Had a chance to play with the HTC One recently (1st android phone ever held) installed a few apps and was surprised you can not change permissions. Apps listed multiple things it was doing and you could not turn it off. If I have a choice I'd prefer not to lose my ability to decide what gets permission to what and where.

At this point either Google is coming or its not. I'm not happy or sad either way but there are many people with horses in the race and it's going to be messy.

Posted by CB10 on a Z10
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-10-13 08:12 AM
    Had a chance to play with the HTC One recently (1st android phone ever held) installed a few apps and was surprised you can not change permissions. Apps listed multiple things it was doing and you could not turn it off. If I have a choice I'd prefer not to lose my ability to decide what gets permission to what and where.

At this point either Google is coming or its not. I'm not happy or sad either way but there are many people with horses in the race and it's going to be messy.

Posted by CB10 on a Z10
    forget the name of the app, but you can install it from the play store and have complete control over any apps permissions. Would easily solve that concern for anyone who had it.

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland and StutterStep like this.
    11-10-13 08:21 AM
    That's not quite what this would be but what you've said there is what I've been thinking for several months is what BlackBerry should have done instead of BB10.

It would have been at the cost of security and it's (small) enterprise market but long term that market is lost to iOS now anyway, the momentum is with Apple in workplaces, BlackBerry is in a downward spiral. May as well have turned to the Droid side.

Posted via CB10
    If you like droid so much go buy one. If BB went android they would already be out of business. BB is still the leader in enterprise so i dont what you mean by small* enterprise market. Too bad you dont realize that this is move to close the app gap their biggest problem. windows phone 8 is now starting to get traction after what 2-3 years with countless dollars thrown at marketing and app developers. BB cant do that so they came up with a better solution.
    11-10-13 08:29 AM
    Allow me to correct you. The term is BES, Blackberry Enterprise Server or Service(depending who ur talking too). And BES 10 actually supports Android and iOS already. Your point is moot.

BlackBerry wouldn't adopt running the full Android OS, and I really wish people would stop saying this.
    Bes is enterprise I'm talking about a consumer option.
    Doesn't sound like you actually read my post before trying to respond.

BlackBerry has not adopted running android and putting their own stamp on it, yes. No reason to stop suggesting it's a good idea, it would definitely have been cheaper and arguably yielded better results for a cash strapped programmer deficient company.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:31 AM
    That's exactly why I would not like to see G Play. And like I said, it is my opinion/hope and I don't want to convince anyone.

Exactly how you have control of app permissions in Android? Don't count root and custom roms.

Symbian, Maemoo, WebOS, MeeGo, Android, iOS, and finally peace with BB10
    I can't clearly confirm this as I don't have an android device anymore, but I was sure you could go into app permissions on android and allow/restrict permissions? Perhaps someone who actually owns an android device currently and knows how to use it can confirm/deny.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:32 AM
    If you like droid so much go buy one. If BB went android they would already be out of business. BB is still the leader in enterprise so i dont what you mean by small* enterprise market. Too bad you dont realize that this is move to close the app gap their biggest problem. windows phone 8 is now starting to get traction after what 2-3 years with countless dollars thrown at marketing and app developers. BB cant do that so they came up with a better solution.
    Why is it whenever some people can't discuss someone else's opinion like an adult, they tell them to leave and move to another Os? Weird.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:35 AM
    I can't clearly confirm this as I don't have an android device anymore, but I was sure you could go into app permissions on android and allow/restrict permissions? Perhaps someone who actually owns an android device currently and knows how to use it can confirm/deny.

Posted via CB10
    I do own 3.
    You can not do it outright. Additional apps and root for some permissions are required.
    And the thing with Android is you need so many apps for some things that at end the system isn't stable and reliable.

Anilu7 and John Pawling like this.
    11-10-13 08:36 AM
    I do own 3.
    You can not do it outright. Additional apps and root for some permissions are required.
    And the thing with Android is you need so many apps for some things that at end the system isn't stable and reliable.

I can't say the first two sentences are wrong until I've heard otherwise.

Re the whole 'so many apps makes the system unstable and unreliable' bit, that's baloney.
    Even if it was true, which it isn't, it still doesn't mean paying high end prices for a phone that doesn't give you the chance to do the same things makes sense.

