That is app dependant. I have downloaded native BB10 apps from BlackberryWorld that wanted a ridiculous excess of permissions too.

Posted via CB10
    Your 100% correct. The Android ported apps. Have you ever downloaded from Google Play?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 01:35 PM
    Utter nonsense.

Why do you buy a SAMSUNG device instead of an HTC or LG one? Because you like the Samsung device. And Samsung's customizations on Android. And you can't get those on anything else.

Why do you buy a BlackBerry that can run all Android apps? Because you like the Hub. You REALLY like the integrated email and social apps that just plain work instead of having to screw around with add-ons and switching between this and that. You like peek and flow. You like the superior connection security, including (if they're smart and open it up to everyone) in-built S/MIME. You want the built-in IPSEC/IKEv2 VPN. And you want the native apps like Mireo that BlackBerry does have, which I freaking LOVE (and which, incidentally is IMHO superior to Copilot, the competitive Android offering.)

In short, you want what makes it a BB10 device, but you would like to run Android apps.

Will this "kill" native development? Not among smart developers who see a market for their products. Among the cheap and dumb? Yep, but they should die; that's what a market does, allocate among the smart and the stupid.

This move makes the BB10 devices UNIQUE and DISTINCT among Android-capable devices.

And it should have been done a year ago.
    THIS!

Even if a BB10 phone could access the Play Store and download any Android app, I know that I FOR ONE, would still choose a "Built for BlackBerry" app over an equivalent Android app any day of the week. It's just that NOW I would be able to at least get SOMETHING when no equivalent native app exists! (e.g.: Instagram, Netflix, etc...)
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    11-08-13 02:23 PM
    Took me all day, but whew! This thread is definitely a cliff hanger. I, like many others, hope this comes true. There are so many pros and very few cons to this. All the crying about not having apps will definitely go away AND we'll be the only ones who can say whole-heartedly say "I can run BB and Android apps."
    11-08-13 02:31 PM
    On the one hand, if BBRY pulls this off, it could be a good thing for current users. On the other hand, it does make me a bit nervous with regards to BBRY's plans for BB10.

Time will tell. At least BBRY isn't sitting pat.
    It would be great if BB could generate stats from Goolge play for developers to show them how many DL's were from BB10 phones. From there they could make a compelling case to developers to actually develop native apps assuming strong demand is there.
    11-08-13 02:33 PM
    This is some interesting development if it panes out and I think also logical. I think BlackBerry is at a point where it has to adopt Android and the only way they can do it if they still want to keep QNX under the hood is with a runtime. Sort of like parallel desktop on Mac OS.

And because BlackBerry 10 uses ressources so efficiently, it can easily manage to do it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 02:45 PM
    11-08-13 02:54 PM
    Must be my playbook. You know that BBRY device

Attachment 218504
    Did you break the interwebs? What am I going to do to you?

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    11-08-13 03:04 PM
    Nahhh...

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 03:05 PM
    Nahhh...

Nah what?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:10 PM
    Nah what?

Posted via CB10
    I read it. It might be real, but it's just as likely that it's showing a screen shot from an Android, and Photoshopped. I won't believe it until it actually happens or there's real proof.

11-08-13 03:12 PM
    I read it. It might be real, but it's just as likely that it's showing a screen shot from an Android, and Photoshopped. I won't believe it until it actually happens or there's real proof.

I agree.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:16 PM
    I can't view the images on the OP anymore. Anyone else?
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    11-08-13 03:21 PM
    I can't view the images on the OP anymore. Anyone else?
    Strange.. still there for me.
    11-08-13 03:34 PM
    Strange.. still there for me.
    It just says "ATTACHEMENT XXXX" and the pictures don't actually load, tells me something about contacting the admin if I followed a valid link, which it is..

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:38 PM
    It just says "ATTACHEMENT XXXX" and the pictures don't actually load, tells me something about contacting the admin if I followed a valid link, which it is..

Posted via CB10
    same here
    11-08-13 03:53 PM
    Actually you're incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I'm not associated with the OP. I don't even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier's control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It's not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you'll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher.

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It's just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It's not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to.

This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming. The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it.

He's not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it. Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that's because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because "something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog" which translates to "you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem"

http://i.imgur.com/2A1HGCG.png
    NOTE: Brian is not my source of the information nor has he leaked anything.

I mean, go ahead and say I'm bull****ting or lying but it's no coincidence that 10.2.1 leaks have magically stopped occurring and that random people other than myself are getting the same information leaked to them where our stories match one another. The 10.2.1 builds are up to four digits now and we only have early stage full builds.
    Eric Schmidt helped. Blackberry fan
    11-08-13 03:55 PM
    Images from other post.

Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_00000214.jpg

Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_00000217.jpg

Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_00000219.jpg

Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_00000220.jpg
    11-08-13 04:02 PM
    Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Rated 'Buy' By Jefferies

Do you guys believe me yet? Lol. This has been in the works for months! Just found this article 5 minutes ago

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.1037
    This is far back, that it could be referring to that small start up that could take Android OR iOS apps and play them on BB10. It's been discussed on this site before. With that case, the company had to provide their source code to the company to convert, plus provide a cut/royalties of the app. I forget the name of the company, but it was discussed on CB many moons ago.
    11-08-13 04:21 PM
    There's no other way to look at this other than a HUGE kick in the teeth for BlackBerry developers by the company. I have learned cascades and was in the process of making an app that lets you backup and restore your entire phone from the SD card, but now that I've read this I will hold off any further work until I find out what's going on.

