In order to get Google Play on a device, it has to be an Android device and Google demands all their services be loaded on it. That means you'll get Play Music/TV & Videos/Books/Magazines, Gmail, Drive, Hangouts, Maps, Google Search, YouTube, and I think this also includes apps like Google Drive, Keep, and QuickOffice.

You can't just get "Play Store" and whatever apps you dream you personally need. Google Apps come as a package deal, ask Barnes and Noble.

Additionally, Google doesn't give play store access to devices like that. I doubt they would give Google Apps access to a completely different operating system just because they ported a runtime over to piggy back off of Android's ecosystem.

All this, while Google is pushing 4.4 for every new device and trying to combat the "fragmentation" issue.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Lastly, the BB10 runtime is still crippled compared to a full Android OS so there are still apps hat don't run properly on it. I doubt Google would put developers in the position of having to deal with supporting users on devices running a completely different OS, using an intentionally crippled android runtime which causes issues with their apps on those devices.
    11-08-13 10:53 AM
    I believe this is what people are getting excited about:
    http://readwrite.com/2013/11/07/how-...omCv146yNzSu1g

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    kbz1960 and Anilu7 like this.
    11-08-13 10:53 AM
    That is app dependant. I have downloaded native BB10 apps from BlackberryWorld that wanted a ridiculous excess of permissions too.
    Posted via CB10
    Difference is with BB10 you can choose which ones you want or don't want, on google play it just tells you all the permissions, accept or reject, you can't choose which ones you want or don't want
    Last edited by NaijaBerry; 11-08-13 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Blunder!
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 10:54 AM
    According to the first two pages the runtime that may currently be worked on will not be crippled.

Posted via CB10
    Ealaionta likes this.
    11-08-13 10:54 AM
    My take. This would be hugely beneficial. it is a B B device, with the breadth of Android in a sandbox. How is that bad.

When asked "why would anyone develop for BB10" - the answer (over time) will be to make a better app. Have you seen the igrann app beta 2? Pretty great, and well on it's way to be much much better. In fact, in my opinion, it will only be a short time where the igrann app is better than the instagram app for Bb10 users.

Why? native Bb10 functionality, sharing, the UX, etc. To a person who likes BB10 - igrann is superior to instagram. Developers will need to see the benefits of customization to a platform to get an advantage. Will they? - who knows. Alot of that also depends upon their business model - and what they attempt to monetize. I am sure that many will not bother. But, there will be those where is really matters and will make a difference.
    ital1, kbz1960 and vrud like this.
    11-08-13 11:03 AM
    I could see BlackBerry improving their Android app compatibility much easier than I could see Google giving BlackBerry users direct Google Play access. In the end, I imagine it will be more of the same except with easier porting for Android developers and easier side loading for the pirates on BlackBerry 10.
    I agree that this is more likely, an easier way to run Android apps from outside of BBW than we have now. Maybe the ability to run the .apk files without converting to .bar files? Not that that would improve things much, you'd still have to get the .apk from somewhere just as most people just download a .bar from somewhere now and you'd still have to sideload I'd imagine - unless that can be changed so you can install from a local file on your device.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:04 AM
    That is really an interesting observation. It kinda made me think, huh?

I think the official android runtime update on BlackBerry World could suggest this move is coming very very soon!

Of course BlackBerry know that their app store is pretty pants....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by wincyUt; 11-08-13 at 02:16 PM.
    T.roy likes this.
    11-08-13 11:16 AM
    Don't you think if they are working closely with Google that this would be easily attainable? I'm not saying that I completely believe this at this point.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:20 AM
    As long as the apps don't get root access, I think this is a good thing. However, if they're given root access, you might as well be running android because installing apps will have the capacity to introduce the same security issues and lack of stability that exists on those devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:34 AM
    http://readwrite.com/2013/11/07/how-...omCv146yNzSu1g

interesting in the naming 'android runtime'

BlackBerry addict
    11-08-13 11:42 AM

Will this "kill" native development? Not among smart developers who see a market for their products. Among the cheap and dumb? Yep, but they should die; that's what a market does, allocate among the smart and the stupid.

This move makes the BB10 devices UNIQUE and DISTINCT among Android-capable devices.

And it should have been done a year ago.
    correct me if im wrong. so a developer would be dumb if they don't make a native BB app that BB already have access to from google play already? they would be smarter if they spend more money developing the same app even though the user have access to it already? BB is an extremely small player. you might have to consider it cost a lot of money maintaining and developing an app. sounds like a Netflix, insgram and all the other big players are dumb.
    11-08-13 11:46 AM
    Subscribed. Don't have time right now to finish reading but this sounds interesting, although a bit odd.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 12:11 PM
    Interesting link, but I don't see how it truly correlates to the OP's thread. People are not getting excited about what Google has in its pipeline with ART. Care to elaborate?

How Google May Be Planning To Make Android Apps Faster With ART – ReadWrite

11-08-13 12:22 PM
    this is what I want to believe;
    With 10.2.1 we will see installable APK files rather than BAR. so basically we won't need all the conversion and problems; BB World can easily integrate with Google Play and download/run every single app available; except the ones that are natively available. They won't be included. All Android devs need to do will be opening a BB World account, and their app will be visible in BB World in 24 hours.

