theres another thread where the guy is working on getting google apps to use google framwork services by decompiling the apks and stuff. never tried it but either way it looks like we might get usable google apps

CJH_: when i saw your first post in this forum I was wondering how I could ever get over 11,000 post count on the forums. your following 7 posts answered my question
    Yeah, I should have read the whole thread first, then replied in one post. But I wanted to get my thoughts out as I was thinking them.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 05:59 AM
    People have gotten Google Market (the pre-ICS version of Play) running on webOS using the Android compatibility layer that was just released, so there's no technical reason why this couldn't work. It involves getting the Google Apps and services framework APKs from third parties and installing them manually, though. So, I could imagine a scenario where BB10 users have to do some initial sideloading to get this stuff set up before they can start pulling stuff straight from the store. I'm skeptical that Google would allow BlackBerry to pre-load and distribute all that stuff that you have to belong to the Open Handset Alliance to get access to but I guess we'll see.

PS: use the 'like' button instead of this '+1' crap, people
    +1............
    11-08-13 06:09 AM
    Does android runtime play all the available apps and games on google store?
    11-08-13 06:09 AM
    BlackBerry understands that they just can't compete without apps and aren't enough major developers on board to fix app ecosystem.

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.896
    Yup.

What people fail to realize is that the time for BB10 to catch on fully on its own merits has LONG SINCE PASSED. They have nothing to lose anymore and haven't for quite some time now.

YES: This would be a kick in the balls for native developers, but the alternative is for the BB10 platform in its entirety to die. BB10 dying is arguably a BIGGER kick in the balls for developers AND all of us USERS!

Ideally they will use BB Balance technology to allow protection from malicious Android apps (e.g.: an Android sandbox) so that BB can run Android apps but maintain its market-differentiating security.
    garrett1972 likes this.
    11-08-13 06:13 AM
    Meh i wouldn't mind it having a Google play store honestly. It would make a lot of users happy, and fill in the apps gap. Obviously if I can get the same app on BlackBerry world in native cascades that's a no brainer, but for everything else that isn't there yet I can download in the meantime.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    mnc76 likes this.
    11-08-13 06:14 AM
    Does android runtime play all the available apps and games on google store?
    No. Not all the available apps and games work on all the available Android devices.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    11-08-13 06:14 AM
    I'll believe it when I see it.

The world is filled with devices that run Android yet cannot run the Google Play Store. Look at the Nabi 2, that is a children's tablet with hardware that basically matches the first Nexus 7. A very successful product that continues to sell very well. There are more Nabis sold than BlackBerry 10 devices.

I know several parents whom bought their kids a Nabi or Nabi 2 only to discover it can't run Google apps unless you root it. Which is easy to do on the Nabis, but the point remains. If you're Google, why let a completely irrelevant manfacuter on a completely different OS use the Google Play store, while not allowing other, more successful manufactures that actually use your OS? It just doesn't make any sense why Google would make an exception for BlackBerry. If they do, I expect to see a huge backlash from manufactures that aren't in the OHA and don't get to use Google Play.

What I think will happen is nothing new. I think BlackBerry will do what Jolla is doing. Jolla has been pestering me and other Android developers about bringing our apps to Sailfish. In their emails, they say every Android app will run, but they never mention having Google Play store. I could see BlackBerry improving their Android app compatibility much easier than I could see Google giving BlackBerry users direct Google Play access. In the end, I imagine it will be more of the same except with easier porting for Android developers and easier side loading for the pirates on BlackBerry 10.
    11-08-13 06:23 AM
    My major issue with all of this is that -- except for Android apps that use Open GL -- the absolute best running Android apps are still extremely slow. For example, SoundCloud, FlipBoard etc... run slower than they do on a Galaxy S3 which has almost identical hardware to the Z10.

FlipBoard's animations run great, but as soon as any network access or 2D GUI stuff is required, there are always major pauses and comparitively long waiting times. The SoundCloud web app in the browser actually runs MUCH faster than the sideload. I don't quite get how JavaScript outperforms Android bytecode... Networking and things such as scrolling stutter like crazy in sideloads when zipping through long lists (like the Instagram sideloads), but are super smooth in the browser webapp versions. (FYI: I'm running 10.2.0.424 official on a Z10 STL100-3 - straight-up sideloads -- no debug tokens, no unlocked runtime).

On the other hand, the parts of Google Maps that work run SUPER FAST!! I mean crazy fast!

If this is going to work (Google Play on BB10), then they will have to sort this issue out or people will be getting a mediocre Android app experience on BB10.
    11-08-13 06:32 AM
    If the posts in the first two pages were read correctly, than the runtime time will be added to to ensure that if runs like native.

So the issues you referring to will hopefully be sorted

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:42 AM
    I can totally see a deal like this working out. Especially considering that the chairman of Google is a BlackBerry user and fan.
    R Field likes this.
    11-08-13 06:47 AM
    I can totally see a deal like this working out. Especially considering that the chairman of Google is a BlackBerry user and fan.
    Let's hope it's already a done deal rather then in the process of negotiations.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 07:04 AM
    Not going to happen.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    UnlimitedEra likes this.
    11-08-13 07:13 AM
    expect i0S has way more applications then BBW and Android.

If anything the "app problem" won't be as much as a conversation when reviewers talk about BB10. They'll be able to concentrate on the actual device/software.

