No offence brah it just won't happen so rosy. Why would they waste time developing native app when they can kill too birds with 1 stone. If this is true this is serious problem. Especially for native devs. Cascades ui is much better then most apps. Swipe back alone kills 90% of apps on UI Front. This isn't a good thing just for lame apps. The uniform look will be lost amongst things you stated. This is'nt a good thing. You then question what's the point of BB10 if it's just android apps with no quality native access. I just find this a bad idea in long run encourages laziness and renders native tools useless almost. Not a fan of this rumour at all.
    Yup, I already don't download Android ports. The problem is that unless you have one consistent interface, then it gets confusing. Peek in this app, but not that one. Swipe this way or swipe that way for the same function. If this happens, I am out of here. BB10 will be dead to both consumers AND BUSINESS.
    11-08-13 08:03 AM
    This will not help Blackberry survive, but will put the final nail in the coffin.

If there are no native apps, and don't think that Android developers will spend the time learning native coding (C++/cascades) when they are Java programmers. They don't have to learn another language to get an app on a Blackberry. So native apps will go the way of the dodo. So this isn't good for the QNX platform.

If Blackberry mostly just runs Android apps, why not just buy an Android device. Do you think that Android users will buy a Blackberry now because it can run the same apps? Nope

If Blackberry devices just become a Android emulator, then why not just use an Android OS?

If they use an Android OS, they will lose all the business customers ( the ones that are buy the devices and services now ) to iOS and Windows Phone.

So if they want to kill off the company, go ahead and do this. I have been working on some native Blackberry apps and if I can just do it in Android, then I am dropping native BB10 development. I suspect most developers like myself will do the same.
    Anyone who is A developer will be pissed, but that's the route Blackberry needs to go. There are more consumers then developers out there.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 08:07 AM
    If Blackberry mostly just runs Android apps, why not just buy an Android device. Do you think that Android users will buy a Blackberry now because it can run the same apps? Nope

If Blackberry devices just become a Android emulator, then why not just use an Android OS?
    People will continue to buy BlackBerry devices for the flexibility offered, especially if this comes to fruition. They will buy it, because of the differentiated OS - that can run native apps, AND Android apps. They will continue to do so, because BlackBerry it is not an Android device. They will buy devices because the platform will boast the most apps of any platform...

Posted via CB10
    Ealaionta and SDTRMG like this.
    11-08-13 08:23 AM
    Anyone who is A developer will be pissed, but that's the route Blackberry needs to go. There are more consumers then developers out there.

Posted via CB10
    But why would a customer choose a Blackberry "Android" phone when they have a lot of native Android phones to choose from? And only Samsung is making any money from their phones. So I ask again, why would someone choose a Blackberry Android emulation phone over a Samsung native Android phone?
    11-08-13 08:26 AM
    People will continue to buy BlackBerry devices for the flexibility offered, especially if this comes to fruition. They will buy it, because of the differentiated OS - that can run native apps, AND Android apps. They will continue to do so, because BlackBerry it is not an Android device. They will buy devices because the platform will boast the most apps of any platform...

Posted via CB10
    The problem with your statement is that developers who are developing for the phone will stop developing and move to Android. That what I would/will do. So there will be no native apps, other than the ones that currently exist.
    11-08-13 08:28 AM
    No offence brah it just won't happen so rosy. Why would they waste time developing native app when they can kill too birds with 1 stone. If this is true this is serious problem. Especially for native devs.
    It won't be rosy, and neither is the company's situation. All the native apps aren't saving the platform... and devs have been able to jump on board for well over a year now. How long is too long?

Built for BlackBerry apps will still be differentiated and promoted. Bottom line, they need to fix the app situation themselves - cause there just isn't enough dev support to catch up with other platforms. The app ecosystem salespitch for BB10 must change ASAP.

Either jump on board - improve your built for BlackBerry apps, or get run over by the Google train.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 08:30 AM
    This will not help Blackberry survive, but will put the final nail in the coffin.

If there are no native apps, and don't think that Android developers will spend the time learning native coding (C++/cascades) when they are Java programmers. They don't have to learn another language to get an app on a Blackberry. So native apps will go the way of the dodo. So this isn't good for the QNX platform.

If they use an Android OS, they will lose all the business customers ( the ones that are buy the devices and services now ) to iOS and Windows Phone.

So if they want to kill off the company, go ahead and do this. I have been working on some native Blackberry apps and if I can just do it in Android, then I am dropping native BB10 development. I suspect most developers like myself will do the same.
    Utter nonsense.