I believe in this because there MUST be a reason why they didn't sell the company and found $1B..
    angieberry10 and johnnyuk like this.
    11-08-13 12:28 PM
    The problem with your statement is that developers who are developing for the phone will stop developing and move to Android. That what I would/will do. So there will be no native apps, other than the ones that currently exist.
    Not exactly. With so many android developers it will be harder to get noticed in the google play store, where it would be much easier to be noticed in BB world. Get big on one platform then push out to others.
    11-08-13 12:28 PM
    How Google May Be Planning To Make Android Apps Faster With ART – ReadWrite

Linky no good.
    11-08-13 12:32 PM
    Linky no good.
    Works for me. Must be you.

kbz1960 likes this.
    11-08-13 12:33 PM
    The problem with your statement is that developers who are developing for the phone will stop developing and move to Android. That what I would/will do. So there will be no native apps, other than the ones that currently exist.
    That's pure conjecture & supposition; just because you would/will do it, doesn't mean every single Dev will do the same.

Native apps are not being built fast enough for the BlackBerry App Ecosystem to catch up - plain & simple. The ones that are there, are great - and I've certainly contributed to their pocketbooks. They'll continue to stand out amongst Android ports - just as they do today. Differentiation is still there, despite having more competition - should Google Play actually surface on BB10.
    11-08-13 12:36 PM
    Difference is with BB10 you can choose which ones you want or don't want, on google play it just tells you all the permissions, accept or reject, you can't choose which ones you want or don't want
    Android 4.3+ allows granular control over App permissions, so you are wrong there.
    BrizzadMan and R Field like this.
    11-08-13 12:36 PM
    Works for me. Must be you.

Must be my playbook. You know that BBRY device

Friend tells me Google Play coming with 10.2.1-img_00000007.png
    11-08-13 12:38 PM
    I'm a little bit skeptical, but I could see Google agreeing to this. After all, it's just more money for Google from app purchases, while BlackBerry can (hopefully) move more handsets. However, they'd have to convince them that Android Player is up to snuff, and at least in 10.2.0, I don't think it is. Don't get me wrong, it's great and all, but look at Instagram as a prime example - commenting and video uploads are basically impossible. But hey, maybe they've made some crucial improvements in 10.2.1 - I haven't fiddled enough with the leaks we have to know.
    I could see this too but if I was Google I would ask for a cross licensing deal so Google would have access to the Patents that BB got when they went in with MS and Apple for those Nortel Patents and they couldn't sue Google anymore. If your not aware read the following on how these companies formed a group to be a Patent toll by acquiring Patents from a failed company specifically to take out a competitor.

Indistinguishable from evil | iMore

And this from an Apple fan site against how Apple is doing this.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 12:45 PM
    I agree that this is more likely, an easier way to run Android apps from outside of BBW than we have now. Maybe the ability to run the .apk files without converting to .bar files? Not that that would improve things much, you'd still have to get the .apk from somewhere just as most people just download a .bar from somewhere now and you'd still have to sideload I'd imagine - unless that can be changed so you can install from a local file on your device.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that is how Sailfish will work. Android apps won't need ported or converted. The Apps will just work as apk files. Now, I haven't investigated it that far, so I may be wrong, but I believe that is what they're doing.

If sailfish can do it, I'm sure there is no technical reasons that BlackBerry 10 couldn't also do it.
    11-08-13 12:51 PM
    I believe that is how Sailfish will work. Android apps won't need ported or converted. The Apps will just work as apk files. Now, I haven't investigated it that far, so I may be wrong, but I believe that is what they're doing.

If sailfish can do it, I'm sure there is no technical reasons that BlackBerry 10 couldn't also do it.
    There is absolutely no technical reason that BlackBerry couldn't do this, but there is a huge reason to be skeptical about the Google Play store. The only real thing stopping the Play Store would be that Google is not going to allow anyone who is not a member of the Open Handset Alliance to use the Google Play Store.

I don't see Google bending the rules for BlackBerry any time soon. So what we will end up with is all of the open source parts of Google, but we will be missing some of the proprietary API's that many apps need to run. People will be able to add their Android apps to BBW with minimal porting, but they will either have to be devoid of the Google suite API's or they will have to port the code to use BlackBerry API's instead.

If Google Play appeared on a Blackberry, it would blow my mind. But if they were somehow able to come to an agreement with Google on how the OS would run, it would be the best of both worlds. I still have and use my PlayBook, but recently upgraded to a Galaxy S4 from my 9930 (sniff.) just to get the latest thing. I really am hoping BlackBerry gets back on a sustainable path and that this rumor turns out to be true, because I need a gesture based OS, I need the hub, and I want that improved antenna of the z30, among other things.

Lets hope its true!
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 01:15 PM
    If you're buying anything from the Google Play Store, you're paying Google, not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry would get a cut along with Google and the Dev.
    11-08-13 01:25 PM
    Here's a question:

What would BlackBerry do about the apps on Google Play that don't work on the Dalvik VM even when unlocked?

How would they stop someone from downloading or worse buying something that just crashes because it uses something that isn't supported in the VM and then writing a bad review in Google Play and harassing the developers because they think it's the app's fault?

That's not going to impress Google Play's developers and pretty soon "BlackBerry 10 with Google Play" will be known as the platform where a Google Play app might run....or it might hurl up the contents of its binary stomach all over your phone's screen, it's like a lucky dip.

Hey! That's what they could call the BlackBerry version of Google Play.....Google Lucky Dip!

Posted via CB10
    Not saying I agree or disagree with this. But it was so funny I had to quote it so it can be read again!!

LMBO!!
    11-08-13 01:28 PM
717 ... 89101112 ...