I can't believe how many people are Debbie Downers on the possibility of this. It solves the app gap. If I have a choice of buying a fully native app vs a port I will still chose the native version. Having a app whether native or directly from Google play shouldn't matter. The only thing that matters is that it is available to BlackBerry 10 users and performs well.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    Icarus3000 and ital1 like this.
    11-09-13 01:16 PM
    If on one side of the scale you have the BB10 developers and the money they bring to the table vs Google app store and the amount of money going to BlackBerry from the sales of phones would that be a fair judgement balance? If it is going to happen or not will not change my stance but people should be aware that BlackBerry is in a corner somewhat and decision making is a little different when the gloves start to come off.

Posted by CB10 on a Z10
    11-09-13 01:25 PM
    I can't believe how many people are Debbie Downers on the possibility of this. It solves the app gap. If I have a choice of buying a fully native app vs a port I will still chose the native version. Having a app whether native or directly from Google play shouldn't matter. The only thing that matters is that it is available to BlackBerry 10 users and performs well.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    Given that the majority of consumers won't know the difference between native or not and will just know they can download any app...it bodes well for BlackBerry. Will some developers feel cheated? Likely. But like I said before, this is about the viability of the BlackBerry Business and not about appeasing some upset and hurt developer.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 01:34 PM
    Isn't there already a government approved version?
    A better question is is there a government approved version that can click and install everything on the Google Play Store? If in securing it you break compatibility then you lose a lot.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-09-13 01:35 PM
    A better question is is there a government approved version that can click and install everything on the Google Play Store? If in securing it you break compatibility then you lose a lot.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    If you're talking about the DOD version of Android, it does not have access to play.

If you're talking about approval for use of Android on US Government networks then it must be managed by an approved MDM service, and IIRC can't have access to Play. Guess what the only approved MDM service is.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 and mnc76 like this.
    11-09-13 01:58 PM
    Early on after reading this thread, I forwarded the link to Phil at AC and asked that maybe he or Jerry chime in. I had just read the sort of vague hint by Blaze that there could be something to this and I wanted to hear the AC side of this.

Google bypassing the open handset alliance for BlackBerry has repercussions past this one matter and it seemed to me at first blush something Google would want to avoid at all costs. I asked if perhaps Phil or Jerry could speak to this from the Google/Android side and make us all a bit smarter if they could and they themselves weren't under NDA.

I was happy to see that Jerry came on here and gave more than his opinion, but that he checked with sources at Google, and he told you in no uncertain terms why he thought it was unlikely. I valued his comments.

However like threads here, anyone who has good things to say about Android is immediately dissed and dismissed and this time is no exception and Jerry is asked to keep his comments to himself. Why wouldn't you want to hear from him, his connections, and what he would offer? If you've ever listed to an AC podcast Jerry always has nice things to say about his time on a BlackBerry. He is not one who believes you raise a platform by dissing another.

I remember threads here that there was a native version of Netflix all set to go and the CEO candidate told us he would give us all a car if native Instagram didnt come to BB10. Almost a year later have we seen hide or hair of either one? These were both posted by people who had knowledge of what they spoke about, supposedly.

I find it very interesting that Blaze hints he has knowledge there could be something to this but says no more, and Jerry says his sources and Jerry's best hunches say no and he spelled it all out to you. Both could be right as far as they know. This may be past the pay grade of the guy at Google Jerry spoke with.

As always CrackBerry knows better. Hey I hope it's right. I hope my Z10 runs Android as well as an S4 and packs equal access to the Play Store. Based on what Jerry and others have said here I have serious doubts. So BlackBerry can pleasantly surprise me for the first time in a long time and make this happen. Time will tell
    11-09-13 02:03 PM
    BlackBerry would get a cut along with Google and the Dev.
    No. BB will not get any revenue from Google play store sales.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    11-09-13 02:03 PM
    Early on after reading this thread, I forwarded the link to Phil at AC and asked that maybe he or Jerry chime in. I had just read the sort of vague hint by Blaze that there could be something to this and I wanted to hear the AC side of this.

Google bypassing the open handset alliance for BlackBerry has repercussions past this one matter and it seemed to me at first blush something Google would want to avoid at all costs. I asked if perhaps Phil or Jerry could speak to this from the Google/Android side and make us all a bit smarter if they could and they themselves weren't under NDA.

I was happy to see that Jerry came on here and gave more than his opinion, but that he checked with sources at Google, and he told you in no uncertain terms why he thought it was unlikely. I valued his comments.

