Correct. I have a small piano tuning Android app that has been sideloaded since the 10.1 days. Wouldn't run under 10.1, would open under 10.2 but not access microphone for pitch sensing. Installed the unlocked Android runtime yesterday and now have full functionality.
    Which unlocked runtime did you install? And had you tried the debug token on a locked runtime first?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:04 AM
    I have not read all of the posts. I think 10.2.1 will be a convoluted way for Android with Google Play on BB10. It will alienate BB10 developers.

Why not have BlackBerry hardware with Android 4.2.2 OS wrapped in BB10-like UI with BB Hub and BBM? BlackBerry Android phone would be a bigger seller than BB10 with Android Runtime.
    Saiga, oilgeo10 and app_Developer like this.
    11-09-13 10:08 AM
    This thread had more than 25 000 views over the past days. Some posters say it's impossible, simply not workable and won't/can't happen. Some posters are adamant it is a done deal and just a matter of time. What's absent in here is the participation of CrackBerry staff. Do you guys know something and can't talk, or is this simply too far fetched that a response is not even warranted. I know that you don't respond to each and every post but for something of this magnitude, it's perhaps warranted.
    Some are under a NDA. It's like when I joke with my friend who works at Ubisoft Toronto what the next game their making is. He isn't at liberty to tell me otherwise he is at risk to lose his job. Some people here aren't under such agreements. The whole thing may not be all finished at the moment. I guess we'll find out won't we.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-09-13 10:13 AM
    Personally, I think this is a cruel prank ala Instagram for BB10.

It'd require a lot of goodwill from Google to permit Google Play on BB10 and I just don't see it coming from Google considering its history. BB10 is a direct competitor and, while it is unpopular at the moment, any increased popularity is a direct threat to Android. Furthermore, there is nothing Blackberry can offer Google that can make Google Play for BB10 an appealing proposition.
    Uzi, Anilu7 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-09-13 10:22 AM
    I only need one app from Google play and that is Navigon, for the rest I prefer my qnx bb10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:33 AM
    Personally, I think this is a cruel prank ala Instagram for BB10.

It'd require a lot of goodwill from Google to permit Google Play on BB10 and I just don't see it coming from Google considering its history. BB10 is a direct competitor and, while it is unpopular at the moment, any increased popularity is a direct threat to Android. Furthermore, there is nothing Blackberry can offer Google that can make Google Play for BB10 an appealing proposition.

And you actually believe Google gives a rat's behind about Android? Wow...
    Google doesn't make a dime on android they DO make, and a lot, of bucks on the ads they serve which they could now serve to a another ecosystem, and add another stream of revenue to their already big ones.

So no, it's not "good will" there's no such a thing coming from a corporation, not just Google.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 11-09-13 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling x__x
    11-09-13 10:39 AM
    There is a developer option to run for ART on the Nexus 5 but a warning is given to not use it as a main runtime. (from what I've read)

The adjustment to the runtime is interesting, almost like how native BlackBerry 10 is, where once opened the app is then cached if I understood correctly which helps the app run faster.

But since the BlackBerry runtime is sandboxed, unless they change the nature of it somehow I'm wondering if android apps will also be allowed to be cached and how much resources will be needed.

But worrying ahead of time, I don't think we have to worry about that for at least a year -till Nexus 6 arrives.

The change is Just in time becomes ahead of time and instead of causing the cpu to work haphazardly it becomes more structured. (again I may have understood what I read incorrectly)

I wonder if some patents are involved in this agreement.. patent trolling Rockstar

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:44 AM
    And you actually believe Google gives a rat's behind about Android? Wow...
    Google doesn't make a dime on android they DO make, an a lot, of bucks on the ads they serve which they could now serve to a another ecosystem, and add another stream of revenue to their already big ones.

So no, it's not "good will" there's no such a thing coming from a corporation, not just Google.
    Google do care about Android, that's why they're taking back control.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...ans-necessary/

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 and lawguyman like this.
    11-09-13 10:46 AM
    Google do care about Android, that's why they're taking back control.

Google�€™s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Nope. They care about making it as closed as they can to have more revenue... the open source one, the one that everyone loves? They don't give a damn.
    The "Iron grip" is on the ads side of the things. Android, the "Open Source Project." is just a medium that they don't really need anymore, that's why they have been very active killing every single part of it, your little link actually shows this.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 11-09-13 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typos... and more typos
    Ealaionta likes this.
    11-09-13 10:56 AM
    I noticed a lot of people disputing this and some even bringing up the whole instagram hoax debacle. The one major difference I see here is a certain member of the CrackBerry staff was pretty vocal about the supposed instagram photos being fake but in this thread, that same person has not said much other than for everyone to not discount what Catlin is saying. This might not mean much to anyone but it's very odd that the people in the know (and were correct about the instagram thread) would in a round about way, endorse this especially if it wasn't true.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:08 AM
    BlackBerry probably offered Google the use of some patents in exchange for this. We'll fix your app ecosystem problem if you help us sue the **** out of everyone we hate

well it probably didn't happen like this, but one can dream right ?
    I like this. Google gets a patent to sue Apple with..... tag team

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:20 AM
    Anyone else think this might make the potential to license BlackBerry 10 to other manufacturers that much easier? There are many who are getting destroyed by Samsung as they try to compete for the Android market...well here is a way to differentiate themselves without compromising the current ecosystem they have access to.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:23 AM
    Stop making comments you have no idea about.
    LOL OK.

