Lets hope it comes soon! It will be great for Blackberry

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055
    11-08-13 12:56 AM
    When crackberry.com does a write up on this then I will believe it.

Until then we wait.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    they'll (re)write it up after it's been broke on one of the other sites,,, cb rarely breaks news,,, keep your eyes on the other outlets,,, or better yet, make friends w/ the op or CatlinFD...
    ATMJOE likes this.
    11-08-13 01:02 AM
    It's easy to see backlash from the BlackBerry development community, however, anything that makes BlackBerry stronger has to be the best option for all involved, including BlackBerry developers.

Competition will be tough but the best can thrive.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    all they have to do is switch teams...
    11-08-13 01:05 AM
    I'm sceptical, even after what Bla1ze said.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 01:08 AM
    interesting!
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-08-13 01:12 AM
    I'm sceptical, even after what Bla1ze said.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791

A nice write up on it will be appreciated from Bla1ze. Of course when more information becomes available.
    11-08-13 01:15 AM
    I just worry about what kinds of concessions BlackBerry would have had to make to Google to make this happen. They don't have the bargaining position Apple does, and I've been reading an awful lot lately about how restricting the rules can be, for getting Play Store access for official Android developers. I recall one of the major players (just can't remember which one) trying to release a non-Google Android phone in China recently, and having the entire project shut down because it was against their contract with Google to make any non-Google Android devices, even though Android itself is completely open source.

It'll be great to have the apps, don't get me wrong. I just hope that BlackBerry didn't have to sell too much of their soul to get them.

(also hope this doesn't spell the end of people making proper native BB10 apps)
    11-08-13 01:17 AM
    My sentiments also. Legally, what's the biggest obstacle here for such a venture to fly?
    11-08-13 01:20 AM
    Wonder how many Android apps will end up working on my Q10... very interested in having full Google Drive capability as well as Calibre Companion to sync with my Calibre library.
    11-08-13 01:24 AM
    BlackBerry probably offered Google the use of some patents in exchange for this. We'll fix your app ecosystem problem if you help us sue everyone we hate

well it probably didn't happen like this, but one can dream right ?
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 11-11-13 at 08:32 PM.
    11-08-13 01:25 AM
    I want to say that if this happens, BlackBerry will actually have the largest eco-system of any platform because you would have the same number of apps as Android, and you would still have the native apps that are currently in BlackBerry World.
    67k flashlight apps don't count...
    Ealaionta likes this.
    11-08-13 01:26 AM
    Great news. All the more reason for me to pursue the Z30 on VZW next week.
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    11-08-13 01:33 AM
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I thought too, why would any developer make a native BlackBerry10 app if this happens? It's like they are turning BlackBerrys to androids slowly.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 01:34 AM
    Introducing the BlackDroid OS
    Attachment 218378
    11-08-13 01:41 AM
    People have gotten Google Market (the pre-ICS version of Play) running on webOS using the Android compatibility layer that was just released, so there's no technical reason why this couldn't work. It involves getting the Google Apps and services framework APKs from third parties and installing them manually, though. So, I could imagine a scenario where BB10 users have to do some initial sideloading to get this stuff set up before they can start pulling stuff straight from the store. I'm skeptical that Google would allow BlackBerry to pre-load and distribute all that stuff that you have to belong to the Open Handset Alliance to get access to but I guess we'll see.

PS: use the 'like' button instead of this '+1' crap, people
    +1
    11-08-13 01:44 AM
    Awesome*1000 luv u BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Whoa whoa this is crazy good news if true as outlined. Will have to wait and see on this one. I'm really hoping you guys are right. This would be a game changer for sure.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    Last edited by R Field; 11-08-13 at 02:02 AM.
    A nice write up on it will be appreciated from Bla1ze. Of course when more information becomes available.
    it's available < NDA...
    11-08-13 01:53 AM
    Hey guys.

Just a quick note. Only provided the information because OP has let the cat out of the bag and that I want users to be excited and actually see that BlackBerry does indeed care about the platform and is going through extraordinary lengths to fix the problems with the OS, e.g. app ecosystem.

I'm sure they have a lot more up their sleeves and nothing I posted is actually damaging to BlackBerry, rather it's very positive news and I think I speak for all of us that we are all looking forward to see how BlackBerry finally implements this.

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.1037
    11-08-13 02:02 AM
    Although good for current owners I can't see how this helps blackberry at all. Another revenue stream lost.

No more income from app sales, following on from losing legacy income with BBM on Andriod and the hard sell of selling blackberry's on the basis that they are now andriod compatible .....

Why wouldn't people just buy an andriod phone?

And not all apps run on all andriod fones, Skygo (for example) only runs on certain handsets even where they run the same andriod version, so this isn't going to give access to everything.....

Sent via my S3 and tapatalk
    11-08-13 02:04 AM
    Hey guys.

Just a quick note. Only provided the information because OP has let the cat out of the bag and that I want users to be excited and actually see that BlackBerry does indeed care about the platform and is going through extraordinary lengths to fix the problems with the OS, e.g. app ecosystem.

I'm sure they have a lot more up their sleeves and nothing I posted is actually damaging to BlackBerry, rather it's very positive news and I think I speak for all of us that we are all looking forward to see how BlackBerry finally implements this.

All I have to say is wow. If this pans out BlackBerry will all of a sudden look like a very forward looking, smart company. Awesome.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-08-13 02:04 AM
    Seems like BlackBerry is again going to grab some fancy innovation and research awards.

:miss the RESEARCH IN MOTION name:

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    flyingsolid likes this.
    11-08-13 02:06 AM
    Could this be what "BlackBerry Blend" - mentioned in the leak topic - refers to? Or is that yet another new feature to look forward to?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    11-08-13 02:08 AM
    Although good for current owners I can't see how this helps blackberry at all. Another revenue stream lost.

No more income from app sales, following on from losing legacy income with BBM on Andriod and the hard sell of selling blackberry's on the basis that they are now andriod compatible .....

Why wouldn't people just buy an andriod phone?

And not all apps run on all andriod fones, Skygo (for example) only runs on certain handsets even where they run the same andriod version, so this isn't going to give access to everything.....

Sent via my S3 and tapatalk
    None of us know specific details of the agreement or how this will be implemented for launch. It could very well be that somehow they do make profits from offering Google Play on BlackBerry 10. You will have to wait and see before making such judgemental calls.

11-08-13 02:09 AM
    My friend's dad was an original employee of QNX way back in the day in Ottawa. And with his knowledge of the operating system, he has told me that he has done this (he no longer works for either QNX or Blackberry). So in my mind there is no question it is technically possible as my friend has constantly argued this should have been done from day one. Maybe Google wanted to see BlackBerry almost dead and in a very weakened state before agreeing to it. In many ways kind of reminiscent of Microsoft waiting until Apple was almost dead before cooperating with Apple to bring Office suite of products to Mac devices - and also to help deal with all those anti-trust charges.

As far as how this affects BB10 native build apps, I see it as only a good thing. More devices sold means more potential buyers of native apps. So maybe some developers will choose to just stick with the Android version of the app, but as more and more devices get sold, they may see the economic value in building native. But even for developers who have already built native, hard to see the downside in any development that results in more BB10 devices being in consumers hands.
    11-08-13 02:23 AM
717 ... 45678 ...