JC's interview with BlackBerry, he clearly said that BlackBerry 10 is here to stay because of its unmatched security. I don't think BlackBerry 10 is going anywhere as long as BlackBerry is positioning themselves as security experts.

Posted via CB10
    antonrr likes this.
    08-21-15 12:55 PM
    In JC's interview with BlackBerry, he clearly said that BlackBerry 10 is here to stay because of its unmatched security. I don't think BlackBerry 10 is going anywhere as long as BlackBerry is positioning themselves as security experts.

Posted via CB10
    When did he say that?
    08-21-15 01:25 PM
    When did he say that?
    Check the video at the bottom on http://cnb.cx/1UTCUqk

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:31 PM
    I just watched it (on my phone while on the bus) and I havent heard him say anything like that.. maybe I missed it, at what time did he say it?
    08-21-15 02:15 PM
    BlackBerry is going to sell in near future.
    08-21-15 02:19 PM
    Check the video at the bottom on A Blackberry-Android phone?

Posted via CB10
    He never said BlackBerry 10 was here to stay.
    08-21-15 02:30 PM
    He never said BlackBerry 10 was here to stay.
    Agreed, he didn't say it in those words, my apologies.

But what he is saying there doesn't sound like he'll ditch BlackBerry 10 in the end. BlackBerry is focused on security and BlackBerry 10 is certified like no other way OS. He can secure Android and iOS to some extent, but not all of it. That's where BlackBerry 10 comes in. It could mean BlackBerry 10 will continue as enterprise only, but that strategy will cost BlackBerry some customers as well.

Just my opinion based on my own knowledge and experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 03:22 PM
    Agreed, he didn't say it in those words, my apologies.

But what he is saying there doesn't sound like he'll ditch BlackBerry 10 in the end. BlackBerry is focused on security and BlackBerry 10 is certified like no other way OS. He can secure Android and iOS to some extent, but not all of it. That's where BlackBerry 10 comes in. It could mean BlackBerry 10 will continue as enterprise only, but that strategy will cost BlackBerry some customers as well.

Just my opinion based on my own knowledge and experience.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 will continue to be sold. Just be aware that the OS won't get new features. It will be a static product.
    08-21-15 03:33 PM
    He never mentions BlackBerry 10. I'd be curious if anyone can point us to a video where he actually mentions the OS by name. I think he's actually said "Android" more times then he has said "Blackberry 10"
    idhbar likes this.
    08-21-15 03:42 PM
    BB10 will continue to be sold. Just be aware that the OS won't get new features. It will be a static product.
    Not having a dev road map doesn't leave out the possibility of new features. There was no road map when 10.3.2 came out and we did get some new features.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    miker476 likes this.
    08-21-15 03:42 PM
    Most devices around the world are currently using OS 10.3.1.2576

There is an expected update coming in Sept / Oct which will provide devices with OS 10.3.2.2717

Then early next year there will be a OS 10.3.3.xxxx update. That's as far as we know for now. I doubt BlackBerry would just drop its OS that it's been working on for many years (Pre & Post release)

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 02:58 AM
    Bluenoser speaks the truth.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-22-15 04:33 AM
    Not having a dev road map doesn't leave out the possibility of new features. There was no road map when 10.3.2 came out and we did get some new features.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Ladies and gentlemen, for the sake of sanity read this
    08-22-15 04:36 AM
    If BlackBerry OS stays I'm sure they will add new features if not...why to stay?

Posted via CB10
    7onZ likes this.
    08-22-15 05:00 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    10.3.2 only really had BlackBerry Protect which they had to apply with some of the new anti-theft laws coming on some countries. And they added Amazon. The rest was tweaks and GUI changes.

