Lol, have you even touched a Windows Phone device?

So sure of one's self yet so wrong. Taking screenshots on Windows Phone is just as easy as it is on BlackBerry 10 and Android. Holding down two buttons at once gets the job done on all 3 platforms.
    4 platforms. iPhones take screenshot the same way.
    11-09-13 04:36 PM
    4 platforms. iPhones take screenshot the same way.
    But not WP7.xx

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-09-13 04:45 PM
    hmm... looking forward to updated guides for this, i can't seem to convert or install any of the apks / bar files associated with this thread. obviously i'm doing something wrong, but after installing the runtime posted here no android apps work now, get errors upon trying to install bar files for play services, login service, play music, etc.
    11-09-13 04:55 PM
    thanks, looks like i'll spend the day trying to convert these apk's. regular methods aren't working. I don't suppose the converted .bar files for loginservices and music are up anywhere are they?
    Use debug Token method to convert all apps there, it's worked for me
    Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_20131153.png
    11-09-13 05:02 PM
    hmm... looking forward to updated guides for this, i can't seem to convert or install any of the apks / bar files associated with this thread. obviously i'm doing something wrong, but after installing the runtime posted here no android apps work now, get errors upon trying to install bar files for play services, login service, play music, etc.
    did you use debug token to side load your android apps? if yes it should work normaly even runtime changed, but if you were in case with unlocked runtime, your apps will not work with the one posted there.
    11-09-13 05:06 PM
    No idea if this is going to happen or not. But I see a lot of people saying devs will be mad, screwed, etc. I can only speak for myself, but it won't change any of my plans. I've developed for Android and chose to concentrate on BB10 because I can easily do what I need to. The market is smaller but the majority of Android users wouldn't be interested in my products. Those who are interested in my products will get whatever hardware they need to run them. Obviously having BlackBerry survive is important to me.

What I read here is hearsay from people who know something, and speculation from people who don't know. If it happens, when it happens will be the time to assess what it means, not before.

Posted via CB10
    Say what?!?

No way would I EVER consider putting Play store on my Z10.

[begin rant]
    That useless collection of apps can stay on my Galaxy Tablet.

My opinion is most of those apps are for kiddies.
    [end rant]

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.2.0.424 on the Rogers Network
    damien kupuku likes this.
    Say what?!?

[begin rant]

[end rant]

It's that opinion that has put BlackBerry close to liquidation of assets. Did you seriously come into this thread to tell people apps are useless?
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:12 PM
    Say what?!?

Yes John, agree with you. There's absolutely nothing in there I need, BUT BlackBerry need to sell phones and to do that they need they buy-in from the average consumer. They are fighting with their back against the wall right now and appealing to the broader public is a strategy that can save the Company.
    11-09-13 05:13 PM
    did you use debug token to side load your android apps? if yes it should work normaly even runtime changed, but if you were in case with unlocked runtime, your apps will not work with the one posted there.
    Yeah I loaded the posted runtime, realized I would probably need to use debug token method, I don't like having to compromise so much there. The old runtime isn't doable for me, breaks too many other things, and I don't like the debug token method. So, generally a bummer, hopefully this progresses to a newer runtime. I'd love to have music going as I use that service. I can wait it out though, this is all pretty exciting regardless, thanks for the response.

EDIT: I wonder if after you have the account info for a gmail account set up and login in under the older runtime, if you could then update the runtime, may test this later.
    Last edited by katiepea; 11-09-13 at 05:28 PM.
    11-09-13 05:14 PM
    I think every brand of phone should have any and all apps. Then everyone would be happy. Then it would be just a matter of preference to the hardware the end user likes / uses. What would be wrong with that?

Nothing. A win for everyone.

Posted via my Z10, cause Virgin Mobile and Flextronics are screwing me over.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:20 PM
    Yes, you have to use the debug token method, the easiest way I found is to use these free website tools: https://barinstall.com
    At this site you can create your own debug token if you already have the signing keys, or even upload an existing debug token that you an receive for example by asking in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...equest-818121/.
    Please write all your questions about this method to the original thread about Google Services, so we don't mess this one with offtopic
    11-09-13 05:29 PM
    I think every brand of phone should have any and all apps. Then everyone would be happy. Then it would be just a matter of preference to the hardware the end user likes / uses. What would be wrong with that?

The issue with apps/applications/software has ALWAYS been an issue across platforms (Look at Windows vs Mac).

======

I'm not sure what to make of this at all.. I'm in that "Unsure" camp.

One the one hand, the app situation is a double edged sword. If we use Instagram as an example: "We won't develop for a platform until the userbase increases to a level we're satisfied with". On the other hand, devices won't sell because "It hazn't gotz instagramz =O". It's a crying shame this platform as succumb to the desperation to pull the Play Store onto the OS, even with the power behind this platform. App developers have more control over platforms than the manufactures and owning companies do. BlackBerry NEEDS these applications to be worthy contender in this crowded market, it's just a shame this is how they have to go about it.

What I really hope is that native applications aren't ditched altogether. Those devs that have brought us native applications (One-man-bands to the bigger companies, take your pick) have done a great job in doing so, and I'm sure myself and the entire BlackBerry community can't thank them enough for having belief in this platform. I can't see this being any sort of "insult" to the native developers unless Native is completely ditched, somehow I can't see that happening.

