It's true tho. I actually looked up to Kris. He was the forum hero and CrackBerry Kevin is the CB leader. But then Kris decided to leave..?
    11-11-13 09:32 PM
    STFU already! I can't wait for this to come thru. I wonder what you'll say then
    Well???
    11-11-13 09:36 PM
    It's true tho. I actually looked up to Kris. He was the forum hero and CrackBerry Kevin is the CB leader. But then Kris decided to leave..?
    Never left, took a new vantage point.

It's easy to say everything will be ok and to fight for a company when your using their devices.

It shows true dedication when a phone doesn't dictate how you root for a company. It shows true dedication that I don't care what others think of my phone choice. I know personally in myself BlackBerry comes first.

I want BlackBerry to be greater. I want them to show me they have what it takes. If Tigris or any of the power house devices make it to production next year with BB10 completed and on track for the mobile computing they always talk about, then I'll invest in them again.

Until that day, they lost a device owner but not a fan. Not a advocate for the brand. I still push BB10 to certain friends and family. So for all those who like to use my device choice against me go ahead. I'll keep laughing at you for I know where I stand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    11-11-13 09:42 PM
    If I can say something, the title of the thread was altered by someone. I just uploaded the conversation and my title wasn't good I guess (original was "Info from a friend" I believe). Well anyways, this is the conversation I had, he never said it comes WITH GOOGLE PLAY. He just said you can "dl Google playstore", never said from where or how or that it's officially Google Certified.

This was a conversation just between me, him and friends. It was never intended to blow up into a large debate, fake pictures, attempts to confirm of negotiations between 2 companies and making people go crazy. Only the company knows how they got Google Playstore, no one can obviously say too much. I asked what I could, he answered what he could.

But in the end we'll have to wait and see, maybe we blew this up to the point where they make it official, or to where Google as to step in and block the ability altogether, or we may have limitations or we just have to sideload it.

I'm not sure what to think of everyone else's source. This is what he did at work and what I was told

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ekayallday; 11-11-13 at 10:46 PM.
    11-11-13 10:17 PM
    So the only thing the Play Store does is close a "app gap". So fix one issue while causing how many more?

How much longer do we have to let this company get away with sub par excuses?

They need to drop the Android Runtime all together. Because as we've all seen. There is still no incentive to go native. Take Songza for example. Still a port. Even after they said they'd build it natively.

Skype. They went as far as to upgrade their port with a port not a native app.

Again, it'll solve the gap but at what cost to those 3rd party devs working so hard to bring apps to the BB Platform natively. Take the devs behind iGrann, Whine and BlackGram for example.

Another example... Flipboard. BB was so proud to have them on the platform but again another port.

I know I'd have no incentive to develop natively for a platform that has the real version of the app I'd try to reproduce.

Even the new chive on app that was built. If you bring the Play Store to BB10, new users will only look to it for their apps. Which in turns makes those 3rd party apps obsolete.

I agree with this 100%. There really is no incentive to develop native for BlackBerry if the same code that was written for Android will run just as well on BlackBerry hardware. Why go native? For praises? Nobody does that.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:02 PM
    I agree with this 100%. There really is no incentive to develop native for BlackBerry if the same code that was written for Android will run just as well on BlackBerry hardware. Why go native? For praises? Nobody does that.

Posted via CB10
    Not true. Several apps have been built for blackberry (native) even when an Android version existed. This is because app-developers care to provide superior experience.

Why don't app developers simply make html/js based CrossPlatform apps using frameworks like PhoneGap, Titanium? Why do app developers invest time and money to build native app for each platform (instead of building cross platform app like that)?

Among many reasons, two that I'd like to point out are -
    1. Because they care about providing superior experience to their users
    2. Because it'd be easy for competing app to steal their users/customers, by simply building a native app that provides faster/smoother user experience.

In case of BlackBerry, the issue is that there are just not so many users. Market is much smaller. So, app developers don't feel like developing apps natively when an existing Android app will do.

If BlackBerry increased its marketshare (and I think if it had native Google Play access, it could sell a lot more devices), then app developers will start caring about this platform and start converting their Android ports to native built for blackberry apps. Android port is just stop-gap solution to see if it garners any interest/user-base. If they see a demand for it, they'd develop native apps too. Lest a competitor comes in and steals the cake by developing native, smoother, faster app.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    mnc76 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:12 PM
    Not true. Several apps have been built for blackberry (native) even when an Android version existed. This is because app-developers care to provide superior experience.

