BlackBerry Link isn't the worst program ever. I have a few nominations for that category. But is does seem to be picky. It only works reliably on one of my win7 boxes, but the one it doesn't work well on has other issues. Sometimes the phone is never found on that machine. Plug then unplug then plug. Arch. It works perfectly on the other box, well as perfect as BlackBerry Link could be.

All that said, the user interface is kind of poor. Seriously, I can see some manager saying "This is terrible, but we have to ship it." I just think the interface is so bad that it needs a total rewrite.

It works as far as backups and OS loading, but I can see a lot of users not accustomed to shall we say less than elegant open source software finding BlackBerry Link less than suitable. Basically the program looks kind of amateurish.

Posted via CB10
    I rather like the user interface, thank you very much. I think it's genius the way it's laid out. A fool could understand how it works, especially with Link's excellent Help file. It's better than Zune for WP or Link 1.0, that's for sure. I agree that it needs more advanced features though. And the interface already got a total rewrite from 1.0.

The only thing that sucks about it is its reliability (works well for me most of the time... <knock on wood>) and the fact that it takes FOREVER to open. My solution? I just never close it. Once it's running it's not a resource hog, and since I rarely actually shut down my computer it's not a problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 10:51 PM
    I rather like the user interface, thank you very much. I think it's genius the way it's laid out. A fool could understand how it works, especially with Link's excellent Help file. It's better than Zune for WP or Link 1.0, that's for sure. I agree that it needs more advanced features though. And the interface already got a total rewrite from 1.0.

The only thing that sucks about it is its reliability (works well for me most of the time... <knock on wood>) and the fact that it takes FOREVER to open. My solution? I just never close it. Once it's running it's not a resource hog, and since I rarely actually shut down my computer it's not a problem.

Posted via CB10
    Link 1.2 IS a resource hog.
    10-28-13 12:26 AM
    No issue with link here. RFA on 1.2 is as reliable as it gets. Running on an I5 Dell with 64 bit 8.1 pro. Have yet to try local backup / restore with it.

Sent from my zipaligned and deodexed own custom ROM on HTC One X
    10-28-13 12:52 AM
    Yeah, that just shows how awful link is and how unreliable it is if you have to all that.
    Bring back BlackBerry Protect. That app was gold.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah come to think of it protect used to allow some sort of online back up ya?

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    10-28-13 12:53 AM
    I have personally not had issues. But I think the interface is laid out terribly.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-28-13 12:54 AM
    The bobos at BlackBerry thought it would be cool to write it in Adobe AIR.
    10-28-13 12:54 AM
    The latest version of Link is working reasonably well for me.

It syncs music OK (I keep a couple of separate playlists in iTunes just for my BlackBerry) but it's a little annoying for syncing photos. I'm not sure what the difference between "sync to" and "copy to" is, and with the way I have photos organized on my PC it's hard to copy them into NEW albums on my phone. (I might have a few dozen photos in a folder on the PC, but I might only want a few photos from that folder, plus a few others from a different folder all copied to one album on my phone).

The backup seems to work OK, the two-way Outlook sync is limited (no manual approve/deny options, it's all or nothing).

The Remote File Access never ever seems to work for me. Once in a blue moon my phone will show the Desktop PC as online and give me a folder listing, but most of the time it either shows it as offline or doesn't return a folder list.
    10-28-13 01:06 AM
    Is it possible not to have all the media thumbnails on the screen?

10-28-13 05:14 AM
    I've had issues with Link backups/restores. I've switched to Sachesi (http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/) for those needs. It's lightweight, dependable, uses the same .bbb format, and also handles all my side-loading needs (no developer mode required).

Might be worth a shot.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-28-13 07:06 AM
    I t seems pretty obvious to me that you didn't shout at it loud enough , I suggest a Carrot and stick approach but do not bother with the carrot.
    Give the PC a good whack too because they really need discipline or they get unruly.
    10-28-13 07:18 AM
    The latest version of Link is working reasonably well for me.

It syncs music OK (I keep a couple of separate playlists in iTunes just for my BlackBerry) but it's a little annoying for syncing photos. I'm not sure what the difference between "sync to" and "copy to" is, and with the way I have photos organized on my PC it's hard to copy them into NEW albums on my phone. (I might have a few dozen photos in a folder on the PC, but I might only want a few photos from that folder, plus a few others from a different folder all copied to one album on my phone).

The backup seems to work OK, the two-way Outlook sync is limited (no manual approve/deny options, it's all or nothing).

The Remote File Access never ever seems to work for me. Once in a blue moon my phone will show the Desktop PC as online and give me a folder listing, but most of the time it either shows it as offline or doesn't return a folder list.
    If all you're looking for is selective syncing/copying, don't use Link. Use Explorer. The difference between "Sync to" and "Copy to" is that Copy to will just copy the selected files/folder to the computer and Sync to will setup a sync relationship so syncing is done automatically. By default wireless wi-fi syncing is enabled, though the phone has to be connected to the same wi-fi connection as the computer and be connected to a power source. It works perfectly for me now, though it wouldn't work at first.

