With this now occurring I can see why in future BES 10 updates there will be the new activation type of 'EMM Regulated Balance', allowing total lock down of the 'work' side and partial lock down of the personal side.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    11-08-13 02:26 AM
    Although good for current owners I can't see how this helps blackberry at all. Another revenue stream lost.

No more income from app sales, following on from losing legacy income with BBM on Andriod and the hard sell of selling blackberry's on the basis that they are now andriod compatible .....

Why wouldn't people just buy an andriod phone?

And not all apps run on all andriod fones, Skygo (for example) only runs on certain handsets even where they run the same andriod version, so this isn't going to give access to everything.....

Sent via my S3 and tapatalk
    maybe giggle paid/is paying them, not likely, just a thought...
    11-08-13 02:39 AM
    This is very exciting news but I love the way that with native apps you can restrict certain permissions which I don't believe you can do with android apps, although I think you can on android 4.3.

So, I think it is essential that if the Android apps will be available through BlackBerry world it needs to show it is an android app and what permissions it needs as I don't want to waste my time downloading apps that require every permission just for a flashlight.

I'm also a little concerned about the security of these apps as the play store seems to have little vetting of apps but Blackberry's reputation is security which is why they have an approval process and scanning of apps in the store by trend Micro.

Exciting times though.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 02:49 AM
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/res...-by-jefferies/

Android App Virtualization:

The Blackberry 10 has got the support from a private company, which will allow the whole Android catalog to be ported on BB10 devices, and the user will feel that the whole catalog is native and has not been ported. The company will provide the solution that will be a link between BB10 and Android ecosystem of more than 700,000 touch enabled apps
    Do you guys believe me yet? Lol. This has been in the works for months! Just found this article 5 minutes ago

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.1037
    SteelGreek and m1kr0 like this.
    11-08-13 03:05 AM
    how is that different from the convert and sideload debacle that exists now
    It's different because it will be the consumer friendly wrapped up in cotton wool as easy as using BBW way of downloading and installing Android apps rather than the technical and off putting way if side loading we have right now that many people complain about being too difficult for them.

As such the average consumer user will expect that if Android apps are presented to them as easily as they are in BBW then they should all work. But if it's just the Dalvik VM then they won't all work and that will be one bad user experience.

Posted via CB10
    snihed likes this.
    11-08-13 03:14 AM
    This is gonna be like Samsung.
    2 awesome stores, Samsung Store, and Google play..

Posted via CB10
    thisiscjay likes this.
    11-08-13 03:21 AM
    It would be interesting to see how market opens today.
    11-08-13 03:38 AM
    if the app gap were to close maybe people would give bb10 a chance and see how good it actually is.. and if we get the numbers we'll get more devs..

wishful thinking.
    11-08-13 03:42 AM
    Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Rated 'Buy' By Jefferies

Do you guys believe me yet? Lol. This has been in the works for months! Just found this article 5 minutes ago

You do realize that you are posting something that is potentially bigger than any leak, any recent announcement or development. This can be the biggest single incident to ensure a turnaround for BlackBerry. I suddenly have a whole lot of hope for this Company after reading the post. Great stuff, beware the competition, BB is on the move!!!
    11-08-13 03:52 AM
    The ONE thing that bothers me with all of this......remember Kris and the Instagram debacle? Yeah, that.
    He was basically right, Igrann and BlackGram.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1803 O2 UK
    11-08-13 03:56 AM
    That's what I thought too, why would any developer make a native BlackBerry10 app if this happens? It's like they are turning BlackBerrys to androids slowly.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I think this will be better for the BlackBerry 10 native developers in the long run. I think that native BB10 apps are still smoother than even the terrific JellyBean apps on 10.2. While Android apps are increasingly improving their UIs by bypassing the standard UI paradigms of Android with the back button or menu button at the bottoms of the screens, they still aren't as impressive as the native UIs that can be built in Cascades like BloomBerg, iHeartRadio, Neatly, Blaq, USA Today, MLB, etc. They also won't have active frames, gorgeous sharing capabilities, toast / reply capabilities, or great hub integration, or any real integration worth mentioning that BB10 apps are capable of.

The main challenge right now is to get as many consumers onto BlackBerry 10 no matter what, and having the big name Android apps like Instagram, Netflix, Vine, Candy Crush, etc. can make that happen. Once people get onto BB10 in larger numbers, it will be a much stronger case to get these big name vendors to create native app versions. Meanwhile the smaller app vendors already making great BB10 apps will have even greater audience of people to buy their apps as they can exploit more features mentioned above. I'll continue to use / buy native apps over a port anyday, but in the meantime I'll take an Android port over nothing at all.
    11-08-13 04:01 AM
    The only one thing that I hope will happen is. A Z30 with upgraded camera. I will surely dig that and support buying another BlackBerry phone just because I always love under dog.

Also this would open up more possibility to compete with the upcoming Tizen from Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:19 AM
    Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Rated 'Buy' By Jefferies

This sounds like Handster, the company that got in trouble for repackaging Android apps without permission...
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-08-13 04:31 AM
    The best part is to make blackberry world split in two like world and moon - world would be native or semi native ported apps and moon will be all android apps in the google store. So you get BB APP WORLD and BB APP MOON. SO they can also check which apps are running with MOON
    11-08-13 04:45 AM
    The Runtime being available for DL from BB World has nothing to do with Google Play.
    Every BB10 device has the Runtime built in. This is a (minor) update to it for devices running 10.2.