But if this really sells devices (I'm not sure it will), and if it gets BB10 phones into the hands of people. Maybe if people can begin to appreciate just how good this platform is and what it's capable of. Well... that can only be a good thing!
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:32 PM

HTML5 adoption will make this possible. Several years from now this is where it all will end up, in my opinion. Until this happens, it's virtually impossible for any new ecosystem to start up successfully. They big question: should we not have independent app stores that everybody can access?
    Ealaionta likes this.
    11-09-13 05:34 PM
    To me, this potential plan or BB/Google agreement only makes sense if BlackBerry is exiting the consumer handset business. Or if Google was showing interest in buying BlackBerry and part of the sell was BB showing Google how easy it would be to make the legacy BB10 devices compatible with the Android apps. Ie. Google buys BlackBerry and is able to support existing BB10 users. Now that would be off the table unless Google makes a takeover offer.
    Why would BlackBerry invest in the Play Store if they're exiting the consumer handset business?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 05:42 PM
    Why would BlackBerry invest in the Play Store if they're exiting the consumer handset business?

Posted via CB10
    Didn't the new interim CEO say that they're not exiting the handset business?
    11-09-13 05:47 PM
    Yes! Equality for the masses. Plus it would create jobs. We need to spark the interest of having the opportunity to have any and all apps for every brand of hardware. It is like cars....they used to have crank windows....everyone liked the idea of power ones (or most people) , so they made them available to any and mostly all cars today.

Another example....power steering....one had it, the masses liked the idea, so it was brought to the rest.

Bottom line, having any and all apps on any phone would actually please a lot of people, make life easier for a lot more, money can and will be made from this, and given another example.......the convenience of having your desired app on your desired hardware.

What could be more pleasing than that? Not to mention the potential to be so so much more profitable for many?

Think of the car example, and the power steering....it made life a heck of a lot easier for so many people...old,young, weak, strong and the list goes on.....so would be life with the whole Google app store on BlackBerry., as well as others......

m1kr0 likes this.
    It's that opinion that has put BlackBerry close to liquidation of assets. Did you seriously come into this thread to tell people apps are useless?
    Nope just Android ones ;-)

There is a use for everything that exists...at one point or another. Apps are potential tools......think of it in this respect.

11-09-13 05:51 PM
    Nope just Android ones ;-)

Yet, if you scroll through the bb10 apps section of this website, the entire page is filled up with app requests and discussions for apps on android. you just made a blanket statement that android apps as a whole are useless, yet most of the top apps in bb world are android apps, I can't gather your logic into anything other than the trash bin. You've failed to make a point.
    11-09-13 05:52 PM
    Some people simply do not realize the actual need to have equality on all platforms and hardware.....this would be the turning point for every manufacturer out there. One word. Equality.

They need to have equality for the apps across the board. Then the only thing remaining, would be to choose your peripheral (your desired phone) that you prefer, or are used to.

We have to stop being app racists, and start providing equality to the masses.

And I do not mean any ignorance by my statement.

Equality is fair. Give us all the apps for all platforms.

Fair is fair.

11-09-13 06:00 PM
    Some people simply do not realize the actual need to have equality on all platforms and hardware.....this would be the turning point for every manufacturer out there. One word. Equality.

They need to have equality for the apps across the board. Then the only thing remaining, would be to choose your peripheral (your desired phone) that you prefer, or are used to.

We have to stop being app racists, and start providing equality to the masses.

And I do not mean any ignorance by my statement.

Equality is fair. Give us all the apps for all platforms.

Fair is fair.

@Google: open your app store to all. You already control almost 80% of the smartphone market. Your revenue comes via advertising and not apps.
    11-09-13 06:05 PM
    Wrong. KitKat only requires 512mb ram . I don't see any BlackBerry 10 devices with 512mb ram
    Kit kit is not released yet

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 06:08 PM
    Yet, if you scroll through the bb10 apps section of this website, the entire page is filled up with app requests and discussions for apps on android. you just made a blanket statement that android apps as a whole are useless, yet most of the top apps in bb world are android apps, I can't gather your logic into anything other than the trash bin. You've failed to make a point.
    My point is it is just my opinion. That is the point on my posts in this thread. Can't I post that here?

If there is an app for other phones that I may need, I always contact the developer and ask for a native OS10 one. If the response is negative I just move on and not whine to BlackBerry about it...

11-09-13 06:10 PM
    ...We have to stop being app racists, and start providing equality to the masses. And I do not mean any ignorance by my statement. Equality is fair. Give us all the apps for all platforms. Fair is fair.
    Well, don't forget that we don't provide any apps, the developers provide apps and they are not regularly paid the same price for working on some apps in an office, they choose what kind of app and which OS is worthy spending their time on. If they blindly spent days and nights supporting every single mobile platform that exists, they wouldn't even pay their own time, not mentioning some profit over it.
    I'm not saying that developing native BlackBerry apps is bad, I do agree that the native cascades-based apps are incredibly better than the android ports, but you have to look on both sides, it's not app racism, it's just trying to make money for your living. For example I've met the developer behind BX Battery Info - the app was extremely popular on BB10, but still he had lots of problems with submitting new apps and was rejected from the 10k challenge and when he found out that he didn't earn much money, he returned back to developing for Android. As easy as that.
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-09-13 06:12 PM
717 ... 1718192021 ...