Most if not all bb10 users would give anything for some of the apps on Google play. Whether they'll admit it or not is another thing.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:43 AM
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time as I've given the phone back. It was different in my hands and I didn't like the feeling.

Posted by CB10 on a Z10
    11-10-13 08:45 AM
    I do own 3.

Just checked on an android device, as you say, apps are needed, many have 5 star ratings and say they don't need root to remove permissions as needed.
    I don't see the problem with this, unless you're looking for a problem.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:51 AM
    Or listen to.

Posted via CB10
    at 33:15 Marcus Adolfsson stated he did not believe that you will not be allowed to get Google Services running inside a virtualized container - "they (Google) will not approve that"
    11-10-13 09:04 AM
    The assertion that Google doesn't care about the success or failure of Android is asinine. So crazy that it does not merit a proper rebuttal...

I would just like to say that it is untrue Google makes no direct money off of Android. Aside from the ads, Google sells an app suite that goes on every major device.
    Just a question, who's talking about success? Android, the open sourced one as I stated in a later post, is the one Google doesn't give a damn. The prove of this is in the way Google have been actively killing each part of it, making a Google flavored one, and stopping all development on the Open sourced one, and yes they only care about where they serve ads, android, the open sourced OS, doesn't provide any revenue to Google, ads do. The truth of the matter is, as of now Google only "motivation" is get rid of every single part of android, that are still open source, and sell it to make even more revenue, and of course serve you more ads.

And by the way allowing BlackBerry to have Google's Play Store won't stop "Andoid dominance" in the Mobile OS world, it could push people to either side, to android or BlackBerry.
    11-10-13 09:09 AM
    Kit kit is not released yet

Posted via CB10
    And again someone that don't know where he is talking about

Send from my HTC Sensation 4G running Android 4.3.1
    11-10-13 11:19 AM
    I'll admit, I'm kind of excited about the possibility of this happening. The only depressing fact, for me, if this actually happens is that I am on Verizon. Which means of course that I won't see the update with these abilities until at least 2016.....if at all. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-10-13 11:27 AM
    11-10-13 11:29 AM
    I see this rumour as plausible and win win for both BlackBerry and Google.

If BlackBerry's goal to make the OS a truly M2M offering with it running in cars, homes and more becomes a reality this gives Google huge potential to get more customers and access to a broader audience for their main goal, advertising. It gives BlackBerry the ability to get rid of one of their biggest roadblocks from having customers buy their handset offerings.

Currently there are probably question marks for Google. Samsung is basically their money maker in the android world but it is well known that Samsung is developing tizen. When is this going to be out? You think Samsung is pumping all the r&d they are into tizen just to stay reliant on Google? I think that would be nieve to think that. Google has to look out for themselves and allowing BlackBerry to access their apps diversifies some of the Risk if they do lose Samsung. Why be reliant on one large customer. That's just bad business.

On the topic of developers, I believe the argument of developers leaving the bb10 because of Android availability is moot. I was initially a CS major in school and I'm not claiming to know everything about the topic since I chose the path of leaving CS and am not a developer but each developer has a preference/competence of language they will code in. BlackBerry native and Android java are different and I don't see someone jumping just because it's available. Also some developers code for the love of building things and to them having access to native APIs makes a much better product. So I don't see this hurting BlackBerry as much as people claim. Yes some developers will decide to bypass coding in native but you will also have, hopefully, a much larger customer base and will give a reason for developers to spend time coding on the platform.

Take my thoughts for what they are worth. Which is potentially worth not much but I highly doubt the next couple years are going to be anything less than interesting. There is a reason that I still follow the tech industry very closely. It's always changing and changing fast!

Posted via CB10
    grover5 and shahadav like this.
    11-10-13 11:34 AM
    Bes is enterprise I'm talking about a consumer option.
    Doesn't sound like you actually read my post before trying to respond.

BlackBerry has not adopted running android and putting their own stamp on it, yes. No reason to stop suggesting it's a good idea, it would definitely have been cheaper and arguably yielded better results for a cash strapped programmer deficient company.