What does your friend do? Why does he think this is happening?

I think he's mistaken, but would love to hear more and be proven wrong.
    I also think this is a mistake, Google would never allow direct acces to their App store by a competitor.
    Look at Amazon, they have their own app store with many of the same apps.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    11-08-13 04:50 AM
    Actually you're incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I'm not associated with the OP. I don't even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier's control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It's not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you'll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher.

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It's just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It's not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to.

This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming. The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it.

He's not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it. Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that's because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because "something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog" which translates to "you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem"

http://i.imgur.com/2A1HGCG.png
    NOTE: Brian is not my source of the information nor has he leaked anything.

I mean, go ahead and say I'm bull****ting or lying but it's no coincidence that 10.2.1 leaks have magically stopped occurring and that random people other than myself are getting the same information leaked to them where our stories match one another. The 10.2.1 builds are up to four digits now and we only have early stage full builds.
    BlackBerry are NOT members of the Open Handset Alliance; so how could they and Google came to an agreement to bypass it?

Also, there are plenty of people running leaked builds of 10.2.1.x and they're not 'whitlisted' nor are their BB10 devices bricked.
    Your 'argument' is moot.

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html

11-08-13 04:58 AM
    Here's a question:

What would BlackBerry do about the apps on Google Play that don't work on the Dalvik VM even when unlocked?

How would they stop someone from downloading or worse buying something that just crashes because it uses something that isn't supported in the VM and then writing a bad review in Google Play and harassing the developers because they think it's the app's fault?

That's not going to impress Google Play's developers and pretty soon "BlackBerry 10 with Google Play" will be known as the platform where a Google Play app might run....or it might hurl up the contents of its binary stomach all over your phone's screen, it's like a lucky dip.

Hey! That's what they could call the BlackBerry version of Google Play.....Google Lucky Dip!

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Google wouldn't want this as it would detract from Android.

cheadlender likes this.
    11-08-13 05:09 AM
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    I want to support your argument with a post I wrote a few months ago (I'm not hijacking):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...98/index2.html (my full post is #31)

The paragraphs of interest are where I stated "...I would have liked to have seen a full Android 4.x stack running inside a mobile hypervisor, such as OKL4 or Red Bend's VLX.

This would have required no "porting" work on RIM's behalf. Instead, an actual copy of Android, with a complete Linux kernel, could be run as a "Guest" OS within QNX. But it was not to be..."

Last edited by CJH_; 11-08-13 at 05:50 AM.
    11-08-13 05:20 AM
    google play would not fix the app problem.. alot of android ports dont even work on bb10.. take line for example.. it works but when i choose to video call, i get an error saying no camera is detected on my phone.. how would downloading such apps from google play instead of sideloading them fix this issue?

devs need to dedicate time to making sure android ports work with all aspects of the phone and all parts of the app are compatible with the device, for example not getting such an error above.. thats why android ports that appear bb world r there.. cos theyve been tested and work well..such as skype.. having the whole android app ecosystem on bb with all apps working is absolutely impossible.. and so to this post i say.. your friends are wrong..
    11-08-13 05:28 AM
    Because you're technically still sideloading it even if you install it from Play Store on device. Unless you're installing BB10 applications from BlackBerry World (includes ports), you are sideloading. There's no contradiction, buckaroo.
    Installing an Android app directly from the Play Store (if it ever became available to BB10) onto your BlackBerry and running it is not sideloading. Sideloading is taking an app and loading it from an external source.

Installing carefully selected Android ports from BlackBerry World is also not sideloading.

11-08-13 05:29 AM
    I heard that Google paid developer in cash for native program development. Sounds like a workable idea.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:32 AM
    My friend's dad was an original employee of QNX way back in the day in Ottawa. And with his knowledge of the operating system, he has told me that he has done this (he no longer works for either QNX or Blackberry). So in my mind there is no question it is technically possible as my friend has constantly argued this should have been done from day one. Maybe Google wanted to see BlackBerry almost dead and in a very weakened state before agreeing to it. In many ways kind of reminiscent of Microsoft waiting until Apple was almost dead before cooperating with Apple to bring Office suite of products to Mac devices - and also to help deal with all those anti-trust charges.

As far as how this affects BB10 native build apps, I see it as only a good thing. More devices sold means more potential buyers of native apps. So maybe some developers will choose to just stick with the Android version of the app, but as more and more devices get sold, they may see the economic value in building native. But even for developers who have already built native, hard to see the downside in any development that results in more BB10 devices being in consumers hands.
    When you friend's dad was developing at QNX, the Play Store did not exist. So he couldn't have done what you claim.

He could however, have used a virtualisation layer or hypervisor to run another OS from within QNX.

Last edited by CJH_; 11-08-13 at 05:49 AM.
    11-08-13 05:36 AM
    This sounds like Handster, the company that got in trouble for repackaging Android apps without permission...
    It is Handster.

11-08-13 05:38 AM
    Yeah that pisek guy commented on this before.
    11-08-13 05:47 AM
    theres another thread where the guy is working on getting google apps to use google framwork services by decompiling the apks and stuff. never tried it but either way it looks like we might get usable google apps

CJH_: when i saw your first post in this forum I was wondering how I could ever get over 11,000 post count on the forums. your following 7 posts answered my question
    Ealaionta likes this.
    11-08-13 05:56 AM
717 ... 56789 ...