It is a combination of multiple sensors, the Light Sensor is one of them. And in my case it seems it isn't sensitive enough for the feature.

Let me explain :

And this I found out by accident. I took a break at work and sat down on some steps out in the sun.
    I flipped my Z10 on it's face and layed it down on my thigh. I have a sound for when the phone goes in standby.
    So I heard that sound go off and wondered why that happened and it never happens like this before. So I picked it up, flipping it the screen facing me. And low and behold: it woke up on it's own!!!
    So I kept repeating it over and over again and it worked every time.
    So all happy I went inside and put it face down on a desk. Did not work anymore.
    So I went back outside and did what I did before. And it started working again.
    So the only difference was the ambient lighting I thought.
    So I put it face down on the ground and it still worked. So had nothing to do with the surface being put on.
    So then as I picked it up again, I covered the light sensor with my finger and turned it over: Nothing!
    Now it comes: I remove my finger while still holding it and the screen awakes!!!

So this must be a partially faulty light sensor or the OS is too picky about the ambient lighting to give the screen waking a go.

To whoever has the same issues, try the Advanced Interactions in bright sunlight. You might be amazed.

Solution to the problem :

There is none, unless BlackBerry adjusts the parameters or you buy a new phone.

Then I removed

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 03:14 PM
    10.3.1 killed my Light Sensor -_-
    But, good find actually, it sort of makes sense
    05-08-15 03:37 PM
    10.3.1 killed my Light Sensor -_-
    But, good find actually, it sort of makes sense
    I tried it a few more times in different environments.

Bottom line is that it needs bright light to work correctly, at least on my device. And it needs it BEFORE you put it face down already. If I put it down in inside lighting, it doesn't even shut off when out face down.
    BBVE testing passes the light sensor, but it seems confused at times about what the lighting actually is. I remember on 10.2 when I ran these sensor tests it was always starting out correctly, no matter what lighting the environment had.
    Now on 10.3.1 sometimes you pull up the test, and it won't even recognize what it currently is supposed to detect.
    You can hold your entire hand over the sensor and it should pass the "dark" category, but it won't at first.
    Same is when startling the test in bright sunlight, it should automatically detect "bright", but not always does right away.
    Essentially whenever I start that test, each time it starts out differently and you kinda have to "make" it do what it is supposed to do, by waving the hand or move it to dark and back.

I am almost convinced that there is quality differences in the light sensors that the OS can't cope with since 10.3.1.
    This is most certainly a software problem, at least mostly.

What does NOT make sense is as to why this feature NEEDS a light sensor.
    Orientation sensors should be sufficient.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 03:52 PM

What does NOT make sense is as to why this feature NEEDS a light sensor.
    Orientation sensors should be sufficient.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe so that you can use it in space? Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 03:18 AM
    I don't think it uses the light sensor at all. I think it uses the gyroscope, accelerometer and proximity sensor. It doesn't need to use a light sensor to determine if it's laying face down on a flat surface. The gyroscope and proximity sensor would be sufficient. It you lift up your phone and have your finger or hand blocking the proximity sensor then you might prevent the phone screen from waking up and might even cause it to fall asleep depending on what orientation you have the phone while your hand, finger or other object is close to the proximity sensor.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 07:57 AM
    I don't think it uses the light sensor at all. I think it uses the gyroscope, accelerometer and proximity sensor. It doesn't need to use a light sensor to determine if it's laying face down on a flat surface. The gyroscope and proximity sensor would be sufficient. It you lift up your phone and have your finger or hand blocking the proximity sensor then you might prevent the phone screen from waking up and might even cause it to fall asleep depending on what orientation you have the phone while your hand, finger or other object is close to the proximity sensor.

Posted via CB10
    Well then how is it that it works as expected in bright sunlight and not at all inside?
    05-09-15 08:23 AM
    Well then how is it that it works as expected in bright sunlight and not at all inside?
    I'll answer your question with a question. If it depended on ambient light being present or absent how would it work as expected in a completely dark room?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:02 AM
    My issue was having "stay awake" + "flip to save power" both enabled..
    They work on my passport without issue but only worked on z10 using one of the earliest 10.3.(...0?) versions, but was too sensitive. After upgrading it never worked again.

Having them enabled separately works, but when both enabled "flip to save power" seems to stop working.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    05-09-15 10:07 AM
    I'll answer your question with a question. If it depended on ambient light being present or absent how would it work as expected in a completely dark room?

Posted via CB10
    This makes sense, I agree. But it doesn't explain why I could make it work in bright sun and not working anymore as soon as I walked inside, repeating the same test. Then going back outside and it started working again.
    05-09-15 07:54 PM
    It always comes out to the same result.
    Everything works fine outdoors in the sun, but none of them indoors. I have no idea why this depends on lighting.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:45 PM
    Just watched a Leap review video showcasing fully functional advanced interactions.....makes me sad it doesn't work on my Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2576

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    ralfyguy likes this.
    05-13-15 09:21 PM
    A strange thing happened with Assistant last night, it worked!

I was catching up with a late night podcast in the dark (with the z10 face down beside me) and I picked up the phone to check how much time was left of the episode and the screen magically turned on!

To my bewilderment, I tried to recreate the actions to allow lift to wake to work again. I shut off the screen with the power button, laid the z10 face down, waited a few seconds, and picked it up top first and it worked every time.....unfortunately, during the day different story...so it seems it's more of a software optimization issue opposed to a hardware and/or screen protector obstruction and I'm crossing my fingers that the next official update will sort that out (among other things)

*ShopBB Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2576 Official w/ transform screen protector on and passed all BBVE tests

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    05-29-15 04:29 PM
    It must be ur phone because I have a passport on 10.3.1 and these features work in the dark, I'm talking, in bed with the lights off

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 07:33 PM