Having a road map goes to the heart and soul of the OS. It exposes the framework of the OS. Apple and Google both produce road maps on a regular basis to tell developers and users where the OS is going. As of yesterday, BlackBerry removed the road map. What does that tell you. No road map, no future.
    08-22-15 05:42 AM
    Perhaps I am one of the few who uses the device as a phone first and then a communications tool with little to no use for the pop culture apps and games however when I look at what BlackBerry may or may not do with the system it is nice knowing that what is here works and functions better, for me, than the other options, so I hope our BB10 developers stick to it and continue to provide strong features as they are needed for us users of this system and I will continue to buy each one that enhances this well refined, pocket sized interface into the digital world with a physical keyboard. Quality over quantity and usefulness over newness, works for many happy people but it may not sell well for big businesses with consumers as fuel.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 and David Tyler like this.
    08-22-15 07:30 AM
    BlackBerry Passport is your option.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 08:31 AM
    I expect Chen's BlackBerry to do whatever it takes to be stable, profitable, and successful. If that requires phasing out BB10 in favor of a different mobile OS then that's what they should do.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    08-22-15 08:54 AM
    Well I'll put it like this. I switched to Verizon 2 years ago, and ordered a z10 when I did. I wanted to try a BlackBerry really bad. I went home and started reading up so that I could get set up without hassle. When I did that I got a lot of help topics, but I also got a ton of BlackBerry is dead, BlackBerry is selling to the highest bidder, BlackBerry is being sold in peices, the fall of BlackBerry, type articles. Scared me so I called and cancelled the BlackBerry and got a Droid. Bought a z10 off contract 3 months later. Bought a z30 3 months after that. I'm still using my z30, my oldest daughter is using the z10, my youngest daughter has a z10 of her own. My mother has one. Long story short, if you want one, get one. Even if BlackBerry 10 is phased out you can still use a great os for the life of a good phone. I don't regret anything about what I just told him except buying the Droid to start with.

Posted via CB10
    mundo472 likes this.
    08-22-15 09:06 AM
    Exactly how I feel. BB10 is still good, at least for a another 12 months until my (final) contract expires.

This gives enough time to shake out the new droid berry, or perhaps the Blackphone, or the upcoming Moto Carrier-free phones. Hell I may even end my relationship with Verizon & their CDMA network.
    08-22-15 10:52 AM
    Ladies and gentlemen, for the sake of sanity read this
    10.3 was a disaster (as the many complaint threads on it, attest to).
    And OS10 in general still lacks the depth of abilities that OS7 has. OS10 is a dumbed down version of the business phone we had before
    And BlackBerry has done little to fix even the most basic of issues that OS10 had upon it's release.
    Ex.: In over 3 years, BlackBerry still hasn't fixed the Contact Group syncing and the Calendar (besides lacking visual aesthetics) still only stores entries for 29 days.

Even the camera, which has been complained about from day one, still hasn't been improved to match (forget about exceed) all other phone platforms.
    Instead we were given a semi useless feature called "Time Shift".
    Wtf are they thinking?
    There are only a few features on my Q10 that I really like and they are the reason why I haven't dumped a phone whose OS in all other aspects, has become a liability with regard to running my business.
    Overall, the minuses outweigh the pluses, making OS10 mediocre.
    BB's poor phone sales are proof that the OS isn't all that great.
    BlackBerry corp heads (and the same with the delusional fanboys) aren't capable of seeing this.
    Now, rather than both fix the problems along with bringing back the deep amount of functionality we had before and giving us a great OS, they're going to abandon the OS10 for Android, basically making it a Google phone instead of a BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 08-23-15 at 10:51 PM.
    08-22-15 11:08 AM
    10.3.2 only really had BlackBerry Protect which they had to apply with some of the new anti-theft laws coming on some countries. And they added Amazon. The rest was tweaks and GUI changes.

Having a road map goes to the heart and soul of the OS. It exposes the framework of the OS. Apple and Google both produce road maps on a regular basis to tell developers and users where the OS is going. As of yesterday, BlackBerry removed the road map. What does that tell you. No road map, no future.
    BBOS didn't have a road map but did get new features. A road map is nice for developers and users but doesn't get BlackBerry anything except flak if they have to delay something. There is no law that says a company has to publish a road map. No road map means they aren't telling us what the future is. That leaves us free to speculate, but be honest with yourself and others by admitting it is speculation.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-22-15 11:48 AM
106 123 ...