If this were indeed to become reality, what will be the point of BlackBerry World then? Just for downloading BlackBerry-made native apps? Why would any developer want to develop native app for BlackBerry anymore? Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    Cascades!!

I am pretty sure BlackBerry will be developing more and more tools over the years that won't be available on Android.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-10-13 02:36 PM
    Ugh, this thread should be used for a course on debate techniques ("how not to"). I can not believe how many people still think personal attacks, patronising behaviour and 'facts' without a proper source are the best way to win an argument.
    Then again, this is the internet...

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    SteelGreek, grover5 and Anilu7 like this.
    11-10-13 02:42 PM
    I hope this pans out, you guys can start your own thread and discuss security till the cows come home. In my limited experience with friends and relatives with larger companies, company phones are just that. Not to be used for much personal stuff and put away if on holidays. Getting the Google play store option would be great! Simple security disclaimer when downloading it would be sufficient to warn most people. Again, this is only my opinion but there will be lots of opportunity over the cong years to sell handsets as renewals come up but it is a falling margin game. If ecosystem is king and BlackBerry is heading towards being a software company, I would prefer a phone that gives me access to 2 ecosystems versus one. Oh and by the way, when Steve Jobs was running Next. Computers, they were all over platform emulation as a way to try and gain sales. Apple may have a walled garden and this type of closed system will run its course at some point and there will be a backlash. Just as we are starting to see a backlash against Facebook, Google heavy-handed play with YouTube and google+ is starting to tick people off. BBM with. A secure, non info. Sharing messaging system does have potential once the general population realizes how much info Google accumulates on each of us on a daily basis. There will be big changes over the years and just cause someone is king now doesn't mean they will be so in 5 or 10 years.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:43 PM
    You all talk about security for BB. Yet you all want the Google Play store and bash android for not being "secure". Talk about hypocrites.

Again I assuming a good 90% of you on these forums are not on BES, and since there is no more BIS for BB10 consumers, your no more secure than a Android, iOS or WP8 device.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Android is sandboxed on BlackBerry 10. It therefore does not touch BlackBerry 10/QNX code and a BlackBerry 10 device hypothetically cannot be hacked through the Android system. Perhaps the Android components can be hacked, but anyone smart enough would only have their precious details on the core BlackBerry 10 apps anyway.

BlackBerry 10 itself, without BES10, is probably not secure enough for high-level security needs, BUT, it is more secure by itself than iOS and Android, just not as secure as BES10.

Javid Gozalov, ital1 and mnc76 like this.
    11-10-13 02:53 PM
    Android is sandboxed on BlackBerry 10. It therefore does not touch BlackBerry 10/QNX code and a BlackBerry 10 device hypothetically cannot be hacked through the Android system. Perhaps the Android components can be hacked, but anyone smart enough would only have their precious details on the core BlackBerry 10 apps anyway.

BlackBerry 10 itself, without BES10, is probably not secure enough for high-level security needs, BUT, it is more secure by itself than iOS and Android, just not as secure as BES10.

thanks. You spared me a reply haha. True story.

BB10 supports gazillion languages especially with the Android sandbox integrated within QNX.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:57 PM
    BlackBerry are NOT members of the Open Handset Alliance; so how could they and Google came to an agreement to bypass it?

Also, there are plenty of people running leaked builds of 10.2.1.x and they're not 'whitlisted' nor are their BB10 devices bricked.
    Your 'argument' is moot.

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Just want to say TAT is part of the Open Headset Alliance, which is owned and operated by BlackBerry.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    SteelGreek likes this.
    11-10-13 03:06 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it.

The world is filled with devices that run Android yet cannot run the Google Play Store. Look at the Nabi 2, that is a children's tablet with hardware that basically matches the first Nexus 7. A very successful product that continues to sell very well. There are more Nabis sold than BlackBerry 10 devices.

I know several parents whom bought their kids a Nabi or Nabi 2 only to discover it can't run Google apps unless you root it. Which is easy to do on the Nabis, but the point remains. If you're Google, why let a completely irrelevant manfacuter on a completely different OS use the Google Play store, while not allowing other, more successful manufactures that actually use your OS? It just doesn't make any sense why Google would make an exception for BlackBerry. If they do, I expect to see a huge backlash from manufactures that aren't in the OHA and don't get to use Google Play.