However like threads here, anyone who has good things to say about Android is immediately dissed and dismissed and this time is no exception and Jerry is asked to keep his comments to himself. Why wouldn't you want to hear from him, his connections, and what he would offer? If you've ever listed to an AC podcast Jerry always has nice things to say about his time on a BlackBerry. He is not one who believes you raise a platform by dissing another.

I remember threads here that there was a native version of Netflix all set to go and the CEO candidate told us he would give us all a car if native Instagram didnt come to BB10. Almost a year later have we seen hide or hair of either one? These were both posted by people who had knowledge of what they spoke about, supposedly.

I find it very interesting that Blaze hints he has knowledge there could be something to this but says no more, and Jerry says his sources and Jerry's best hunches say no and he spelled it all out to you. Both could be right as far as they know. This may be past the pay grade of the guy at Google Jerry spoke with.

As always CrackBerry knows better. Hey I hope it's right. I hope my Z10 runs Android as well as an S4 and packs equal access to the Play Store. Based on what Jerry and others have said here I have serious doubts. So BlackBerry can pleasantly surprise me for the first time in a long time and make this happen. Time will tell
    Because if you say anything that actually makes sense that isn't in favor of BlackBerry crackberry members start whining. Jerry comments were very informative. But that's not good enough. Anything short of "BlackBerry is getting play store and will run android and BlackBerry apps. Who is the best now!!!" falls to deaf ears. Thanks for getting us information from somebody that actually has sources.
    11-09-13 02:16 PM
    Well people have different sources maybe his sources don't know about it, but these other people sources do know about it.

My sources are none. I don't know. I think is a good plan, if it is true. That's all.

People here get whinny if their opinions are not taken into account or ignored, not just the "BlackBery's defenders" ones.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 11-09-13 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo....
    mnc76 and Pdinos3 like this.
    11-09-13 02:35 PM
    Currently Google doesn't allow any Android device with square display (as of Android 4.3 compatibility program, only devices with 4:3 to 16:9 screens can get official Google Play store) so that means no Google Play with Android 4.2.2/4.3 on Q10.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-09-13 02:44 PM
    No. BB will not get any revenue from Google play store sales.

We don't know this for a fact, it all speculation but I would imagine if this were to happen BlackBerry would negotiate and try to get a percentage of money out of it. They would be dumb not to.
    11-09-13 02:45 PM
    We don't know this for a fact, it all speculation but I would imagine if this were to happen BlackBerry would negotiate and try to get a percentage of money out of it. They would be dumb not to.
    What I said is a fact. This is like saying Google gets a cut of things you buy from Amazon app store or Samsung Apps on Android, or that B&B got a cut on the nook HD.

I'm not sure how you people come up with this. It makes no sense. BB would get nothing from Play Store Purchases, nor are they in a position to ask for it.

whosuredaddy69 and Ealaionta like this.
    11-09-13 02:47 PM
    What I said is a fact. This is like saying Google gets a cut of things you buy from Amazon app store or Samsung Apps on Android, or that B&B got a cut on the nook HD.

I'm not sure how you people come up with this. It makes no sense. BB would get nothing from Play Store Purchases, nor are they in a position to ask for it.

This guy is right. Even if this "deal" is true, is unlikely that BlackBerry will get any "cut" on the money BlackBerry's users spend on Google's Play Store.
    11-09-13 02:49 PM
    This guy is right. Even if this "deal" is true, is unlikely that BlackBerry will get any "cut" on the money BlackBerry's users spend on Google's Play Store.
    Exactly... bbw is money maker for BlackBerry and if BlackBerry gets Play then that money will probably go to Google only...

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-09-13 03:03 PM
    That won't change the BB10 Android runtime's ability to run applications though. Maybe in the future.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Not only that but it won't matter anyway as moving from a JIT compiler to an intelligent pre-compiler makes no difference to the ability to run the environment on any device as long as the underlying support for varying platforms does not change.

Exactly... bbw is money maker for BlackBerry and if BlackBerry gets Play then that money will probably go to Google only...

It's more important for BlackBerry to sell devices now than to try to get money from the BlackBerry World store. The store is miniscule and the transaction volume is virtually non-existent.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 03:13 PM
    Not only that but it won't matter anyway as moving from a JIT compiler to an intelligent pre-compiler makes no difference to the ability to run the environment on any device as long as the underlying support for varying platforms does not change.

It's more important for BlackBerry to sell devices now than to try to get money from the BlackBerry World store. The store is miniscule and the transaction volume is virtually non-existent.