This also let's BB brag about BB10 as the M2M solution, and how powerful QNX can be.
    Apple got beaten by Android years ago and it just keeps getting worse:

http://readwrite.com/2013/01/08/goog...omBCEOe2MASb2o

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    11-08-13 07:17 AM
    If you're buying anything from the Google Play Store, you're paying Google, not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    That is my point. In other words, rather than having many andriod ports in BBworld, if you had to download them directly from the play store and thus circumventing any profit from BlackBerry it would still be in the best interest of the platform in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 07:25 AM
    DESPERATION!

If BlackBerry wants to sell devices to consumers, if BlackBerry wants enterprise to buy devices and the licenses to go with them for BES... maybe forgoing any profits from sales of apps is the price they need to pay?
    Going The Distance likes this.
    11-08-13 07:28 AM
    On android, in order to get Google play, you must allow Google services. Reason why Amazon tablets don't run the play store. So how exactly would BlackBerry work that one out?

Posted via CB10
    I thought it had to do with forcing everyone to use the amozon echo system so amozon can make money instead of google.
    Terser Nori and russworman like this.
    11-08-13 07:28 AM
    People have gotten Google Market (the pre-ICS version of Play) running on webOS using the Android compatibility layer that was just released, so there's no technical reason why this couldn't work. It involves getting the Google Apps and services framework APKs from third parties and installing them manually, though. So, I could imagine a scenario where BB10 users have to do some initial sideloading to get this stuff set up before they can start pulling stuff straight from the store. I'm skeptical that Google would allow BlackBerry to pre-load and distribute all that stuff that you have to belong to the Open Handset Alliance to get access to but I guess we'll see.

PS: use the 'like' button instead of this '+1' crap, people
    +2?
    coldfir3 likes this.
    11-08-13 07:36 AM
    I'm sure some people remember the early days of Dingleberry and Playbook rooting where it was possible to use Google App Store (or whatever it was called before Play). My Playbook showed up in my list of Android devices.

It was short lived but it certainly was doable.
    11-08-13 07:40 AM
    Yea but then bbw is useless...

Why bother having native apps at all then!?

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    This.
    11-08-13 07:40 AM
    Not going to happen.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    What makes you say that?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 07:43 AM
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    If this were indeed to become reality, what will be the point of BlackBerry World then? Just for downloading BlackBerry-made native apps? Why would any developer want to develop native app for BlackBerry anymore? Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    Interesting. I would hope developers will still want to develop native apps for BB10. I mean, it would be pointless if all our apps were just Android apps. Many of my apps right now are native and it is ideal, but if those developers just say forget it get the Android version I and many other BB10 users will be missing out. I'm kind of torn at this news. I want it for the sake of keeping this company making devices I like, but I don't because I would rather not have the Android apps that aren't really made for my phone. Don't get me wrong, many ported apps have actually been ported well and are pretty decent, but the native apps have always been better. They flow with the OS.
    Why would developers want to develop native apps? There is no benefit. Might be that BB10 native development is dead with this announcement and that we haven't seen a road map for 10.3 SDK.
    11-08-13 07:45 AM
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    If this were indeed to become reality, what will be the point of BlackBerry World then? Just for downloading BlackBerry-made native apps? Why would any developer want to develop native app for BlackBerry anymore? Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    You do realise BB10 is a QNX based OS?

Please wiki QNX technology.

Posted via CB10
    Who cares if all the apps are Android running on an Android emulator. If there are no native apps, who cares about QNX?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-08-13 07:51 AM
    No offence brah it just won't happen so rosy. Why would they waste time developing native app when they can kill too birds with 1 stone. If this is true this is serious problem. Especially for native devs. Cascades ui is much better then most apps. Swipe back alone kills 90% of apps on UI Front. This isn't a good thing just for lame apps. The uniform look will be lost amongst things you stated. This is'nt a good thing. You then question what's the point of BB10 if it's just android apps with no quality native access. I just find this a bad idea in long run encourages laziness and renders native tools useless almost. Not a fan of this rumour at all.
    11-08-13 07:54 AM
    Will the current BlackBerry 10 hardware be able to run the Android apps nicely if this happens???
    Cuz the hardware specs on BlackBerry 10 devices are a lil behind I guess that doesn't affect the OS ie BlackBerry 10 but will it be able to handle the Android apps???

Just asking??

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    11-08-13 07:57 AM
    This will not help Blackberry survive, but will put the final nail in the coffin.

If there are no native apps, and don't think that Android developers will spend the time learning native coding (C++/cascades) when they are Java programmers. They don't have to learn another language to get an app on a Blackberry. So native apps will go the way of the dodo. So this isn't good for the QNX platform.

If Blackberry mostly just runs Android apps, why not just buy an Android device. Do you think that Android users will buy a Blackberry now because it can run the same apps? Nope

If Blackberry devices just become a Android emulator, then why not just use an Android OS?

If they use an Android OS, they will lose all the business customers ( the ones that are buy the devices and services now ) to iOS and Windows Phone.

So if they want to kill off the company, go ahead and do this. I have been working on some native Blackberry apps and if I can just do it in Android, then I am dropping native BB10 development. I suspect most developers like myself will do the same.
    11-08-13 08:00 AM
717 ... 678910 ...