Posted via CB10
    Bob, BIS isn't being used with BB10, hence my correction. Forgive me for thinking you knew.

And BlackBerry running android would have put them under, all this security given up for an open source OS. Security is BlackBerry's trade mark, along with keyboard phones. They're not giving either of the two up.

Posted via my sweet Z10 on the #1 BB10 app!
    mnc76 likes this.
    11-10-13 01:21 PM
    Bob, BIS isn't being used with BB10, hence my correction. Forgive me for thinking you knew.

And BlackBerry running android would have put them under, all this security given up for an open source OS. Security is BlackBerry's trade mark, along with keyboard phones. They're not giving either of the two up.

US military is using a secure android OS so therefore your statement that android is insecure is false. Even Samsung and aftermarket Roms like CM are implementing SElinux.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    11-10-13 02:13 PM
    US military is using a secure android OS so therefore your statement that android is insecure is false. Even Samsung and aftermarket Roms like CM are implementing SElinux.

Kris, I'm a BES admin with DoD, Android is not secure enough. It's a very dumbed down old version. Everything other than BlackBerry is still in pilot testing.

BlackBerry is the only true approved and vetted OS for mobile devices OS's right now.

Korepab and mnc76 like this.
    11-10-13 02:19 PM
    Kris, I'm a BES admin with DoD, Android is not secure enough. It's a very dumbed down old version. Everything other than BlackBerry is still in pilot testing.

That's nice, doesn't deny the fact that you calling android insecure is wrong.

It certainly isn't as secure as BES. But to say BB10 devices not on BES are more secure than other devices is naive.

If we're on this topic, how many BES devices do you think will have access to the GPlay store even if the ability comes to these devices? Next to none, and if you say you'd allow it as a admin well your theory on security is even more shot.

11-10-13 02:22 PM
    Just admit it. BlackBerry is long past being in pilot testing for security. They are the best, whether you want to admit it or not, that is the way it is. Whether it has access to Google apps or not, the basis of the platform was, is, and always will be better and more secure than the rest. Admit it.

Posted via CB10
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    11-10-13 02:26 PM

That's nice mate, shame you can't read or understand very well.
    I said development time spent on bb10 should have been spent taking bis in an improved fashion to android. That's what's called a hypothetical situation, Google can help you understand that.

Android phones or Os variations can be very very secure, bes allows for secure areas of iOS and android, and the whole balance thing on bb10 allows for work and personal spaces, something that could be applied to other oses as well.
    Google it all up, I'm sure it will make sense eventually, well, maybe.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:28 PM

BlackBerry is the only true approved and vetted OS for mobile devices OS's right now.

You could be the queen of England, but in this thread you've shown an inability to understand written material, understand the concept of a hypothetical situation, and a complete lack of knowledge of a major international mobile Os in android.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:29 PM
    Just admit it. BlackBerry is long past being in pilot testing for security. They are the best, whether you want to admit it or not, that is the way it is. Whether it has access to Google apps or not, the basis of the platform was, is, and always will be better and more secure than the rest. Admit it.

Posted via CB10
    You all talk about security for BB. Yet you all want the Google Play store and bash android for not being "secure". Talk about hypocrites.

Again I assuming a good 90% of you on these forums are not on BES, and since there is no more BIS for BB10 consumers, your no more secure than a Android, iOS or WP8 device.

randall2580 likes this.
    11-10-13 02:34 PM
    That's nice, doesn't deny the fact that you calling android insecure is wrong.

It certainly isn't as secure as BES. But to say BB10 devices not on BES are more secure than other devices is naive.

If we're on this topic, how many BES devices do you think will have access to the GPlay store even if the ability comes to these devices? Next to none, and if you say you'd allow it as a admin well your theory on security is even more shot.

I never said that BlackBerry devices not on BES were more secure. However I do believe that to be true. Otherwise, Android would be all over DoD as well. The fact remains it's not.

Also, I don't allow BlackBerry World on my enterprise simply because our mission does not require it. So implementation or allowing GPLAY would definitely be a no go. As far as devices that'll be allowed outside of enterprise, I can only think BB10 devices would be the target.

11-10-13 02:34 PM
717 ... 2021222324 ...