TL;DR: Use Windows Explorer instead for copying pictures/files.
    TL;DR: Sync to sets up a sync relationship, Copy to does not.
    TL;DR: Automatic wireless syncing is great.

PS I thing Bluetooth sync works too.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:29 AM
    I t seems pretty obvious to me that you didn't shout at it loud enough , I suggest a Carrot and stick approach but do not bother with the carrot.
    Give the PC a good whack too because they really need discipline or they get unruly.
    That only works in Archie comics. Brute force never works. More often resigning into Link or restarting the phone/computer is more successful.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:31 AM
    Is it possible not to have all the media thumbnails on the screen?

Switch to Details view. Top right of the window.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:31 AM
    As for RFA not working, turning off RFA on the phone (Settings > BlackBerry Link > toggle switch) then on again usually works. Close and reopen the File Manager Active Frame.

Oh, and your computer has to be on. DUH!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:34 AM
    Link 1.2 IS a resource hog.
    Not really. It uses maybe (according to Task Manager) 150 000 kb memory and <2% CPU on my PC, which is less than a browser window with three tabs open.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:38 AM
    I never used BlackBerry Link without becoming frustrated. It worked so poorly for me that I stopped using it completely, uninstalled it and vowed never tl reinstall it again. Which also meant that I was no longer able to update my BB10 phones because they were all developer devices on WiFi only. Link is one of the reasons I finally sold off all of my BlackBerry 10 devices.

It is 2013, software shouldn't have to be installed on a PC for managing a smartphone. It just doesn't make sense. I've never owned a smartphone that requires owning a PC other than BlackBerry smartphones. With my Android phones, I can perform full device backups, transfer the backup to drop box and if I ever need to restore, I do it all from the phone itself. That's the way it should be. If your platform requires a USB cable and port for something as simple as backups and restores, then your platform is years behind.

BlackBerry promising "mobile computing", and claiming that "we won't need to carry a laptop anymore". Ha, let's see them make their mobile devices actually work without a PC first. How can their BlackBerry 10 phones replace a PC when you can't even manage the phone without using a PC? Doesn't make much sense.
    10-28-13 07:42 AM
    I've had issues with Link backups/restores. I've switched to Sachesi (http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/) for those needs. It's lightweight, dependable, uses the same .bbb format, and also handles all my side-loading needs (no developer mode required)

Might be worth a shot.
    I may give this a try, but I was giving Link updates a shot before I gave up on it. The software architect for Link does deserve a good *** kick'n.
    10-28-13 07:43 AM
    RFS is weird in my case, because as long as Link is open on the PC it works fine. When closing Link on the PC Or just restarting it, which means Link is just running it's services in the background, nine out if ten times RFA doesn't work. It DOES show the PC to be connected, but the file list scan times out and returns a blank screen.

Another thing is that after updating to 10.2 is that there is three more PC's listed on the phone and I have no idea who they are. Three Desktop-xxxx entries and deleting them will bring them back after rebooting the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:48 AM
    I've never had any issues with link and based on what I read in the forums, I hope I never do.

Sachesi is an excellent alternative for backups and restores. If you're transferring files just go through my computer.

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    10-28-13 07:55 AM
    I have that same issue ever since upgrading to BB Link 10.2
    Ironically 10.2 was supposed to fix remote access bugs in 10.1 but I never had any issues with it in 10.1
    10-28-13 08:01 AM
    Another thing is that after updating to 10.2 is that there is three more PC's listed on the phone and I have no idea who they are. Three Desktop-xxxx entries and deleting them will bring them back after rebooting the phone.
    Yea I got that too.....
    10-28-13 08:08 AM
    Not really. It uses maybe (according to Task Manager) 150 000 kb memory and <2% CPU on my PC, which is less than a browser window with three tabs open.

Posted via CB10
    Have you really checked BBlink component process called Blackberry Link Connection Manager? That parasite literally eats one cpu on its own alone.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:09 AM
    Doesn't sync tasks. I couldn't believe it. Link and parts of their OS10 are still in their infancy.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:25 AM
    Doesn't sync tasks. I couldn't believe it. Link and parts of their OS10 are still in their infancy.

Posted via CB10
    Sync your tasks with your email provider (eg Outlook.com or Gmail) and sync Office Outlook on your computer with your email provider. That way everything is instant.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:48 AM
    Have you really checked BBlink component process called Blackberry Link Connection Manager? That parasite literally eats one cpu on its own alone.

Posted via CB10
    It's hungry for sure.

10-28-13 09:54 AM
92 1234