Why do you buy a SAMSUNG device instead of an HTC or LG one? Because you like the Samsung device. And Samsung's customizations on Android. And you can't get those on anything else.

Why do you buy a BlackBerry that can run all Android apps? Because you like the Hub. You REALLY like the integrated email and social apps that just plain work instead of having to screw around with add-ons and switching between this and that. You like peek and flow. You like the superior connection security, including (if they're smart and open it up to everyone) in-built S/MIME. You want the built-in IPSEC/IKEv2 VPN. And you want the native apps like Mireo that BlackBerry does have, which I freaking LOVE (and which, incidentally is IMHO superior to Copilot, the competitive Android offering.)

In short, you want what makes it a BB10 device, but you would like to run Android apps.

Will this "kill" native development? Not among smart developers who see a market for their products. Among the cheap and dumb? Yep, but they should die; that's what a market does, allocate among the smart and the stupid.

This move makes the BB10 devices UNIQUE and DISTINCT among Android-capable devices.

And it should have been done a year ago.
    11-08-13 08:33 AM
    But why would a customer choose a Blackberry "Android" phone when they have a lot of native Android phones to choose from? And only Samsung is making any money from their phones. So I ask again, why would someone choose a Blackberry Android emulation phone over a Samsung native Android phone?
    Noooo. People need to understand this, just because it has access to Google play doesn't mean that it's now am android phone. It is still a Blackberry. Think of it like this, Would you rather buy an android phone or blackberry that has all the apps.

No one buys Blackberry for the lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    ATMJOE and anon(4044683) like this.
    11-08-13 08:34 AM
    google play would not fix the app problem.. alot of android ports dont even work on bb10.. take line for example.. it works but when i choose to video call, i get an error saying no camera is detected on my phone.. how would downloading such apps from google play instead of sideloading them fix this issue?

devs need to dedicate time to making sure android ports work with all aspects of the phone and all parts of the app are compatible with the device, for example not getting such an error above.. thats why android ports that appear bb world r there.. cos theyve been tested and work well..such as skype.. having the whole android app ecosystem on bb with all apps working is absolutely impossible.. and so to this post i say.. your friends are wrong..
    Exactly. Even this were all true your point is very valid. Its still the same code as a sideloaded bar file. Still will be the same errors and crashing on some stuff
    11-08-13 08:38 AM
    the only way for the BB10 OS to succeed is by Blackberry opening the android emulator and white listing some framework services. From a business standpoint this is the only way to address the apps issue as the competition is sooo far ahead there is no other way to do it. The fact that the BB10 OS is android capable makes this the only way forward from a business perspective. There will always be people for and against any decisions made or considered but had this been done at the launch of the Z10, where would we be now at this stage? Not having this discussion regarding the companies future I can safely say!
    11-08-13 08:44 AM
    Thoughts about native apps vs Android apps, don't you think BlackBerry would create a hybrid store? So it would be one store but all Android apps that we have native apps for would be removed?
    11-08-13 08:53 AM
    Yaaaay! First qwerty Android phone that works! If this happens BBW might as well be shut down, poor dedicated and loyal BFBB devs.......
    11-08-13 09:02 AM
    Very interesting thread.

Since it sounds as if there are folks who know that this is going to happen, I wonder what the precedent, once set will mean down the road. Jolla, Tizen then come calling for Play Store access will have this precedent to cite, should also expect the same treatment?

Also interesting to read this along with a story on Android Police regarding ART which is included as an option in Kit Kat Android 4.4 Google's attempt to move away from Dalvik. Would this have an affect on how BlackBerry runs Android applications down the road?
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 09:24 AM
    Revamp the look of the UI (i.e. the icons), add google play ... and BB is ready to seriously compete.
    11-08-13 09:28 AM
    Running android apps doesn't make BlackBerry and android phone... asking why would then people choose a BlackBerry is just meaningless..
    And yes it will kill native app developer... but if things work out, when consumers increases, more people will understand the advantage of cascades and there lies a chance for the smartest native app developers...
    This is the best and quickest move BlackBerry can do now to save this Beautiful OS...thats what i think.

Long live BlackBerry....