From what I understand about the relationship between reviews and downloads, the dev for Bemaps 10 pro has made at least $40k from that app alone, but obviously that revenue would quickly go to 0 if someone can just download Google maps directly. This is as an example.

I'd also feel pretty dumb about having spent close to $300 on apps, some of which are really awesome, but the fact is for most of them I can just get the same thing for free from Android.

Native BlackBerry apps are frequently very functional, but lack the visual appeal and robustness of many Android apps that have bigger devs. For an example download myshopi from bbw which is an android port. This is a good android port and you can see its visually appealing, it's a 16 mb program. Nothing native that's anything like this

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23996641

So at least in the short term this will totally kill native development because a lot of the good native devs are just going to say F BlackBerry and move on.

I recognize that it would be a great advancement for bb users and would take away one of the big impediments to selling bb10 phones. It would be a good move for the company, overall. But it's another example of blackberry shafting people who are loyal to them

Also I object to caitlinxd reasoning that they want to keep this under wraps because it would boost the stock price. So if this is true I really doubt that a bb employee told him /her that part, it must be his own reasoning. Such an announcement would have little immediate impact on blackberry stock price, because it's not clear that it will automatically result in greater profits for the company. This is from my substantial experience in the financial markets

They'd want to keep it under wraps
    A) because they have not finalized exactly what they're going to do, and they want to control the flow of information themselves
    B) protect the revenues of bbw until this actually gets released

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:23 PM
    Images from other post.
    Interesting, but when I see pictures like that, I immediately think of how effortless it would be to fake them. We live in a world where all smartphones can take a screen shot. All you'd need to make those images is a Android, a BlackBerry 10 device, MS paint and a low quality camera to snap photos of the BlackBerry displaying the altered images from the gallery app. The entire thing could be faked in a matter of minutes with very little effort. Also, can't forget that whatever camera was used to capture those images could have been used to capture a much harder to fake video. A video of it working would pretty convincing.

Would be awesome if it turns out to be real, but I'm still not buying it.
    11-08-13 04:29 PM
    But why would a customer choose a Blackberry "Android" phone when they have a lot of native Android phones to choose from? And only Samsung is making any money from their phones. So I ask again, why would someone choose a Blackberry Android emulation phone over a Samsung native Android phone?
    Because they mostly want the BB10 side, and might only want Android for a certain 1-2 applications. OS != apps. Have you missed all the threads where people say they'd have bought a BB10 because they like it but it didn't have X app that they really needed? The thread about the medical apps not being made on BB10?

The point of this is to get more app availability that isn't currently there.
    11-08-13 04:31 PM
    The problem with your statement is that developers who are developing for the phone will stop developing and move to Android. That what I would/will do. So there will be no native apps, other than the ones that currently exist.
    Except they could do that already. You are not a developer, don't speak for them.
    11-08-13 04:32 PM
    There's no other way to look at this other than a HUGE kick in the teeth for BlackBerry developers by the company. I have learned cascades and was in the process of making an app that lets you backup and restore your entire phone from the SD card, but now that I've read this I will hold off any further work until I find out what's going on.

From what I understand about the relationship between reviews and downloads, the dev for Bemaps 10 pro has made at least $40k from that app alone, but obviously that revenue would quickly go to 0 if someone can just download Google maps directly. This is as an example.

I'd also feel pretty dumb about having spent close to $300 on apps, some of which are really awesome, but the fact is for most of them I can just get the same thing for free from Android.

Native BlackBerry apps are frequently very functional, but lack the visual appeal and robustness of many Android apps that have bigger devs. For an example download myshopi from bbw which is an android port. This is a good android port and you can see its visually appealing, it's a 16 mb program. Nothing native that's anything like this

Shopping List - myShopi - BlackBerry World

So at least in the short term this will totally kill native development because a lot of the good native devs are just going to say F BlackBerry and move on.

I recognize that it would be a great advancement for bb users and would take away one of the big impediments to selling bb10 phones. It would be a good move for the company, overall. But it's another example of blackberry shafting people who are loyal to them

Also I object to caitlinxd reasoning that they want to keep this under wraps because it would boost the stock price. So if this is true I really doubt that a bb employee told him /her that part, it must be his own reasoning. Such an announcement would have little immediate impact on blackberry stock price, because it's not clear that it will automatically result in greater profits for the company. This is from my substantial experience in the financial markets

They'd want to keep it under wraps
    A) because they have not finalized exactly what they're going to do, and they want to control the flow of information themselves
    B) protect the revenues of bbw until this actually gets released

Posted via CB10
    But why pack up shop? Aren't dev's competitive in their field? Make your app stand out, better than what's available elsewhere. What sense does it make to give up, and concede to the Android Dev's.

I wish people would see this for what it is "The Alternative". If we can't find your app on BBW, then you leave us no choice but to go to the Play Store.

And FYI, your app would be a great one to have. Backup's on the go!!! I'm not to fond of the cloud just yet.
    mnc76, SDTRMG and 8lackberry8 like this.
    11-08-13 04:42 PM
    Looks photoshopped, I'll give an 8 for effort.

11-08-13 04:42 PM

Or it could be the browser showing a page from the Play Store.

Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 04:43 PM
717 ... 910111213 ...