What I think will happen is nothing new. I think BlackBerry will do what Jolla is doing. Jolla has been pestering me and other Android developers about bringing our apps to Sailfish. In their emails, they say every Android app will run, but they never mention having Google Play store. I could see BlackBerry improving their Android app compatibility much easier than I could see Google giving BlackBerry users direct Google Play access. In the end, I imagine it will be more of the same except with easier porting for Android developers and easier side loading for the pirates on BlackBerry 10.
    Again just want to say TAT is part of the OHA, and tat is a BlackBerry owned company. Not saying your wrong or right, just want to correct that statement.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    11-10-13 03:13 PM

Despite being supposedly sandboxed android apps on bb10 are able to run when closed, hence battery drain with many. Even bb10 apps can't do this. The permissions are not modifiable. And most apps are got from non legit sources.

In short, the android apps are more potentially malicious on bb10 than android.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:13 PM
    Just want to say TAT is part of the Open Headset Alliance, which is owned and operated by BlackBerry.

Finally somebody clarifying how this is possible without setting a precedent.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-10-13 03:16 PM
    That's nice mate, shame you can't read or understand very well.
    I said development time spent on bb10 should have been spent taking bis in an improved fashion to android. That's what's called a hypothetical situation, Google can help you understand that.

Android phones or Os variations can be very very secure, bes allows for secure areas of iOS and android, and the whole balance thing on bb10 allows for work and personal spaces, something that could be applied to other oses as well.
    Google it all up, I'm sure it will make sense eventually, well, maybe.

Posted via CB10
    I'm very aware of what you said. Been reading and comprehending for 30 years now. I'm pretty good at it btw.

But why would BlackBerry take the time to develop around Android, hell they have twice now built their own SECURE OS. On top of that they've found a way to implement the use of apps from another ecosystem. Your idea doesn't make sense for BlackBerry, and to give up what put them on the map is just ludicrous. Please keep in mind BIS is still being used for legacy devices, BB10 is being used in a completely different manner.

Posted via my sweet Z10 on the #1 BB10 app!
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-10-13 03:24 PM
    You do realize installing the play store is a useless endeavor, you would still need to extract the apk you download, convert it to bar then sideload it, unless BlackBerry puts a built in apk to bar conversion process, I don't see this working.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:28 PM
    The whole point of this thread/rumour is that it would allow direct .apk installs, so it would eliminate the need for converting/side-loading...
    If it is true, do you really think they would be so dumb that they would support Google Play, but not allow OTA installing?
    ...You do realize installing the play store is a useless endeavor...
    BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-10-13 03:39 PM
    I'm very aware of what you said. Been reading and comprehending for 30 years now. I'm pretty good at it btw.

But why would BlackBerry take the time to develop around Android, hell they have twice now built their own SECURE OS. On top of that they've found a way to implement the use of apps from another ecosystem. Your idea doesn't make sense for BlackBerry, and to give up what put them on the map is just ludicrous. Please keep in mind BIS is still being used for legacy devices, BB10 is being used in a completely different manner.

Posted via my sweet Z10 on the #1 BB10 app!
    If having a secure Os was all that mattered, bb7 had that accomplished.
    They wanted a more consumer friendly device set, and need android apps for that as they can't get their own.

Bringing in apps from other systems negates most advantages security wise to the consumers, hopefully you understand that.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:46 PM
    Everyone! Stop bickering about security of BlackBerry vs. Android.

BES is clearly more secure. The fact that BlackBerry devices are not open and can't load customized roms makes it more secure, until they get hacked.

Android devices controlled and locked down can have nearly or the same security. That just requires more effort. The great aspect of BlackBerry is the BES and reputation.

Bringing Google Play to BlackBerry does not instantly open BlackBerry devices to malware and viruses. Especially for the high security customers. All they have to do is lock the device down and only allow certain apps and permissions. This would include blocking Google Play altogether, if needed. They already do this.