Sorry folks. I tried. I won't be back
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-09-13 11:26 AM
    LOL OK.

Sorry folks. I tried. I won't be back
    Hey Jerry, stick around man.

Ps: I listen to you on the AC podcasts

Posted from 420 Paper Street
    SteelGreek and Anilu7 like this.
    11-09-13 11:30 AM
    I like this. Google gets a patent to sue Apple with..... tag team

Posted via CB10
    What's interesting is that the Apple led consortium Rockstar who paid 4.5$ billion for the Nortel patents are in the process of suing Google and some other android manufacturers excluding I think sony?
    And BlackBerry (and Sony) are also part of the consortium..
    So Google bought Motorola for 12.5$ billion as a result of they losing Nortel-I'm not saying that's the only reason.

So I'm thinking that if such an agreement with regards to the play store in is place it's not only at the benefit of profiteering from apps??

I think something similar happened with HTC where Google lent some patents to HTC to 'help sue' Apple.

So maybe Google is needing some defence in the form of patents?

Because they targeting Google's heart of its business model, with regards to its search engine as well as something with regards to its ad revenue.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:34 AM
    This never going to happend, because nobody else will going to develop for BB anymore... and blackberry makes money with his own Apps Store...
    11-09-13 11:41 AM
    This never going to happend, because nobody else will going to develop for BB anymore... and blackberry makes money with his own Apps Store...
    While I doubt it I'm not saying never. I'm unsure how much bbry makes off of their own store but if they don't sell more phones it won't be anything. I don't think if this happens that the bb store will close. There will still be apps there people will prefer to use.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-09-13 11:47 AM
    This would kill BB app world and nobody would ever develop for bb again?
    11-09-13 11:53 AM
    This thread had more than 25 000 views over the past days. Some posters say it's impossible, simply not workable and won't/can't happen. Some posters are adamant it is a done deal and just a matter of time. What's absent in here is the participation of CrackBerry staff. Do you guys know something and can't talk, or is this simply too far fetched that a response is not even warranted. I know that you don't respond to each and every post but for something of this magnitude, it's perhaps warranted.
    B1aze did earlier. Saying not to be skeptical because he knows something too

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:59 AM
    I think this topic is to big to make just a little blog post! I'm sure when they know for sure it's happening, there will be some big articles and a lot of podcasts etc...

But on the other side you don't want to get everyone excited and have to say some days later: sorry guys - technically it's absolutely possible, but Google decided not to allow it and we won't see it happening would have a bad reputation on the BlackBerry brand!

Personally I'm sure that it's happening sooner than later because it's a win-win situation for Google and BlackBerry!

Google doesn't want to sell hardware! They want as many people as possible to use their services! BlackBerry has been proven, that it's very hard work to get all major apps for their Plattform! And with this trick every user has the chance to get the Apps they need! There will always be a place for native BlackBerry apps and the more users use BlackBerry 10 - the more native Apps will get into the ecosystem!

My only concern is, that the runtime is not ready yet for prime time, as Android Apps run way better on Android Hardware! If BlackBerry is able to close this gap (Maybe a high-end CPU and GPU does the trick) BlackBerry will have a bright future!

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 and FRG_RC like this.
    11-09-13 11:59 AM
    I have not read all of the posts. I think 10.2.1 will be a convoluted way for Android with Google Play on BB10. It will alienate BB10 developers.

Why not have BlackBerry hardware with Android 4.2.2 OS wrapped in BB10-like UI with BB Hub and BBM? BlackBerry Android phone would be a bigger seller than BB10 with Android Runtime.
    Because Android is resource heavy and BB10 is not.
    11-09-13 12:31 PM
    11-09-13 12:32 PM
    Because Android is resource heavy and BB10 is not.
    Wrong. KitKat only requires 512mb ram . I don't see any BlackBerry 10 devices with 512mb ram
    rnhld likes this.
    11-09-13 12:39 PM
    Wrong. KitKat only requires 512mb ram . I don't see any BlackBerry 10 devices with 512mb ram
    This.

Those crackheads live in a BlackBerry fantasy world

C00019C6F
    11-09-13 12:42 PM
    To me, this potential plan or BB/Google agreement only makes sense if BlackBerry is exiting the consumer handset business. Or if Google was showing interest in buying BlackBerry and part of the sell was BB showing Google how easy it would be to make the legacy BB10 devices compatible with the Android apps. Ie. Google buys BlackBerry and is able to support existing BB10 users. Now that would be off the table unless Google makes a takeover offer.
    11-09-13 12:50 PM
717 ... 1516171819 ...