Posted via CB10
    I understand that... im saying if they sell more devices and more people buy phones more devs make native apps everything will be fine

Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    11-09-13 03:17 PM

Posted via CB10

This. Of course that this move would upset BlackBerry's developers but the awful truth is that these developers have not being working, in the large schemes of things, for BlackBerry. Yes native apps are way better than ported ones... but at the end of the day Jane and John Doe don't give a damn about it, they just care about "I need this app now." and having Google's Play Store on a BB10 Smart Phone will give them exactly that, and for people who are asked about their BlackBerrys it will be easier to say "Yeah, get it, it has everything you would need, and more."
    11-09-13 03:22 PM
    There are people out there that read this knowing exactly what's going on. Is it not time to speak up now?
    11-09-13 03:33 PM
    Windows Phone can't take screenshots, at least not without some real backbone effort and real know-how.

Lol, have you even touched a Windows Phone device?

So sure of one's self yet so wrong. Taking screenshots on Windows Phone is just as easy as it is on BlackBerry 10 and Android. Holding down two buttons at once gets the job done on all 3 platforms.
    11-09-13 03:38 PM
    Just to be clear - I'm not familiar with the matter of GPlay coming to BlackBerry, so I'm not posting this to confirm the hypothesis, plus it's nothing new actually, I'm just posting this as a heads up that it might not be too far from truth. The first attachment is my almost 2 years old video of Android Market running on a "rooted" PlayBook (remember DingleBerry?) - I was able to download and even buy apps and install them directly to my PlayBook without any hassle with repackaging and it was just Android 2.3 and the beta version of Android Runtime, so imagine the possibilities it has now.
    P.S.: Skip to 4:31 for the Android Market part, I wasn't able to force the video to start at that particular time.

The second attachment is a combination of screenshots from my Z10 with Google Services Framework enabled in Runtime and Google account dependent apps like GMail, GPlay Music or Ingress running successfully on BlackBerry 10. As already mentioned before – all credits for this "hack" go to crackberry user moneytoo.
    Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-googlehax.jpg
    Meanwhile lets not get bonkers and yell at each other, just wait with fingers crossed, I hope we will hear the good news from BlackBerry soon.
    11-09-13 04:04 PM
    Lol, have you even touched a Windows Phone device?

So sure of one's self yet so wrong. Taking screenshots on Windows Phone is just as easy as it is on BlackBerry 10 and Android. Holding down two buttons at once gets the job done on all 3 platforms.
    Like I said a few posts after that one, you CAN do it in WP8 but NOT in WP7.xx. I've only ever used WP7.xx, and you can't do it.

11-09-13 04:07 PM
    Just to be clear - I'm not familiar with the matter of GPlay coming to BlackBerry, so I'm not posting this to confirm the hypothesis, plus it's nothing new actually, I'm just posting this as a heads up that it might not be too far from truth. The first attachment is my almost 2 years old video of Android Market running on a "rooted" PlayBook (remember DingleBerry?) - I was able to download and even buy apps and install them directly to my PlayBook without any hassle with repackaging and it was just Android 2.3 and the beta version of Android Runtime, so imagine the possibilities it has now.
    P.S.: Skip to 4:31 for the Android Market part, I wasn't able to force the video to start at that particular time.

The second attachment is a combination of screenshots from my Z10 with Google Services Framework enabled in Runtime and Google account dependent apps like GMail, GPlay Music or Ingress running successfully on BlackBerry 10. As already mentioned before � all credits for this "hack" go to crackberry user moneytoo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	googlehax.jpg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	218953
    Meanwhile lets not get bonkers and yell at each other, just wait with fingers crossed, I hope we will hear the good news from BlackBerry soon.
    Alright, I'd very much so like to read a write up on how you got Gservices framework going in the runtime. link please? I'm really only interested in the google play music.
    11-09-13 04:09 PM
    Alright, I'd very much so like to read a write up on how you got Gservices framework going in the runtime. link please?
    Here you go
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...t-apps-866259/
    11-09-13 04:12 PM

The second attachment is a combination of screenshots from my Z10 with Google Services Framework enabled in Runtime and Google account dependent apps like GMail, GPlay Music or Ingress running successfully on BlackBerry 10. As already mentioned before – all credits for this "hack" go to crackberry user moneytoo.

It's a technical possibility - in fact, that's probably why Google Play is blacklisted by the OS now, because they were worried that someone would figure out how to run it otherwise.

My doubt lies in whether Google would actually allow this. Others have tried and failed...perhaps BlackBerry had something very valuable to Google to exchange for access. Maybe BlackBerry just has a good relationship with Google. I remain hopeful, but one thing is certain - BlackBerry cannot do this without an agreement from Google.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-09-13 04:28 PM
    thanks, looks like i'll spend the day trying to convert these apk's. regular methods aren't working. I don't suppose the converted .bar files for loginservices and music are up anywhere are they?
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-09-13 04:32 PM
717 ... 1617181920 ...