Why don't app developers simply make html/js based CrossPlatform apps using frameworks like PhoneGap, Titanium? Why do app developers invest time and money to build native app for each platform (instead of building cross platform app like that)?

2. Because it'd be easy for competing app to steal their users/customers, by simply building a native app that provides faster/smoother user experience.

In case of BlackBerry, the issue is that there are just not so many users. Market is much smaller. So, app developers don't feel like developing apps natively when an existing Android app will do.

If BlackBerry increased its marketshare (and I think if it had native Google Play access, it could sell a lot more devices), then app developers will start caring about this platform and start converting their Android ports to native built for blackberry apps. Android port is just stop-gap solution to see if it garners any interest/user-base. If they see a demand for it, they'd develop native apps too. Lest a competitor comes in and steals the cake by developing native, smoother, faster app.

Other than games, name me one big name app that's BFB that isn't a Port? Flipboard, Songza, Skype all ports.

Yes there are 3rd party native clients. But as a Dev, I'd just pay the 25$ to release in the play store and make money on two platforms at once with one single app instead of having to recode for native on another.

Not to mention I wouldn't have to deal with the ****ty vendor portal support from BlackBerry by going only GPlay.

dejanh likes this.
    11-11-13 11:17 PM
    Regardless, push email is push email whether it's BlackBerry or Exchange Active Sync.
    Off topic, but BlackBerry themselves and many many people who've tried legacy BlackBerry services disagree with you.
    Nothings as reliable as BlackBerry push. Certainly not whatever's offered on bb10.

On topic, I hope n4bb got this wrong. It's all well and done saying we need to encourage native developers, but bb10 has even less native useful apps than bb7. I don't want to support native devs on bb10. The apps are sub par and more expensive. I want competition for good apps. That isn't there on bb10. They know we will pay for anything and be happy for it. That leads to situations like blackgram, pay for something free on other platforms and it still doesn't work or is more buggy than most betas.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 01:34 AM
    I have to say I'm happy about this.

Most of the Android ports to BB10 run somewhat slowly compared to native apps. The interface is also (IMO) generally inferior. There's a clear inconsistency in the UI between BB10 and Android apps, and while I think the BB10 Cascades UI needs a fair bit of spit and polish (face it, it looks like DOS in many respects), I don't like having different UIs and icons for different apps. (This is one thing that bugs me about Android apps in general, inconsistency).

As Kris pointed out earlier, there would be little incentive for developers to build native BB10 apps. Not only that, not every Android app will work well (if at all) on BB10's Android runtime, leading to unhappy app customers and a support nightmare for developers.
    11-12-13 02:13 AM

Very well put! People forget that there isn't just a BB10 app gap, but a BB10 *USER* gap as well! Developers focus on platforms with the largest user bases and users want and EXPECT apps!

The truth is that as it stands in 2013, not having the popular apps on a phone is JUST AS BAD as not having email or text messaging.

And how many of us on CB love their BB10 phones but -- purely because of the lack of apps -- can't sincerely reccomended a BB10 phone to the majority of their friends? I hear this all the time, because they don't want their friends to come back and say "where is my banking app, where is Instagram?"

If BB10 had gplay this would change overnight. I mean, if diehard BB10 fans can't even reccomended a BB10 phone for lack of apps, then who will?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 11-12-13 at 02:43 AM.
    11-12-13 02:20 AM
    Off topic, but BlackBerry themselves and many many people who've tried legacy BlackBerry services disagree with you.
    Nothings as reliable as BlackBerry push. Certainly not whatever's offered on bb10.
    Many people can disagree all they want till they're blue in the face. Push is push, that's a fact, not an opinion. In all the years that I've used Exchange Active Sync, never once have I had a problem or delay with my emails being pushed, except for the usual suspects; server down or internet down. And guess what, BlackBerry had the same problems.

Case in point:

BlackBerry Alert: BlackBerry Internet Service Down! | CrackBerry.com

Heck, CrackBerry has it's own forum for BIS Service Outage:

Service Outages - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

All the old legacy users can post/say/think whatever you want, you have a right to your opinion; but lets stick to the facts, Push email is Push email; be it from BlackBerry, Exchange Active Sync or IMAP Idle.
    barnfoot likes this.
    11-12-13 03:00 AM
    Many people can disagree all they want till they're blue in the face. Push is push, that's a fact, not an opinion. In all the years that I've used Exchange Active Sync, never once have I had a problem or delay with my emails being pushed, except for the usual suspects; server down or internet down. And guess what, BlackBerry had the same problems.

