I'll believe it when I see it

I like the idea
    But part of me thinks this reeks of desperation

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, len pothier and Vacmfuzzy like this.
    11-07-13 07:41 PM
    When crackberry.com does a write up on this then I will believe it.

Until then we wait.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    kbz1960 and schmeat like this.
    11-07-13 07:44 PM
    IF this is true, and it actually happens, it will be extremely exciting. I hope it happens very soon!
    11-07-13 07:45 PM
    This would be pretty remarkable

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 07:45 PM
    Here's a question:

What would BlackBerry do about the apps on Google Play that don't work on the Dalvik VM even when unlocked?

How would they stop someone from downloading or worse buying something that just crashes because it uses something that isn't supported in the VM and then writing a bad review in Google Play and harassing the developers because they think it's the app's fault?

That's not going to impress Google Play's developers and pretty soon "BlackBerry 10 with Google Play" will be known as the platform where a Google Play app might run....or it might hurl up the contents of its binary stomach all over your phone's screen, it's like a lucky dip.

Hey! That's what they could call the BlackBerry version of Google Play.....Google Lucky Dip!

Posted via CB10
    There's no way Android Player is going to remain identical if this happens - it's going to need several changes made to it. But if Google were to agree to this, I'm sure BlackBerry would be more than happy to make the appropriate changes.

That's not to validate nor deny this - I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. But I'm certain it's not impossible, and if BlackBerry's management has any intelligence left in them, they must have approached Google about this at the very least.
    11-07-13 07:51 PM
    Not everything the shines is gold....

Just remember that, as for the topic, plain and simple, not gonna happen, but obviously I might be wrong
    11-07-13 07:52 PM
    Here's a question:

What would BlackBerry do about the apps on Google Play that don't work on the Dalvik VM even when unlocked?

How would they stop someone from downloading or worse buying something that just crashes because it uses something that isn't supported in the VM and then writing a bad review in Google Play and harassing the developers because they think it's the app's fault?

That's not going to impress Google Play's developers and pretty soon "BlackBerry 10 with Google Play" will be known as the platform where a Google Play app might run....or it might hurl up the contents of its binary stomach all over your phone's screen, it's like a lucky dip.

Hey! That's what they could call the BlackBerry version of Google Play.....Google Lucky Dip!

Posted via CB10
    That being said, Android has that issue right now. We have 2 Android phones, the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Note 2. Both on carrier official 4.1.2. Almost all apps from Google Play say compatible for both, but due to hardware differences, the experience is much poorer on the S2. I'm glad it can download it, but the end user experience is not the same.

My Z10 runs most sideloaded apps the best of all 3.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    felixweber and jhimmel like this.
    11-07-13 07:53 PM
    It's easy to see backlash from the BlackBerry development community, however, anything that makes BlackBerry stronger has to be the best option for all involved, including BlackBerry developers.

Competition will be tough but the best can thrive.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 07:56 PM
    There's no way Android Player is going to remain identical if this happens - it's going to need several changes made to it. But if Google were to agree to this, I'm sure BlackBerry would be more than happy to make the appropriate changes.

That's not to validate nor deny this - I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. But I'm certain it's not impossible, and if BlackBerry's management has any intelligence left in them, they must have approached Google about this at the very least.
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 07:57 PM
    This could really bring a lot more people to the platform but then again it could also detract a lot from what BB10 has to offer.

Honestly, I think it could really help equalize the playing field for us.
    11-07-13 08:01 PM
    If this were indeed to become reality, what will be the point of BlackBerry World then? Just for downloading BlackBerry-made native apps? Why would any developer want to develop native app for BlackBerry anymore? Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    11-07-13 08:02 PM
    I've just thought if a use for it, you could download BBM for Android and sign in with a different BlackBerry ID to have two BBMs on the go on one phone at the same time!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:04 PM
    Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    That's not quite what this would be but what you've said there is what I've been thinking for several months is what BlackBerry should have done instead of BB10.

It would have been at the cost of security and it's (small) enterprise market but long term that market is lost to iOS now anyway, the momentum is with Apple in workplaces, BlackBerry is in a downward spiral. May as well have turned to the Droid side.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:07 PM
    If this were indeed to become reality, what will be the point of BlackBerry World then? Just for downloading BlackBerry-made native apps? Why would any developer want to develop native app for BlackBerry anymore? Not that I would complain if my Z10 were to run Android but with BB10 UI.
    BlackBerry understands that they just can't compete without apps and aren't enough major developers on board to fix app ecosystem.

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.896
    k8bushlover likes this.
    11-07-13 08:07 PM
    1) Google sets up office in waterloo
    2) Prem Watsa makes bid
    3) Prem's bid pushed away and Prem handed lottery ticket
    4) Rumors that Play is coming to BB10
    5) ???
    6) profit

Wonder if Google is going to buy out BBRY...
    11-07-13 08:08 PM
    Yea but then bbw is useless...

Why bother having native apps at all then!?

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    Not entirely, in my opinion the apps may or may not play well together with the devices native functions/capabilities ie. notifications, address book etc... but to further prove my point look at not only the beauty of cascades but the nature of Android developers. They're generally tech geeks/nerds and typically love messing with stuff. If more and more of them become aware of BlackBerry 10 and it's capabilities I can see them jumping on board to develop much more than say an iOS or WP dev. Just a thought...
    Last edited by thisiscjay; 11-07-13 at 08:48 PM.
    11-07-13 08:09 PM
    BlackBerry understands that they just can't compete without apps and aren't enough major developers on board to fix app ecosystem.

Posted via CB10 from P'9982STK100-1/10.2.1.896
    I see you're running 10.2.1.896, have you got access to all of this?

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-07-13 08:12 PM
    Hypothetically speaking, if this were to happen then Windows Phone would be absolutely dead in the water.

Eat BlackBerry's dust Micro$oft, hypothetically.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:12 PM
    Interesting. I would hope developers will still want to develop native apps for BB10. I mean, it would be pointless if all our apps were just Android apps. Many of my apps right now are native and it is ideal, but if those developers just say forget it get the Android version I and many other BB10 users will be missing out. I'm kind of torn at this news. I want it for the sake of keeping this company making devices I like, but I don't because I would rather not have the Android apps that aren't really made for my phone. Don't get me wrong, many ported apps have actually been ported well and are pretty decent, but the native apps have always been better. They flow with the OS.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    11-07-13 08:18 PM
    I don't know what to make of this.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:20 PM
    Don't get me wrong, many ported apps have actually been ported well and are pretty decent, but the native apps have always been better. They flow with the OS.
    Trouble is right now many of those ported Android apps in BBW have been carefully selected from the available builds to make sure things work and in some cases even tweaked to fix problems specifically for usage on BB10. That would never be the case downloading apps from Google Play it would just be you get what everyone else gets and if there are problems then tough.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:24 PM
    Maybe the incentive BlackBerry can give these developers to go native is taking less of a cut from their profits than Google does. I don't really know how all that works but that could be one way.

Posted via CB10
    thisiscjay likes this.
    11-07-13 08:25 PM
    I don't know what to make of this.

Posted via CB10
    What I'm tempted to make of this right now is that I fell asleep for 5 months and woke up on the 1st of April but that's just because I've seen so many hoaxes here before.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-07-13 08:26 PM
    Google play store would be great. If bbry had to give all profits from those apps to google, it would still be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    The quick fix to the app problem
    11-07-13 08:31 PM
    I believe it would boost sell BlackBerry 10 in my country indonesia if all android apps can be used in BlackBerry

CB10 need update!
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-07-13 08:37 PM
717 1234 ...