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 09:45 AM
    Really hoping everything works out for the best

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 09:59 AM
    I'm sorry to say this but right now BlackBerry needs to worry about the viability of their business more than the hurt feelings of a few developers given that half their app store is one developer.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and BCITMike like this.
    11-08-13 10:01 AM
    This is very interesting...I see some problems with the story in this thread but I won't judge. Let's see if this materializes. If it does this will be huge. All of the functionality of the Google platform in an optimized sandbox environment where you do not have to worry about malware taking over your device and where you still get all of the awesome benefits of the BlackBerry 10 platform. I only foresee one problem with this approach...where is the incentive to develop native apps then?
    11-08-13 10:03 AM
    Utter nonsense.

Why do you buy a SAMSUNG device instead of an HTC or LG one? Because you like the Samsung device. And Samsung's customizations on Android. And you can't get those on anything else.

Why do you buy a BlackBerry that can run all Android apps? Because you like the Hub. You REALLY like the integrated email and social apps that just plain work instead of having to screw around with add-ons and switching between this and that. You like peek and flow. You like the superior connection security, including (if they're smart and open it up to everyone) in-built S/MIME. You want the built-in IPSEC/IKEv2 VPN. And you want the native apps like Mireo that BlackBerry does have, which I freaking LOVE (and which, incidentally is IMHO superior to Copilot, the competitive Android offering.)

In short, you want what makes it a BB10 device, but you would like to run Android apps.

Will this "kill" native development? Not among smart developers who see a market for their products. Among the cheap and dumb? Yep, but they should die; that's what a market does, allocate among the smart and the stupid.

This move makes the BB10 devices UNIQUE and DISTINCT among Android-capable devices.

And it should have been done a year ago.
    If this happens and the price of the 30 comes down guess who will get the 30 instead of an android or other platform.
    southlander and grover5 like this.
    11-08-13 10:06 AM
    The only grain of truth I see to this story is perhaps further compatibility improvements to the android player that allows more apps to be ported.

BlackBerry bragged that something like 90% of android apps could be ported. And while that may be true, the problem is that the 10% that can't tend to be the well built apps that use Google Services like maps and those are ones people want. Maybe BlackBerry has found a way around this limitation. But, I sincerely doubt we'll see the google play store just dropped on bb10.

I have as much evidence to base my conclusion on as anyone else on this thread. That is to say, absolutely no physical evidence. No pictures or videos of it running. Just hearsay and guesses.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 10:06 AM
    It would mean goodbye to security. People who think this is great must have never downloaded from Google Play and all the permissions you MUST give.
    That is app dependant. I have downloaded native BB10 apps from BlackberryWorld that wanted a ridiculous excess of permissions too.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-08-13 10:11 AM
    One word: TouchWiz. Can't abide it, myself.
    11-08-13 10:21 AM
    The thread is bs end of story. Maybe it was his friends uncles brother sisters niece who's moms ex husband works at blackberry and is in the no.
    schmeat, Anilu7, amjass12 and 1 others like this.
    11-08-13 10:24 AM
    The problem with your statement is that developers who are developing for the phone will stop developing and move to Android. That what I would/will do. So there will be no native apps, other than the ones that currently exist.
    I think app developers do indeed care about providing quality experience. Access to Google Play will help move more BlackBerry 10 devices. As app-developers start seeing how often their app is downloaded on a BB10 devices, they might start making tweaks to optimize for BB10. Or even develop a brand new native Built for BlackBerry app. Sure, right now, app developers don't care too much about BB10 simply because there is not enough market. But if your app starts to see a lot of download from BB10 devices, it'd only be logical to improve experience for those users.

Exactly. Even this were all true your point is very valid. Its still the same code as a sideloaded bar file. Still will be the same errors and crashing on some stuff
    An app can crash and error out because of missing APIs. Lot of apps require Google Services (GSF) apis which are not enabled on BlackBerry's Android runtime and this causes those apps to crash and error out. If those APIs become available, apps won't error out anymore. It'd still be same code.

So, same code can indeed run better once missing APIs are added.
    11-08-13 10:31 AM
    An app can crash and error out because of missing APIs. Lot of apps require Google Services (GSF) apis which are not enabled on BlackBerry's Android runtime and this causes those apps to crash and error out. If those APIs become available, apps won't error out anymore. It'd still be same code.

So, same code can indeed run better once missing APIs are added.
    Correct. I have a small piano tuning Android app that has been sideloaded since the 10.1 days. Wouldn't run under 10.1, would open under 10.2 but not access microphone for pitch sensing. Installed the unlocked Android runtime yesterday and now have full functionality.
    11-08-13 10:50 AM
717 ... 7891011 ...