Introducing the BlackDroid OS
    11-07-13 10:26 PM
    4 jelly beam download for BlackBerry
    11-07-13 10:28 PM
    Hmmm BlackDroid

Green monster with the BlackBerry dots on its pecks lol

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 10:28 PM
    On the one hand, if BBRY pulls this off, it could be a good thing for current users. On the other hand, it does make me a bit nervous with regards to BBRY's plans for BB10.

Time will tell. At least BBRY isn't sitting pat.
    11-07-13 10:33 PM
    This would be great. BlackBerry pretty much has nothing to lose at this point.

Write your own history or history will do it for you.

Z30 playing a movie through Netflix with those speakers would be amazing.
    11-07-13 10:45 PM
    Well, the funny part is that not everybody needs android apps.
    I was excited when I read this news at first but then I thought what I would download from the play store.
    I'll likely get google maps as was praised by many android fans.
    The real thing I personally find missing on my Z10 is NFC payments from my bank and as far as I know there's no such app in play store.
    Fully understand your thought process, but bringing more apps and more importantly the mainstream most commonly used apps to the platform is and would be a very good thing for BlackBerry.
    vrud likes this.
    11-07-13 10:47 PM
    People have gotten Google Market (the pre-ICS version of Play) running on webOS using the Android compatibility layer that was just released, so there's no technical reason why this couldn't work. It involves getting the Google Apps and services framework APKs from third parties and installing them manually, though. So, I could imagine a scenario where BB10 users have to do some initial sideloading to get this stuff set up before they can start pulling stuff straight from the store. I'm skeptical that Google would allow BlackBerry to pre-load and distribute all that stuff that you have to belong to the Open Handset Alliance to get access to but I guess we'll see.

PS: use the 'like' button instead of this '+1' crap, people
    11-07-13 10:49 PM
    Did you have a convo between your z10 and your iPhone
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-07-13 11:14 PM
    This would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    Dr.Deebs likes this.
    11-07-13 11:17 PM
    I'm guessing if this were factual, the apps directly from Play would still function like a port. Meaning that we would not have the option to choose permissions, or hub integration, or long run headless without approval, etc. Or does someone see these things as being possible?
    11-07-13 11:23 PM
    Active frame is not that useful. I wouldnt mind having a static screen on active frame for android apps. AF is too small to display anything useful. Make it interactive then thats different.

Agreed.

We also have to keep in mind that native applications will still have the advantage of hardware/software specific api's, like headless capabilities and active frames. This also may help android dev's know what application blackberry user are using and encourage native applications.

Native applications are unbelievably smooth and fun to use and in the end this will be good for the consumers and may boost competition between BB dev's and Android Dev's.
    11-07-13 11:27 PM
    Definitely an interesting topic and good discussion.

It would be extremely cool to see this happen, if and when it does.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 11:32 PM
    Um... im actually pretty content with what is in bbm.... I don't really care if android does or does not come to BlackBerry but if it means the company will survive and more market share... by all means go for it.. but as long as bb10 stays and nor go full android...

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-07-13 11:33 PM
    It would mean goodbye to security. People who think this is great must have never downloaded from Google Play and all the permissions you MUST give.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR and sgt_snacks-64 like this.
    11-07-13 11:33 PM
    If this is true I really want 10.2.1 nowwwww

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 11:39 PM
    Thennn carriers have a reason to push BB10 like any other phone.
    11-07-13 11:44 PM
    Very interesting

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 11:48 PM
    As long as the Android apps will not be a huge cpu/battery hog, I am positive about such a change.
    I would still prefer native apps for many reasons so devs do not have to worry about my money, I would only use the Playstore for the same freebies I side-load now.

If this does happen, I can only hope the integration between BB10 (contacts/calendar/phone/notifications) and Android will be done properly. And that the apps will scale and scroll properly on Q10/5.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-08-13 12:01 AM
    Interesting. I would hope developers will still want to develop native apps for BB10. I mean, it would be pointless if all our apps were just Android apps. Many of my apps right now are native and it is ideal, but if those developers just say forget it get the Android version I and many other BB10 users will be missing out. I'm kind of torn at this news. I want it for the sake of keeping this company making devices I like, but I don't because I would rather not have the Android apps that aren't really made for my phone. Don't get me wrong, many ported apps have actually been ported well and are pretty decent, but the native apps have always been better. They flow with the OS.
    You win some, you lose some. I feel exactly the way you feel but it's something I would sacrifice in order for BlackBerry company to make it through this hard times.
    eddy_berry and wincyUt like this.
    11-08-13 12:05 AM
    Actually you're incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I'm not associated with the OP. I don't even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier's control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It's not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you'll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher.

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It's just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It's not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to.

This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming. The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it.

He's not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it. Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that's because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because "something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog" which translates to "you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem"

http://i.imgur.com/2A1HGCG.png
    NOTE: Brian is not my source of the information nor has he leaked anything.

I mean, go ahead and say I'm bull****ting or lying but it's no coincidence that 10.2.1 leaks have magically stopped occurring and that random people other than myself are getting the same information leaked to them where our stories match one another. The 10.2.1 builds are up to four digits now and we only have early stage full builds.
    If this comes true, it will be an amazing achievement and open up a whole new world of possibilities and bring BlackBerry 10 back in the game by eliminating the app gap. The next biggest obstacle will be repairing the brand perception and improving marketing. Then BlackBerry has a chance of making a real comeback. Hoping for the best!
    11-08-13 12:09 AM
    Having just switched from the Z10 to the Nexus 5, I have to say that apps on the runtime are nowhere close to feeling the same on Android itself. App speed is immediately noticed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-08-13 12:17 AM
    Watching with interest. If legit, this can be the biggest game changer in the history of BlackBerry.
    11-08-13 12:27 AM
    I see you're running 10.2.1.896, have you got access to all of this?

Posted via CB10
    Tried asking already lol
    11-08-13 12:30 AM
    Having just switched from the Z10 to the Nexus 5, I have to say that apps on the runtime are nowhere close to feeling the same on Android itself. App speed is immediately noticed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    Of course, the Nexus 5 is so new and powerful, it would seem like that for a user upgrading from an lower end Android device. The Nexus 5 is the top level Android phone available. The Z10 cannot compete at that level.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 12:30 AM
    Berry good news,

I think it's a good strategy. It will attract more people to BB10 OS. They'll love it and the demand for native app version will increase too.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 12:39 AM
717 ... 34567 ...