11-03-13 02:13 AM
92 ... 234
tools
    I totally agree with this. Not to mention that Thor himself said smartphones are the mobile computers of the future, so why are we still relying on desktops for backup?

Posted via CB10
    Thor probably hired drama scriptwriter to write speech for him.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 10:01 PM
    My BlackBerry Link is very smooth. My version is 1.2 .0.28.

I can do all the tasks pretty well.

Overall much improved version of BlackBerry Link.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 12:43 AM
    After spending a day this week doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 and trying Link out and then wiping and doing a clean install of Windows 7 and trying out Link, I find Link is useless in Windows 8/8.1. Too many issues which I don't have with Windows 7.

At the end of the day, for what I need it for (which is primarily music syncing), I have no issues under Windows 7 so as a result, I'm actually partitioning my hard drive so I can install both and boot to Windows 7 the few times I need to sync my BB.

A pain, yes. I don't know whose fault it is (MS or BB) but hopefully it gets fixed eventually. It's just another of those areas that the old BBOS phones/infrastructure are better than their 'replacements'. Never really had any issues with Desktop Manager...
    11-01-13 07:07 AM
    the latest BB Link 1.2.something is the worst of all creations ever. The one process called BB Link Connection Manager eats up cpu like crazy. If you have a very old rig with a single core cpu that would've rendered your system useless whenever it's running.

BB should've fired BB link programming team in their job cuts. Get a new team and release BB Link 2.0.
    You can't tow a tank with a Volkswagon...get a grip...

Trusted Member Genius
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-01-13 07:15 AM
    Am I the only one who thinks link is just fine?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, Link is awesome...always (50 times) works for me. I do maintenance on my pc a lot with CCLEANER so maybe that's why it always works...don't know why so many seem to think Link is a problem. Seems like user error or people trying to use a new program with old hardware...Black Friday is coming...get a newer computer...mine is from 2008 Black friday sale...$600...HP...Vista...Quad...2.66ghz...6GB ram...512MB video card...(all stock from 2008 except my 64 GB ssd $60)...Best of luck to all the link haters...and yes you may pm me for help or just to complain further...your choice. Peace out.
    Edit: You can probably get a pc like mine for about $250 now brand new from Best Buy. On any day...

Trusted Member Genius
    11-01-13 07:24 AM
    I like BB Link. It works as it should.

Have used Samsung PC Studio and KIES before and both were beyond awful.
    UnlimitedEra likes this.
    11-01-13 08:28 AM
    I like BB Link. It works as it should.

Have used Samsung PC Studio and KIES before and both were beyond awful.
    Windows Phone's Zune is even worse. And the most ridiculous part is, using it is the only way to transfer data from the computer or vice-versa. It doesn't show in Explorer. This is supposedly to avoid the long indexing periods that are necessary with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 03:37 PM
    I hate Link on my desktop and on my MacBook.
    It never works as it should...
    I am not alone with that.

But a friend of mine has an old 32bit Vista PC, and this is the only computer in my immediate environment, where I can reliably back up and update my Z10.
    Maybe Link prefers old 32 bit systems...

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 06:24 PM
    I agree. I hated Link. It was always taking up a core on my MacBook and always caused it to pinwheel. I'm glad that I don't have to put up with that POS anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-02-13 01:02 AM
    I agree. I hated Link. It was always taking up a core on my MacBook and always caused it to pinwheel. I'm glad that I don't have to put up with that POS anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Well, know you have to put up with some _other_ PO*.

Joking.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 01:26 AM
    Well, know you have to put up with some _other_ PO*.

Joking.

Posted via CB10
    I hate iTunes with the same passion as Link....

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 01:41 AM
    I hate Link on my desktop and on my MacBook.
    It never works as it should...
    I am not alone with that.

But a friend of mine has an old 32bit Vista PC, and this is the only computer in my immediate environment, where I can reliably back up and update my Z10.
    Maybe Link prefers old 32 bit systems...

Posted via CB10
    I have two 64 bit win 7 computers. It works fine on one. The other doesn't seem to recognize the phone right away. It may be a driver issue. I don't get bent out of shape since I have one PC where it runs fine.

I still think the program needs a tune up. The GUI is not so good.

I saw the comment about iTunes. I haven't had that on a PC in about 5 years. It started out decent but became bloated. Worse of all, it would always replace my tif reader (alternatiff).

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-02-13 04:05 AM
    I have two 64 bit win 7 computers. It works fine on one. The other doesn't seem to recognize the phone right away. It may be a driver issue. I don't get bent out of shape since I have one PC where it runs fine.

I still think the program needs a tune up. The GUI is not so good.

I saw the comment about iTunes. I haven't had that on a PC in about 5 years. It started out decent but became bloated. Worse of all, it would always replace my tif reader (alternatiff).

Posted via CB10
    You can set the default programme used for each file type.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:26 AM
    I've been very, very frustrated with BB Link. Here are a couple screen shots of what I've been dealing with every time I try to backup my Q10 (SQN100-1, 10.2.0.424) through Telus.

Frustrations with BB Link! Enough is Enough!-blackberry-q10-backup-did-not-complete.jpg
    Frustrations with BB Link! Enough is Enough!-blackberry-q10-recent-activity-backup-did-not-complete-1.jpg

Although Remote File Access worked when BB Link was first released, it hasn't worked since the first update was pushed out. I've uninstalled BB Link at least twice and I have removed my Q10 and synced it to my laptop (Windows 7, 64 bit).
    11-02-13 09:40 AM
    And for those of you who Link works, bully. Stop with the "it must be user error" or " you need to clean up your PC" comments, please. I can't get Link to recognize my phone on my work issued laptop. Not a dang thing I can do about that. My husband did get it to be recognized on his laptop, but Link is still a cumbersome system and doesn't work well. And he does web programming for a living, so I think his computer is just fine and it's not user error.
    11-02-13 03:35 PM
    Link worked fine until I updated it.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    11-02-13 06:16 PM
    How quickly they forget:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...n-hacking/all/

I could write a similar story how I got hacked via a "roundcube" exploit and a stolen credit card. Twice.

Basically, if these cloud schemes have a way to recover control via email, website security questions, etc., you are screwed.

I rather control the backups myself.

Posted via CB10
    Any data storage should have automatic encryption which is controlled by the user. Public and private key-pair encryption capability has been around for years and could be applied to cloud storage.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-03-13 02:13 AM
92 ... 234