This will help with consumer and media perception that BlackBerry isn't worth looking at due to lack of apps. This doesn't really do much for DoD and similar except that company doesn't look like a sinking ship, which is huge when purchasing a platform.

The more consumers that have and enjoy their BlackBerry experience will help push BlackBerry back to business.

This is a win-win for BlackBerry and Google.

BlackBerry sells more devices and fixes their tarnished reputation.

Google sells more apps and gets their analytics and ads to more consumer users.

This hurts Windows Phone and could slight hurt iPhone (though that's a tough task).

Consumers (though they may not know it) like fresh new devices, but won't give up the apps and core functionality. I think if 10.2.1.xxxx comes out strong and fixes a majority of the issues with the OS and brings more apps it could become a whole new day for BlackBerry.

I'm a huge BlackBerry fan and love the BB10 OS, but have a hard time recommending the devices to most people. Most would hate me without easily accessing apps they have been accustomed to or just plain need (medical apps my wife needs). But with this I could now recommend them and I would. The OS is solid enough even at 10.2.0.xxxx to recommend. Just need more apps.

Posted via CB10
    ital1, russworman, SDTRMG and 6 others like this.
    11-10-13 03:49 PM
    Again just want to say TAT is part of the OHA, and tat is a BlackBerry owned company. Not saying your wrong or right, just want to correct that statement.

@ SDTRMG, I reposted you here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...98/index3.html
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-10-13 04:24 PM
    Ok so if tat is part of it then there's no legal problems

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-10-13 04:35 PM

It makes no difference if a company owned by BlackBerry are part of the OHA, BlackBerry are not and Google will not breach the rules of the OHA which they are keen to enforce.

This has been explained in earlier posts by at least two different people.

Anilu7 likes this.
    11-10-13 05:02 PM
    forget the name of the app, but you can install it from the play store and have complete control over any apps permissions. Would easily solve that concern for anyone who had it.

Posted via CB10
    Great! Apps can modify permissions of other Apps!

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-10-13 05:21 PM
    It makes no difference if a company owned by BlackBerry are part of the OHA, BlackBerry are not and Google will not breach the rules of the OHA which they are keen to enforce.

In your mind nothing matters, but TAT is part of OHA, and activated on more then 140 million devices, and given that TAT is now BlackBerry Sweden, I'd assume the updated website would say BlackBerry Sweden. The OHA website hasn't been updated since early 2012 and is missing many members as of today.

So you also have no further proof or evidence that it is not true and it more likely is. I never came to the forum to get in a pointless argument, just to state what I have on a earlier post.

11-10-13 05:25 PM
    US military is using a secure android OS...

Ahahhaah this was the joke of the day!

Symbian, Maemoo, WebOS, MeeGo, Android, iOS, and finally peace with BB10
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-10-13 05:31 PM

Lucas At n4bb.com is reporting that his sources confirm what that OP has said. Your arguments are holding very little credibility
    11-10-13 05:57 PM
    Despite being supposedly sandboxed android apps on bb10 are able to run when closed, hence battery drain with many. Even bb10 apps can't do this. The permissions are not modifiable. And most apps are got from non legit sources.

In short, the android apps are more potentially malicious on bb10 than android.

Posted via CB10
    Google and BlackBerry are working together to make this as smooth as possible.

I trust that BlackBerry will have Google Play working smoothly.

11-10-13 06:12 PM
    You do realize installing the play store is a useless endeavor, you would still need to extract the apk you download, convert it to bar then sideload it, unless BlackBerry puts a built in apk to bar conversion process, I don't see this working.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry and Google are working together to implement the Play Store.

Nothing will need to be converted as they will be installed straight onto the sandboxed runtime.

11-10-13 06:14 PM

STFU already! I can't wait for this to come thru. I wonder what you'll say then
    11-10-13 06:35 PM
    Ahahhaah this was the joke of the day!

Symbian, Maemoo, WebOS, MeeGo, Android, iOS, and finally peace with BB10
    You should probably do some research before laughing

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-milita...se-by-soldiers

And there is more if you learn to search.

11-10-13 06:48 PM
717 ... 2122232425 ...