Case in point:

BlackBerry Alert: BlackBerry Internet Service Down! | CrackBerry.com

Heck, CrackBerry has it's own forum for BIS Service Outage:

Service Outages - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

All the old legacy users can post/say/think whatever you want, you have a right to your opinion; but lets stick to the facts, Push email is Push email; be it from BlackBerry, Exchange Active Sync or IMAP Idle.
    Sorry, in the end this comes down to opinion, and in mine and many other's, BlackBerry push is superior to all the other options out there.
    It was a differentiating factor for legacy devices and it would still be a differentiating factor today.

You want to go off forum threads? Quick search will show you the advantages and people who miss BlackBerry email and are frustrated with the current offerings. More in depth search will show you how derided current offerings were when they were offered on others oses and BlackBerry offered a superior alternative.

Anyway, as said, it's all opinions. Please don't pass yours off as fact. Push is not push, all services are not created equal, not even active sync and imap.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 03:18 AM
    I'm foaming Samsung S4 here I come!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 03:34 AM
    http://n4bb.com/install-android-app-...kberry-10-2-1/

CatlinFD isn't wrong I guess something is happening???

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    11-12-13 03:46 AM

Fwiw, I think BlackBerry has just negated the need for Gplay and the disclaimer takes care of the legal bit. I think they've just pulled a stroke on Google and it's comforting to see such a shrewd maneuver from the company everyone has written off as dead. I did wonder if something was in the works as the Fairfax deal seemed to me to be a play for time and I didn't know for what. Maybe this is it and finally it's SHOWTIME. This is going to get interesting.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1803 O2 UK
    11-12-13 03:59 AM

Interesting. I guess BlackBerry has to deny the rumours until it's official

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    11-12-13 04:01 AM

They need an easy way to get these apks on the phone as most users won't muck around with chrome extensions etc on a pc, they want something that takes two clicks to install. The play store would have solved this.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:46 AM
    Will the current BlackBerry 10 hardware be able to run the Android apps nicely if this happens???
    Cuz the hardware specs on BlackBerry 10 devices are a lil behind I guess that doesn't affect the OS ie BlackBerry 10 but will it be able to handle the Android apps???

Just asking??

It should. I still have 2 core 1gb galaxy nexus around, and that runs apps decently.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:51 AM
    [warn]Discuss the products not the other members. Personal attacks and fighting will lead to infractions and banning. [/warn]
    11-12-13 06:30 AM
    FYI - the breaking news about APK support come from this new leak that was released a few hours ago. Also lots of new features and UI changes included. Oh, that and Instagram video upload in case you care
    Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...evices-872512/
    11-12-13 06:35 AM
    Fwiw, I think BlackBerry has just negated the need for Gplay and the disclaimer takes care of the legal bit. I think they've just pulled a stroke on Google and it's comforting to see such a shrewd maneuver from the company everyone has written off as dead.
    Stroke on Google?

Google is sitting back, while BB10 works to ensure its users become Google's products. Google wins with this.
    11-12-13 06:43 AM
    Interesting. I guess BlackBerry has to deny the rumours until it's official

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    No they don't. They could simply not respond to the question.

Did it ever occur to you that they may be denying the rumour (hello fellow Canadian?) because it's just that, only a rumour?
    11-12-13 06:44 AM
    Nope not happening, blackberry already denies this and future plans of google play coming. Instead in the new 10.2.1 leak, we will be able to install apk files from blackberry world directly
    11-12-13 06:45 AM
    FYI - the breaking news about APK support come from this new leak that was released a few hours ago. Also lots of new features and UI changes included. Oh, that and Instagram video upload in case you care
    Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...evices-872512/
    Yeah saw that thread a bit late :P

11-12-13 07:03 AM
    Stroke on Google?

Google is sitting back, while BB10 works to ensure its users become Google's products. Google wins with this.
    I meant in terms of acquiring. Apk's from sources other than Google Play. And how can users become products?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1803 O2 UK
    11-12-13 09:08 AM
717 ... 26272829